Celebrating Rudolf Steiner's Death Day

  • tmasthenes13
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 30, 2006
      Four score and one years ago today, Rudolf Steiner croaked.

      Let us now celebrate his Death Day anniversary on
      Anthroposophy_Tomorrow.

      I would like to proceed as if I were back teaching Algebra at Pete
      K's Waldorf School, only with you all as my students in our One Room
      Little Red Cyber-Schoolhouse.

      Here's today's Algebra Word Problem:
      If a "score" is equal to 20 years, then how many years ago did Rudolf
      Steiner croak?

      First step? Yes, let's translate this English language word problem
      into Algebra

      But first an important digression. You all know how Mister Mellett
      loves language and how he always
      brings you the etymologies or derivations of scientific and
      mathematical terms.
      So let's look at the derivation of the word "algebra." Where did this
      word come from?

      [Sorry to interrupt your own important agendas here, but I still see
      some cell phones, blackberries and I-pods out. You know the drill,
      I'm coming around with our very special straw-woven Waldorf
      kindergarten collection basket, so you can donate your favorite
      bionic body and brain parts for the rest of the day. Thank you for
      your generosity, and Petey, yes, I agree with you that it would be a
      real tragedy if your mother suddenly died this morning, but you still
      need to give up your cell phone during class because, in the event
      your mother did die, someone would call the office and then we would
      notify you of her death.]
      (Whops, sorry, for a moment I was back in the high school classroom!)

      OK "algebra" is originally an Arabic word. It comes from "al jabir,"
      also spelled "al geber" and it is a noun that means "the reunion" or
      else, "the completion." In fact, since we're in Southern
      California, the word could be translated into our New Age dialect
      as "nirvana" or "being at One with everything." Or, if you have
      strong Virgo planets in your natal chart: "perfection."

      The word itself comes from the title of a book written around 820 AD
      by a famous Persian mathematician, yes, he lived in Iraq, near
      Baghdad. His full name was:

      Muhammad ibn Musa al-Khwarizmi

      The book title transliterated in Arabic looks like this:

      Kitab al-Jabr wa-l-Muqabala

      Then it was translated into medieval Latin as

      "Liber algebrae et almucabala"

      In English this means:

      "The Book of Completion and Balancing"

      Incidentally, the man who wrote this book, al-Khwarizmi, had his last
      name translated in to Latin as "Algoritmi" and from that Latin word,
      we get another important term in mathematics called "algorithm."

      So what's the lesson here? Please learn your math. It's very
      important for your will forces, children. You know that while men
      like al-Khwarizmi were studiously mastering mathematics, astronomy,
      astrology, chemistry and physics in their Gondishapur University, all
      you romantic types were Luci-Goosi-ferically devloping your feeling
      forces with all this troubador stuff, silly slacker Parsifal chasing
      after the Grail like he was some archetypal hippie or flower
      child.

      OK, so let's do the word problem, class, shall we?
      Translating this algebra word problem into numbers,
      Four score and one gives us (4 x 20) + 1 = ??

      Yes, 81 is the answer.

      So our esteemed Teacher died 81 years ago today.

      Now let's continue with the lesson.

      What are the prime factors of this magic number 81?

      Well, is it even? No, so 2 is out. What about 3?

      OK, keep dividing by 3.

      Yes, that's right. Divide 81 by 3 you get 27.

      Divide that by 3 again you get 9 and again, you get 3.

      So we have get 3 times 3 times 3 times 3 times 3

      Or 3 raised to the 4th power = 81

      But 81 is also a perfect square.

      So 9 times 9 = 81

      Nine squared. This has to do with hierarchies, so algebra class is
      over.

      OK, Now it's time for comparative religion and metaphysics class.

      When I was a young Catholic boy in New York City, in the 4th grade at
      Our Lady Queen of Martyrs elementary school, I learned from my
      Franciscan nun, Sister Mary Dolores, all about the 9 hierarchies of
      angels, between us humans and the Godhead of the Trinity. You know
      them well here: angels, archangels, archai, all the way up to:
      Thrones, Cherubim & Seraphim. Rudolf Steiner got his names for the
      angels from Dionysios the Areopagite as did we Catholic children.

      Now for the comparative religion part. Around the same time that I
      was learning about these angelic hierarchies, my older brother was in
      college (late 1950s) and he brought home some folk singer records,
      like the Kingston Trio, Pete Seeger, and Burl Ives. And one of my
      favorite Burl Ives' songs was all about hierarchy in the insect and
      animal kingdom.

      I thought I would reproduce the lyrics here because they are so
      instructive of the hierarchical process, but this particular Burl
      Ives' hierarchy struck me as very descriptive of the Waldorf Critics
      and the Defenders of Anthroposophy and their symbiotic relationship
      with each other. After all, all of us here are fellow students in the
      School of Michael that Bradford keeps us mindful of.

      OK, let's have a period for chorus before we get back to the academic
      subjects.

      Everybody takes your places and get ready to sing the Burl Ives'
      Hierarchy Song.

      ------------------------------------

      I KNOW AN OLD LADY WHO SWALLOWED A FLY

      I know an old lady who swallowed a fly.
      I don't know why she swallowed the fly.
      Perhaps she'll die.

      I know an old lady who swallowed a spider
      That wriggled and jiggled and tickled inside her.
      She swallowed the spider to catch the fly.
      I don't know why she swallowed the fly.
      Perhaps she'll die.

      I know an old lady who swallowed a bird.
      It's absurd . . . to swallow a bird!
      She swallowed the bird to catch the spider
      That wriggled and jiggled and tickled inside her.
      She swallowed the spider to catch the fly.
      I don't know why she swallowed the fly.
      Perhaps she'll die.

      [Continue building and nesting the stanzas.]

      I know an old lady who swallowed a __________

      Cat . . . Imagine that! She swallowed a cat.
      Dog . . . What a hog! She swallowed a dog.
      Goat . . . She opened her throat and in walked a goat.
      Cow . . . I don't know how she swallowed that cow.

      Perhaps she'll die.

      [Final Verse]

      I know an old lady, she swallowed a horse.
      She's dead, of course!

      [The End]
      ====================================

      All right! Wonderful voices.

      But, excuse me, Petey, did you think I didn't
      see you putting some foreign object into Dottie's backpack all the
      while you were pretending to sing behind her? I want you both to
      come up here, Dottie, bring your backpack to show the evidence, and
      Petey, I'll give you a chance to tell Dottie just what it was you
      stuck in there and why you did it. And then you take it back. Then
      you apologize to Dottie. And, Petey, after last period today, I want
      you to come over to the science lab where you will write 50 times on
      the blackboard, 7 times with each of the 7 rainbow colors of chalk
      and one final one in white, the following sentence:

      "If Rudolf Steiner is a racist, then so am I."

      Now to the anthroposophy lesson on Rudolf Steiner's Death Day.

      For this, I wonder if Mister Lightsearcher, way in the back of the
      class, would bring forth one of his favorite topics, which is how the
      Defenders of Anthroposophy on this A_T group are actually feeding on
      the carcass of anthroposophy, or words to that effect. Such a
      wonderful, vibrant and most of all -- accurate observation and
      imagination of what goes on here.

      Mr. Lightsearcher gives us this wonderful picture of a rotting corpse
      or carcass of anthroposophy, dead since 1925 but not buried, being
      always fought over and ripped open and apart, not a pretty sight, nor
      does it smell nice either. But that bad smell, as disgusting as it
      is, is paradoxically, a sign that there is a great spiritualizing
      process going on. Those of you here who may remember last month's
      alchemy main lesson, know that every process of spiritualization is
      necessarily accompanied by some kind of putrefaction process. And the
      corpus (pun intended) of anthroposophy is no exception.

      It's dead and it stinks. But not until the advent of the Internet
      were we able to move forward with this spiritualizing-putrefying
      process.

      Why the Burl Ives hierarchy song? Well, to complete the
      spiritualizing process, we need some natural elemental helpers,
      namely, the flies drawn to the carcass and the eggs they lay which
      quickly turn into maggots, which start consuming the rot and when all
      is done, there will remain this beautiful and pristine skeleton of
      anthroposophy, which we can then clean up, dry up, stand up in the
      school and even use it for future school festivals, especially
      Halloween and the Day of the Dead festivals.

      Now the only questions remaining are: who are the flies? And who are
      the maggots? That's easy. The flies, drawn to the carcass, are all
      the Defenders of Anthroposophy, who have been buzzing around the
      corpse for decades laying their eggs. And you know how it is with
      these anthropops and moms. All they talk about is "planting a seed
      for the future." They have no clue how to get things done, but their
      maggots do! And the maggots? The Waldorf Critics of course. And they
      do the most wonderful job of consuming the rotting flesh of
      anthroposophy. Why, at this rate, we ought to be down to the skeleton
      by the time of the Mayan Calendar runs out at the Winter Solstice of
      2012.

      And now maybe you can realize the importance of the Burl Ives' song.
      The seeds laid by the anthro-flies, i.e. the maggots, couldn't really
      start wriggling until the Internet arrived and we know that the
      Internet,
      according to Rudolf Steiner's lecture cycle about the Mexican
      Mysteries, is the beginning of that "hideous mass of spider beings,
      half-plant, half mineral, which will weave their pulsating spidery
      web around the earth in the near future." Well RS said that more than
      four score and one years ago, and here we are. Is he a prophet or
      what?

      So there are the nasty spider beings, all wriggling and jiggling and
      tickling inside the belly of the Old Lady, who must be the Divine
      Sophia, actually the Being Anthroposophia, and they are there to eat
      the anthro-flies one by one, but in the great wisdom of the universal
      process, these spider beings can't eat the maggots until the maggots
      themselves turn into flies, and there we have evolution, the Great
      Chain of Being, and in a great and humorous cosmic irony, by the time
      all the maggots become flies themselves, the great carcass of
      anthroposophy will have been picked clean and eaten dry.

      Can't you just picture it at the end of the 3rd millennium when,
      there will emerge a vast spidery web of Waldorf Schools worldwide,
      each one named for the love of Pete, like, for example, the West
      Coast Nebraska Pete Karaiskos Waldorf School, where you will find
      such erstwhile maggots as Mr. Dan Dugan taking the 1st grade class,
      Mr. Peter Staudenmeier as a kindergarten teacher; Lady Diana as
      faculty chair, etc., and of course, the former flies of the 21st
      century will be reincarnated as their eager students: Dottie,
      Bradford, Frank, JoAnn, Deborah, Joel, engemi, the whole motley crew!

      Ah, karma! There goes the bell. So all's well that ends well, and
      that's the
      lesson for today, children. For your homework, no written assignment
      tonight, but do contemplate this question: Why is it that there is
      such exclusive and obsessive emphasis on the racism of Rudolf
      Steiner, but not a peep about his sexism? I mean, why is it that
      racism has become more "sexy" a topic around here than sex itself?

      Don't forget to take that question into your sleep life tonight,
      especially if you're not sleeping alone. (If you are sleeping alone,
      remember the warnings of the dear nuns: refrain from, ah, self-
      fructification, as it were, or else you'll either go blind, grow hair
      on your palms or both.)

      Class dismissed.

      Oh, Lady Diana, if you have a minute to stay after
      class, I'd like to respond to your well-documented complaint about
      the, uh, shall we say, narrow,as it were, literary interests of
      Anthroposophists. I just wanted to tell you about a former Waldorf
      Teacher in Britain who won the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1983.
      His most famous book was actually based upon his Waldorf teaching
      experience in the years following WW II. I refer, of course, to
      William Golding, author of "Lord of the Flies."

      And in light of your
      Waldorf kindergarten horror story about the child cutting herself
      with the sharp "art knife," I'd like to leave you with a quote from a
      critic named David Gribble, who said this about Golding's book:

      "The real message of `The Lord of the Flies' is not that children
      without adult control are barbarians; it is that the experience of
      adult control guides them into barbarism."

      Musing why he has to be a 9 on the enneagram,

      Tom Mellett
    • pete_karaiskos
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 30, 2006
        Shit... no wonder my kid never learned anything in school.

        Pete

        --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, "tmasthenes13"
        <TomBuoyed@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > the, uh, shall we say, narrow,as it were, literary interests of
        > Anthroposophists. I just wanted to tell you about a former Waldorf
        > Teacher in Britain who won the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1983.
        > His most famous book was actually based upon his Waldorf teaching
        > experience in the years following WW II. I refer, of course, to
        > William Golding, author of "Lord of the Flies."
        >
        > And in light of your
        > Waldorf kindergarten horror story about the child cutting herself
        > with the sharp "art knife," I'd like to leave you with a quote from a
        > critic named David Gribble, who said this about Golding's book:
        >
        > "The real message of `The Lord of the Flies' is not that children
        > without adult control are barbarians; it is that the experience of
        > adult control guides them into barbarism."
        >

        > Musing why he has to be a 9 on the enneagram,

      • winters_diana
        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 30, 2006
          Tom:

          >Why is it that there is such exclusive and obsessive emphasis on the
          >racism of Rudolf Steiner, but not a peep about his sexism?

          I wonder this guiltily on occasion, too. It seems like I ought to do
          something about it, but the fact is people just don't care. If you
          say the guy was a sexist people yawn. Obviously he was a sexist, it
          is just as easy and quick to prove as racist, but it just isn't
          interesting. It's simple: sexism is quite socially acceptable, racism
          is not.

          >Oh, Lady Diana, if you have a minute to stay after class, I'd like
          >to respond to your well-documented complaint about the, uh, shall we
          >say, narrow,as it were, literary interests of Anthroposophists.

          Was it well documented, or are you complaining? I don't remember this
          so I'm not sure.

          Recently I think I induced Bradford to actually read the latest Kurt
          Vonnegut book, so maybe there's hope.

          >I just wanted to tell you about a former Waldorf Teacher in Britain
          >who won the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1983. His most famous book
          >was actually based upon his Waldorf teaching experience in the years
          >following WW II. I refer, of course, to William Golding, author
          >of "Lord of the Flies."

          Are you kidding? I've never heard this, are you joking? We've often
          referred to Waldorf playgrounds and classrooms as Lord of the Flies
          and it TOTALLY describes ours. But it was just a cliche.

          >And in light of your Waldorf kindergarten horror story about the
          >child cutting herself with the sharp "art knife,"

          Sigh. So now it's an art knife. It's official.

          >I'd like to leave you with a quote from a critic named David
          >Gribble, who said this about Golding's book:

          >"The real message of `The Lord of the Flies' is not that children
          >without adult control are barbarians; it is that the experience of
          >adult control guides them into barbarism."

          I know what he means, but I can hardly see it as an excuse for not
          supervising properly. I truly don't think, Tom, that the lesson to
          learn is to leave them to themselves even if they get injured. It is
          a comment on the more typical nature of adult control - not a
          suggestion that adults not give a shit.
          Diana
        • ishtarmustdie
          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 30, 2006
            <TomBuoyed@...> wrote:
            > Musing why he has to be a 9 on the enneagram,
            >
            > Tom Mellett

            It is very interesting that you complete your thought with this
            reference to the enneagram. I wonder how many people have considered
            that the dodecahedron and the enneagram represent the two great mystic
            symbols of the 20th century. The former refers to the model of man as
            universal human, and latter to the concept of self-remembering. I am a
            five in this life, which means I was a seven in my last, and destined
            to be an eight in my next. This model was built when Michael called
            forth the folk soul of the Russian people 1500 years in advance of
            Philadelphia. And this occurred in May of 1915, right about the time
            that Gurdjieff sat down with Ouspensky at a cafe in Moscow. He was
            Pythagoras in a former life, but I suspect you might know that;
            initiated directly by Zarathos, Gurdjieff would have remembrances of
            being related to Zarathustra throughout his great and painstaking
            work, "Beelzebub's Tales to His Grandson".

            His task was to offload to an intellectual, thus his need for Ouspensky.
            In short, Steiner brought the astral stream of old to meet the etheric
            stream of old in the form of the Russian folk soul's calling from
            Michael. And when someone can put these two together, then you have
            something.

            Steve
          • ishtarmustdie
            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 30, 2006
              --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, "winters_diana"
              <diana.winters@...> wrote:

              > Tom:
              >
              > >Why is it that there is such exclusive and obsessive emphasis on the
              > >racism of Rudolf Steiner, but not a peep about his sexism?
              >
              > I wonder this guiltily on occasion, too. It seems like I ought to do
              > something about it, but the fact is people just don't care. If you
              > say the guy was a sexist people yawn. Obviously he was a sexist, it
              > is just as easy and quick to prove as racist, but it just isn't
              > interesting. It's simple: sexism is quite socially acceptable, racism
              > is not.

              The only sexism I know of is Steiner's continual reference to the work
              of men in the endeavors of his very positive spiritual philosophy. I
              believe it has to do with the necessary continuance of the male
              principle in the transition from the intellectual to the consciousness
              soul age.

              Steve
            • Tarjei Straume
              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 30, 2006
                Tom wrote:

                >Everybody takes your places and get ready to sing the Burl Ives'
                >Hierarchy Song.
                >
                >------------------------------------
                >
                >I KNOW AN OLD LADY WHO SWALLOWED A FLY
                >
                >I know an old lady who swallowed a fly.
                >I don't know why she swallowed the fly.
                >Perhaps she'll die.
                >
                >I know an old lady who swallowed a spider
                >That wriggled and jiggled and tickled inside her.
                >She swallowed the spider to catch the fly.
                >I don't know why she swallowed the fly.
                >Perhaps she'll die.
                >
                >I know an old lady who swallowed a bird.
                >It's absurd . . . to swallow a bird!
                >She swallowed the bird to catch the spider
                >That wriggled and jiggled and tickled inside her.
                >She swallowed the spider to catch the fly.
                >I don't know why she swallowed the fly.
                >Perhaps she'll die.
                >
                >[Continue building and nesting the stanzas.]
                >
                >I know an old lady who swallowed a __________
                >
                >Cat . . . Imagine that! She swallowed a cat.
                >Dog . . . What a hog! She swallowed a dog.
                >Goat . . . She opened her throat and in walked a goat.
                >Cow . . . I don't know how she swallowed that cow.
                >
                >Perhaps she'll die.
                >
                >[Final Verse]
                >
                >I know an old lady, she swallowed a horse.
                >She's dead, of course!
                >
                >[The End]

                I love it, Tom! You know what, I heard that song on the radio in
                England in the early seventies - 35 years ago! - and it's been with
                me ever since. I heard it ONCE, and I remembered it from beginning to
                end! Thanks again, Tom!

                Tarjei
              • Mike helsher
                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 30, 2006
                  Tom wrote:
                  > It's dead and it stinks. But not until the advent of the Internet
                  > were we able to move forward with this spiritualizing-putrefying
                  > process.
                  >
                  > Why the Burl Ives hierarchy song? Well, to complete the
                  > spiritualizing process, we need some natural elemental helpers,
                  > namely, the flies drawn to the carcass and the eggs they lay which
                  > quickly turn into maggots, which start consuming the rot and when
                  all
                  > is done, there will remain this beautiful and pristine skeleton of
                  > anthroposophy, which we can then clean up, dry up, stand up in the
                  > school and even use it for future school festivals, especially
                  > Halloween and the Day of the Dead festivals.

                  This is just wonderful...:)

                  In the immortal words of Mr. Spock:

                  "Fascinating"

                  You be quita da word smitha dare brother Tom..:)

                  You speaka da quit a da metaphore aye?

                  Probly comes up One's and zero's to those who speaka da pure
                  intellect.

                  Remember in the old "air Plane" movie?

                  Mrs. Clever speaking "jive"...:)

                  If RS was right, and sex and Love are indeed mutually exclusive, then
                  maybe thats why he left us a corps to feed on. My X Buddhist buddies
                  were always be meditating of death and rotting corpses to quell thier
                  sexual desires. Perhaps if we weren't all buzzing and crawling around
                  this corps, we'd all be out sport-fucking like crazey..:-O

                  fascinating!

                  Mike

> [...]
                  > the, uh, shall we say, narrow,as it were, literary interests of
                  > Anthroposophists. I just wanted to tell you about a former Waldorf
                  > Teacher in Britain who won the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1983.
                  > His most famous book was actually based upon his Waldorf teaching
                  > experience in the years following WW II. I refer, of course, to
                  > William Golding, author of "Lord of the Flies."
                  >
                  > And in light of your
                  > Waldorf kindergarten horror story about the child cutting herself
                  > with the sharp "art knife," I'd like to leave you with a quote from
                  > critic named David Gribble, who said this about Golding's book:
                  >
                  > "The real message of `The Lord of the Flies' is not that children
                  > without adult control are barbarians; it is that the experience of
                  > adult control guides them into barbarism."
                  >

                  > Musing why he has to be a 9 on the enneagram,

                • tmasthenes13
                  Message 8 of 19 , Apr 1, 2006
                    Steve Hale wrote:

                    > It is very interesting that you complete your thought with this
                    > reference to the enneagram. I wonder how many people have
                    considered
                    > that the dodecahedron and the enneagram represent the two great
                    mystic
                    > symbols of the 20th century. The former refers to the model of man
                    as
                    > universal human, and latter to the concept of self-remembering. I
                    am a
                    > five in this life, which means I was a seven in my last, and
                    destined
                    > to be an eight in my next. This model was built when Michael
                    called
                    > forth the folk soul of the Russian people 1500 years in advance of
                    > Philadelphia. And this occurred in May of 1915, right about the
                    time
                    > that Gurdjieff sat down with Ouspensky at a cafe in Moscow. He was
                    > Pythagoras in a former life, but I suspect you might know that;
                    > initiated directly by Zarathos, Gurdjieff would have remembrances
                    of
                    > being related to Zarathustra throughout his great and painstaking
                    > work, "Beelzebub's Tales to His Grandson".
                    >
                    > His task was to offload to an intellectual, thus his need for
                    Ouspensky.
                    > In short, Steiner brought the astral stream of old to meet the
                    etheric
                    > stream of old in the form of the Russian folk soul's calling from
                    > Michael. And when someone can put these two together, then you
                    have
                    > something.
                    ---------------------------------------

                    Steve,

                    Great stuff about the enneagram, especially about the polarity
                    between the dodecahedron and the enneagram, the 12 and the 9, but
                    actually it's the 3 x 3 as well as the Law of Seven. Also, the 12ness
                    represents Space and the Nine-ness seems to represent Time, perhaps
                    redeeming Kant's a priori categories for us all.

                    I like David Eyes article here:
                    http://www.awakenings.com/properties/threeandseven/

                    Myself being a 9, and having just passed through Steiner's 9 by 9 =
                    81st death day, I can see my obsession with all things hierarchical.

                    It may be difficult for some here to realize that I live out the 9
                    characteristic of being a peacemaker or mediator. The problem is that
                    the core issue of anger for the 8, the 9 and the 1 is anything but
                    peaceful.

                    I have found the enneagram to be the best way of learning how to
                    judge people --- insofar as it allows us to "take the beam out of our
                    own eyes" so that we can learn how to judge our brothers and sisters
                    properly.

                    As for Gurdjieff, I wonder if you could shed some light on
                    some "anthropoop" I overheard in AP circles, about G in relation to
                    Steiner.

                    I heard that one time Gurdjieff paid a visit to the Goetheanum, but
                    when Steiner heard about it, he became livid, and actually had to be
                    physically restrained from attacking G. The reason apparently was
                    that RS did not want all the evil, nasty, egregore-type entities in
                    G's "astral body entourage" to contaminate the pristine etheric
                    spiritual atmosphere of the Goetheanum.

                    (Usually there's some grain of truth in anthropoop, you
                    know, "There's got to be a pony around here somewhere.")

                    In mentioning reincarnating and the 9-gram, you give a sequence for
                    yourself of 7-5-8, which is the reverse order of the decimal digit
                    expansion of the repeating fraction 6/7 = .857142.......

                    However, the 7 aspect of the 9-gram does not include the Trinity of
                    digits: 3,6,9.

                    So, if I am a 9 in this life, what, pray tell, is my past life number
                    and what will be my next one? (I hope I'm not destined to keep
                    chasing my bushy Buddha tail around the 3-6-9 trianglular "wheel of
                    karma" (Wankel Engine of Destiny???) now, am I?)

                    Thank you for your hierarchical help. We could all use lessons in
                    self-remembering as we fondle our respective dodecahedrons..

                    Tom
                  • tmasthenes13
                    Message 9 of 19 , Apr 1, 2006
                      Mike Helser wrote:

                      > If RS was right, and sex and Love are indeed mutually exclusive,
                      then
                      > maybe that's why he left us a corps to feed on. My X Buddhist
                      buddies
                      > were always be meditating of death and rotting corpses to quell
                      their
                      > sexual desires. Perhaps if we weren't all buzzing and crawling
                      around
                      > this corps, we'd all be out sport-fucking like crazey..:-O
                      >
                      > fascinating!
                      ------------------------------

                      Yo Mike!

                      Thanks for appreciating my metaphors. I always loved the upgrade that
                      Marshall McLuhan gave to the statement made 2 centuries ago by the
                      great Limey poet Robert Browning:

                      "Man's reach must exceed his grasp, or else, what's a heaven for?"

                      Mercurial oracle Marshy Mac Luhan changed that to:

                      "Man's reach must exceed his grasp, or else what's a metaphor?"

                      Nyuk! Nyuk! Nyuk!

                      Anyway, I must first give you a short lesson in speaking the dialect
                      of Classical Anthroposophese. You expressed yourself in the rather
                      coarse vernacular, using the term "sport-fucking."

                      The f-word in Classical Anthroposophese is not 4 letters, but 8, to
                      wit: "fructify." So, in future anthro-social gatherings, be they 3-
                      fold or not, or whether here online or in an actual study group, you
                      might try impressing your comrades by saying: "sport-fructification"
                      or "sport-fructifying" or even the most formal expression of
                      all: "undergoing a process, as it were, of sport-fructification."

                      I am fascinated, in a very Spock-like way (and I could be subtly
                      referring here to Benjy's sister Marjorie), with your correlation
                      between meditating on corpses and quelling those rather insistent
                      desires of a fructifactory nature. I assume you may be referring to
                      the Hindu vow of "brahmacharya," which is not just sexual celibacy,
                      but refraining from eating meat and other coarse sensual stuff. But
                      all that seems to be such a "guy thing" and also pretty atavistic.

                      But the truth is, I could actually more easily imagine my own
                      parents "undergoing, as it were, a process of mutual fructifcation"
                      than I ever could imagine Rudolf Steiner playing "hide the pickle"
                      with any woman, be it Marie the Dour, or even Lovely Ita, Ita babe,
                      (sing it: ". . . where would I be without you? Give us a wink and
                      make me think of you. . . . Lovely Ita, Ita-babe!).

                      (I was once exiled from a study group in Tennessee when an old S98
                      post of mine surfaced where I had speculated on the idea that the
                      real love of Rudy's life was not Marie, but Ita! Sigh! Ah, so much
                      for neo-Platonic romanticism. )

                      So here we have this unsettling, disquieting possibility that the
                      entire corpus (not corpse now) of anthroposophy, the entire
                      Gesamtausgabe, could have been founded on the repression of Rudolf
                      Steiner's fructificatorial urges. But wait, there is a new sexual
                      revolution going on and Rudolf Steiner may someday be canonized as
                      the patron saint of this very "brahmacharyan" movement called
                      ASEXUALITY. Check out this website for info
                      http://www.asexuality.org/info.htm

                      After all, since the asexuals have a T-shirt now, then they have to
                      be an official and bona fide social movement, right? Now check out
                      their Yahoo group, which you can read without subscribing as you can
                      with A_T
                      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/havenforthehumanamoeba/messages

                      As of today they have 589 members, as compared to 232 on A_T.

                      Oh and their slogan on the T-shirt reads:

                      ASEXUALITY: NOT JUST FOR AMOEBAS ANYMORE!

                      But now back to repression. Years ago, in the heyday of Steiner98,
                      the erudite techno-scholar William Irwin Thompson happened to fall
                      down the rabbit hole of S98. I had accused him then of calling
                      Steiner queer. While dusting himself off, Billy, aka, WIT, related
                      to us that it was not he, but rather the New Age historian Rick
                      Tarnas, who had actually made the remark that he thought Rudolf
                      Steiner was a "repressed homosexual."

                      Now, when the angels let me, I will pontificate on the spiritual-
                      scientific principles of homosexuality. But they involve the rather
                      complicated cross-pollination, as it were, (even cross-dressing? )
                      No, better say, cross-weaving, as it were, of the male and female
                      etheric-physical sheathes analogous to the way vision works through
                      the optic chiasma. Interestingly enough, the phenomenon, as far as I
                      can surmise --- with a straight face and a flaccid "lower larynx," as
                      it were --- is neither genetic nor karmic in origin. However, if you
                      would like to observe Goetheanistically, the phenomena of gayness and
                      lesbianhood, do go out and see the movie Transamerica, where Felicity
                      Huffman won the best Actress Oscar for portraying a pre-operative
                      transsexual man becoming a woman.

                      (For if you can catch such a person, before he, makes the,
                      er, "final cut," as it were, then much may be clarified in the
                      seer's (or is it sneer's?") inner spiritual perception of the inter-
                      twining astral-etheric-physical mysteries of the male and female. I
                      blush as I report this, but I must say, in all candor, that my
                      Goetheanistic observations --- seeing in thinking and thinking in
                      seeing --- of pre-op trannies, (known more colorfully as "chicks with
                      dicks") were simultaneously the most titillating and penetrating
                      clairsentient experiences of the entire course of my post-pubescent
                      life!)

                      Anyway, this whole Transamerica phenomenon, so mainstream out here in
                      the City of Angels, has inspired me to ask the most profound
                      questions of spiritual science I have come up with to date:

                      Does size matter in counterspace?

                      But now, let's get back home to the A_T group here. Robert Sardello
                      also fell down the S98 rabbit hole, and he gave us a fascinating
                      discussion of the sexual forces inherent on the Internet, which he
                      termed "cyber-dildonics." I agreed with him and pointed to the work
                      of Marshall McLuhan, who wrote about how the medium itself gradually
                      changes the content of the medium to express itself more honestly and
                      genuinely. (For example, when the movie medium first started, its
                      content was of live plays and opera; today, the content of movies is
                      much more determined by the actual medium of movies itself.)

                      So, given that we appear to each other here only through e-mail
                      messages, sans physical body contact, sans voice contact, sans
                      images; and, given that the essence/energy of this electronic medium
                      is of the fallen light and sound ethers, well, that's a lot of
                      filtering out.

                      What does come across very well is the ego and astral bodies; what is
                      filtered out the most is the physical body and to a large extent the
                      etheric. But, relatively speaking, I have noticed that over time,
                      when we get to know each other through repeated conversations, our
                      etheric bodies, which carry memory and habit, become strengthened.

                      The result is that we tune into each other more on an etheric level
                      than on a physical one. So you know what that means. It means that we
                      physical guys exhibit on this list our female etheric side, while the
                      physical ladies on this list, exhibit their more masculine etheric
                      characteristics.

                      I mean, look at the discussions that go on here. By and large, the
                      issues that excite the guys, are all expressed in a very measured
                      criss-crossing back and forth cyber-motion that always reminds me of
                      a bunch of old ladies sitting around together gossiping at a church
                      quilting bee. Notice how carefully the guys weave the patches and
                      guide the patchwork of etheric quilt of whatever subject is being
                      discussed. This is especially apparent when the critics get involved.

                      On the other side, when the ladies, those etheric hunks of macho men,
                      swagger in with their formidable astral cockleberries showing through
                      their etheric codpieces, all they have to do is say one word, and
                      they cut through all the quilting bullshit and send the giddy old
                      ladies into a near hysterical tizzy.

                      Finally, to get back to Buffalo Bob Sardello's idea of dildonics, my
                      other picture of this A_T group is that of a cyber bordello, where
                      Tarjei is the owner and Frank is the Madam. We physical guys are the
                      etheric "girls of the evening" as it were, and the physical ladies
                      are the etheric male clients, or "Johns" (Johannesses?) Most of the
                      entertainment consists of us etheric girlie-men doing striptease on
                      center stage. I myself am of the conservative old school, using the
                      fans like Sally Rand used to do. And occasionally I do swing around
                      that new-fangled pole.

                      Now this latter metaphor is for Joel's benefit. Joel, I must tell
                      you, you do have a nice pair of etheric hooters; you even have a
                      nicely shaped etheric ass, and you have done so much admirable work
                      in PoF and epistemology that the average John, or, Johannes, would
                      select you over so many others in the "stable." I mean, you really
                      know how to swing around that pole and get those dollar bills stuffed
                      into your Native American motif G-strings, etc., but… but… you are
                      violating a certain decorum of the bordello and I do believe you will
                      improve your attitude once I tell you about this. So consider this an
                      intervention of sorts, a kind of Texas 2-step around the pole.

                      Joel, if you would just come up on stage and do your striptease
                      routine like every other girlie-man here, everything would be fine.
                      But instead, you have the chutzpah, I guess it's some kind of
                      entitlement issue, where you come on stage and you take the bloody
                      dildo-lance of Amfortas and start immediately thrusting it into your
                      lower etheric sheath, and as if that weren't gross enough public
                      behavior, you actually feel entitled to payment from the customers,
                      for forcing them to watch your your vaunted spiritual experience of
                      the last third of a century.

                      Why even, Martha, with her New Mexican 10 gallon hat jauntily cocked,
                      as it were, told you in direct terms to stop with your autobiography
                      already. Listen to her, already! (Doesn't Martha remind you a lot of
                      Gary Cooper in High Noon? "Do not forsake me oh, my darling!...)

                      In other words, Joel, do come on stage and give us a nice striptease
                      about your experience, but please don't use your experience as a
                      dildo to pleasure yourself and expect not to be thrown out of the
                      bordello.

                      OK, Mike, I'll end here. This should be more than enough to spark
                      discussion around the pole,or is it more patches for the quilting
                      bee? (As it were. )

                      Thomasina in the etheric
                    • ishtarmustdie
                      Message 10 of 19 , Apr 2, 2006
                        "The great achievement of the 4th Way system, given from the outset
                        by Ouspensky, who said the system was important because it wasn't
                        his, consists of the integrality of the Law of Three with the Law of
                        Seven. It is imperative to give note to this important interaction;
                        that we must take account of the working of the Law of Three, which
                        has been born out of the Law of Seven. In actuality, Aristotle
                        discovered the working presence of the Law of Three over 2300 years
                        ago. He discovered that nature bears three reflective spheres of
                        activity; the mineral, plant, and animal kingdoms. As such, they
                        reflect and coincide exactly with the Higher Worlds, known as Upper
                        Devachan, Lower Devachan, and the Astral Plane. Based on this
                        discovery, Aristotle, after spending 20 years in Plato's Academy,
                        and then instructing the young Alexander the Great for eight years,
                        started a school designed to address the facts and significance of
                        the Law of Three seen existing in nature. The first step taken in
                        this school, The Peripatetic, was to gain a disciplined hold on the
                        fundamentals of deductive reasoning, the first form of reasoning to
                        be developed by the great initiates of Greek philosophy. Thus, the
                        first expression of the Law of Three took the form of what is known
                        as the 'Logical Syllogism', comprised of: Major Premise, Minor
                        Premise, Conclusion. After this disciplined thinking was
                        sufficiently developed the student graduated into the inner circle;
                        the secondary school where the Laws and Beings of Nature were
                        taught. And their correspondence to the Higher Worlds.
                        Ouspensky gives extraordinary emphasis to the importance of the
                        Law of Three throughout the 4th Way discourse. And when he begins to
                        refer to the formation and importance of the Lateral Octave of La-
                        Sol-Fa, and its relationship to the sensitive film that surrounds
                        the earth, i.e., organic life on earth, then we have a very great
                        advancement from the work of Aristotle. Why? Because Aristotle could
                        never have discovered this himself. The Fourth Way describes this
                        most significant fact; the fact of the path of the descending
                        octave, and the La-Sol-Fa extraction."
                        ---From "Quaternium Organum" by Stephen Hale

                        I have a diagram somewhere that reflects the idea of a divine
                        symbolic trinity wherein the circle, the triangle, and the square
                        are perfectly intact. And this constitutes the original plan of
                        earth evolution; the one described in Steiner's "Outline of Occult
                        Science" involving the careful weaving and looming activities of the
                        Hierarchies in the three spheres of Cosmic Embryology [Saturn-Sun-
                        Moon]. But this was all changed, and the original physical,
                        etheric, and astral body prototypes were made coarser and denser
                        than originally intended in order for the Ego, the fourth member of
                        man's being, to be developed on earth from the beginning, and not
                        the end, as the basis of human freedom.

                        So, the secret to the Enneagram is that it is a reflection of
                        repeated earth lives in the form of the deconstruction of the square
                        in the middle, surrounded by an intact triangle (Soul), and further
                        surrounded by an intact circle (Spirit). Thus, the Enneagram bears
                        the knowledge of the revised plan of earth evolution involving
                        repeated earth lives due to the densifying and complexifying nature
                        of the human being that must now evolve in a physical world whose
                        source comes from the Moon. The mineral kingdom passed over from
                        the Moon to the Earth 50,000 years ago, and this is when the concept
                        of repeated earth lives also commenced.

                        The Moon, in turn, now bears the original diaphenous etheric
                        constitution that still echoes in the Garden of Eden story. But on
                        the Moon, this fine etheric substance becomes of the nature of its
                        total opposite, and so the moon is now a super-hardened
                        counterweight to the earth, while the earth bears the wisdom of the
                        three nature kingdoms, with the mineral kingdom coming forth through
                        Jehova's work on the Moon. Man can only be free by evolving in a
                        mineralized world where his destiny cannot be found and cannot be
                        influential. And only through thinking does mankind knock at the
                        door of his true destiny; the destiny of complete and individualized
                        freedom in eternity.

                        Steve

                        Message 11 of 19 , Apr 3, 2006
                          --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, "ishtarmustdie"
                          <sardisian01@...> wrote:

                          >The only sexism I know of is Steiner's continual reference to the work
                          >of men in the endeavors of his very positive spiritual philosophy. I
                          >believe it has to do with the necessary continuance of the male
                          >principle in the transition from the intellectual to the consciousness
                          >soul age.

                          LOL!! Priceless.
                          It would be hard for us to discuss sexism, I guess, since you
                          apparently don't know what it is!
                          Diana
                        • Mike helsher
                          Message 12 of 19 , Apr 3, 2006
                            <TomBuoyed@...> wrote:

                            > Mike Helser wrote:
                            >
                            > > If RS was right, and sex and Love are indeed mutually exclusive,
                            > then
                            > > maybe that's why he left us a corps to feed on. My X Buddhist
                            > buddies
                            > > were always be meditating of death and rotting corpses to quell
                            > their
                            > > sexual desires. Perhaps if we weren't all buzzing and crawling
                            > around
                            > > this corps, we'd all be out sport-fucking like crazey..:-O
                            > >
                            > > fascinating!
                            > ------------------------------
                            >
                            > Yo Mike!
                            >
                            > Thanks for appreciating my metaphors. I always loved the upgrade
                            that
                            > Marshall McLuhan gave to the statement made 2 centuries ago by the
                            > great Limey poet Robert Browning:
                            >
                            > "Man's reach must exceed his grasp, or else, what's a heaven for?"
                            >
                            > Mercurial oracle Marshy Mac Luhan changed that to:
                            >
                            > "Man's reach must exceed his grasp, or else what's a metaphor?"
                            >
                            > Nyuk! Nyuk! Nyuk!
                            >
                            > Anyway, I must first give you a short lesson in speaking the
                            dialect
                            > of Classical Anthroposophese. You expressed yourself in the rather
                            > coarse vernacular, using the term "sport-fucking."
                            >
                            > The f-word in Classical Anthroposophese is not 4 letters, but 8, to
                            > wit: "fructify." So, in future anthro-social gatherings, be they 3-
                            > fold or not, or whether here online or in an actual study group,
                            you
                            > might try impressing your comrades by saying: "sport-
                            fructification"
                            > or "sport-fructifying" or even the most formal expression of
                            > all: "undergoing a process, as it were, of sport-fructification."

                            Hey Tom, thanks for yur indepth reply, i've been meaning to get back
                            to this but I've had to do the mister Mom thing this weekend, as my
                            wonderful wifey is away visiting. so in a way i'm strapping on my
                            own "big hooters". Still don't have much time, but I didn't wanna let
                            it drift away.

                            Ok, so it should also be the "Enkidu fructificationathon"...:)

                            (interesting about the Gilgamesh story to me, is the rather involuted
                            idea of sexuality, as represented by the high priestess (Enkidu"s
                            lover)as compared to the standards of today)

                            > I am fascinated, in a very Spock-like way (and I could be subtly
                            > referring here to Benjy's sister Marjorie), with your correlation
                            > between meditating on corpses and quelling those rather insistent
                            > desires of a fructifactory nature. I assume you may be referring to
                            > the Hindu vow of "brahmacharya," which is not just sexual celibacy,
                            > but refraining from eating meat and other coarse sensual stuff. But
                            > all that seems to be such a "guy thing" and also pretty atavistic.

                            Well we we're vegetarians also. there were also seperate community
                            houses for men and women. I think now that it was all about some kind
                            of redemption, Metabavna (as is the main theme of buddhism). twas a
                            good stepping stone for me to help rethink my catholic/bevis and
                            butthead upbringing.

                            Gheesh, the "guy thing" reminds me of a phase I went through with the
                            Robert Bly "Iron John" story...Which brings me to think of a song I
                            heard once on the doctor demento show about sailors at sea (sung in a
                            round similar to row row row yur boat) "men men men men...men men men
                            men...so throw your rubbers overboard there's nobody here but ....men
                            men men men...."

> [...]
                            > er, "final cut," as it were, then much may be clarified in the
                            > seer's (or is it sneer's?") inner spiritual perception of the
                            inter-
                            > twining astral-etheric-physical mysteries of the male and female. I
                            > blush as I report this, but I must say, in all candor, that my
                            > Goetheanistic observations --- seeing in thinking and thinking in
                            > seeing --- of pre-op trannies, (known more colorfully as "chicks
                            with
                            > dicks") were simultaneously the most titillating and penetrating
                            > clairsentient experiences of the entire course of my post-pubescent
                            > life!)
                            >
                            > Anyway, this whole Transamerica phenomenon, so mainstream out here
                            in
                            > the City of Angels, has inspired me to ask the most profound
                            > questions of spiritual science I have come up with to date:

                            Good question...:) I might matter more(if it matters at all) when
                            some science geek invents machine to measure thought....:-O

                            All of the above is quite interesting. long time ago I sponsored a
                            kid that was gay and he told me that his dad had sex with his
                            brother, and then his brother slept in the same room as him and they
                            developed a sexual relationship. I thought I was supposed to help him
                            with his drug addiction till he asked me..."do you think I'm gay?" I
                            gave him the best answer that I could at the time..."i don't know."

                            As to RS..."did he, or did he not, that is the question".

                            The whole world came slamming down on me one day, when i realized the
                            immense and intrinsic responsibility that RS was pointing to with the
                            idea of intuiting moral imagination...I hit my knees and tears hit
                            the side walk and I found my self very much in tune with a scene in
                            the Wayne's world movie where Wayne and Garth are bowing to Alice
                            copper whining "were not worthy."

                            I've just opened up a pinhole to the view of mount Olympus, and in
                            that light the idea of sex seems kinda stupid. So I would guess that
                            if RS was indeed viewing in 3d surround sound, that he may indeed
                            have been celibate.

                            But what about this Idea of Eros??

                            gotta go back to work

                            Mike
                          • Mike helsher
                            Message 13 of 19 , Apr 3, 2006

                              > Now this latter metaphor is for Joel's benefit. Joel, I must tell
                              > you, you do have a nice pair of etheric hooters; you even have a
                              > nicely shaped etheric ass, and you have done so much admirable work
                              > in PoF and epistemology that the average John, or, Johannes, would
                              > select you over so many others in the "stable." I mean, you really
                              > know how to swing around that pole and get those dollar bills
                              stuffed
                              > into your Native American motif G-strings, etc....

                              i like joels hooters too. he and I have walked a similar path and
                              though in the physical I my need to catch up with honing some skills,
                              (writing and typing and spelling and a boat load of reading)I do
                              believe that I catch his drift on occasion. we often sail on the same
                              breeze. but sometimes Joel loads his cannons and turns into the wind
                              and lobs out a few broadsides on the ships he sees sailing in a
                              diffrent direction. I've always loves the old pirate ship movies
                              and "master and commander" was a huge thrill. But I usually just
                              watch these big gunned jousts form my own little "seemingly seaworthy
                              ship of doubt...." But I was at one time inspired in part by joel to
                              write the following little ditty:

                              The Sea of Love

                              My seemingly seaworthy ship of doubt
                              Is but a speck of angst, churning in a sea of Love
                              That can only be navigated by the innocence
                              That is liken onto a child

                              My compass broken, I sail by the stars of the night
                              For I was told that the sun is but a burning ball of gas

                              I learn to live within the angst
                              Encased in a dream that seems so real
                              And all that I grasp in this dream turns to stone
                              I save them in the belly of my ship of doubt
                              Until one day it finally sinks

                              And there I am...alone
                              My speck of angst turns into a black hole into which I fall
                              And all that I thought that I was
                              Weighs upon me
                              Like the falling of the night sky onto the earth

                              I struggle and try to think like a snake
                              I slither in the manmade crevasse
                              Of the world of the machine.
                              Squeezed like a sardine
                              And prodded by the pecking of hens
                              Until all that remains
                              Is the Horror

                              It was then that a Whole Universe
                              Contained In a tiny drop
                              Of all that was left of the Sea of Love
                              Came forth...

                              From the corner of my eye

                              Thanks Joel

                              Mike
                            • ishtarmustdie
                              Message 14 of 19 , Apr 4, 2006
                                <diana.winters@...> wrote:

                                > --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, "ishtarmustdie"
                                > <sardisian01@> wrote:
                                >
                                > >The only sexism I know of is Steiner's continual reference to the
                                work
                                > >of men in the endeavors of his very positive spiritual
                                philosophy. I
                                > >believe it has to do with the necessary continuance of the male
                                > >principle in the transition from the intellectual to the
                                consciousness
                                > >soul age.
                                >

                                > LOL!! Priceless.
                                > It would be hard for us to discuss sexism, I guess, since you
                                > apparently don't know what it is!
                                > Diana

                                The point simple that I wanted to make is that the male principle
                                runs throught the fourth cultural epoch and on into the fifth, while
                                the female principle runs throughout the third cultural epoch and on
                                into the fourth, where we see all the goddess worshipping as
                                evidence of the great acheivement of sentiency. The intellect of
                                man rests on the foundation of this sentiency, just as man's
                                consciousness rests on the foundation of his/her intellect.

                                Now, herein the "greater" consciousness soul age which commenced at
                                the turn of the 20th century, we have a measure of cosmic
                                intelligence made available for the uptake. And philosophy, which
                                by some accounts died in 1950, is actually redeemed through
                                anthroposophical spiritual science. And by redeemed I mean that
                                higher forms of reasoning are contained within this body of
                                knowledge as working principles. And it most probably takes the
                                further effort of the male principle in recognizing and championing
                                this important fact for the future of spiritual science as a
                                furtherance of the fourth cultural epoch, as well as a higher
                                resolution of the third cultural epoch in its own right.

                                Steve

                              • ishtarmustdie
                                Message 15 of 19 , Apr 5, 2006
                                  Tom, I have been meaning to get back to you about these comments
                                  below:

                                  "As for Gurdjieff, I wonder if you could shed some light on
                                  some "anthropoop" I overheard in AP circles, about G in relation to
                                  Steiner." I heard that one time Gurdjieff paid a visit to the
                                  Goetheanum, but when Steiner heard about it, he became livid, and
                                  actually had to be physically restrained from attacking G. The
                                  reason apparently was that RS did not want all the evil, nasty,
                                  egregore-type entities in G's "astral body entourage" to contaminate
                                  the pristine etheric spiritual atmosphere of the Goetheanum."

                                  Yes, I heard this too, and I do believe that David Eyes spoke about
                                  it in his short essay, "Gurdjieff and Steiner". I had an
                                  interesting discussion with David Eyes a few years ago about Steiner
                                  and Gurdjieff. In the Gospel of Matthew lectures, given in
                                  September of 1910, Steiner gives a certain attention to a form of
                                  clairvoyance beheld by the gypsies; he called it the clairvoyance of
                                  the turanians. Gurdjieff was such a one as these. Thus, he had a
                                  kind of crystal-ball form of clairvoyance, which was actually the
                                  ability to see the human aura. And this made him particularly able
                                  to see the human moral condition. He had the knack of seeing the
                                  flaws and weaknesses of those he was in touch with, and this made
                                  him very capable of creating programs for human development along
                                  the lines of what people needed in order to counter the defects that
                                  he saw in their characters. It became known as "chief feature",
                                  which requires one to go against the grain of their strong suit, and
                                  purposely cultivate their opposite, or what is most weak in one's
                                  nature. And he was a genius for doing such a thing.

                                  The reason is that this method constitutes a recapitulation of the
                                  old forms of initiation science wherein the corollary was enforced
                                  in order to keep arrogance and pride in check. Emphasizing chief
                                  feature had this in mind; and it worked to an extraordinarily
                                  effective degree. Whether Gurdjieff ever actually knocked at the
                                  door of the Goetheanum is unknown to me. But, considering that very
                                  fine etheric forms and beings, including Theodor Feiss were
                                  contained therein, and that Gurdjieff had this form of what could be
                                  called "cheap clairvoyance", it is quite possible that his
                                  admittance would be considered an offense to the environment; being
                                  of the astral body kind, he would only have beheld something that
                                  would have given him the pause of a new vantage point. And that
                                  point concerns the astral-etheric connection needed for modern
                                  initiaiton science to be fully successful. This fact is knowable.

                                  Steve
                                • holderlin66
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Apr 5, 2006
                                    Steve wrote:

                                    " But, considering that very
                                    fine etheric forms and beings, including Theodor Feiss were
                                    contained therein, and that Gurdjieff had this form of what could be
                                    called "cheap clairvoyance", it is quite possible that his
                                    admittance would be considered an offense to the environment; being
                                    of the astral body kind, he would only have beheld something that
                                    would have given him the pause of a new vantage point. "

                                    Bradford comments;

                                    What a refreshing breath of fresh air. Christ walking on water,
                                    etheric or otherwise, what lame ass research about the frozen seas,
                                    it was brought up on this list or another long ago and frozen water
                                    was postulated by some dim wit, I forget who. Now comes this, Steve
                                    called it dead on, just cheap crappy science to fill in the deadness
                                    of those who don't understand why they are numb. I keep experiencing
                                    the shock of the numbness for those who actually feel a hollow that
                                    something else should be there, something vast and penetrating,
                                    Grail Science, pulsing in culture and full of life. And I can
                                    experience the numbness the painful, 'whatever' numbness that it
                                    isn't there and it can't be found and they don't have a clue how to
                                    navigate their thoughts towards it. Grants and money to say any kind
                                    of human nonsense because Spiritual Science aka Miracle isn't really
                                    possible. Humans are so deeply in the hole that looking down is like
                                    looking up.

                                    Steve your description of Gurdjieff's drives, force, will and
                                    general condensed mithraric selfishness, condensed will and his
                                    dominating personality, is like having a sociopath with a heightened
                                    Ahrimanic shadow, so dense that it reverberates as an undertow in
                                    everyone around him...This sort of astrality, but with some etheric
                                    super driving patterning, his ability to dominate and force the soul
                                    into a kind of pre-Christ initiation pattern, was rich to
                                    contemplate.

                                    I have looked forward to what you were going to bring on Kaspar
                                    Hauser...all I can savor is where your current soberness and clarity
                                    arises from. You do have your dips, but these several ringing posts
                                    were like fresh air, thanks.
                                  • isenhart7
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Apr 6, 2006
                                      --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com,
                                      "ishtarmustdie" <sardisian01@...> wrote:

                                      The Fourth Way describes this
                                      > most significant fact; the fact of the path of the descending
                                      > octave, and the La-Sol-Fa extraction."
                                      > ---From "Quaternium Organum" by Stephen Hale

                                      Dear Stephen,

                                      Can you say a little more about the descending octave. What's it
                                      comprised of, how it's formed? Are you saying descending in
                                      that one corresponds to spirit, another soul, and another the
                                      physical? Since these are tones is there a corresponding
                                      gesture as well?-Val
                                    • isenhart7
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Apr 6, 2006
                                        "holderlin66" <holderlin66@...> wrote:

                                        > What a refreshing breath of fresh air. Christ walking on water,
                                        > etheric or otherwise, what lame ass research about the frozen
                                        seas,
                                        > it was brought up on this list or another long ago and frozen
                                        water
                                        > was postulated by some dim wit, I forget who. Now comes this,
                                        Steve
                                        > called it dead on, just cheap crappy science to fill in the
                                        deadness
                                        > of those who don't understand why they are numb. I keep
                                        experiencing
                                        > the shock of the numbness for those who actually feel a hollow
                                        that
                                        > something else should be there, something vast and
                                        penetrating,
                                        > Grail Science, pulsing in culture and full of life. And I can
                                        > experience the numbness the painful, 'whatever' numbness
                                        that it
                                        > isn't there and it can't be found and they don't have a clue how
                                        > navigate their thoughts towards it. Grants and money to say
                                        any kind
                                        > of human nonsense because Spiritual Science aka Miracle
                                        isn't really
                                        > possible. Humans are so deeply in the hole that looking down
                                        is like
                                        > looking up.

                                        Look's like they caught a big fish-or to quote the professor-a Holy
                                        Cow!-Val

                                        http:www.nytimes.com/2006/04/05/science/05cnd-fossil.html?ex
                                        =1301889600&en=43e5c9ecb1dd0cd6&ei=5090&partner=rssu
                                        serland&emc=rss

                                        By JOHN NOBLE WILFORD
                                        Published: April 5, 2006

                                        Scientists have discovered fossils of a 375 million-year-old fish,
                                        a large scaly creature not seen before, that they say is a
                                        long-sought "missing link" in the evolution of some fishes from
                                        water to a life walking on four limbs on land.

                                        University of Chicago
                                        A model of the 375 million-year-old fish, which exhibits changes
                                        that anticipate the emergence of land animals.

                                        In addition to confirming elements of a major transition in
                                        evolution, the fossils are widely seen by scientists as a powerful
                                        rebuttal to religious creationists, who hold a literal biblical view
                                        on the origins and development of life.

                                        Several well-preserved skeletons of the fossil fish were
                                        uncovered in sediments of former stream beds in the Canadian
                                        Arctic, 600 miles from the North Pole, it is being reported on
                                        Thursday in the journal Nature. The skeletons have the fins and
                                        scales and other attributes of a giant fish, four to nine feet long.

                                        But on closer examination, scientists found telling anatomical
                                        traits of a transitional creature, a fish that is still a fish but
                                        exhibiting changes that anticipate the emergence of land
                                        animals — a predecessor thus of amphibians, reptiles and
                                        dinosaurs, mammals and eventually humans.

                                        The scientists described evidence in the forward fins of limbs in
                                        the making. There are the beginnings of digits, proto-wrists,
                                        elbows and shoulders. The fish also had a flat skull resembling
                                        a crocodile's, a neck, ribs and other parts that were similar to
                                        four-legged land animals known as tetrapods.

                                        The discovering scientists called the fossils the most
                                        compelling examples yet of an animal that was at the cusp of the
                                        fish-tetrapod transition. The fish has been named Tiktaalik
                                        roseae, at the suggestion of elders of Canada's Nunavut
                                        Territory. Tiktaalik (pronounced tic-TAH-lick) means "large
                                        shallow water fish."

                                        In two reports in Thursday's issue of the journal Nature, the
                                        science team led by Neil H. Shubin of the University of Chicago
                                        wrote, "The origin of limbs probably involved the elaboration and
                                        proliferation of features already present in the fins of fish such as
                                        Tiktaalik."

                                        Dr. Shubin, an evolutionary biologist, let himself go in an
                                        interview. "It's a really amazing remarkable intermediate fossil —
                                        it's like, holy cow," he enthused.

                                        Two other paleontologists, commenting on the find in a separate
                                        article in the journal, said that a few other transitional fish had
                                        been previously discovered from approximately the same Late
                                        Devonian time period, 385 million to 359 million years ago. But
                                        Tiktaalik is so clearly an intermediate "link between fishes and
                                        land vertebrates," they said, that it "might in time become as
                                        much an evolutionary icon as the proto-bird Archaeopteryx,"
                                        which bridged the gap between reptiles, probably dinosaurs,
                                        and today's birds.

                                        The writers, Erik Ahlberg of Uppsala University in Sweden and
                                        Jennifer A. Clack of the University of Cambridge in England, are
                                        often viewed as rivals to Dr. Shubin's team in the search for
                                        intermediate species in the evolution from fish to the first
                                        animals to colonize land.

                                        In a statement by the Science Museum of London, where casts
                                        of the fossils will be on view, Dr. Clack said the fish "confirms
                                        everything we thought and also tells us about the order in which
                                        certain changes were made."

                                        H. Richard Lane, director of paleobiology at the National Science
                                        Foundation, said in a statement, "These exciting discoveries are
                                        providing fossil 'Rosetta Stones' for a deeper understanding of
                                        this evolutionary milestone — fish to land-roaming tetrapods."

                                        The science foundation and the National Geographic Society
                                        were among the financial supporters of the research. Besides
                                        Dr. Shubin, the principal discoverers were Edward B. Daeschler
                                        of the Academy of Natural Sciences in Philadelphia and Farish A.
                                        Jenkins Jr., a Harvard evolutionary biologist.

                                        Michael J. Novacek, a paleontologist at the American Museum of
                                        Natural History in Manhattan, who was not involved in the
                                        research, said: "Based on what we already know, we have a very
                                        strong reason to think tetrapods evolved from lineages of fishes.
                                        This may be a critical phase in that transition that we haven't had
                                        before. A good fossil cuts through a lot of scientific argument."

                                        While Dr. Shubin's team played down the fossil's significance in
                                        the raging debate over Darwinian theory, which is opposed
                                        mainly by some conservative Christians in the United States,
                                        other scientists were not so reticent. They said this should
                                        undercut the creationists' argument that there is no evidence in
                                        the fossil record of one kind of creature becoming another kind.

                                        One creationist Web site (emporium.turnpike.net/C/cs/evid1.htm)
                                        declares that "there are no transitional forms," adding: "For
                                        example, not a single fossil with part fins part feet has been
                                        found. And this is true between every major plant and animal
                                        kind."
                                      • ishtarmustdie
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Apr 6, 2006
                                          --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, "isenhart7"
                                          <isenhart7@...> wrote:

                                          > --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com,
                                          > "ishtarmustdie" <sardisian01@> wrote:
                                          > >

                                          > The Fourth Way describes this
                                          > > most significant fact; the fact of the path of the descending
                                          > > octave, and the La-Sol-Fa extraction."
                                          > > ---From "Quaternium Organum" by Stephen Hale
                                          >
                                          > Dear Stephen,
                                          >
                                          > Can you say a little more about the descending octave. What's it
                                          > comprised of, how it's formed? Are you saying descending in
                                          > that one corresponds to spirit, another soul, and another the
                                          > physical? Since these are tones is there a corresponding
                                          > gesture as well?-Val

                                          "The cosmology of the Fourth Way, as developed by Gurdjieff and
                                          Ouspensky, is rather elegantly described as the 'Ray of Creation'.
                                          As such, it subscribes almost exclusively to the law of numbers,
                                          i.e, 1, 3, 6, 12, 24, 48, 96, and so on. A parallel of this number
                                          scheme exists by comparing it to the work of the philosopher,
                                          Proclus, who developed a system called, "emanationism", based
                                          entirely on the influence of light as it descends into the earthly
                                          realm. Proclus lived around 500 AD. Thus, the Macrocosm is
                                          comprised of Sun and Moon, the Planets, and the Starry World of the
                                          Heavens. And these are all in us in the form of a Microcosm. We
                                          embody the great Universe in its entirety. The problem is that we
                                          don't know it; we have forgotten this fact. In Proclus' time it was
                                          still remembered. Thus, according to 4th Way logic, The Sun and the
                                          Moon represent the (Do) note of the descending octave; and (Si)
                                          represents the Planets. This Do-Si connection, and its results, lead
                                          to a lateral octave that forms relative to the notes La-Sol-Fa, and
                                          comprises organic life on earth. La-Sol-Fa represents a trinity of
                                          Spiritual Beings dedicated to earth evolution, and out of which, the
                                          active, passive, and neutral forces of the so-called material atom
                                          are formed. Lucifer is the spiritual being behind the active force;
                                          Ahriman is the spiritual being behind the passive force; and the
                                          Christ is the spiritual being behind the neutral force. Active force
                                          becomes the 1st force; passive force, the 2nd force; and neutral
                                          force, the 3rd force. Now the system that comprises the Fourth Way
                                          makes very specific reference to the fact that these forces, 1-2-3,
                                          active, passive, and neutral, must become 1-3-2 in order for an
                                          active manifestation of material phenomena to occur. In other words,
                                          organic life on earth demands that a change of position take place
                                          between the passive and neutral forces. Thus, the Christ and Ahriman
                                          change places. And this change of places occurred two thousand years
                                          ago. As a result, Ahriman takes the functional role of the "Being of
                                          Heat Force" within the inner domain of the earth, while the Christ
                                          gives the 'spark' of the neutral force over the course of three
                                          years, and then ascends into the etheric realm of the earth in order
                                          to fortify the moral element of the earth that has been realized
                                          since 1933."
                                          --From Quaternium Organum by S. G. Hale