Schweitzer (conclusion)

  • Frank Smith
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 31, 2006

      Albert Schweitzer also reported on this meeting to the director Bruno Walter:

      "The result was that I continually occupied myself with him [Steiner] and was always conscious of his importance. What we had in common is that we both want to have culture stand in place of un-culture. This bond arose in Strasburg. He expected culture from ethical thinking and the knowledge of spiritual science. According to my nature, I had to stay with letting it arise through concentration on the true being of the ethical. In this way I came to the ethics of "Reverence for Life" and hoped for the impulse for the emergence of culture from it. I know that Rudolf Steiner regretted my remaining in the old way of thinking. But we had both experienced the same responsibility to lead men to true culture again."

      Albert Schweitzer reported to Camille Schneider in Strasburg in 1951:

      "Our goals are the same. Our paths are apparently different. Whereas Rudolf Steiner as spiritual researcher advances towards the experience of Christ by means of exercises, thinking and mystic, I have attempted through thoughtful knowledge of eschatological content of his teachings to encounter Christ Jesus. And I encounter him daily in my work with the blacks of Africa. From this twofold experience I derive the foundation of my life's ethic. That is what matters to me."

      In 1922, after the First World War, Albert Schweitzer visited Rudolf Steiner in Dornach. Camille Schneider reports:

      "…Albert Schweitzer informed me that he once visited Rudolf Steiner in Dornach. He couldn't say exactly in what year. He spoke with him about the necessity, after the First World War, for a new penetration of cultural life with religious impulses and that he recognized him to be a great man, who with comprehensive knowledge and astounding wisdom transforms all the information and opinions we hear or read daily without always understanding their deeper meanings. 'An initiate in the sense of Edouard Schuré", Dr. Schweitzer added, because shortly before we had spoken about Schuré and his book 'The Great Initiates'."

      Emil Bock dates this meeting in autumn, 1922:

      "Many years ago – it was 1922, we were in preparation for the founding of the Christian Community – in Dornach, and I went to Dr. Steiner in order to ask him something. He received me with glowing eyes: Just think! Albert Schweitzer was with me today. He is really an important person."

      Several months before his death, Schweitzer again emphasized what was most meaningful in his encounters with Rudolf Steiner. He wrote in a letter from Lambarene to the composer Karl von Balz on June 14, 1965:

      "Perhaps it will interest you to know that Rudolf Steiner and I were friends, although we didn't have the same ideas. It was a deep friendship. We were happy about every meeting."

      All this is from the book: "Der Andere Rudolf Steiner"

      Frank Thomas Smith
      http://SouthernCrossReview.org
    • Mike helsher
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 31, 2006
        --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Smith" wrote:

        > "Our goals are the same. Our paths are apparently different.
        Whereas Rudolf
        > Steiner as spiritual researcher advances towards the experience of
        Christ by
        > means of exercises, thinking and mystic, I have attempted through
        thoughtful
        > knowledge of eschatological content of his teachings to encounter
        Christ
        > Jesus. And I encounter him daily in my work with the blacks of
        Africa. From
        > this twofold experience I derive the foundation of my life's ethic.
        That is
        > what matters to me."

        Thanks for this thread Frank! this part jumped out at me in light of
        the idea of "Christ denying Jews".

        Mike
      • Tarjei Straume
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 31, 2006
          This is a priceless gem, Frank - I had no idea. Amazing to discover
          that these two exceptionally admirable men not only knew each other,
          but were very warm friends.

          I hope you're publishing this in the SCR ! Where did you find all this stuff?

          Tarjei
        • Frank Smith
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 31, 2006
            On 7/31/06, Tarjei Straume <hisholiness@...> wrote:
            This is a priceless gem, Frank - I had no idea. Amazing to discover
            that these two exceptionally admirable men not only knew each other,
            but were very warm friends.

            I hope you're publishing this in the SCR ! Where did you find all this stuff?

            When you included Schweitzer with Gandhi as "Christ deniers" (ironically of course), I remembered reading his "The Quest for the Historical Jesus" many years ago, and how greatly it impressed me, especially the last chapter: "Results". So I looked for it on Google, found it and sent that last chapter to the list. There's also a much more recent book in German: "Der Andere Rudolf Steiner" (2005 Pforte Verlag, Dornach), from which the Schweitzer piece comes, and which collects writings and anecdotes about Steiner mostly before he became "Der Doktor" - not all complementary.  I had  already translated and published one of the entries in SCR: http://www.southerncrossreview.org/42/zweig2.htm  by Sefan Zweig - which is really worth reading if you haven't already. And I will now certainly also publish the Schweitzer one. So thanks to you for bring it up - albeit in a roundabout way.
            Frank
            P.S: Here's a picure from the same book whuch Steve H. may want to hang in his private chapel. http://southerncrossreview.org/48/steiner-simpl.htm . The caption beneath reads: "I am the Lord, my God. I cannot bear other gods beside me."
            "Caracature by Th. Heine, Simplicissimus, 4.20.25"

          • Steve Hale
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 1, 2006
              --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Smith"
              <ftsster@...> wrote:
              <snip>
              > P.S: Here's a picure from the same book whuch Steve H. may want to
              hang in
              > his private chapel. http://southerncrossreview.org/48/steiner-
              simpl.htm .
              > The caption beneath reads: "I am the Lord, my God. I cannot bear
              other gods
              > beside me."
              > "Caracature by Th. Heine, Simplicissimus, 4.20.25"

              Well, coming less than thirty days after his death, it appears to be a
              mocking gesture of: "good riddance".

              Steve
            • Frank Smith
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 2, 2006
                On 8/1/06, Steve Hale <sardisian01@...> wrote:
                --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Smith"
                <ftsster@...> wrote:
                <snip>
                > P.S: Here's a picure from the same book whuch Steve H. may want to
                hang in
                > his private chapel. http://southerncrossreview.org/48/steiner-
                simpl.htm .
                > The caption beneath reads: "I am the Lord, my God. I cannot bear
                other gods
                > beside me."
                > "Caracature by Th. Heine, Simplicissimus, 4.20.25"

                Well, coming less than thirty days after his death, it appears to be a
                mocking gesture of:  "good riddance".

                Steve
                Of course it is - and more. But from that remark I'm getting the impression that we may have misjudged you, Steve. Your problem may be more naivete than what we have been criticizing you for.

                Frank

              • Steve Hale
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 2, 2006
                  <ftsster@...> wrote:
                  > > Steve
                  > > Of course it is - and more. But from that remark I'm getting the
                  > > impression that we may have misjudged you, Steve. Your problem may
                  be more
                  > > naivete than what we have been criticizing you for.
                  >

                  > Frank

                  Maybe so, Frank. In fact, I think you've touched on something very
                  important; Steve's sincere naivety of the chaos that he has caused. You
                  see, he asked a very naive question in the first place, which opened a
                  can of worms that he can't be expected to control. The criticism is
                  beyond his ken of comprehension, as he has no savvy, and is rather
                  apolitical. Maybe it would be more correct to say that he is a schmuck.
                  At least a schmuck knows something.

                  Steve