Morally Free?

  • Mike helsher
    Message 1 of 146 , Jul 1, 2006
      I've been poking around with the idea of study again and came across
      this:

      http://www.onlinehumanities.com/spiritual-science.html

      "Spiritual Science was the term Rudolf Steiner used from spiritual
      investigations through a rigorous and careful process to achieve a
      high standard of accuracy. Accurate results through spiritual science
      could be achieved by careful and meticulous work on the seekers part
      to develop a high moral and spiritual character, so that his or her
      own inner distortions would not taint spiritual visions of the higher
      worlds. Seekers at similar levels of development could then achieve
      similar understandings of reality, much in the same way that
      scientists may explore the material world, thus promoting a
      scientific spiritual investigation. These spiritual understandings
      can be attained by a path of spiritual development as laid out in
      many of Rudolf Steiner's books, such as How to Know Higher Worlds and
      Spiritual Knowledge as an Intuitive Path. Although mystical
      perception was a part of this, character development and the proper
      balance of thinking, willing and feeling was an important part of
      self development towards a true spiritual science."

      So.

      With all the contradictory ideas floating around on this here list,
      I'm left wondering if we just ain't there yet. Though I suppose that
      there is on occasion a glimpse of truth to be had here and there, but
      so much seems tainted with a bunch of lower-self hogwash. Course it
      indeed takes one to know one here..:) And as Basement supervisor, I'm
      sure you'll all agree that I'm pretty well versed in lower-self
      Hogwash.

      Interesting thing that I notice lately, is that I really don't meet
      anyone with words, but more so with the lingering thoughts that
      sometimes congeal months, or years later.

      There was an old saying kicking around in the Twelve step groups that
      I used to attend that said:

      "Don't leave five minuets before the miracle happens".

      I think it's a good idea to not leave five, or fifteen years, or
      perhaps in our case, a couple hundred years, before the miracle
      happens as well...:)

      Lets chew on this stuff for a few, especially the idea that "If we
      both really draw from the idea, and are not obeying any external
      impulses (physical or spiritual), then we cannot but meet in the same
      striving, in having the same intentions. A moral misunderstanding, a
      clash between men who are morally free, is out of the question."

      From the POF:

      When we look for the laws (concepts) underlying the conduct of
      individuals, peoples and epochs, we obtain a system of ethics, not as
      a science of moral rules, but as a natural philosophy of morality. It
      is true that laws obtained in this way are related to human conduct,
      as the laws of nature are related to a particular phenomenon. But
      they are not at all identical with the impulses upon which we base
      our conduct. If one wants to grasp the means by which man's action
      springs from his moral will, then one must first consider the
      relation of this will to the action. One must first select actions
      where this relation is the determining factor. If I, or someone else,
      reflect on such an action later, then can be discovered upon what
      principle of morality the action is based. While I am acting I am
      moved to act by the moral principle insofar as it lives in me
      intuitively; the moral principle is united with my love for what I
      want to accomplish by my deed. I ask no man and no code, Shall I do
      this? -rather I do it the moment I have grasped the idea of it. This
      alone makes it my action. The deeds of a person who acts solely
      because he acknowledges a definite moral standard, come about as a
      result of a principle which is part of his moral code. He is merely
      the agent. He is a higher kind of automaton. If some impulse to
      action enters his consciousness, then at once the clockwork of his
      moral principle will be set in motion and run to rule, in order to
      bring about a deed which is Christian, or humane, or is deemed
      unselfish, or to further the progress of culture. Only when I follow
      my love for the object is it I myself who acts. At this level of
      morality I do not act because I acknowledge a ruler over me, an
      external authority, or a so-called inner voice. I do not acknowledge
      any external principle for my conduct, because I have found the
      source of my conduct within myself, namely, my love for the deed. I
      do not prove intellectually whether my deed is good or bad; I do it
      out of my love for it. My action will be "good" if my intuition,
      immersed in love, exists in the right way within the relationship
      between things; this can be experienced intuitively; the action will
      be "bad" if this is not the case. Nor do I ask myself: How would
      another person act in my place? -rather I act, as I, as this
      particular individuality, find my will motivated to act. I am not
      guided directly by what happens to be the usual thing, the general
      habit, some general human code or moral standard, but solely by my
      love for this deed. I feel no compulsion-neither the compulsion of
      nature which rules me through my instincts, nor the compulsion of
      moral commands. Rather, I simply carry out what lies within me.

      An action is felt to be free insofar as the reason for it springs
      from the ideal part of my individual being; any other part of an
      action, irrespective of whether it is carried out under the
      compulsion of nature or under the obligation of a moral code, is felt
      to be unfree...

      "The difference between me and my fellow men is not at all because we
      live in two quite different spiritual worlds, but because from the
      world of ideas which we share, he receives different intuitions from
      mine. He wants to live out his intuitions, I mine. If we both really
      draw from the idea, and are not obeying any external impulses
      (physical or spiritual), then we cannot but meet in the same
      striving, in having the same intentions. A moral misunderstanding, a
      clash between men who are morally free, is out of the question. Only
      the morally unfree who follow natural instincts or some accepted
      command of duty, turn away from a fellow-man if he does not follow
      the same instinct and the same command as themselves. To live in love
      of the action and to let live, having understanding for the other
      person's will, is the fundamental principle of free human beings.
      They know no other "ought" than that with which their will is
      intuitively in accord; how they shall will in a particular instance,
      their power of ideation will tell them."

      Morally free regards

      Mike
    • Deborah
      Message 146 of 146 , Aug 6 7:00 PM
        Bootlicker? I thought the theme of the week was sock sucking (I adore
        alliteration).

        Deborah