Christ-centred

  • kmlightseeker
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 29, 2006
      Interesting:

      " 15:12 "This is my commandment, that you love one another, even as I
      have loved you. 15:13 Greater love has no one than this, that someone
      lay down his life for his friends. 15:14 You are my friends, if you do
      whatever I command you. 15:15 No longer do I call you servants, for
      the servant doesn't know what his lord does. But I have called you
      friends, for everything that I heard from my Father, I have made known
      to you. 15:16 You didn't choose me, but I chose you, and appointed
      you, that you should go and bear fruit, and that your fruit should
      remain; that whatever you will ask of the Father in my name, he may
      give it to you.

      15:17 "I command these things to you, that you may love one another.
      15:18 If the world hates you, you know that it has hated me before it
      hated you. 15:19 If you were of the world, the world would love its
      own. But because you are not of the world, since I chose you out of
      the world, therefore the world hates you. 15:20 Remember the word that
      I said to you: 'A servant is not greater than his lord.'* If they
      persecuted me, they will also persecute you. If they kept my word,
      they will keep yours also. 15:21 But all these things will they do to
      you for my name's sake, because they don't know him who sent me. 15:22
      If I had not come and spoken to them, they would not have had sin; but
      now they have no excuse for their sin. 15:23 He who hates me, hates my
      Father also. 15:24 If I hadn't done among them the works which no one
      else did, they wouldn't have had sin. But now have they seen and also
      hated both me and my Father. 15:25 But this happened so that the word
      may be fulfilled which was written in their law, 'They hated me
      without a cause.'*"

      [Source: The World English Bible (WEB), Book of John,
      http://www.gutenberg.org/dirs/etext05/web4310h.htm%5d

      "23:25 "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you clean
      the outside of the cup and of the platter, but within they are full of
      extortion and unrighteousness. 23:26 You blind Pharisee, first clean
      the inside of the cup and of the platter, that its outside may become
      clean also."

      "23:27 "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you are
      like whitened tombs, which outwardly appear beautiful, but inwardly
      are full of dead men's bones, and of all uncleanness. 23:28 Even so
      you also outwardly appear righteous to men, but inwardly you are full
      of hypocrisy and iniquity."

      "24:1 Jesus went out from the temple, and was going on his way. His
      disciples came to him to show him the buildings of the temple. 24:2
      But he answered them, "Don't you see all of these things? Most
      certainly I tell you, there will not be left here one stone on
      another, that will not be thrown down."

      24:3 As he sat on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to him
      privately, saying, "Tell us, when will these things be? What is the
      sign of your coming, and of the end of the age?"

      24:4 Jesus answered them, "Be careful that no one leads you astray.
      24:5 For many will come in my name, saying, 'I am the Christ,' and
      will lead many astray. 24:6 You will hear of wars and rumors of wars.
      See that you aren't troubled, for all this must happen, but the end is
      not yet. 24:7 For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against
      kingdom; and there will be famines, plagues, and earthquakes in
      various places. 24:8 But all these things are the beginning of birth
      pains. 24:9 Then they will deliver you up to oppression, and will kill
      you. You will be hated by all of the nations for my name's sake. 24:10
      Then many will stumble, and will deliver up one another, and will hate
      one another. 24:11 Many false prophets will arise, and will lead many
      astray. 24:12 Because iniquity will be multiplied, the love of many
      will grow cold. 24:13 But he who endures to the end, the same will be
      saved. 24:14 This Good News of the Kingdom will be preached in the
      whole world for a testimony to all the nations, and then the end will
      come."

      [The World English Bible (WEB), Book of Matthew,
      http://www.gutenberg.org/dirs/etext05/web4010h.htm%5d

      Regards,

      Keith
    • isenhart7
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 29, 2006
        --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com,
        "kmlightseeker" <kmlightseeker@...> wrote:

        > Interesting:
        >
        > " 15:12 "This is my commandment, that you love one another,
        even as I
        > have loved you. 15:13 Greater love has no one than this, that
        someone
        > lay down his life for his friends. 15:14 You are my friends, if you
        do
        > whatever I command you. 15:15 No longer do I call you
        servants, for
        > the servant doesn't know what his lord does. But I have called
        you
        > friends, for everything that I heard from my Father, I have made
        known
        > to you....

        Oh, and it's a hollow feeling when it comes down to dealing
        friends, it never ends. From Tequila Sunrise, Eagles-Val
      • isenhart7
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 29, 2006
          > --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com,
          > "kmlightseeker" <kmlightseeker@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Interesting:
          > >
          > > " 15:12 "This is my commandment, that you love one another,
          > even as I
          > > have loved you. 15:13 Greater love has no one than this, that
          > someone
          > > lay down his life for his friends. 15:14 You are my friends, if
          you
          > do
          > > whatever I command you. 15:15 No longer do I call you
          > servants, for
          > > the servant doesn't know what his lord does. But I have
          called
          > you
          > > friends, for everything that I heard from my Father, I have
          made
          > known
          > > to you....

          Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against one of your
          people, but love your neighbor as yourself. I am the LORD. (NIV,
          Leviticus 19:18)

          The second is this, 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.'
          There is no other commandment greater than these. (NRSV,
          Mark 12:31)

          So what do people think this means, to love your neighbor as
          yourself? I think it means, as a practical matter, to cut them
          some slack. I know most of my own biography by heart and so I
          understand some of the reasons for my own dysfunction. And of
          course, of course, I've rationalized my own dysfinction along the
          way or I wouldn't have been able to live with myself. Been there,
          done that.

          And I think this is why biographical work, whether for an
          individual or an organization can be so healing . There's the old
          saying attributed to the Native Americans, I expect Steven Clarke
          knows its origins better than I, that says we can't know how
          another feels until we've walked a mile in his moccasins.

          Also, if you think about it, if we practiced this really-we walked in
          another person's shoes for a mile then we'd be a mile away from
          them when we finally replied. Oh, sorry it's Mrs. Math Person
          coming out in me again. Here's a more imaginative picture of the
          saying perhaps:

          "Until you walk a mile in another man's moccasins, you can't
          imagine the smell." Robert Byrne
        • engemi
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 30, 2006
            Hi Keith

            I really love it that you sent these quotations. In the beginning, when I
            first read KoHW, i was struck by a seemingly biblical sence. i hated that,
            because it was in my Sturm und Drang yrs, when I refused to take any more
            preaching - from ánybody. But i was told by the guy who gave me the book,
            and whom I attacked endlessly for "his - i felt wrongly so - belief" in
            either Steiner and/or Anthroposophy, he will not be prepared to speak to me
            on or listen to me speaking about Anthrop. unless I have read the book at
            least once and did every excercise mentioned in it at least for three weeks
            in continuation. I thought to hell, but then, i was young, in full capacity
            of my philosophical gemuet, and thought i could win him the same as i won
            everyone else who argued (or tried to) with me, so i read away.

            About six months later the man (a teacher, who incidently knew Steiner
            personally) asked me when are we going to have another discussion on RS or
            A. I said, let me finnish the book. Ah, he said, is it taking you so long? I
            felt some shame, because to be honest I have at that time become so
            intterested in it that i started making notes. I said, i have to be
            thorough, I'm making notes, and what's more I discovered he is just another
            mixed-up weirdo disciple of Christ. How come asked my friend. Because, I
            said. he took all of the Sermon on the mount and all of the Bhudda's
            eightfold path and some of the Baghavad Gita and what not else and dishes it
            up as a stew for soulgrowth, but he leaves out the human being, just speak
            bout the pupil, and for one no critique of development. I don't think it is
            right. Oh, said my friend, and laughed, refusing to comment further.

            Ten months later, he asked me how far i was with KoHW. I had to be honest. I
            said, I'm stuck. Where? he asked. With Enlightenment, I said (you will know
            it is part of the stages of innitiation) Where RS speaks about the pupil's
            need to enhance his moral strength. I quote: "throughout his training,
            indeed, he must continually enhance his moral strength, his inner purity,
            and his powers of observation. To take one example only:during the
            elementary exercises for enlightenment the pupil must take care to ensure
            that his compassion for the human and animal worlds and his response to the
            beauty of nature are constantly increasing. Failing this care, the exercises
            would continually blunt his feelings and sensitivity; his heart would become
            hardened and the senses blunted. And that would eventually lead to dangerous
            results."

            So my friend said: But how or why does it bother you? You are not a pupil? I
            said, I know, but that when hé told me to do the exercises, I took it very
            seriously and did so. And now I was scared, in case what RS said was true -
            remember, I explained, I am still there where everything is 50/50 true or
            false.

            So, he said, just do it then, and go through it. I said, no, I can't, I hate
            too much. There's been too much pain in my life, my history, my family, my
            country.

            We sat quiet for a long time, each with his own thoughts. And because I knew
            some of what he told me about his own rather wild life, as wild as my own, I
            think we touched in thought on what was know about RS and others on their
            esoteric paths. Eventually he said skip all and go to the end; read the
            Appendix. (It is the appendix to the 8th edition, 1918) Then go backwards,
            read Life and Death and the Great guardian of the Threshold, and then read
            the Conditions of Esoteric Training, and when you've done that, we can talk.
            This book is no good after one read only. You can come to the Enlightenment
            at a later stage.

            Such I did. And my old-falling-into-pieces KoHW is marked with most of the
            quotes you mentioned here. it was such a good reminder. Thank you.

            Best
            engemi

            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            Christ-centred

          • kmlightseeker
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 1, 2006
              Hi Val,

              --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, "isenhart7"
              <isenhart7@...> wrote:

              > > --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com,
              > > "kmlightseeker" <kmlightseeker@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Interesting:
              > > >
              > > > " 15:12 "This is my commandment, that you love one another,
              > > even as I
              > > > have loved you. 15:13 Greater love has no one than this, that
              > > someone
              > > > lay down his life for his friends. 15:14 You are my friends, if
              > you
              > > do
              > > > whatever I command you. 15:15 No longer do I call you
              > > servants, for
              > > > the servant doesn't know what his lord does. But I have
              > called
              > > you
              > > > friends, for everything that I heard from my Father, I have
              > made
              > > known
              > > > to you....
              >
              > Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against one of your
              > people, but love your neighbor as yourself. I am the LORD. (NIV,
              > Leviticus 19:18)
              >
              > The second is this, 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.'
              > There is no other commandment greater than these. (NRSV,
              > Mark 12:31)
              >
              > So what do people think this means, to love your neighbor as
              > yourself? I think it means, as a practical matter, to cut them
              > some slack. I know most of my own biography by heart and so I
              > understand some of the reasons for my own dysfunction. And of
              > course, of course, I've rationalized my own dysfinction along the
              > way or I wouldn't have been able to live with myself. Been there,
              > done that.

              I think that's true.

              > And I think this is why biographical work, whether for an
              > individual or an organization can be so healing . There's the old
              > saying attributed to the Native Americans, I expect Steven Clarke
              > knows its origins better than I, that says we can't know how
              > another feels until we've walked a mile in his moccasins.

              I agree. Not many people seem to do this from my observation...at
              least, not everyone.

              > Also, if you think about it, if we practiced this really-we walked in
              > another person's shoes for a mile then we'd be a mile away from
              > them when we finally replied. Oh, sorry it's Mrs. Math Person
              > coming out in me again. Here's a more imaginative picture of the
              > saying perhaps:
              >
              > "Until you walk a mile in another man's moccasins, you can't
              > imagine the smell." Robert Byrne

              :))))))

              Regards,

              Keith
            • kmlightseeker
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 1, 2006
                Hi Engemi,

                --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, "engemi"
                <chameleon@...> wrote:

> [...]
                my own, I
                > think we touched in thought on what was know about RS and others on
                their
                > esoteric paths. Eventually he said skip all and go to the end; read the
                > Appendix. (It is the appendix to the 8th edition, 1918) Then go
                backwards,
                > read Life and Death and the Great guardian of the Threshold, and
                then read
                > the Conditions of Esoteric Training, and when you've done that, we
                can talk.
                > This book is no good after one read only. You can come to the
                Enlightenment
                > at a later stage.
                >
                > Such I did. And my old-falling-into-pieces KoHW is marked with most
                of the
                > quotes you mentioned here. it was such a good reminder. Thank you.

                Your welcome.

                Thank you for some of your experiences with the developmental Path. It
                seems like some things need time to unfold - not just a matter of
                mental grasping of information but experience and indeed feeling. It's
                a challenging proposition for sure.

                I like the KoHW and it's approach to the subject of initiation. I also
                feel it's very well written and organised as a book.

                Anyway, thanks for your comments.

                Regards,

                Keith