Death

  • Mike helsher
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 7, 2006
      "...The fear of death is the great night casting its shadow over the
      American paradise. Thomas Wolfe has described it unforgettably. And
      the future's first social task must then be to produce a race of
      humans too dull to know about death.

      Many feel instinctively that this is a very high price to pay for
      colored oranges.

      It may be appropriate here to recall a burial custom which has long
      been on the rise in the United States. It is a variation on lying in
      state which has a very strange effect on unprepared Europeans.

      Before cremation the corpse is taken under treatment by skilled
      beauticians. He or she is made up and treated with injections to
      restore a life-like roundness and color, the hair is arranged to look
      as much as possible as it would after a car trip or before a party,
      the eyes are opened and given a sheen, and the deceased is dressed in
      party clothes or a sports outfit, according to the person's taste and
      character. The corpse is then set in its accustomed place in the
      family living room, with a glass, an apple or a cigarette in its
      hand, its favorite phonograph records are played, its picture taken.
      Then follows the funeral.

      This - and much else - has not come about by itself. All such
      phenomena are unconscious reflections of the American view of life.
      Whether one is putting makeup on corpses or apples is immaterial.
      When a people wash themselves so much outwardly, says Thomas Wolfe,
      inwardly they must be very slovenly indeed. Washing promotes health
      and well-being, washing prolongs life. The healthier you are and the
      longer you live, the more pleasure you can squeeze out of the
      material paradise. Add artificial pineapple flavor to the pineapple
      and smear pink plastic color over it all; for under us, behind us,
      off the dance floor, outside the neon light, the Meaningless One lies
      in wait! Death, the only true snake in Eden!..."

      Jens Bjørneboe
      http://www.uncletaz.com/fearofamer.html

      The above in contrast to this below, that says that it is "luckier"
      to die. As opposed to the utter denial of most of the comsumer
      culture.

      "...What do you think has become of the young and old men?
      And what do you think has become of the women and children?

      They are alive and well somewhere,
      The smallest sprout shows there is really no death,
      And if ever there was it led forward life, and does not wait at the
      end to arrest it, And ceas'd the moment life appear'd.

      All goes onward and outward, nothing collapses,
      And to die is different from what any one supposed, and luckier.

      Has any one supposed it lucky to be born?
      I hasten to inform him or her it is just as lucky to die, and I know
      it.

      I pass death with the dying and birth with the new-wash'd babe, and
      am not contain'd between my hat and boots, And peruse manifold
      objects, no two alike and every one good, The earth good and the
      stars good, and their adjuncts all good.

      I am not an earth nor an adjunct of an earth,
      I am the mate and companion of people, all just as immortal and
      fathomless as myself, They do not know how immortal, but I know..."

      Walt Whitman [song of myself]
      http://makeashorterlink.com/?I286329BD

      Posted by Mike
    • Tarjei Straume
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 7, 2006
        It's unfortunate that Jens Bjørneboe didn't live
        long enough to write about cryonics. He would have had a real ball with that.

        Tarjei