Re: [anthroposophy_tomorrow] Re: Myth and legend/Judas

  • Mike Helsher
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 1, 2004
      > If Christ can 'forgive' and even give of Himself to
      > one who supposedly betrayed a human much loved by all
      > imagine what we are called to in our daily lives.
      >
      > Dottie

      Hey Dottie, your probably getting sick of me sending you Rembrandt pictures
      to look at, but check this one out any way:
      http://makeashorterlink.com/?O23221497

      Seems that Rembrandt had some kind of forgiveness in mind with this
      portrayal of Judas.

      All the best,

      Mike
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 1, 2004
        Mike wrote:
        > Hey Dottie, your probably getting sick of me sending
        > you Rembrandt pictures
        > to look at, but check this one out any way:
        > http://makeashorterlink.com/?O23221497

        Hey Mike,

        I actually am getting to be fascinated by Rembrandt in
        a way. I love that you keep putting him in there for
        me to check out. He actually drew the one picture of
        Da Vinci's Last Supper that really bespeaks a cosmic
        understanding of great wealth. I am going to check out
        some more of Rembrandt as soon as I get a chance. What
        is the greatest of all Rembrandts work in your mind
        pertaining to the Christ?

        In looking at the picture offered up I am struck by
        the one surrounded by blinding light or actually is
        blinding light. What is that all about? Also I am
        confused to exactly who is being portrayed as Judas:
        is it the one in all black bent down to the left or
        the man to the right with his hands in the air. I
        checked out two different pictures on the site.

        In reading the gospels I clearly felt that Judas was
        set up in a way. Then I came to understand that Satan
        entered in 'after' Jesus okayed for it to be. It was
        on Jesus' word that the final leg of the journey began
        and it was with a little push from Jesus as well.
        Reminds me a moment of Job in that he was forsaken but
        this time it is to further the cause of Christ. Again
        I think we also might keep in mind the idea that Judas
        indeed was the greatest warrior of the Jewish
        Maccabbee family that ends the OT.

        Did you get a chance to check out the page I posted
        regarding the Beloved Disciple. The page with the
        Catholic scholar speaks to an interconnecting idea
        that dates back to the OT. I still haven't
        contemplated that yet but it is pretty interesting.

        All my love,

        http://antispam.yahoo.com/tools
      • Mike Helsher
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 1, 2004
          Hi Dottie, You wrote:
          >What
          > is the greatest of all Rembrandts work in your mind
          > pertaining to the Christ?

          There are so many Dottie that it's hard to really chose. I am struck by one
          that I can't find online where the Christ-child is the only sorce of light
          in the painting.

          I also think that a study of his self-portriats over the course of his life,
          is a great example of him coming to know the Christ within himself.

          > In looking at the picture offered up I am struck by
          > the one surrounded by blinding light or actually is
          > blinding light. What is that all about? Also I am
          > confused to exactly who is being portrayed as Judas:
          > is it the one in all black bent down to the left or
          > the man to the right with his hands in the air. I
          > checked out two different pictures on the site.

          http://makeashorterlink.com/?O23221497

          Judas is the one kneeling with his hands clasped and if you can make it out,
          there is a look of anguish on his face. He has returned the silver coins to
          the treacherous Pharisees, some of which are shunning him, and others are
          looking at him in awe, as he begs for forgiveness. Here is a little excerpt
          from an essay that I wrote about him a couple of years ago that I called
          "Rembrandt and the evolution of Human freedom":

          "One of Rembrandt's early paintings is a profound example of the beginnings
          of the expression of his own inner freedom: "Judas returning the Thirty
          Pieces of silver" was painted when he was just 23 years old. Here is a
          picture that is not a typical portrayal of a Biblical theme. In the bottom
          center we see soft glancing light cast partially onto the silver pieces that
          have been strewn onto the floor by the obviously tormented Judas, who is
          kneeling and clutching his hands in anguish. The closest of the group of
          treacherous Pharisees who commissioned him is gesturing with his hand and
          turning his head in disgust, as he greedily discusses amongst his
          conspirators their recent triumph.

          Rembrandt's willingness to portray Judas in this manner shows us a not too
          common ability to see a traitor as a human being -- a human being who is in
          pain and obviously wishing to redeem himself. This is a prime example of an
          aspect of inner freedom. A freedom from the one-sidedness of condemnation,
          and also the freedom that is offered in the ability to forgive. That
          Rembrandt could portray this kind of empathy at such a young age is indeed
          astounding."

          > In reading the gospels I clearly felt that Judas was
          > set up in a way. Then I came to understand that Satan
          > entered in 'after' Jesus okayed for it to be. It was
          > on Jesus' word that the final leg of the journey began
          > and it was with a little push from Jesus as well.
          > Reminds me a moment of Job in that he was forsaken but
          > this time it is to further the cause of Christ. Again
          > I think we also might keep in mind the idea that Judas
          > indeed was the greatest warrior of the Jewish
          > Maccabbee family that ends the OT.

          Wow, I didn't know that. It ads quite the significance when you think of it
          like that.

          > Did you get a chance to check out the page I posted
          > regarding the Beloved Disciple. The page with the
          > Catholic scholar speaks to an interconnecting idea
          > that dates back to the OT. I still haven't
          > contemplated that yet but it is pretty interesting.

          I'm having so much trouble keeping up lately; could you paste it again for
          me.

          Thanks Dottie

          Truth and Love

          Mike