Re: [anthroposophy_tomorrow] Re: understanding antisemitism

  • Peter Staudenmaier
    Message 1 of 31 , Mar 1 7:46 PM
      Hi Linda, you wrote:

      "Before continuing, I'd like to interject a question:  Why do you insist on using the term "antisemitism" to explore "this theme","

      I use the term philosemitism as well. Surely this did not escape your notice?

      "when it's been born out that the "general" everybody fails to understand the term as you prefer to define it, thus "distracting" from your meaning?"

      What I presented are not my personal preferences. I urge you to consult the existing historical literature on antisemitism.

      "The only explanation which comes to mind would be that you prefer using the term because it is emotionally explosive and implies Steiner is somehow implicated in Germany's "Final Solution" "

      That makes no sense, Linda. I explicitly reject the interpretation you just imputed to me. Steiner was not implicated in the Final Solution.

      "The point is that disputes about "assimilation" and what it implied were the historical context in which Steiner's remarks were made."

      No kidding.

      "They were contributions to the debate."

      Indeed. Some of his contributions to this debate were philosemitic and others antisemitic, in my view.

      "These are highly charged issues that only become more polarized and incomprehensible when one side tries to identify the other as "racist" or anti-whatever."

      I disagree completely. In both the French case and the US case, racist beliefs play an important role within anti-immigration discourse.

      "Could you be more specific about what you think Steiner was advocating?  That they be converted to Christianity?"

      Steiner wasn't clear about this, though conversion was part (an ambivalent part) of Thieben's proferred "solution". For other assimilationist antisemites at the time, intermarriage was more important than conversion. Steiner did hold it against Jews that "they marry among themselves"; he neglected the fact that non-Jewish Germans also overwhelmingly married among themselves.

      "People make remarks like this in other contexts all the time even now"

      Indeed. Some of those remarks are antisemitic. Some are racist. Some are neither of these things.

      Peter

      Mit schönen Grüßen von Yahoo! Mail.
      Für die Bilder Ihrer Lieben - Yahoo! Fotos - kostenlos!

    • holderlin66
      Message 31 of 31 , Jul 29, 2004
        Man of Peace

        by Bob Dylan

        Look out your window, baby, there's a scene you'd like to catch,
        The band is playing "Dixie," a man got his hand outstretched.
        Could be the Fuhrer
        Could be the local priest.
        You know sometimes
        Satan comes as a man of peace.

        He got a sweet gift of gab, he got a harmonious tongue,
        He knows every song of love that ever has been sung.
        Good intentions can be evil,
        Both hands can be full of grease.
        You know that sometimes Satan comes as a man of peace.

        Well, first he's in the background, then he's in the front,
        Both eyes are looking like they're on a rabbit hunt.
        Nobody can see through him,
        No, not even the Chief of Police.
        You know that sometimes Satan comes as a man of peace.

        Well, he catch you when you're hoping for a glimpse of the sun,
        Catch you when your troubles feel like they weigh a ton.
        He could be standing next to you,
        The person that you'd notice least.
        I hear that sometimes Satan comes as a man of peace.

        Well, he can be fascinating, he can be dull,
        He can ride down Niagara Falls in the barrels of your skull.
        I can smell something cooking,
        I can tell there's going to be a feast.
        You know that sometimes Satan comes as a man of peace.

        He's a great humanitarian, he's a great philanthropist,
        He knows just where to touch you, honey, and how you like to be
        kissed.
        He'll put both his arms around you,
        You can feel the tender touch of the beast.
        You know that sometimes Satan comes as a man of peace.

        Well, the howling wolf will howl tonight, the king snake will crawl,
        Trees that've stood for a thousand years suddenly will fall.
        Wanna get married? Do it now,
        Tomorrow all activity will cease.
        You know that sometimes Satan comes as a man of peace.

        Somewhere Mama's weeping for her blue-eyed boy,
        She's holding them little white shoes and that little broken toy
        And he's following a star,
        The same one them three men followed from the East.
        I hear that sometimes Satan comes as a man of peace.