RE: [anthroposophy_tomorrow] Prejudice

  • Tarjei Straume
    Message 1 of 104 , Sep 4, 2006
      Mike T, you wrote:

      >I appreciate the come back, but I want to say in reference to
      >'prejudice' and prejudge - I think one has the right to judge when
      >one see's so many pseudo operations 'moving in' so to speak.

      I appreciate your opinion about having the right to judge, and nobody
      can take that away from you. On the other hand, the fact that other
      people feel that they do not have that same right should also be
      respected. I also think it's sound for any anthroposophist to assume
      that there may be non-anthroposophists in existence who are more
      spiritually advanced than oneself.

      >These 'guys' guru's are out to make money.

      So am I, because we all need to eat, although my attempt to play guru
      was a total financial failure. Don't seem to have the knack for it.
      So I'm trying out other ways to make money, like in telecom services.

      The gurus out to make money on their guruhood remind me of gypsies. I
      remember having my palm read for money by a gypsy woman when I was a
      teenager. They lived in caravans and migrated around. I've known a
      few gypsies personally too, they're real hustlers, they're witty,
      charming and full of life, and they can burst into song at any
      moment, anywhere, on the bus, in a public restaurant, on the street.

      >There seems to be something of an illusion when it comes to Christ
      >and the spiritual world being all just Love.

      What a shame. I thought we had covered that very well a little time
      back. But a good thing can't be repeated too often, so here are a few reruns:

      "The all-encompassing attribute of the Godhead is not omnipotence,
      neither is it omniscience, but it is love - the attribute in respect
      of which no enhancement is possible. God is uttermost love, unalloyed
      love, is born as it were out of love, is the very substance and
      essence of love. God is pure love, not supreme wisdom, not supreme might."

      (Rudolf Steiner: "Love and its Meaning in the World" Zurich, 17th
      December, 1912, GA 143)

      "On top of the rock there will be another figure, winged but with his
      wings broken, who for this reason begins to fall into the abyss. One
      feature in the Christ figure that must be worked out with special
      artistic care is the manner in which he raises his left arm, for it
      is precisely this gesture that precipitates the breaking of the
      wings. It must not appear, however, as if the Christ Himself were
      breaking the wings of this being. Rather, the interaction of the two
      figures must be portrayed artistically to show how the Christ, by the
      very motion of raising his hand, is expressing his infinite
      compassion for this being. Yet this being cannot bear the energy
      flowing upward through arm and hand, an energy that is evidenced by
      indentations that the fingers of the extended hand seem to leave in
      the rock itself. When this being comes into proximity with the Christ
      being, he feels something that may be expressed in the words: I
      cannot bear the radiation of such purity upon me.

      "This feeling dominates so essentially as to break this upper beings
      wings and cause his imminent plunge into the abyss."

      (Rudolf Steiner: Christ in Relation to Lucifer and Ahriman, Linz, May
      18, 1915, GA 159)

      "According to the Law of Moses, adultery was a capital crime. The
      clergy brought to Jesus a woman they had caugh in the act. The law
      demanded she be stoned to death. Christ bent over and wrote in the
      sand. When Christ was alone with the woman, he asked her if they had
      not convicted her. She answered no. Christ said: "Neither do I
      convict you. Go your way and do not sin any more."

      "Christ wrote in the sand, in the earth, because the woman's sin was
      registered in the earth's karma. The law of karma is the only just
      punisher. For this reason, no human being has the right to punish or
      seek revenge upon other human beings."

      "Hennacy was inspired by the "true rebel Jesus" and his idea about
      God "was not an authority I obeyed like a monarch, but a principle of
      kindness as it was presented by Jesus in the Sermon on the Mount." If
      the forces of government conflicted with his ideals, he would follow
      his ideals and disobey the government. Hennacy spoke of the "one man
      revolution in the heart" based upon voluntary poverty and pacifism.
      When summing up his spiritual heritage, he wrote: "Jesus, St.
      Francis, Tolstoi, and Gandhi followed a path which teaches us to love
      our enemy, create justice, abolish exploitation, and to trust God
      instead of politicians and governments."

      "In the preface to his autobiography, Hennacy gave the clearest and
      most expressive declaration of his principles and their origin in Christianity:

      ' Christian Anarchism is based upon Jesus' reply to the Pharisees
      when he said that he who was without sin should throw the first
      stone; and upon the Sermon on the Mount which suggests that we answer
      evil with good and turn the other cheek. Therefore, when we
      participate in government in any way by casting votes for
      legislating, judging, or ruling bureacracies, then we make these
      people into our arm with which we throw a stone and deny the Sermon
      on the Mount.

      ' The dictionary definition of Christian is: One who follows Jesus,
      kind, good, Christ-like. Anarchism is voluntary cooperation for the
      good, with right to emulation. A Christian anarchist is, therefore,
      one who turns the other cheek, throws over the money table in the
      temple, and does not need a cop to tell him how to behave. A
      Christian anarchist does not invest his trust in bullets or ballots
      to reach his ideal; he achieves this ideal daily through his one man
      revolution with which he meets a decadent, confused, and dying world. ' "

      (TS: "Christos Anarchos", 1996)

      >He and his servants are also fighters.

      Yep, but it is not necessary to be disdainful or prejudicial in order
      to fight. On the contrary, it is the adversary who fills one's heart
      with prejudice, judgementalism, disdain, contempt etc. The enemy to
      be fought is inside ourselves.

      >If one doesnt fight, the adverserial powers win the day.

      True. If the Opposing Powers have succeeded in making oneself
      prejudicial or disdainful, they may have won a battle, but if we put
      an end to such feelings, we still have a chance to win the war.

      >I see these infiltrations as nothing less than the adversaries.

      Human beings are more than inflitrations. You didn't say you
      disdained "these infiltrations" but "these people". Their young
      children included? Even at the moment of grief when having lost a
      loved one, perhaps a child, would you feel nothing but disdain for them?

      >And it calls to mind that Steiners writings should always be
      >associated to his name - this is what he wanted; and why? because
      >exactly of this type of cancer spreading and usurption of all that
      >stands for something that we see today.

      Personally, I try to be on the lookout for cancerous dirt in my own
      soul and in my own behavior. As my posts can testify, I'm certainly
      not free from these things, but I don't pretend to be either, which
      means that I always look up to and admire people with better souls
      than mine, and most such people are not anthroposophists.

    • oealan
      Message 104 of 104 , Sep 13, 2006
        >>> Having children `at our disposal for demonstration'!!!!!

        I am not sure if I want to read on :( :(

        Love Adrian

        Hello Adrian. Personally, between translations and the time period, I
        wouldn't put any merit to the words "at our disposal". Could be as
        well you're simply not interested in reading on, which is fine of