Re: Christ-centred

  • kmlightseeker
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1, 2006
      Hi Val,

      --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, "isenhart7"
      <isenhart7@...> wrote:

      > > --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com,
      > > "kmlightseeker" <kmlightseeker@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Interesting:
      > > >
      > > > " 15:12 "This is my commandment, that you love one another,
      > > even as I
      > > > have loved you. 15:13 Greater love has no one than this, that
      > > someone
      > > > lay down his life for his friends. 15:14 You are my friends, if
      > you
      > > do
      > > > whatever I command you. 15:15 No longer do I call you
      > > servants, for
      > > > the servant doesn't know what his lord does. But I have
      > called
      > > you
      > > > friends, for everything that I heard from my Father, I have
      > made
      > > known
      > > > to you....
      >
      > Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against one of your
      > people, but love your neighbor as yourself. I am the LORD. (NIV,
      > Leviticus 19:18)
      >
      > The second is this, 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.'
      > There is no other commandment greater than these. (NRSV,
      > Mark 12:31)
      >
      > So what do people think this means, to love your neighbor as
      > yourself? I think it means, as a practical matter, to cut them
      > some slack. I know most of my own biography by heart and so I
      > understand some of the reasons for my own dysfunction. And of
      > course, of course, I've rationalized my own dysfinction along the
      > way or I wouldn't have been able to live with myself. Been there,
      > done that.

      I think that's true.

      > And I think this is why biographical work, whether for an
      > individual or an organization can be so healing . There's the old
      > saying attributed to the Native Americans, I expect Steven Clarke
      > knows its origins better than I, that says we can't know how
      > another feels until we've walked a mile in his moccasins.

      I agree. Not many people seem to do this from my observation...at
      least, not everyone.

      > Also, if you think about it, if we practiced this really-we walked in
      > another person's shoes for a mile then we'd be a mile away from
      > them when we finally replied. Oh, sorry it's Mrs. Math Person
      > coming out in me again. Here's a more imaginative picture of the
      > saying perhaps:
      >
      > "Until you walk a mile in another man's moccasins, you can't
      > imagine the smell." Robert Byrne

      :))))))

      Regards,

      Keith
    • kmlightseeker
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 1, 2006
        Hi Engemi,

        --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, "engemi"
        <chameleon@...> wrote:

        > Hi Keith
        >
        > I really love it that you sent these quotations. In the beginning,
        when I
        > first read KoHW, i was struck by a seemingly biblical sence. i hated
        that,
        > because it was in my Sturm und Drang yrs, when I refused to take any
        more
        > preaching - from ánybody. But i was told by the guy who gave me the
        book,
        > and whom I attacked endlessly for "his - i felt wrongly so - belief" in
        > either Steiner and/or Anthroposophy, he will not be prepared to
        speak to me
        > on or listen to me speaking about Anthrop. unless I have read the
        book at
        > least once and did every excercise mentioned in it at least for
        three weeks
        > in continuation. I thought to hell, but then, i was young, in full
        capacity
        > of my philosophical gemuet, and thought i could win him the same as
        i won
        > everyone else who argued (or tried to) with me, so i read away.
        >
        > About six months later the man (a teacher, who incidently knew Steiner
        > personally) asked me when are we going to have another discussion on
        RS or
        > A. I said, let me finnish the book. Ah, he said, is it taking you so
        long? I
        > felt some shame, because to be honest I have at that time become so
        > intterested in it that i started making notes. I said, i have to be
        > thorough, I'm making notes, and what's more I discovered he is just
        another
        > mixed-up weirdo disciple of Christ. How come asked my friend.
        Because, I
> [...]
        > eightfold path and some of the Baghavad Gita and what not else and
        dishes it
        > up as a stew for soulgrowth, but he leaves out the human being, just
        speak
        > bout the pupil, and for one no critique of development. I don't
        think it is
        > right. Oh, said my friend, and laughed, refusing to comment further.
        >
        > Ten months later, he asked me how far i was with KoHW. I had to be
        honest. I
        > said, I'm stuck. Where? he asked. With Enlightenment, I said (you
        will know
        > it is part of the stages of innitiation) Where RS speaks about the
        pupil's
        > need to enhance his moral strength. I quote: "throughout his training,
        > indeed, he must continually enhance his moral strength, his inner
        purity,
        > and his powers of observation. To take one example only:during the
        > elementary exercises for enlightenment the pupil must take care to
        ensure
        > that his compassion for the human and animal worlds and his response
        to the
        > beauty of nature are constantly increasing. Failing this care, the
        exercises
        > would continually blunt his feelings and sensitivity; his heart
        would become
        > hardened and the senses blunted. And that would eventually lead to
        dangerous
        > results."
        >
        > So my friend said: But how or why does it bother you? You are not a
        pupil? I
        > said, I know, but that when hé told me to do the exercises, I took
        it very
        > seriously and did so. And now I was scared, in case what RS said was
        true -
        > remember, I explained, I am still there where everything is 50/50
        true or
        > false.
        >
        > So, he said, just do it then, and go through it. I said, no, I
        can't, I hate
        > too much. There's been too much pain in my life, my history, my
        family, my
        > country.
        >
        > We sat quiet for a long time, each with his own thoughts. And
        because I knew
        > some of what he told me about his own rather wild life, as wild as
        my own, I
        > think we touched in thought on what was know about RS and others on
        their
        > esoteric paths. Eventually he said skip all and go to the end; read the
        > Appendix. (It is the appendix to the 8th edition, 1918) Then go
        backwards,
        > read Life and Death and the Great guardian of the Threshold, and
        then read
        > the Conditions of Esoteric Training, and when you've done that, we
        can talk.
        > This book is no good after one read only. You can come to the
        Enlightenment
        > at a later stage.
        >
        > Such I did. And my old-falling-into-pieces KoHW is marked with most
        of the
        > quotes you mentioned here. it was such a good reminder. Thank you.
        >
        > Best
        > engemi

        Your welcome.

        Thank you for some of your experiences with the developmental Path. It
        seems like some things need time to unfold - not just a matter of
        mental grasping of information but experience and indeed feeling. It's
        a challenging proposition for sure.

        I like the KoHW and it's approach to the subject of initiation. I also
        feel it's very well written and organised as a book.

        Anyway, thanks for your comments.

        Regards,

        Keith