Re: Christ-centred

  • kmlightseeker
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1, 2006
      Hi Engemi,

      --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, "engemi"
      <chameleon@...> wrote:

      > Hi Keith
      >
      > I really love it that you sent these quotations. In the beginning,
      when I
      > first read KoHW, i was struck by a seemingly biblical sence. i hated
      that,
      > because it was in my Sturm und Drang yrs, when I refused to take any
      more
      > preaching - from ánybody. But i was told by the guy who gave me the
      book,
      > and whom I attacked endlessly for "his - i felt wrongly so - belief" in
      > either Steiner and/or Anthroposophy, he will not be prepared to
      speak to me
      > on or listen to me speaking about Anthrop. unless I have read the
      book at
      > least once and did every excercise mentioned in it at least for
      three weeks
      > in continuation. I thought to hell, but then, i was young, in full
      capacity
      > of my philosophical gemuet, and thought i could win him the same as
      i won
      > everyone else who argued (or tried to) with me, so i read away.
      >
      > About six months later the man (a teacher, who incidently knew Steiner
      > personally) asked me when are we going to have another discussion on
      RS or
      > A. I said, let me finnish the book. Ah, he said, is it taking you so
      long? I
      > felt some shame, because to be honest I have at that time become so
      > intterested in it that i started making notes. I said, i have to be
      > thorough, I'm making notes, and what's more I discovered he is just
      another
      > mixed-up weirdo disciple of Christ. How come asked my friend.
      Because, I
> [...]
      > eightfold path and some of the Baghavad Gita and what not else and
      dishes it
      > up as a stew for soulgrowth, but he leaves out the human being, just
      speak
      > bout the pupil, and for one no critique of development. I don't
      think it is
      > right. Oh, said my friend, and laughed, refusing to comment further.
      >
      > Ten months later, he asked me how far i was with KoHW. I had to be
      honest. I
      > said, I'm stuck. Where? he asked. With Enlightenment, I said (you
      will know
      > it is part of the stages of innitiation) Where RS speaks about the
      pupil's
      > need to enhance his moral strength. I quote: "throughout his training,
      > indeed, he must continually enhance his moral strength, his inner
      purity,
      > and his powers of observation. To take one example only:during the
      > elementary exercises for enlightenment the pupil must take care to
      ensure
      > that his compassion for the human and animal worlds and his response
      to the
      > beauty of nature are constantly increasing. Failing this care, the
      exercises
      > would continually blunt his feelings and sensitivity; his heart
      would become
      > hardened and the senses blunted. And that would eventually lead to
      dangerous
      > results."
      >
      > So my friend said: But how or why does it bother you? You are not a
      pupil? I
      > said, I know, but that when hé told me to do the exercises, I took
      it very
      > seriously and did so. And now I was scared, in case what RS said was
      true -
      > remember, I explained, I am still there where everything is 50/50
      true or
      > false.
      >
      > So, he said, just do it then, and go through it. I said, no, I
      can't, I hate
      > too much. There's been too much pain in my life, my history, my
      family, my
      > country.
      >
      > We sat quiet for a long time, each with his own thoughts. And
      because I knew
      > some of what he told me about his own rather wild life, as wild as
      my own, I
      > think we touched in thought on what was know about RS and others on
      their
      > esoteric paths. Eventually he said skip all and go to the end; read the
      > Appendix. (It is the appendix to the 8th edition, 1918) Then go
      backwards,
      > read Life and Death and the Great guardian of the Threshold, and
      then read
      > the Conditions of Esoteric Training, and when you've done that, we
      can talk.
      > This book is no good after one read only. You can come to the
      Enlightenment
      > at a later stage.
      >
      > Such I did. And my old-falling-into-pieces KoHW is marked with most
      of the
      > quotes you mentioned here. it was such a good reminder. Thank you.
      >
      > Best
      > engemi

      Your welcome.

      Thank you for some of your experiences with the developmental Path. It
      seems like some things need time to unfold - not just a matter of
      mental grasping of information but experience and indeed feeling. It's
      a challenging proposition for sure.

      I like the KoHW and it's approach to the subject of initiation. I also
      feel it's very well written and organised as a book.

      Anyway, thanks for your comments.

      Regards,

      Keith