Re: [anthroposophy_tomorrow] Balls and scores

  • deborah byron
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1, 2006
      Just an aside and not an opinion about kid's school-based sports which is
      a different matter entirely--not long ago as a friend listened to me
      express amazement at the amounts of money, attention and energy wasted on
      big-time professional sports, while much of the human race seems to circle
      the drain, he remarked simply, "its a substitute for war." Wonder if
      that's what the Greeks intended...

      DB
    • Frank Smith
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 1, 2006
        --- gaelman58 <gaelman58@...> wrote:

        > IMO, increasingly modern culture is sports
        > saturated...I know some
        > fellows who talk about little else...and soccer moms
        > in SUV's...and
        > media furor over this or that championship...and
        > it's not just the
        > USA...it's apparently a big time human concern...at
        > least for those
        > with some leisure time but maybe not for those in
        > northeast Africa.
        >
        > How do Waldorf schools deal with organized
        > competitive
        > athletics?...are they
        > encouraged?...discouraged?...ignored?
        >
        > From a practical standpoint with respect to a
        > school's viability,
        > organized sports would have to be taken into
        > account. How does that
        > work out?....G

        Baseball's spiritual-scientific activities haven´t
        reached farther south than Venezuela and Colombia, the
        rest of the continent being dominated by Lucie and
        Arie kicking head-shaped balls around. In order take a
        small step forward to counteract this influence, I
        introduced baseball in the little Waldorf school El
        Trigal here. That was 5 or 6 years ago, when my son
        was was still in the school and I was English teacher.
        So they learned American English in group dynamics:
        first base, second base, third base, home, foul ball,
        out! (most popular word), safe, etc. When they get
        excited, which is almost always, they revert to
        Spanish, even calling home "cuarta". We had a pretty
        good team (actually softball, cause we didn't have
        enough gloves for basball, not to mention catchers
        equipment), even practicing at home. Trouble was, we
        didn't have anyone to play against. I quit teaching
        this year, but still go down occasionally with my
        aluminum bat and we play, 5th and 6th grades - that's
        as far as the school goes. The kids' enthusiasm for a
        game they've never seen played and know no heroes is
        amazing. Even the girls like it, though with a few
        exceptions they...well...they throw like girls, if ya
        know what I mean, and chop at the ball like they're
        tryin to hammer it into the ground, and catch with
        their heads. When other teachers watch, they go away
        shaking their heads, muttering that they don't
        understand a thing. The phys ed teacher learned it in
        college but, well, she throws like a girl. Just the
        facts, ma'am, no sexism.
        Frank

        Frank Thomas Smith
        http://SouthernCrossReview.org

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • gaelman58
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 3, 2006
          --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, "deborah byron"
          <laquerencia33@...> wrote:

          > Just an aside and not an opinion about kid's school-based sports
          which is
          > a different matter entirely--not long ago as a friend listened to me
          > express amazement at the amounts of money, attention and energy
          wasted on
          > big-time professional sports, while much of the human race seems to
          circle
          > the drain, he remarked simply, "its a substitute for war." Wonder if
          > that's what the Greeks intended...
          >
          > DB

          Deborah: That is an interesting aside and something I've given
          thought to...I try as best I can (sometimes :) ) to look at social
          phemonena objectively...just as phenomena without the distortions of
          my sympathies or antipathies. I'd really like to know if competitive
          athletics are an important part of Waldorf eduation...I asked about
          it. Thanks to Frank I know that they play ball down in his school in
          Argentina...do you know of other instances?... Val, Sister Jo, Pete,
          anyone?

          I've often watched newsreel of young men and little boys "rioting"
          over this or that cause...they look like they're having a good time as
          far as I can make out...I've wondered what effect the sudden infusion
          of a rain of soccer balls would have on most of them.

          Or something that at first might seem preposterous...but maybe not.
          In the build-up towards the Falklands War suppose some bold statesman
          from one side or the other boldly insulted the manhood of the
          adversary and challenged them to a winner-take-all (the Malvinas
          Islands) soccer game. The jock-straps of the world would have seen
          the initiation of war as a punk-out....Gaelman
        • pete_karaiskos
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 3, 2006
            At my kid's school, they play basketball, voleyball and baseball
            competitively (against other schools).

            Pete

            --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, "gaelman58"
            <gaelman58@...> wrote:

            > --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, "deborah byron"
            > <laquerencia33@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Just an aside and not an opinion about kid's school-based sports
            > which is
            > > a different matter entirely--not long ago as a friend listened to me
            > > express amazement at the amounts of money, attention and energy
            > wasted on
            > > big-time professional sports, while much of the human race seems to
            > circle
            > > the drain, he remarked simply, "its a substitute for war." Wonder
            if
            > > that's what the Greeks intended...
            > >
            > > DB
            > >

            > Deborah: That is an interesting aside and something I've given
            > thought to...I try as best I can (sometimes :) ) to look at social
            > phemonena objectively...just as phenomena without the distortions of
            > my sympathies or antipathies. I'd really like to know if competitive
            > athletics are an important part of Waldorf eduation...I asked about
            > it. Thanks to Frank I know that they play ball down in his school in
            > Argentina...do you know of other instances?... Val, Sister Jo, Pete,
            > anyone?
            >
            > I've often watched newsreel of young men and little boys "rioting"
            > over this or that cause...they look like they're having a good time as
            > far as I can make out...I've wondered what effect the sudden infusion
            > of a rain of soccer balls would have on most of them.
            >
            > Or something that at first might seem preposterous...but maybe not.
            > In the build-up towards the Falklands War suppose some bold statesman
            > from one side or the other boldly insulted the manhood of the
            > adversary and challenged them to a winner-take-all (the Malvinas
            > Islands) soccer game. The jock-straps of the world would have seen
            > the initiation of war as a punk-out....Gaelman

          • Jo Ann Schwartz
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 3, 2006
              Hi Gaelman,

              re: competitive sports at Waldorf

              Depends on the age, at least at our school. (Our PE teacher is waldorf trained.)
              Early grades are all cooperative games, tumbling, that sort of thing. End of third
              grade, they start with some more competitive games -- capture the flag & the like.
              Goal appears to be to let the kids blow off steam as much as anything. Fifth grade
              has a lot of track & field events, because of the Olympics in the spring. Also in
              5th grade they start learning basketball and softball and it's seventh grade before
              touch football enters the mix. (Of course, many of the kids already know these
              sports from activities outside of school.) Upper grades are also learning a *lot*
              of tumbling, including doubles and group moves. Also, juggling -- some of the kids
              are really quite amazing in what they can do!

              The school does have (separate) boys and girls sports teams in basketball and
              softball. (We pair up with a nearby Friends school and field joint teams.) Sixth
              grade is 'JV' (junior varsity) and 7th & 8th grades combine for varsity. We're part
              of a local private school league (ThinkDetroit) and also participate in various
              tournaments in the metro area.

              My eldest is not sports-minded, but gamely played on both the basketball and
              baseball teams with her classmates. She was not sad that her high school did not
              have any sports teams. She does enjoy gymnastics and tumbling and has done both
              outside of waldorf. (Our family joke is that gymnastics were all that saved her in
              P.E.)

              My youngest enjoys sports a lot; but her sport of choice is soccer. So she doesn't
              play on either of the school teams, she just cheers them on! One of her criteria
              for choosing a high school is that it must have a soccer team. (Another family joke
              is that the PE teacher can't believe the two girls are related. <G>)

              They don't play soccer in gym class, btw, but a few kids do work on their moves at
              recess. Actually, my daugher is the only girl who regularly practices with the boys
              at recess and she feels it gives her a big edge when she plays on the neighborhood
              team.

              It took me a bit to reply because I wanted to vet the info with my kids before
              setting it down.

              Musing on the body in motion,
              JoAnn
            • winters_diana
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 3, 2006
                >I've often watched newsreel of young men and little boys "rioting"
                >over this or that cause...they look like they're having a good time
                >as far as I can make out...I've wondered what effect the sudden
                >infusion of a rain of soccer balls would have on most of them.

                Gaelman, you may really be onto something here! This is the best idea I
                have heard in a long time.

                It sounds so ridiculous but you know it just might work.

                The point that they often do appear to be having a good time is
                important, IMO. Honestly I think the rain of soccer balls would be a
                stroke of genius.
                Diana