Re: [anthroposophy_tomorrow] Schweitzer - was: Humility Revisited

  • Frank Smith
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 30, 2006

      Actually Albert Schweizter and Rudolf Steiner were friends. The following is from Schweitzer's memoirs (my translation):

      "My encounter with Rudolf Steiner took place on the occasion of a theosophical conference in Strasbourg. If I'm not mistaken, it was in 1902 or 1903. Annie Besant, with whom I was acquainted through Strasbourg friends, introduced us.

      At that time Rudolf Steiner acted in connection with the Theosophical Society, not so much because he shared its convictions, but because he found in its members the possibility to find understanding and interest for the spiritual truths which he had to make known.

      I knew that he had completed a work about Goethen studies in Weimar. He of course knew nothing of the young Strasbourg University instructor [Schweitzer] who was occupied with Kant's philosophy and the problems of the life of Jesus research. He was fourteen years older than I.

      The language mostly used at that theosophical conference was French. So they counted on me, because I spoke German, to take care of the Austrian guest, which I gladly did. I arranged it so we were neighbors at meals during the conference. From the beginning on he was the talker and I the listener and questioner.

      Before we had consumed the soup, the discussion arose of itself about his studies on Goethe in Weimar and about his [Goethe's] Weltanschauung (world view). I immediately became aware that my neighbor possessed extensive knowledge in the field of natural science. It was a great surprise to me that he spoke of the need to recognize the importance of Goethe's knowledge of nature. In his researches he had been able to penetrate from superficial knowledge of the sense world to a more profound knowledge based on its spiritual being. I knew something about Goethe's natural scientific writing and the places where he sought a perceptual knowledge.

      My table partner realized that he had an attentive listener beside him. He held a lecture. We forgot that we were supposed to be eating."  (to be continued)

      --
      Frank Thomas Smith
      http://SouthernCrossReview.org