RE: [anthroposophy_tomorrow] To vote, or not to vote, that is the question.

  • Squee (a.k.a) Jared
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 25, 2006
      I'd go two ways in perspective on that; the first being that a dollar is
      equivalent to a vote in modern capitalism in the sense that the corporation
      has become a party/Statist institution - so, therefore the dollar is just as
      ineffectual as the vote is in the infantile phases of representational
      democracy (unless that dollar could fund an actual individual instead of a
      "corporate person"). The second is that it is of course a perpetuation of
      an oppressive structure; but, boycott is hardly a worthwhile activity
      compared to the sacrifices when there is no cohesive participation in the
      boycott and the company (especially a corporation) suffers no real loss if
      not only reallocates funds and reifies techniques to compensate for whatever
      loss is caused.

      In ideological differences with an economically based ideology like the
      predominant one(s) in the present world, it is probably more worth-while to
      focus on promoting the social aspects of the supported ideology to increase
      the positive associations rather than emphasize the negatives (the antis)...
      alternatives I feel are the precedent in struggle. I do not know from what
      I have discovered in relative locality to be alternatives of many that would
      benefit from the dollars spent at wall-mart because these alternatives are
      not providing toiletries and furnishings... but, if there are established
      alternatives which do supply the products which are considered necessary to
      obtain then that dollar I would say is unethically spent.