Re: Celebrating RS Death Day (Enneagram)

  • ishtarmustdie
    Message 1 of 19 , Apr 2, 2006
      "The great achievement of the 4th Way system, given from the outset
      by Ouspensky, who said the system was important because it wasn't
      his, consists of the integrality of the Law of Three with the Law of
      Seven. It is imperative to give note to this important interaction;
      that we must take account of the working of the Law of Three, which
      has been born out of the Law of Seven. In actuality, Aristotle
      discovered the working presence of the Law of Three over 2300 years
      ago. He discovered that nature bears three reflective spheres of
      activity; the mineral, plant, and animal kingdoms. As such, they
      reflect and coincide exactly with the Higher Worlds, known as Upper
      Devachan, Lower Devachan, and the Astral Plane. Based on this
      discovery, Aristotle, after spending 20 years in Plato's Academy,
      and then instructing the young Alexander the Great for eight years,
      started a school designed to address the facts and significance of
      the Law of Three seen existing in nature. The first step taken in
      this school, The Peripatetic, was to gain a disciplined hold on the
      fundamentals of deductive reasoning, the first form of reasoning to
      be developed by the great initiates of Greek philosophy. Thus, the
      first expression of the Law of Three took the form of what is known
      as the 'Logical Syllogism', comprised of: Major Premise, Minor
      Premise, Conclusion. After this disciplined thinking was
      sufficiently developed the student graduated into the inner circle;
      the secondary school where the Laws and Beings of Nature were
      taught. And their correspondence to the Higher Worlds.
      Ouspensky gives extraordinary emphasis to the importance of the
      Law of Three throughout the 4th Way discourse. And when he begins to
      refer to the formation and importance of the Lateral Octave of La-
      Sol-Fa, and its relationship to the sensitive film that surrounds
      the earth, i.e., organic life on earth, then we have a very great
      advancement from the work of Aristotle. Why? Because Aristotle could
      never have discovered this himself. The Fourth Way describes this
      most significant fact; the fact of the path of the descending
      octave, and the La-Sol-Fa extraction."
      ---From "Quaternium Organum" by Stephen Hale

      I have a diagram somewhere that reflects the idea of a divine
      symbolic trinity wherein the circle, the triangle, and the square
      are perfectly intact. And this constitutes the original plan of
      earth evolution; the one described in Steiner's "Outline of Occult
      Science" involving the careful weaving and looming activities of the
      Hierarchies in the three spheres of Cosmic Embryology [Saturn-Sun-
      Moon]. But this was all changed, and the original physical,
      etheric, and astral body prototypes were made coarser and denser
      than originally intended in order for the Ego, the fourth member of
      man's being, to be developed on earth from the beginning, and not
      the end, as the basis of human freedom.

      So, the secret to the Enneagram is that it is a reflection of
      repeated earth lives in the form of the deconstruction of the square
      in the middle, surrounded by an intact triangle (Soul), and further
      surrounded by an intact circle (Spirit). Thus, the Enneagram bears
      the knowledge of the revised plan of earth evolution involving
      repeated earth lives due to the densifying and complexifying nature
      of the human being that must now evolve in a physical world whose
      source comes from the Moon. The mineral kingdom passed over from
      the Moon to the Earth 50,000 years ago, and this is when the concept
      of repeated earth lives also commenced.

      The Moon, in turn, now bears the original diaphenous etheric
      constitution that still echoes in the Garden of Eden story. But on
      the Moon, this fine etheric substance becomes of the nature of its
      total opposite, and so the moon is now a super-hardened
      counterweight to the earth, while the earth bears the wisdom of the
      three nature kingdoms, with the mineral kingdom coming forth through
      Jehova's work on the Moon. Man can only be free by evolving in a
      mineralized world where his destiny cannot be found and cannot be
      influential. And only through thinking does mankind knock at the
      door of his true destiny; the destiny of complete and individualized
      freedom in eternity.

      Steve

      --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, "tmasthenes13"
      <TomBuoyed@...> wrote:

      > Steve Hale wrote:
      > >
      > > It is very interesting that you complete your thought with this
      > > reference to the enneagram. I wonder how many people have
      > considered
      > > that the dodecahedron and the enneagram represent the two great
      > mystic
      > > symbols of the 20th century. The former refers to the model of
      man
      > as
      > > universal human, and latter to the concept of self-remembering.
    • winters_diana
      Message 2 of 19 , Apr 3, 2006
        --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, "ishtarmustdie"
        <sardisian01@...> wrote:

        >The only sexism I know of is Steiner's continual reference to the work
        >of men in the endeavors of his very positive spiritual philosophy. I
        >believe it has to do with the necessary continuance of the male
        >principle in the transition from the intellectual to the consciousness
        >soul age.

        LOL!! Priceless.
        It would be hard for us to discuss sexism, I guess, since you
        apparently don't know what it is!
        Diana
      • Mike helsher
        Message 3 of 19 , Apr 3, 2006
          <TomBuoyed@...> wrote:

          > Mike Helser wrote:
          >
          > > If RS was right, and sex and Love are indeed mutually exclusive,
          > then
          > > maybe that's why he left us a corps to feed on. My X Buddhist
          > buddies
          > > were always be meditating of death and rotting corpses to quell
          > their
          > > sexual desires. Perhaps if we weren't all buzzing and crawling
          > around
          > > this corps, we'd all be out sport-fucking like crazey..:-O
          > >
          > > fascinating!
          > ------------------------------
          >
          > Yo Mike!
          >
          > Thanks for appreciating my metaphors. I always loved the upgrade
          that
          > Marshall McLuhan gave to the statement made 2 centuries ago by the
          > great Limey poet Robert Browning:
          >
          > "Man's reach must exceed his grasp, or else, what's a heaven for?"
          >
          > Mercurial oracle Marshy Mac Luhan changed that to:
          >
          > "Man's reach must exceed his grasp, or else what's a metaphor?"
          >
          > Nyuk! Nyuk! Nyuk!
          >
          > Anyway, I must first give you a short lesson in speaking the
          dialect
          > of Classical Anthroposophese. You expressed yourself in the rather
          > coarse vernacular, using the term "sport-fucking."
          >
          > The f-word in Classical Anthroposophese is not 4 letters, but 8, to
          > wit: "fructify." So, in future anthro-social gatherings, be they 3-
          > fold or not, or whether here online or in an actual study group,
          you
          > might try impressing your comrades by saying: "sport-
          fructification"
          > or "sport-fructifying" or even the most formal expression of
          > all: "undergoing a process, as it were, of sport-fructification."

          Hey Tom, thanks for yur indepth reply, i've been meaning to get back
          to this but I've had to do the mister Mom thing this weekend, as my
          wonderful wifey is away visiting. so in a way i'm strapping on my
          own "big hooters". Still don't have much time, but I didn't wanna let
          it drift away.

          Ok, so it should also be the "Enkidu fructificationathon"...:)

          (interesting about the Gilgamesh story to me, is the rather involuted
          idea of sexuality, as represented by the high priestess (Enkidu"s
          lover)as compared to the standards of today)

          > I am fascinated, in a very Spock-like way (and I could be subtly
          > referring here to Benjy's sister Marjorie), with your correlation
          > between meditating on corpses and quelling those rather insistent
          > desires of a fructifactory nature. I assume you may be referring to
          > the Hindu vow of "brahmacharya," which is not just sexual celibacy,
          > but refraining from eating meat and other coarse sensual stuff. But
          > all that seems to be such a "guy thing" and also pretty atavistic.

          Well we we're vegetarians also. there were also seperate community
          houses for men and women. I think now that it was all about some kind
          of redemption, Metabavna (as is the main theme of buddhism). twas a
          good stepping stone for me to help rethink my catholic/bevis and
          butthead upbringing.

          Gheesh, the "guy thing" reminds me of a phase I went through with the
          Robert Bly "Iron John" story...Which brings me to think of a song I
          heard once on the doctor demento show about sailors at sea (sung in a
          round similar to row row row yur boat) "men men men men...men men men
          men...so throw your rubbers overboard there's nobody here but ....men
          men men men...."

          > But the truth is, I could actually more easily imagine my own
          > parents "undergoing, as it were, a process of mutual fructifcation"
          > than I ever could imagine Rudolf Steiner playing "hide the pickle"
          > with any woman, be it Marie the Dour, or even Lovely Ita, Ita babe,
          > (sing it: ". . . where would I be without you? Give us a wink and
          > make me think of you. . . . Lovely Ita, Ita-babe!).
          >
          > (I was once exiled from a study group in Tennessee when an old S98
          > post of mine surfaced where I had speculated on the idea that the
          > real love of Rudy's life was not Marie, but Ita! Sigh! Ah, so much
          > for neo-Platonic romanticism. )
          >
          > So here we have this unsettling, disquieting possibility that the
          > entire corpus (not corpse now) of anthroposophy, the entire
          > Gesamtausgabe, could have been founded on the repression of Rudolf
          > Steiner's fructificatorial urges. But wait, there is a new sexual
          > revolution going on and Rudolf Steiner may someday be canonized as
          > the patron saint of this very "brahmacharyan" movement called
          > ASEXUALITY. Check out this website for info
          > http://www.asexuality.org/info.htm
          >
          > After all, since the asexuals have a T-shirt now, then they have to
          > be an official and bona fide social movement, right? Now check out
          > their Yahoo group, which you can read without subscribing as you
          can
          > with A_T
          > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/havenforthehumanamoeba/messages
          >
          > As of today they have 589 members, as compared to 232 on A_T.
          >
          > Oh and their slogan on the T-shirt reads:
          >
          > ASEXUALITY: NOT JUST FOR AMOEBAS ANYMORE!
          >
          > But now back to repression. Years ago, in the heyday of Steiner98,
          > the erudite techno-scholar William Irwin Thompson happened to fall
          > down the rabbit hole of S98. I had accused him then of calling
          > Steiner queer. While dusting himself off, Billy, aka, WIT, related
          > to us that it was not he, but rather the New Age historian Rick
          > Tarnas, who had actually made the remark that he thought Rudolf
          > Steiner was a "repressed homosexual."
          >
          > Now, when the angels let me, I will pontificate on the spiritual-
          > scientific principles of homosexuality. But they involve the rather
          > complicated cross-pollination, as it were, (even cross-dressing? )
          > No, better say, cross-weaving, as it were, of the male and female
          > etheric-physical sheathes analogous to the way vision works through
          > the optic chiasma. Interestingly enough, the phenomenon, as far as
          > can surmise --- with a straight face and a flaccid "lower larynx,"
          as
          > it were --- is neither genetic nor karmic in origin. However, if
          you
          > would like to observe Goetheanistically, the phenomena of gayness
          and
          > lesbianhood, do go out and see the movie Transamerica, where
          Felicity
          > Huffman won the best Actress Oscar for portraying a pre-operative
          > transsexual man becoming a woman.
          >
          > (For if you can catch such a person, before he, makes the,
          > er, "final cut," as it were, then much may be clarified in the
          > seer's (or is it sneer's?") inner spiritual perception of the
          inter-
          > twining astral-etheric-physical mysteries of the male and female. I
          > blush as I report this, but I must say, in all candor, that my
          > Goetheanistic observations --- seeing in thinking and thinking in
          > seeing --- of pre-op trannies, (known more colorfully as "chicks
          with
          > dicks") were simultaneously the most titillating and penetrating
          > clairsentient experiences of the entire course of my post-pubescent
          > life!)
          >
          > Anyway, this whole Transamerica phenomenon, so mainstream out here
          in
          > the City of Angels, has inspired me to ask the most profound
          > questions of spiritual science I have come up with to date:
          >
          > Does size matter in counterspace?

          Good question...:) I might matter more(if it matters at all) when
          some science geek invents machine to measure thought....:-O

          All of the above is quite interesting. long time ago I sponsored a
          kid that was gay and he told me that his dad had sex with his
          brother, and then his brother slept in the same room as him and they
          developed a sexual relationship. I thought I was supposed to help him
          with his drug addiction till he asked me..."do you think I'm gay?" I
          gave him the best answer that I could at the time..."i don't know."

          As to RS..."did he, or did he not, that is the question".

          The whole world came slamming down on me one day, when i realized the
          immense and intrinsic responsibility that RS was pointing to with the
          idea of intuiting moral imagination...I hit my knees and tears hit
          the side walk and I found my self very much in tune with a scene in
          the Wayne's world movie where Wayne and Garth are bowing to Alice
          copper whining "were not worthy."

          I've just opened up a pinhole to the view of mount Olympus, and in
          that light the idea of sex seems kinda stupid. So I would guess that
          if RS was indeed viewing in 3d surround sound, that he may indeed
          have been celibate.

          But what about this Idea of Eros??

          gotta go back to work

          Mike
        • Mike helsher
          Message 4 of 19 , Apr 3, 2006

            > Now this latter metaphor is for Joel's benefit. Joel, I must tell
            > you, you do have a nice pair of etheric hooters; you even have a
            > nicely shaped etheric ass, and you have done so much admirable work
            > in PoF and epistemology that the average John, or, Johannes, would
            > select you over so many others in the "stable." I mean, you really
            > know how to swing around that pole and get those dollar bills
            stuffed
            > into your Native American motif G-strings, etc....

            i like joels hooters too. he and I have walked a similar path and
            though in the physical I my need to catch up with honing some skills,
            (writing and typing and spelling and a boat load of reading)I do
            believe that I catch his drift on occasion. we often sail on the same
            breeze. but sometimes Joel loads his cannons and turns into the wind
            and lobs out a few broadsides on the ships he sees sailing in a
            diffrent direction. I've always loves the old pirate ship movies
            and "master and commander" was a huge thrill. But I usually just
            watch these big gunned jousts form my own little "seemingly seaworthy
            ship of doubt...." But I was at one time inspired in part by joel to
            write the following little ditty:

            The Sea of Love

            My seemingly seaworthy ship of doubt
            Is but a speck of angst, churning in a sea of Love
            That can only be navigated by the innocence
            That is liken onto a child

            My compass broken, I sail by the stars of the night
            For I was told that the sun is but a burning ball of gas

            I learn to live within the angst
            Encased in a dream that seems so real
            And all that I grasp in this dream turns to stone
            I save them in the belly of my ship of doubt
            Until one day it finally sinks

            And there I am...alone
            My speck of angst turns into a black hole into which I fall
            And all that I thought that I was
            Weighs upon me
            Like the falling of the night sky onto the earth

            I struggle and try to think like a snake
            I slither in the manmade crevasse
            Of the world of the machine.
            Squeezed like a sardine
            And prodded by the pecking of hens
            Until all that remains
            Is the Horror

            It was then that a Whole Universe
            Contained In a tiny drop
            Of all that was left of the Sea of Love
            Came forth...

            From the corner of my eye

            Thanks Joel

            Mike
          • ishtarmustdie
            Message 5 of 19 , Apr 4, 2006
              --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, "winters_diana"
              <diana.winters@...> wrote:

              > --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, "ishtarmustdie"
              > <sardisian01@> wrote:
              >
              > >The only sexism I know of is Steiner's continual reference to the
              work
              > >of men in the endeavors of his very positive spiritual
              philosophy. I
              > >believe it has to do with the necessary continuance of the male
              > >principle in the transition from the intellectual to the
              consciousness
              > >soul age.
              >

              > LOL!! Priceless.
              > It would be hard for us to discuss sexism, I guess, since you
              > apparently don't know what it is!
              > Diana

              The point simple that I wanted to make is that the male principle
              runs throught the fourth cultural epoch and on into the fifth, while
              the female principle runs throughout the third cultural epoch and on
              into the fourth, where we see all the goddess worshipping as
              evidence of the great acheivement of sentiency. The intellect of
              man rests on the foundation of this sentiency, just as man's
              consciousness rests on the foundation of his/her intellect.

              Now, herein the "greater" consciousness soul age which commenced at
              the turn of the 20th century, we have a measure of cosmic
              intelligence made available for the uptake. And philosophy, which
              by some accounts died in 1950, is actually redeemed through
              anthroposophical spiritual science. And by redeemed I mean that
              higher forms of reasoning are contained within this body of
              knowledge as working principles. And it most probably takes the
              further effort of the male principle in recognizing and championing
              this important fact for the future of spiritual science as a
              furtherance of the fourth cultural epoch, as well as a higher
              resolution of the third cultural epoch in its own right.

              Steve

            • ishtarmustdie
              Message 6 of 19 , Apr 5, 2006
                Tom, I have been meaning to get back to you about these comments
                below:

                "As for Gurdjieff, I wonder if you could shed some light on
                some "anthropoop" I overheard in AP circles, about G in relation to
                Steiner." I heard that one time Gurdjieff paid a visit to the
                Goetheanum, but when Steiner heard about it, he became livid, and
                actually had to be physically restrained from attacking G. The
                reason apparently was that RS did not want all the evil, nasty,
                egregore-type entities in G's "astral body entourage" to contaminate
                the pristine etheric spiritual atmosphere of the Goetheanum."

                Yes, I heard this too, and I do believe that David Eyes spoke about
                it in his short essay, "Gurdjieff and Steiner". I had an
                interesting discussion with David Eyes a few years ago about Steiner
                and Gurdjieff. In the Gospel of Matthew lectures, given in
                September of 1910, Steiner gives a certain attention to a form of
                clairvoyance beheld by the gypsies; he called it the clairvoyance of
                the turanians. Gurdjieff was such a one as these. Thus, he had a
                kind of crystal-ball form of clairvoyance, which was actually the
                ability to see the human aura. And this made him particularly able
                to see the human moral condition. He had the knack of seeing the
                flaws and weaknesses of those he was in touch with, and this made
                him very capable of creating programs for human development along
                the lines of what people needed in order to counter the defects that
                he saw in their characters. It became known as "chief feature",
                which requires one to go against the grain of their strong suit, and
                purposely cultivate their opposite, or what is most weak in one's
                nature. And he was a genius for doing such a thing.

                The reason is that this method constitutes a recapitulation of the
                old forms of initiation science wherein the corollary was enforced
                in order to keep arrogance and pride in check. Emphasizing chief
                feature had this in mind; and it worked to an extraordinarily
                effective degree. Whether Gurdjieff ever actually knocked at the
                door of the Goetheanum is unknown to me. But, considering that very
                fine etheric forms and beings, including Theodor Feiss were
                contained therein, and that Gurdjieff had this form of what could be
                called "cheap clairvoyance", it is quite possible that his
                admittance would be considered an offense to the environment; being
                of the astral body kind, he would only have beheld something that
                would have given him the pause of a new vantage point. And that
                point concerns the astral-etheric connection needed for modern
                initiaiton science to be fully successful. This fact is knowable.

                Steve
              • holderlin66
                Message 7 of 19 , Apr 5, 2006
                  Steve wrote:

                  " But, considering that very
                  fine etheric forms and beings, including Theodor Feiss were
                  contained therein, and that Gurdjieff had this form of what could be
                  called "cheap clairvoyance", it is quite possible that his
                  admittance would be considered an offense to the environment; being
                  of the astral body kind, he would only have beheld something that
                  would have given him the pause of a new vantage point. "

                  Bradford comments;

                  What a refreshing breath of fresh air. Christ walking on water,
                  etheric or otherwise, what lame ass research about the frozen seas,
                  it was brought up on this list or another long ago and frozen water
                  was postulated by some dim wit, I forget who. Now comes this, Steve
                  called it dead on, just cheap crappy science to fill in the deadness
                  of those who don't understand why they are numb. I keep experiencing
                  the shock of the numbness for those who actually feel a hollow that
                  something else should be there, something vast and penetrating,
                  Grail Science, pulsing in culture and full of life. And I can
                  experience the numbness the painful, 'whatever' numbness that it
                  isn't there and it can't be found and they don't have a clue how to
                  navigate their thoughts towards it. Grants and money to say any kind
                  of human nonsense because Spiritual Science aka Miracle isn't really
                  possible. Humans are so deeply in the hole that looking down is like
                  looking up.

                  Steve your description of Gurdjieff's drives, force, will and
                  general condensed mithraric selfishness, condensed will and his
                  dominating personality, is like having a sociopath with a heightened
                  Ahrimanic shadow, so dense that it reverberates as an undertow in
                  everyone around him...This sort of astrality, but with some etheric
                  super driving patterning, his ability to dominate and force the soul
                  into a kind of pre-Christ initiation pattern, was rich to
                  contemplate.

                  I have looked forward to what you were going to bring on Kaspar
                  Hauser...all I can savor is where your current soberness and clarity
                  arises from. You do have your dips, but these several ringing posts
                  were like fresh air, thanks.
                • isenhart7
                  Message 8 of 19 , Apr 6, 2006
                    --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com,
                    "ishtarmustdie" <sardisian01@...> wrote:

                    The Fourth Way describes this
                    > most significant fact; the fact of the path of the descending
                    > octave, and the La-Sol-Fa extraction."
                    > ---From "Quaternium Organum" by Stephen Hale

                    Dear Stephen,

                    Can you say a little more about the descending octave. What's it
                    comprised of, how it's formed? Are you saying descending in
                    that one corresponds to spirit, another soul, and another the
                    physical? Since these are tones is there a corresponding
                    gesture as well?-Val
                  • isenhart7
                    Message 9 of 19 , Apr 6, 2006
                      "holderlin66" <holderlin66@...> wrote:

                      > What a refreshing breath of fresh air. Christ walking on water,
                      > etheric or otherwise, what lame ass research about the frozen
                      seas,
                      > it was brought up on this list or another long ago and frozen
                      water
                      > was postulated by some dim wit, I forget who. Now comes this,
                      Steve
                      > called it dead on, just cheap crappy science to fill in the
                      deadness
                      > of those who don't understand why they are numb. I keep
                      experiencing
                      > the shock of the numbness for those who actually feel a hollow
                      that
                      > something else should be there, something vast and
                      penetrating,
                      > Grail Science, pulsing in culture and full of life. And I can
                      > experience the numbness the painful, 'whatever' numbness
                      that it
                      > isn't there and it can't be found and they don't have a clue how
                      > navigate their thoughts towards it. Grants and money to say
                      any kind
                      > of human nonsense because Spiritual Science aka Miracle
                      isn't really
                      > possible. Humans are so deeply in the hole that looking down
                      is like
                      > looking up.

                      Look's like they caught a big fish-or to quote the professor-a Holy
                      Cow!-Val

                      http:www.nytimes.com/2006/04/05/science/05cnd-fossil.html?ex
                      =1301889600&en=43e5c9ecb1dd0cd6&ei=5090&partner=rssu
                      serland&emc=rss

                      By JOHN NOBLE WILFORD
                      Published: April 5, 2006

                      Scientists have discovered fossils of a 375 million-year-old fish,
                      a large scaly creature not seen before, that they say is a
                      long-sought "missing link" in the evolution of some fishes from
                      water to a life walking on four limbs on land.

                      University of Chicago
                      A model of the 375 million-year-old fish, which exhibits changes
                      that anticipate the emergence of land animals.

                      In addition to confirming elements of a major transition in
                      evolution, the fossils are widely seen by scientists as a powerful
                      rebuttal to religious creationists, who hold a literal biblical view
                      on the origins and development of life.

                      Several well-preserved skeletons of the fossil fish were
                      uncovered in sediments of former stream beds in the Canadian
                      Arctic, 600 miles from the North Pole, it is being reported on
                      Thursday in the journal Nature. The skeletons have the fins and
                      scales and other attributes of a giant fish, four to nine feet long.

                      But on closer examination, scientists found telling anatomical
                      traits of a transitional creature, a fish that is still a fish but
                      exhibiting changes that anticipate the emergence of land
                      animals — a predecessor thus of amphibians, reptiles and
                      dinosaurs, mammals and eventually humans.

                      The scientists described evidence in the forward fins of limbs in
                      the making. There are the beginnings of digits, proto-wrists,
                      elbows and shoulders. The fish also had a flat skull resembling
                      a crocodile's, a neck, ribs and other parts that were similar to
                      four-legged land animals known as tetrapods.

                      The discovering scientists called the fossils the most
                      compelling examples yet of an animal that was at the cusp of the
                      fish-tetrapod transition. The fish has been named Tiktaalik
                      roseae, at the suggestion of elders of Canada's Nunavut
                      Territory. Tiktaalik (pronounced tic-TAH-lick) means "large
                      shallow water fish."

                      In two reports in Thursday's issue of the journal Nature, the
                      science team led by Neil H. Shubin of the University of Chicago
                      wrote, "The origin of limbs probably involved the elaboration and
                      proliferation of features already present in the fins of fish such as
                      Tiktaalik."

                      Dr. Shubin, an evolutionary biologist, let himself go in an
                      interview. "It's a really amazing remarkable intermediate fossil —
                      it's like, holy cow," he enthused.

                      Two other paleontologists, commenting on the find in a separate
                      article in the journal, said that a few other transitional fish had
                      been previously discovered from approximately the same Late
                      Devonian time period, 385 million to 359 million years ago. But
                      Tiktaalik is so clearly an intermediate "link between fishes and
                      land vertebrates," they said, that it "might in time become as
                      much an evolutionary icon as the proto-bird Archaeopteryx,"
                      which bridged the gap between reptiles, probably dinosaurs,
                      and today's birds.

                      The writers, Erik Ahlberg of Uppsala University in Sweden and
                      Jennifer A. Clack of the University of Cambridge in England, are
                      often viewed as rivals to Dr. Shubin's team in the search for
                      intermediate species in the evolution from fish to the first
                      animals to colonize land.

                      In a statement by the Science Museum of London, where casts
                      of the fossils will be on view, Dr. Clack said the fish "confirms
                      everything we thought and also tells us about the order in which
                      certain changes were made."

                      H. Richard Lane, director of paleobiology at the National Science
                      Foundation, said in a statement, "These exciting discoveries are
                      providing fossil 'Rosetta Stones' for a deeper understanding of
                      this evolutionary milestone — fish to land-roaming tetrapods."

                      The science foundation and the National Geographic Society
                      were among the financial supporters of the research. Besides
                      Dr. Shubin, the principal discoverers were Edward B. Daeschler
                      of the Academy of Natural Sciences in Philadelphia and Farish A.
                      Jenkins Jr., a Harvard evolutionary biologist.

                      Michael J. Novacek, a paleontologist at the American Museum of
                      Natural History in Manhattan, who was not involved in the
                      research, said: "Based on what we already know, we have a very
                      strong reason to think tetrapods evolved from lineages of fishes.
                      This may be a critical phase in that transition that we haven't had
                      before. A good fossil cuts through a lot of scientific argument."

                      While Dr. Shubin's team played down the fossil's significance in
                      the raging debate over Darwinian theory, which is opposed
                      mainly by some conservative Christians in the United States,
                      other scientists were not so reticent. They said this should
                      undercut the creationists' argument that there is no evidence in
                      the fossil record of one kind of creature becoming another kind.

                      One creationist Web site (emporium.turnpike.net/C/cs/evid1.htm)
                      declares that "there are no transitional forms," adding: "For
                      example, not a single fossil with part fins part feet has been
                      found. And this is true between every major plant and animal
                      kind."
                    • ishtarmustdie
                      Message 10 of 19 , Apr 6, 2006
                        --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, "isenhart7"
                        <isenhart7@...> wrote:

                        > --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com,
                        > "ishtarmustdie" <sardisian01@> wrote:
                        > >

                        > The Fourth Way describes this
                        > > most significant fact; the fact of the path of the descending
                        > > octave, and the La-Sol-Fa extraction."
                        > > ---From "Quaternium Organum" by Stephen Hale
                        >
                        > Dear Stephen,
                        >
                        > Can you say a little more about the descending octave. What's it
                        > comprised of, how it's formed? Are you saying descending in
                        > that one corresponds to spirit, another soul, and another the
                        > physical? Since these are tones is there a corresponding
                        > gesture as well?-Val

                        "The cosmology of the Fourth Way, as developed by Gurdjieff and
                        Ouspensky, is rather elegantly described as the 'Ray of Creation'.
                        As such, it subscribes almost exclusively to the law of numbers,
                        i.e, 1, 3, 6, 12, 24, 48, 96, and so on. A parallel of this number
                        scheme exists by comparing it to the work of the philosopher,
                        Proclus, who developed a system called, "emanationism", based
                        entirely on the influence of light as it descends into the earthly
                        realm. Proclus lived around 500 AD. Thus, the Macrocosm is
                        comprised of Sun and Moon, the Planets, and the Starry World of the
                        Heavens. And these are all in us in the form of a Microcosm. We
                        embody the great Universe in its entirety. The problem is that we
                        don't know it; we have forgotten this fact. In Proclus' time it was
                        still remembered. Thus, according to 4th Way logic, The Sun and the
                        Moon represent the (Do) note of the descending octave; and (Si)
                        represents the Planets. This Do-Si connection, and its results, lead
                        to a lateral octave that forms relative to the notes La-Sol-Fa, and
                        comprises organic life on earth. La-Sol-Fa represents a trinity of
                        Spiritual Beings dedicated to earth evolution, and out of which, the
                        active, passive, and neutral forces of the so-called material atom
                        are formed. Lucifer is the spiritual being behind the active force;
                        Ahriman is the spiritual being behind the passive force; and the
                        Christ is the spiritual being behind the neutral force. Active force
                        becomes the 1st force; passive force, the 2nd force; and neutral
                        force, the 3rd force. Now the system that comprises the Fourth Way
                        makes very specific reference to the fact that these forces, 1-2-3,
                        active, passive, and neutral, must become 1-3-2 in order for an
                        active manifestation of material phenomena to occur. In other words,
                        organic life on earth demands that a change of position take place
                        between the passive and neutral forces. Thus, the Christ and Ahriman
                        change places. And this change of places occurred two thousand years
                        ago. As a result, Ahriman takes the functional role of the "Being of
                        Heat Force" within the inner domain of the earth, while the Christ
                        gives the 'spark' of the neutral force over the course of three
                        years, and then ascends into the etheric realm of the earth in order
                        to fortify the moral element of the earth that has been realized
                        since 1933."
                        --From Quaternium Organum by S. G. Hale