a poem, plus some

  • laquerencia33@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 5, 2006
      Mohja Kahf - poet, author and professor of comparative literature at the
      University of Arkansas - is an proponent of progressive Islam (yes, there
      does appear to be such a thing).
      DB
      ******

      Most Wanted

      Warning: God has slipped the noose
      We must confirm the worst
      Of our righteous fears
      God has escaped the mosque
      Where we've locked him up for years
      We repeat unto you:
      God is on the loose
      He could be anywhere
      There is no telling anymore
      He is no longer the guarantor
      Of this people or that faith
      Henceforth beware:
      You may find him in heathen beauty
      Take appropriate measures:
      You may have to behave
      as though each human being
      could reflect his Face

      http://www.progressiveislam.org/literature_mohja_kahfs_most_wanted

      ***************
      "I have, over the years, come to a place where I recognize and
      publicly abhor the logic of Arab rationalizations for the killing and
      suicide-bombing of Israeli civilians. The rationale includes statements
      that "no Israeli is really a civilian, because they all must serve in the
      army" (something which the early Zionists themselves unfortunately
      affirmed, with their dangerous and provocative slogan ‘The Whole Nation, a
      Front! The Whole People, an Army!') and ‘they leave us no other means, we
      are a people stripped of an army, an infrastructure, rights to speak, to
      travel, to assemble, to change things politically, to defend our homes
      against bulldozing; how else do you expect us to resist but by disrupting
      their daily life?' This is not acceptable. Being unbearably oppressed
      does not justify targeting civilians. Being oppressed does not justify
      immorality. I and my husband are critics of Arab dictatorships, as you
      know.
      I speak out against Muslim intolerance of Jews and Christians when it
      occurs. I am no zealot for Arab injustice or justifier of Arab atrocities.
      Such a recognition — when you hear the pain of the other side and are
      willing
      to listen to the names and stories of the innocents your side has killed —
      is
      spiritually transformative." - Mohja Kahf, "Israel as Godzilla"

      www.rawi.org/godzilla-Israel.html
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 5, 2006
        Wow, I really like that poem, thanks Deborah. I think
        it not only stands obviously for Muslims but for all
        people who think God is soley theirs.

        All good things,
        Dottie

        http://mail.yahoo.com