Re: [anthroposophy_tomorrow] Anthroposophy, Goetheanism, Spiritual Science...

  • Joel Wendt
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 22 4:36 PM
      Dear Juliana,

      You ask good questions in fairly good English. Let's hope I can
      give as good an answer.

      Anthroposophy starts with thinking. Steiner's original books were
      about thinking and knowledge. The clairvoyant research comes later.

      Thinking is not static and the same for everyone. Steiner
      discovered that Goethe thought in a new way instinctively and wrote a
      book about it: A Theory of Knowledge Implicit in Goethe's World Conception.

      The world presents us with different phenomena, such as inorganic
      phenomena, organic phenomena and spiritual phenomena.

      Inorganic phenomena is mostly what Natural Science understands best
      - chemical changes etc. When we get to life phenomena or organic
      phenomena, this is a bit harder. Natural Science tries to apply the
      same thinking to organics as it did to inorganics. Steiner suggested
      that we follow Goethe when we look at organics and apply a different -
      an organic thinking to the living.

      Most folks in anthroposophy tend to think that this organic thinking
      or qualitatively characterizing picture thinking can only be applied to
      sense perceptible living forms - plants and animals. I have discovered
      that social forms also have "organic" qualitative aspects - that is they
      are "living" in their own way, and that we can also think them
      goetheanistically.

      Quantitative thinking concerning inorganics is thinking "about".
      Qualitative thinking concerning organics (anything "living" in the
      broadest sense) is thinking "with". This new kind of thinking recreates
      in the imagination (the qualitative characterizing picture thinking) the
      "gesture" of its object, whether a plant form, and animal or a social form.

      From this thinking "with" we can go on to a thinking "within" and
      then to a thinking "as".

      This is thinking concerning spiritual phenomena, and we first
      practice this when we think in regard to our own inward soul phenomena
      in the practice of introspection. Steiner's The Philosophy of Spiritual
      Activity (also called The Philosophy of Freedom) is the book that shows
      how to do this.

      Let's take up another theme, and relate this to the above. Steiner
      describes the human being as having an ego (or warmth) body, an astral
      (or desire) body, an etheric (or life) body and a physical body.

      Thinking "about" can comprehend the physical body. Thinking "with"
      can comprehend the etheric body. Thinking "within" can comprehend the
      astral body, and thinking "as" can comprehend the ego body. Comprehend
      in this sense means to come to direct knowledge of at least significant
      aspects of the object of that type (about, with, within and as) of
      thinking. The "idea" belonging to the object of the thinking comes into
      the thinking according to our ability to practice the different forms of
      thinking, which unfold over time progressively in the soul life through
      developmental spiritual exercises and character development (moral trials).

      So the progression is: ordinary or inorganic thinking; followed by
      goetheanistic or organic thinking, followed by spiritual thinking.
      There is a lot more that could be said, but I just wanted to give a
      brief sketch of the relationship between goetheanism and spiritual
      science as I understand it, and which seemed to interest you.

      warm regards,
      joel