The Origins of Eurythmy

  • pete_karaiskos
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 2, 2006
      The Origins of Eurythmy - A Bedtime Story,

      Once upon a time, Rudy decided to take a break from his busy lecture
      circuit schedule and attend a somewhat bawdy show in Berlin. What he
      saw there amazed him and stimulated him considerably, if you know what
      I mean. On the stage were scantily clad young ladies dancing what
      Rudy immediately imagined must be the dances of the Negro savages. It
      was, after all, the Roaring 20's and many like-like dances had invaded
      modern culture. As he watched the dancers gyrating to the powerful
      rhythms, Rudy was reflecting on the hardening of the spirit, how some
      races experienced a hardening earlier in their development, while
      others, the white race in particular, was only now getting rigid. The
      pulsating rhythms and the gyrating dancers reminded Rudy of how easy
      it was for the lower races to solidify – especially since they
      participated in dances like these regularly. As spiritually evolved
      as Rudy was, he could not deny that, indeed, he himself was hardening.
      He realized at that moment that the hardening he was experiencing was
      related to the dance he was witnessing. The more wildly the scantily
      clad savages were dancing, the more Rudy could feel his spirit-man
      hardening. He realized he would have to devote some time and effort
      into working with his spirit-man to hopefully overcome his blood.

      When Rudy returned home, his lovely wife Marie was there to greet him
      at the door with his favorite cocktail of orange juice and salt-peter,
      shaken, not stirred. Instead of taking the drink, he grabbed Marie
      around the waist and moved her into the middle of the floor. Marie
      had never seen this particular gleam in his eyes… OK, maybe once while
      he was reading Oswald Spengler's "The Decline of the West". Still,
      Marie didn't know what to do, and wished he had downed his cocktail as
      he usually did. Instead, Rudy left her in the middle of the room, and
      took a seat in his favorite overstuffed chair. Then, he leaned over
      and whispered words that were completely uncharacteristic for
      him…"Dance for me Baby."

      Now, Marie didn't know what to do. She was not accustomed to dancing
      for her man, so rather nervously, she started gliding along the floor.
      She was noticing a part of Rudy she had never seen. Yet, the prim
      and proper Marie couldn't bring herself to dance like a savage.
      Certainly Rudy wouldn't want her in *that* way. As she danced, she
      moved neither lower or upper torso. She was careful not to lift her
      feet or twirl around. She just glided along in the most unprovocative
      way she could think of – always facing forward since she didn't want
      to turn her back on her husband whose intentions she could only guess at.

      Rudy, realizing that this was not exactly the type of dance he was
      expecting began shouting "Work it Baby, work it." Poor Marie didn't
      know what else to do – so she started moving her arms wildly… straight
      out, over her head, straight down. Rudy heard her making sounds
      "Oooo, Eeeee, Ahhhh, Oh… OH… OHHHH… But Rudy still wasn't feeling the
      hardening of his spirit-man. In fact, as he watched Marie dance, all
      he could think about was "When will this be over". It was as if Marie
      had inadvertently discovered a replacement for his salt-peter
      cocktail. More precisely, she had discovered something to prevent the
      hardening of man. This is, of course, something Rudy wanted to
      preserve for the white race – and European man in particular, so he
      and Marie decided to name her new dance – EURYTHMY. And 81 years
      later, this dance is still being used to insure the flaccidity of man…
      and people everywhere who witness this dance are as unmoved by it as
      Rudy was, often overheard whispering to each other "When will this be
      over".

      In later years, Rudy never again found stimulation for his spirit-man
      (he started calling it "spear-it-man"), and regular performances of
      eurythmy made sure he wasn't without adequate means to suppress his
      urges, yet he often reminisced about the experience at the bawdy show.
      He longed for the burst of clairvoyance he had at that moment when he
      was able to fully appreciate the benefits of the hardening of man
      through his blood. He formulated in his mind a plan that he hoped
      would benefit all of Europe. On several occasions, he was overheard
      muttering the following statement: "I am convinced that if we get yet
      another set of Negro novels and give them to pregnant women to read,
      then Negroes do not have to come to Europe to conceive mulattos; just
      by reading Negro novels, half-blood children will be born in Europe."
      Many people interpret this as Rudy hoping that this plan might put
      him in contact with mulattos in Europe and that this might rekindle in
      him the hardening he could never again achieve otherwise.

      After Rudy's death, Marie continued to spread her Eurythmy all around
      Europe, with the exception of France (it seems France had imported
      better sources of entertainment) and was successful in single-handedly
      ensuring that Europe is the most sexually repressed continent on the
      planet.
    • kmlightseeker
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 2, 2006
        Greetings to Pete from Steiner of Fiction,

        My comments interspersed below:

        --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, "pete_karaiskos"
        <petekaraiskos@...> wrote:

        > The Origins of Eurythmy - A Bedtime Story,
        >
        > Once upon a time, Rudy decided to take a break from his busy lecture
        > circuit schedule and attend a somewhat bawdy show in Berlin. What he
        > saw there amazed him and stimulated him considerably, if you know what
        > I mean. On the stage were scantily clad young ladies dancing what
        > Rudy immediately imagined must be the dances of the Negro savages. It
        > was, after all, the Roaring 20's and many like-like dances had invaded
        > modern culture. As he watched the dancers gyrating to the powerful
        > rhythms, Rudy was reflecting on the hardening of the spirit, how some
        > races experienced a hardening earlier in their development, while
        > others, the white race in particular, was only now getting rigid. The
        > pulsating rhythms and the gyrating dancers reminded Rudy of how easy
        > it was for the lower races to solidify – especially since they
        > participated in dances like these regularly. As spiritually evolved
        > as Rudy was, he could not deny that, indeed, he himself was hardening.
        > He realized at that moment that the hardening he was experiencing was
        > related to the dance he was witnessing. The more wildly the scantily
        > clad savages were dancing, the more Rudy could feel his spirit-man
        > hardening. He realized he would have to devote some time and effort
        > into working with his spirit-man to hopefully overcome his blood.

        Steiner of Fiction (Note: Babelfish German):

        Überraschen! Normalerweise würde ich nicht an solche Sachen denken,
        aber er ist erstaunlich, was Sie antreffen können.

        (Amazing! Normally I would not think about such things, but it is
        amazing what you can encounter.)

        > When Rudy returned home, his lovely wife Marie was there to greet him
        > at the door with his favorite cocktail of orange juice and salt-peter,
        > shaken, not stirred. Instead of taking the drink, he grabbed Marie
        > around the waist and moved her into the middle of the floor. Marie
        > had never seen this particular gleam in his eyes… OK, maybe once while
        > he was reading Oswald Spengler's "The Decline of the West". Still,
        > Marie didn't know what to do, and wished he had downed his cocktail as
        > he usually did. Instead, Rudy left her in the middle of the room, and
        > took a seat in his favorite overstuffed chair. Then, he leaned over
        > and whispered words that were completely uncharacteristic for
        > him…"Dance for me Baby."

        Steiner of Fiction (Note: Babelfish German):

        Was?! Ich sagte nicht den. Welche Reports haben Sie, lieber Peter gelesen?

        (What?! I did not say that. What reports have you been reading, dear
        Pete?)

        > Now, Marie didn't know what to do. She was not accustomed to dancing
        > for her man, so rather nervously, she started gliding along the floor.
        > She was noticing a part of Rudy she had never seen. Yet, the prim
        > and proper Marie couldn't bring herself to dance like a savage.
        > Certainly Rudy wouldn't want her in *that* way. As she danced, she
        > moved neither lower or upper torso. She was careful not to lift her
        > feet or twirl around. She just glided along in the most unprovocative
        > way she could think of – always facing forward since she didn't want
        > to turn her back on her husband whose intentions she could only
        guess at.

        Steiner of Fiction (Note: Babelfish German):

        Ohhhhh, Peter! Sie cheeky Sache! Was bin ich, zum mit Ihnen zu tun?

        (Ohhhhh, Pete! You cheeky thing! What am I to do with you?)

        > Rudy, realizing that this was not exactly the type of dance he was
        > expecting began shouting "Work it Baby, work it." Poor Marie didn't
        > know what else to do – so she started moving her arms wildly… straight
        > out, over her head, straight down. Rudy heard her making sounds
        > "Oooo, Eeeee, Ahhhh, Oh… OH… OHHHH… But Rudy still wasn't feeling the
        > hardening of his spirit-man. In fact, as he watched Marie dance, all
        > he could think about was "When will this be over". It was as if Marie
        > had inadvertently discovered a replacement for his salt-peter
        > cocktail. More precisely, she had discovered something to prevent the
        > hardening of man. This is, of course, something Rudy wanted to
        > preserve for the white race – and European man in particular, so he
        > and Marie decided to name her new dance – EURYTHMY. And 81 years
        > later, this dance is still being used to insure the flaccidity of man…
        > and people everywhere who witness this dance are as unmoved by it as
        > Rudy was, often overheard whispering to each other "When will this be
        > over".

        Steiner of Fiction (Note: Babelfish German):

        Und eine gute Sache, auch!

        Schätzen Sie durch irgendeine Wahrscheinlichkeit kunst, Peter? Sie
        wissen, was über diese Sache "des erläuternden Tanzes", die Sie in
        Ihrer Zeit haben? Kunst reichert, Peter, es anreichert! an!

        (And a good thing, too!

        Do you by any chance appreciate art, Pete? You know, what about this
        "interpretative dance" thing you have in your time? Art enriches,
        Pete, it enriches!!)

        > In later years, Rudy never again found stimulation for his spirit-man
        > (he started calling it "spear-it-man"), and regular performances of
        > eurythmy made sure he wasn't without adequate means to suppress his
        > urges, yet he often reminisced about the experience at the bawdy show.
        > He longed for the burst of clairvoyance he had at that moment when he
        > was able to fully appreciate the benefits of the hardening of man
        > through his blood. He formulated in his mind a plan that he hoped
        > would benefit all of Europe. On several occasions, he was overheard
        > muttering the following statement: "I am convinced that if we get yet
        > another set of Negro novels and give them to pregnant women to read,
        > then Negroes do not have to come to Europe to conceive mulattos; just
        > by reading Negro novels, half-blood children will be born in Europe."
        > Many people interpret this as Rudy hoping that this plan might put
        > him in contact with mulattos in Europe and that this might rekindle in
        > him the hardening he could never again achieve otherwise.

        Steiner of Fiction (Note: Babelfish German):

        Jetzt verstehen Sie, daß die Gründe für Waldorf Rat über "Steiner"
        oder stark schwierig ist.

        (Now you understand the reasons for Waldorf advice about "Steiner is
        difficult" or hard.)

        > After Rudy's death, Marie continued to spread her Eurythmy all around
        > Europe, with the exception of France (it seems France had imported
        > better sources of entertainment) and was successful in single-handedly
        > ensuring that Europe is the most sexually repressed continent on the
        > planet.

        Steiner of Fiction (Note: Babelfish German):

        Ich nehme an, daß Sie nicht den Film "Boeing (707) Boeing (707)" dann
        gesehen haben? Unterdrückt?! Hah!!

        (I suppose you haven't seen the movie "Boeing (707) Boeing (707)"
        then? Repressed?! Hah!!)
      • jmnguyen
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 2, 2006
          Dear List,

          Damn! Am I gullible!...
          Since Frank likes joking --- I thought he was kidding! --- when he wrote:
          "Well, lookeee what just floated in on the tide: the flotsam and jetsam of the WC - both ladies and gents toilets must have overflowed."

          *Intellectual dummies* are so commonplace that I wasn't paying much attention to recent posts spread with elaborate bullshit...
          But suddenly, there's an awful stink in here!

          Jean-Marc

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 2, 2006
            --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, "jmnguyen"
            <jmnguyen@...> wrote:

            > But suddenly, there's an awful stink in here!

            It's the SMUG...

            Pete

            Service.

          • jmnguyen
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 2, 2006
              Pete wrote:

              It's the SMUG...

              Pete
              You mean "smugness"?
              Wow --- I wasn't expecting you to make a full confession so quickly!
              Congratulations!

              Jean-Marc

              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 2, 2006
                <jmnguyen@...> wrote:

                > Pete wrote:
                >
                > It's the SMUG...
                >
                > Pete

                > You mean "smugness"?
                > Wow --- I wasn't expecting you to make a full confession so quickly!
                > Congratulations!

                I wasn't expecting you to actually get what I was referring to. And I
                wasn't disappointed.

                Pete

              • jmnguyen
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 2, 2006
                  I wasn't expecting you to actually get what you were referring to... Congratulations anyway!

                  Jean-Marc
                  > Wow --- I wasn't expecting you to make a full confession so quickly!
                  > Congratulations!

                  I wasn't expecting you to actually get what I was referring to.  And I
                  wasn't disappointed.

                  Pete

                • pete_karaiskos
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 3, 2006
                    There you go again. Hop away now...

                    Pete

                    <jmnguyen@...> wrote:

                    > I wasn't expecting you to actually get what you were referring to...
                    Congratulations anyway!

                    > Jean-Marc

                    Service.