Re: the stupid majority

  • Tarjei Straume
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 30, 2006
      Mike, you wrote:

      >Ok Im on a roll now:
      >http://www.freewebs.com/thefishercat/thestupidmajority.htm
      >
      >Mike

      Thank you for taking us down Televangelism Circus Memory Lane. Ah, do
      I remember Jimmy Swaggart, and Paul and Jane Crouch at the Trinity
      Broadcast Network who built Satelites for Jesus and collected
      deposits for God's bank account. To accomplish this, they had this
      monthly or quarterly Praisathon where they wept and wept on stage to
      express their painful efforts at getting the million bucks Jesus
      needed so badly. Paul had to struggle to get his tears rolling, but
      not Jan. She was a natural. Her thick mascara dripped to the floor
      soaked in tears, making quite an impression. And yet, nobody could
      compete with Jimmy weeping for Jesus. He was literally up to his
      waist in tears, and not just once a month, but every night.

      I liked that Noam Chomsky quote, "Propaganda is to democracy what
      violence is to a dictatorship." Reminds me of the Beat poets.

      Below are a few words from Allen Ginsberg's poem from 1956 "America"
      - wow, that's fifty years ago! What's changed? Only that unpatriotic
      subversives are no longer called communists but something else.....

      Tarjei

      http://www.rooknet.com/beatpage/writers/ginsberg.html

      America I used to be a communist when I was a kid and I'm not sorry.
      I smoke marijuana every chance I get.
      I sit in my house for days on end and stare at the roses in the closet.
      When I go to Chinatown I get drunk and never get laid.
      My mind is made up there's going to be trouble.
      You should have seen me reading Marx.
      My psychoanalyst thinks I'm perfectly right.
      I won't say the Lord's Prayer.
      I have mystical visions and cosmic vibrations.
      America I still haven't told you what you did to Uncle Max after he came over
      from Russia.

      I'm addressing you.
      Are you going to let our emotional life be run by Time Magazine?
      I'm obsessed by Time Magazine.
      I read it every week.
      Its cover stares at me every time I slink past the corner candystore.
      I read it in the basement of the Berkeley Public Library.
      It's always telling me about responsibility. Businessmen are serious. Movie
      producers are serious. Everybody's serious but me.
      It occurs to me that I am America.
      I am talking to myself again.

      Asia is rising against me.
      I haven't got a chinaman's chance.
      I'd better consider my national resources.
      My national resources consist of two joints of marijuana millions of genitals
      an unpublishable private literature that goes 1400 miles and hour and
      twentyfivethousand mental institutions.
      I say nothing about my prisons nor the millions of underpriviliged who live in
      my flowerpots under the light of five hundred suns.
      I have abolished the whorehouses of France, Tangiers is the next to go.
      My ambition is to be President despite the fact that I'm a Catholic.

      America how can I write a holy litany in your silly mood?
      I will continue like Henry Ford my strophes are as individual as his
      automobiles more so they're all different sexes
      America I will sell you strophes $2500 apiece $500 down on your old strophe
      America free Tom Mooney
      America save the Spanish Loyalists
      America Sacco Vanzetti must not die
      America I am the Scottsboro boys.
      America when I was seven momma took me to Communist Cell meetings they
      sold us garbanzos a handful per ticket a ticket costs a nickel and the
      speeches were free everybody was angelic and sentimental about the
      workers it was all so sincere you have no idea what a good thing the party
      was in 1935 Scott Nearing was a grand old man a real mensch Mother
      Bloor made me cry I once saw Israel Amter plain. Everybody must have
      been a spy.
      America you don're really want to go to war.
      America it's them bad Russians.
      Them Russians them Russians and them Chinamen. And them Russians.
      The Russia wants to eat us alive. The Russia's power mad. She wants to take
      our cars from out our garages.
      Her wants to grab Chicago. Her needs a Red Reader's Digest. her wants our
      auto plants in Siberia. Him big bureaucracy running our fillingstations.
      That no good. Ugh. Him makes Indians learn read. Him need big black niggers.
      Hah. Her make us all work sixteen hours a day. Help.
      America this is quite serious.
      America this is the impression I get from looking in the television set.
      America is this correct?
      I'd better get right down to the job.
      It's true I don't want to join the Army or turn lathes in precision parts
      factories, I'm nearsighted and psychopathic anyway.
      America I'm putting my queer shoulder to the wheel.