Faith and Reason

  • Joel Wendt
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 26, 2006
      Bradford provided in quotes, without revealing the source (if you
      wouldn't mind in the future, Bradford, to be more careful here - it
      makes for some confusion for those of us wanting to know the "voice"
      that is speaking):

      "Descartes had felt that it was sufficient to establish the
      authority of reason, and to show that reason contains within itself
      the elemental truths of religion as well as of science. Faith, no
      less than reason, is required, and faith is the gift of God. Our
      knowledge of both the natural and the supernatural is rooted in
      human reason; they have a common source. Saint Thomas held that
      there was a sphere of natural reason and, above this, a region known
      by faith through revelation. Faith, however, is not opposed to
      reason, nor is reason opposed to faith. <snip>

      Joel responds, quoting himself:

      "Now, when we travel in this landscape in the thought-world it appears
      as pictures. And, with this apprehension of the thought-world as
      pictures we come to what seems to be its astral nature. That is the
      ethereal landscape is penetrated by astral elements, which with our
      mutual picturing thinking (our thinking and the thinking of the
      community of inspiration) results in co-created mobile pictures.

      "Then we come to the final feature of the thought-world - its Logos
      Nature, or what Steiner tried to point our thinking toward in suggesting
      we keep awake to the logic of a thought. The thought-world has a
      Michaelic ethereal aspect, a Sophianic astral aspect and a Christic I-AM
      aspect. In apprehending the Christic or Logos Nature of the
      thought-world we come to its essential I nature. In the natural
      logicality of thought we meet the Christ (e.g. I am the Way, the Truth
      and the Life etc.).

      "Our thinking can then become a kind of breathing, wherein we breath in
      and ascend through the abstract conceptual element, to the picture
      element and then to its logical organism or Logos Nature. After which
      we breath out and return the same way, until we act in the world, either
      recording our experience in words by writing, or sharing through
      speaking, or in the case of a moral dilemma, through action."

      now ending with Steiner, from Occult Science:

      "One who wholeheartedly pursues the train of thought indicated in these
      books [the epistemologies] is already in the spiritual world; only it
      makes itself known to him as a thought-world."

      joel