What is Anthroposophical Devotion?

  • tvboycott
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 28, 2006
      To all,

      How do we understand this term from an Anthroposophical point of view?

      Are there some examples to share?

      I read this in How to know higher worlds:

      "...one knows that every feeling of true devotion
      unfolded in the soul produces an inner strength or
      force that sooner or later leads to knowledge."

      as well as:

      "...Whoever possesses an innate tendency toward feelings
      of devotion, or has been lucky enough to receive an
      education that cultivated those feelings, is well prepared in
      later life to seek the way to higher knowledge. Those who
      do not bring this preparation with them will have to work
      at developing this devotional mood with vigorous self-discipline;
      if not, they will encounter difficulties after taking
      only the first few steps on the path of knowledge. In our
      time it is particularly important to focus complete attention
      on this point. Our civilization is more inclined to criticize,
      judge, and condemn than to feel devotion and selfless veneration.
      Our children criticize far more than they respect or
      revere. But just as surely as every feeling of devotion and
      reverence nurtures the soul's powers for higher knowledge,
      so every act of criticism and judgment drives these
      powers away."

      and then again this:

      "This practice should not
      remain simply an outer rule of life, but must take hold of
      the innermost part of the soul. It lies in our hands to perfect
      ourselves and gradually transform ourselves completely.
      But this transformation must take place in our
      innermost depths, in our thinking. Showing respect outwardly
      in our relations with other beings is not enough;
      we must carry this respect into our thoughts.
      Therefore we must begin our inner schooling by bringing
      devotion into our thought life. We must guard against
      disrespectful, disparaging, and criticizing thoughts. We
      must try to practice reverence and devotion in our thinking
      at all times."

      Where does the separation occur from feeling devotion to thinking
      devotion?

      Thanks,

      Michael
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 28, 2006
        Michael, do you have a page number for these quotes?
        It's hard to see what you are looking at with these
        quotes that are isolated like this. Do you have the
        book?

        My thoughts on devotion is that it is an inward
        gesture and I experience it as Love in the world. I
        don't experience it as ' a devotion to a thing or a
        being' or whathaveyou. For me its an experience of
        Love and Grace when looking out at life and also when
        relating with people and at times for supersensible
        truths that meet with our thinkings and ponderings on
        things.

        I don't understand when you say 'What is
        Anthroposophical Devotion? I never heard of such a
        thing. Or maybe it is in the way you ask the question
        that seems that there seems to be some type of
        connotation of obedience or something. Which would be
        the opposite of any true striving in Rudolf STeiner's
        work as I understand it to be. Now, some of his
        students might talk of it and take it in terms of
        their own understandings but they would not be mine
        nor have I understood them to be Rudolf Steiners. As
        best as I can understand.

        All good things,
        Dottie

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • tvboycott
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 28, 2006
          <dottie_z@...> wrote:

          > Michael, do you have a page number for these quotes?
          > It's hard to see what you are looking at with these
          > quotes that are isolated like this. Do you have the
          > book?

          The quotes are taken from pages 18 - 20. There are in the section
          describing the "Path of Reverence".

          > My thoughts on devotion is that it is an inward
          > gesture and I experience it as Love in the world. I
          > don't experience it as ' a devotion to a thing or a
          > being' or whathaveyou. For me its an experience of
          > Love and Grace when looking out at life and also when
          > relating with people and at times for supersensible
          > truths that meet with our thinkings and ponderings on
          > things.

          Thank you.

          > I don't understand when you say 'What is
          > Anthroposophical Devotion? I never heard of such a
          > thing. Or maybe it is in the way you ask the question
          > that seems that there seems to be some type of
          > connotation of obedience or something. Which would be
          > the opposite of any true striving in Rudolf STeiner's
          > work as I understand it to be. Now, some of his
          > students might talk of it and take it in terms of
          > their own understandings but they would not be mine
          > nor have I understood them to be Rudolf Steiners. As
          > best as I can understand.

          What I was thinking when I constructed the question was how is the
          word used in Anthroposophical circles.

          How did Steiner use it?

          How do other authors use it?

          How do we all use it?

          There is a rich tapestry and tradition behind words like Devotion,
          Love, Faith, Grace and Hope and I enjoy conversations that reveal
          what others see in these ideas.

          Thanks,

          Michael
        • Joel Wendt
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 28, 2006
            Dear Michael,

            "As part of the Water Trial, we don't just set aside the reactive
            feelings, but we learn how to create in the soul cultivated feelings. We
            create freely chosen cultivated moods of soul - that is intended
            feelings of reverence, wonder and so forth, which then have a salutary
            effect on the thought content that is to be produced according to where
            we let our attention come to rest. This is an example of where the
            exercises bear fruit. If we have practiced these exercises, this will
            be a great help when we then need to apply the newly learned ability to
            form cultivated moods of soul, as a prelude and foundation for thinking
            with someone in a new way.

            "With a cultivated feeling we transform the soul-soil from which the
            thought is born and then flowers (which is also why the ideal is
            expressed as: thinking with the heart)."

            joel
            http://ipwebdev.com/hermit/samod.html
            tv

            > Where does the separation occur from feeling devotion to thinking
            > devotion?
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Michael

          • tvboycott
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 29, 2006
              Thank you Joel. I read your essay and enjoyed and connected with
              it. I will be thinking about it more this weekend I am sure.

              I thought I might share a connection that seemed obvious to me.

              "Steiner also calls this attachment to our thought content, in
              certain circumstances: being captured by the concept. It can be a
              savage inner struggle - this Air Trial - to learn to forcefully set
              aside our favorite ideas of the world, a seemingly negative artistic
              act, sometimes taking months to accomplish. At the same time, their
              essential nature does not disappear, for the very same qualitative
              aspects of our true nature - our true i-AM - can once again call them
              forth. Thought does not disappear, it only becomes latent and goes
              into a kind of pralaya. The will-in-thinking is strengthened by this
              act of renunciation, and when we choose to think again concerning
              this same object of our thought, the penetrating new powers of the
              will-in-thinking (attention and intention) can call forth from this
              pralaya an ever deeper understanding of the underlying meaning and
              truth of that about which we have chosen to think (sorry again, these
              long sentences just have their way with me far too much).
              "

              This rang a bell with advice for working with children of Sanguine
              type. It is from a lecture "The Four Temperaments" by Rudolf
              Steiner. The lecture can be found at the following link:

              http://wn.rsarchive.org/Lectures/FourTemps/ForTem_index.html

              The advice he gave was, "We should see to it that the sanguine child
              is exposed to a variety of things in which he has shown a deeper
              interest. These things should be allowed to speak to him, to have an
              effect upon him. They should then be withdrawn, so that the child's
              interest in them will intensify; then they may be restored. "

              Thanks again Joel,

              Michael
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 29, 2006
                Never surprises me ever.

                Dottie

                > Thank you Joel. I read your essay and enjoyed and connected with
                > it. I will be thinking about it more this weekend I am sure.
                >
                > I thought I might share a connection that seemed obvious to me.
                >
                > "Steiner also calls this attachment to our thought content, in
                > certain circumstances: being captured by the concept. It can be a
                > savage inner struggle - this Air Trial - to learn to forcefully
                set
                > aside our favorite ideas of the world, a seemingly negative
                artistic
                > act, sometimes taking months to accomplish. At the same time,
                their
                > essential nature does not disappear, for the very same qualitative
                > aspects of our true nature - our true i-AM - can once again call
                them
                > forth. Thought does not disappear, it only becomes latent and goes
                > into a kind of pralaya. The will-in-thinking is strengthened by
                this
                > act of renunciation, and when we choose to think again concerning
                > this same object of our thought, the penetrating new powers of the
                > will-in-thinking (attention and intention) can call forth from
                this
                > pralaya an ever deeper understanding of the underlying meaning and
                > truth of that about which we have chosen to think (sorry again,
                these
                > long sentences just have their way with me far too much).
                > "
                >
                > This rang a bell with advice for working with children of Sanguine
                > type. It is from a lecture "The Four Temperaments" by Rudolf
                > Steiner. The lecture can be found at the following link:
                >
                > http://wn.rsarchive.org/Lectures/FourTemps/ForTem_index.html
                >
                > The advice he gave was, "We should see to it that the sanguine
                child
                > is exposed to a variety of things in which he has shown a deeper
                > interest. These things should be allowed to speak to him, to have
                an
                > effect upon him. They should then be withdrawn, so that the
                child's
                > interest in them will intensify; then they may be restored. "
                >

                > Thanks again Joel,
                >
                > Michael

              • tvboycott
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 2, 2006
                  Good Morning All,

                  > > Thank you Joel. I read your essay and enjoyed and connected with
                  > > it. I will be thinking about it more this weekend I am sure.

                  In your essay I found a reminder of working with my own Karma.

                  My family was trying to get out the door, into the car and onto an
                  event. I was holding my youngest, Charlotte, and Frances was already
                  on the front porch. My wife, Michele, came down the stairs and
                  informed us all that she had to brush her teeth and wash her face.

                  Arrrrrrrrghhhhh! How dare she! She had initiated this mad dash 15
                  minutes ago by saying, "Let's go." This before a change of clothes
                  and a phone call she decided she had to make. Arrrrrrrrrrrrghhhhhhh!

                  Then I was thinking why this bothers me. Just the thought of going
                  inside myself to find out why this annoying, but well known habit, of
                  dragging out the moment of departure still bothered me.

                  It didn't click then, but the activity did bring peace. At some
                  point later I realized, I'm a procrastinator. I has already known
                  that this was something I need to work on, but here is a reminder.

                  Thanks Joel,

                  Michael