Re: [anthroposophy_tomorrow] Dylan lyrics

  • Tarjei Straume
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 9, 2006
      Dottie wrote:

      >Here's a page with the new Dylan lyrics.

      Yeah, there's lots of Dylan websites out there, and I was just going
      to share something from expectingrain.com, but the site or its server
      (webhost) seems to be down.

      I learned something interesting there about a verse from my alltime
      favorite BD song, "Desolation Row":

      http://www.bobdylan.com/songs/desolation.html

      "Einstein, disguised as Robin Hood
      With his memories in a trunk
      Passed this way an hour ago
      With his friend, a jealous monk
      He looked so immaculately frightful
      As he bummed a cigarette
      Then he went off sniffing drainpipes
      And reciting the alphabet
      Now you would not think to look at him
      But he was famous long ago
      For playing the electric violin
      On Desolation Row"

      I've never intellectualized this, but it seems like there used to be
      an optimistic drive in the old days to bring cheap electricity to the
      poor (like Robin Hood helping out the poor) in the wake of nuclear
      energy, and Einstein's work had contributed to this technology, which
      was instantly used as a bomb. So that's why Einstein was "famous long
      ago" for playing the electric violin!

      I can't stop being continually amazed at Bob Dylan's superb artistic
      imagery, which lifts almost every subject matter he touches far above
      the mundane everyday-stuff into unexpected dimensions. Which is why
      he refused to be pinned down with stereotypical labels like "protest singer".