Spiritualized Anarchism

  • Tarjei Straume
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2004
      The police chief in Oslo is a sweet and attractive lady with a fine
      personality. I couldn't think of a mean thing to say about her. She was on
      a TV talk show the other night, and they were discussing the concept of
      evil within the context of violent crimes.

      The police chief, whose name is Killengren (no pun intended there),
      acknowledged that what the police did would sometimes be experienced as
      brutal and evil, but she stressed the importance of catching everyone wo
      "does something wrong" and to make sure that everyone doing something wrong
      is punished for it. It made me think. How does the honest outlaw fit into
      this rigid picture? Before 1972, it was a violation of law in this country
      to live with someone you were not married to. It's easy to see how "crimes"
      of the past should not have been punished the way they were, but in our
      so-called permissive democracies we fail to see present-day laws for what
      they are.

      Another problem is that the reason we don't steal each other blind and kill
      each other at random or at the slightest perceived provocation, is not that
      we are afraid to get arrested and go to jail, which Killengren and her ilk
      seem to think. And those who do these things usually don't give a damn
      about the consequences - until afterwards. So there's no such thing as
      deterrants in law enforcement.

      Christ himself annihalated the concept of punishment:

      "Jesus went unto the mount of Olives. And early in the morning he came
      again into the temple, and all the people came unto him; and he sat down,
      and taught them. And the scribes and Pharisees brought unto him a woman
      taken in adultery; and when they had set her in the midst, They say unto
      him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act. Now Moses
      in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou?
      This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus
      stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard
      them not. So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said
      unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at
      her. And again he stooped down, and wrote on the ground. And they which
      heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one,
      beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and
      the woman standing in the midst. When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw
      none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine
      accusers? hath no man condemned thee? She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus
      said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more."
      - John 8:1-11

      Christ wrote on the ground, because the woman's sin was recorded in the
      earth's karmic record. Karma is the only legitimate executioner of justice.
      Man has no right to punish man; that is why even Christ Himself refuses to
      punish. Instead, He assumes the role of the accused - like also in the
      anarchosophical riddle of the Good Cop, the Bad Cop, and the Suspect:

      I made a little thought experiment after hearing Killengren's eagerness to
      punish everyone for their sins, i.e. for the breaking of any of many silly
      laws. Fortunately, we don't have the death penalty in Europe, but imagine
      that we did and that a convicted fellow's last wish was to smoke a joint
      before he died. That's illegal, of course, so someone would have to smuggle
      it to him. And then he got caught in the act, one hour before his
      execution. And Killengren has to punish him for that, doesn't she? How can
      you punish a guy for smoking a joint an hour before he fries? I began to
      imagine Killengren dressed up in leather and equipped with a whip, because
      this punishment thing seems to be a fetish of sorts with no practical value

      Just some thoughts,