"nichts weniger als"

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 28, 2004
      My daughter, 15 minutes later:
      Hi Daddy,
      dein Freund hat natürlich recht, dass es das auch heissen kann, was man
      vielleicht aus dem größeren Kontext erkennen könnte. Aber so, wie du es mir
      präsentiert hast, mit dem "aber..."-Satz danach, würde ich doch auf die
      doppelte Verneinung tippen. Hat schon mal jemand versucht, eine Séance zu
      machen und den Doktor selbst zu fragen?
      Besitos de tu hijita Bibi

      Your friend (!) is of course right in that it could also mean that, which
      one could perhaps recognize from the larger context. But from the way you
      presented it to me, with the "but..." sentence following, I would still bet
      on the double negation. Has anybody tried to make a séance and ask der
      Doktor himself?
      Little kisses from your little daughter Bibi

      And, 5 minutes after that:

      In einer eMail vom 27.02.2004 15:44:23 Westeuropäische Normalzeit schreibt
      franksmith@...:

      She isn't an anthroposphist though, and has no reason to have guessed who
      the author was

      Lieber Daddy, das ist natürlich Bullshit, ich habe den Stil
      selbstverständlich gleich erkannt. Wenn nicht Rudi, dann Thomas Mann, und
      vom Thema her wars doch eher Rudi.
      Die restlich Beschreibung deiner "Expertin" hat mir gut gefallen! Besitos de
      Bibilein

      Dear Daddy, that is of course bullshit. Obviously I recognized the style
      immediately. If not Rudi, then Thomas Mann, and according to the subject, it
      was rather Rudi. The rest of the description of your "expert" pleased me!
    • golden3000997@cs.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 28, 2004
        Hey Frank!

        What did you do to deserve such a cool, intelligent and funny daughter?

        : ) Christine

        Baby angel looks down at Frank and turns to her Guardian Angel and says, "Aw,
        I've just got to go down there and cheer that guy up!"

        : D
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 29, 2004
          > Hey Frank!
          >
          > What did you do to deserve such a cool, intelligent and funny daughter?
          >
          > : ) Christine
          >
          > Baby angel looks down at Frank and turns to her Guardian Angel and says,
          "Aw,
          > I've just got to go down there and cheer that guy up!"

          I've done nothing to deserve her - as far as I know. But I *am* cheered. Now
          all we have to do is cheer Peter up. Do you think it will work?
          Frank
        • Peter Staudenmaier
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 1, 2004
            Hi Frank,

            thanks for forwarding the correspondence with your daughter. Her reasoning about the "but" clause makes no sense to me. Steiner begins the previous sentence with a criticism of the Jews (namely, that they constitute a closed totality), not with a compliment. Thus according to your daughter's reading, the first sentence is internally contradictory, which hardly supports the notion that "but" signalled a transition from compliments to criticisms. By my reading, "but" signals a transition from particular to general, from specific criticisms of the Jews to denial of their very right to existence, as I explained last week. This is the only explanation offered so far that is consistent with the passage as a whole. I remain very interested in alternative explanations.

            Peter

            Mit schönen Grüßen von Yahoo! Mail.
            Für die Bilder Ihrer Lieben - Yahoo! Fotos - kostenlos!

            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 2, 2004
              Hi, Peter, you wrote:
              Hi Frank,

              thanks for forwarding the correspondence with your daughter. Her reasoning about the "but" clause makes no sense to me. Steiner begins the previous sentence with a criticism of the Jews (namely, that they constitute a closed totality), not with a compliment. Thus according to your daughter's reading, the first sentence is internally contradictory, which hardly supports the notion that "but" signalled a transition from compliments to criticisms. By my reading, "but" signals a transition from particular to general, from specific criticisms of the Jews to denial of their very right to existence, as I explained last week. This is the only explanation offered so far that is consistent with the passage as a whole. I remain very interested in alternative explanations.

              You're a hard nut to crack, even when common sense is the nutcracker. Let's analyze the paragraph again:
              „Es ist gewiss nicht zu leugnen, dass heute das Judentum noch
              immer als geschlossenes Ganzes auftritt und als solches in die
              Entwickelung unserer gegenwärtigen Zustände vielfach eingegriffen
              hat, und das in einer Weise, die den abendländischen Kulturideen
              nichts weniger als günstig war. Das Judentum als solches hat
              sich aber längst ausgelebt, hat keine Berechtigung innerhalb des
              modernen Völkerlebens, und dass es sich dennoch erhalten hat, ist
              ein Fehler der Weltgeschichte, dessen Folgen nicht ausbleiben
              konnten.“

              If we assume for a moment that the AT translation is correct, it reads:
              “It cannot be denied that Jewry still today presents itself as a self-contained entity and as such has often intervened in the development of our present conditions in a way that was *nothing less than* favorable to Western cultural ideas. But Jewry as such has outlived itself and has no justification within the modern life of nations. The fact that it nevertheless has been preserved is a mistake of world history which could not fail to have consequences.”

              If we assume that your version is correct, it would read:

              “It cannot be denied that Jewry still today presents itself as a self-contained entity and as such has often intervened in the development of our present conditions in a way that was *anything but* favorable to Western cultural ideas. But Jewry as such has outlived itself and has no justification within the modern life of nations. The fact that it nevertheless has been preserved is a mistake of world history which could not fail to have consequences.”

              The first sentence is not, as you maintain, self-contradictory. It is stating that this Jewish self-contained entity has often most favorable intervened in the development (or evolution) of our present conditions. BUT (however, notwithstanding this) Jewry, as such, has oultlived itself......

              Your interpretation would mean that this Jewish self-containing entity's intervention was anything but favorable...BUT (however, notwithstanding this) Jewry, as such, has oultlived itself... "but" here makes no sense at all. He would have to have said. "Moreover..."