Sex, Love and the Locomotive

  • tmasthenes13
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2006
      Mike,

      I'm still preparing a long response to your sex and love posting, but
      in the meantime, I thought I'd put up here Rudolf Steiner's
      famous "sex, love and the locomotive" passage.

      Tom

      It comes from a lecture entitled "Earthly Man and Cosmic Man," given
      in Berlin on May 14, 1912.

      (Translation by Rev. Richard Lewis, a Christian Community priest in
      Sacramento.)

      "Many of you will certainly know that precisely in our present
      materialistic age, this concept (love) is shoved into something else
      and distorted, in that the materialism of our time forcibly places
      the concept of love as close as possible to the concept of sexuality,
      with which it has nothing to do!

      This is a point where our present spiritual culture not only
      departs from reason, but even departs from anything that is in some
      way still allowable for healthy thinking. Here, through its
      materialism, the development in our time not only comes into the un-
      reasonable and the non-logical, but into the scandalous, when what we
      can call "love" is so closely juxtaposed with the concept of
      sexuality.

      The fact that, under certain circumstances, in addition to the
      love between man and woman, sexuality can enter in --- this fact does
      not in itself give a justifiable foundation for bringing these
      concepts as close together as possible --- on the one hand, the
      comprehensiveness [inclusiveness] of love and empathy; and on the
      other hand, the total specificness [exclusivity] of sexuality.

      Logically, this is just as intelligent as, for example, putting
      the concepts of the "locomotive" and "being run over" side by side as
      two concepts that belong together, in the same way as today love and
      sexuality [are believed to belong together]--- just because
      occasionally, locomotives do run over people!!!

      However, this close juxtaposition of the two concepts does not
      stem from some sort of scientific pre-conception, but rather from the
      nonsensical and utterly unwholesome way of thinking prevalent in our
      time."