Friendship

  • Mike helsher
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 20, 2006
      A ruddy drop of manly blood
      The surging sea outweighs,
      The world uncertain comes and goes,
      The lover rooted stays.
      I fancied he was fled,
      And, after many a year,
      Glowed unexhausted kindliness
      Like daily sunrise there.
      My careful heart was free again, —
      O friend, my bosom said,
      Through thee alone the sky is arched,
      Through thee the rose is red,
      All things through thee take nobler form,
      And look beyond the earth,
      And is the mill-round of our fate
      A sun-path in thy worth.
      Me too thy nobleness has taught
      To master my despair;
      The fountains of my hidden life
      Are through thy friendship fair.

      ESSAY VI Friendship

      We have a great deal more kindness than is ever spoken. Maugre all
      the selfishness that chills like east winds the world, the whole human
      family is bathed with an element of love like a fine ether. How many
      persons we meet in houses, whom we scarcely speak to, whom yet we
      honor, and who honor us! How many we see in the street, or sit with in
      church, whom, though silently, we warmly rejoice to be with! Read the
      language of these wandering eye-beams. The heart knoweth.

      The effect of the indulgence of this human affection is a certain
      cordial exhilaration. In poetry, and in common speech, the emotions of
      benevolence and complacency which are felt towards others are likened
      to the material effects of fire; so swift, or much more swift, more
      active, more cheering, are these fine inward irradiations. From the
      highest degree of passionate love, to the lowest degree of good-will,
      they make the sweetness of life....

      http://www.emersoncentral.com/friendship.htm

      Best

      Mike