Astrology and Anthroposophy

  • dbavim
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 1 7:32 AM
      Dear Members,

      I am a young Anthroposophist on a deep spiritual path.
      One of my interests is Astrology and I wonder if I could exchange with
      someone who knows about this subject in the context of anthroposophy.
      I am just looking for someone to exchange with regarding this topic in
      order to know about the "official" position of anthroposophy in the
      context of astronomical calculations for example and or to
      learn/exchange techniques.

      I am looking forward to your reply,

      David
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 1 9:12 AM
        I don't think *anthroposophy* has "official" positions on any
        subject at all. Specific institutions may have more or
        less "official" positions on topics that concern their own
        activities, but *anthroposophy* is not an organization or
        institution or church or lodge or anything like that - just a
        movement consisting of individuals with most diverse, and often
        conflicting, opinions and positions.

        For anthroposophy and astrology, there is an interesting lecture
        cycle by Rudolf Steiner entitled "The Relationship of the Diverse
        Branches of Natural Science to Astronomy" here:

        http://www.awakenings.com/astronomy/

        You may also wish to read another lecture cycle that we went through
        in great detail here some time ago, which describes the very origin
        of the Zodiac: The four original Zodiacal signs (before they became
        twelve) which respond to the four beasts of the Apocalypse: "The
        Spiritual Hierarchies and Their Reflection in the Physical World:

        http://uncletaz.com/spirhier/

        This cycle is also available at the Rudolf Steiner Archive:

        http://wn.rsarchive.org/Lectures/SpirHier/SpiHie_index.html

        Cheers,

        Tarjei
        under the auspices of
        His Holiness Uncle Taz
        http://uncletaz.com/

        "At least two thirds of our miseries spring from human stupidity,
        human malice and those great motivators and justifiers of malice and
        stupidity, idealism, dogmatism and proselytizing zeal on behalf of
        religious or political idols."
        - Aldous Huxley

        --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, "dbavim"
        <dbavim@y...> wrote:

        > Dear Members,
        >
        > I am a young Anthroposophist on a deep spiritual path.
        > One of my interests is Astrology and I wonder if I could exchange
        with
        > someone who knows about this subject in the context of
        anthroposophy.
        > I am just looking for someone to exchange with regarding this
        topic in
        > order to know about the "official" position of anthroposophy in
        the
        > context of astronomical calculations for example and or to
        > learn/exchange techniques.
        >
        > I am looking forward to your reply,
        >
        > David

      • val2160
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 1 9:22 AM
          Dear David,

          There is also a yahoo group on Astrosophy and it occurs to me
          that you might post your inquiry there as well.-Val
        • Stephen Clarke
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 1 9:52 AM
            Dear David:

            Anthroposophists tend to prefer to the sidereal format. The
            calcuations involved in converting tropical to sidereal and visa
            versa are quite simple and standardized and are not the subject of
            any dispute.

            I'm sure there will be list members who can refer you to
            practitioners that you could talk with. David Tressemer and Robert
            Schiappacasse in Boulder, CO, are two that are known to me. If you
            want their contact info, email me offlist and I will post it to you.

            Stephen

            wrote:

            > Dear Members,
            >
            > I am a young Anthroposophist on a deep spiritual path.
            > One of my interests is Astrology and I wonder if I could exchange
            with
            > someone who knows about this subject in the context of
            anthroposophy.
            > I am just looking for someone to exchange with regarding this topic
            in
            > order to know about the "official" position of anthroposophy in the
            > context of astronomical calculations for example and or to
            > learn/exchange techniques.
            >
            > I am looking forward to your reply,
            >
            > David

          • dbavim
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 1 1:30 PM
              Dear Stephen,

              Thanks very much indeed for putting me on the right direction.

              David

              --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen Clarke"
              <mozartg@...> wrote:

              > Dear David:
              >
              > Anthroposophists tend to prefer to the sidereal format. The
              > calcuations involved in converting tropical to sidereal and visa
              > versa are quite simple and standardized and are not the subject of
              > any dispute.
              >
              > I'm sure there will be list members who can refer you to
              > practitioners that you could talk with. David Tressemer and Robert
              > Schiappacasse in Boulder, CO, are two that are known to me. If you
              > want their contact info, email me offlist and I will post it to you.
              >
              > Stephen
              >

              > --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, "dbavim" <dbavim@y...>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > Dear Members,
              > >
              > > I am a young Anthroposophist on a deep spiritual path.
              > > One of my interests is Astrology and I wonder if I could exchange
              > with
              > > someone who knows about this subject in the context of
              > anthroposophy.
              > > I am just looking for someone to exchange with regarding this topic
              > in
              > > order to know about the "official" position of anthroposophy in the
              > > context of astronomical calculations for example and or to
              > > learn/exchange techniques.
              > >
              > > I am looking forward to your reply,
              > >
              > > David

            • Terence
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 1 2:32 PM
                --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, "dbavim" <dbavim@...> wrote:

                > Dear Members,
                >
                > I am a young Anthroposophist on a deep spiritual path.
                > One of my interests is Astrology and I wonder if I could exchange with
                > someone who knows about this subject in the context of anthroposophy.
                > I am just looking for someone to exchange with regarding this topic in
                > order to know about the "official" position of anthroposophy in the
                > context of astronomical calculations for example and or to
                > learn/exchange techniques.
                >
                > I am looking forward to your reply,

                David...

                There is a difference between Anthroposophy and
                anthroposophy. The capital A is a movement of
                people organized as a Society, while anthroposophy
                with a small a is the name Steiner used to identify
                his intimate Imaginative, Inspirative and Intuitive
                relationship with a spiritual Being, he called
                anthroposophia.

                One reads in Leading Thoughts: 1. Anthroposophy is
                a path of knowledge, to guide the Spiritual in the
                human being to the Spiritual in the Universe. and
                in 2. Anthroposophy communicates knowledge that is
                gained in a spiritual way.

                As I see it, there was an intimate heart/etheric
                exchange between the spiritual Being anthroposophia
                and Steiner, which when stepped down from the
                imaginative, inspirative and intuitive cognition of
                Steiner was communicated as Anthroposophy to the
                Anthroposophical Society.

                To cognitively grasp the *message* of
                anthroposophy, one goes through a process of re-
                cognition, which begins with intellectual
                comprehension, the common form of astrological
                expression (by the way), and moves to cognitive
                imagination after much practice and discipline,
                then to cognitive inspiration when one's heart
                begins open and one can *feel* de-light of the
                etheric, to cognitive intuition when one can listen
                to the lowly sound of the heart's whisper.

                There are very few astrologers who can do this as
                most, if not all, are stuck in the intellect with
                calculations and techniques and personality expression.

                Stephen Clarke pointed you in the right direction
                when he mentioned David Tressemer and Robert
                Schiappacasse in Boulder, CO. Go to:<http://
                www.starwisdom.org/star-wisdom-presenters.htm> and
                click away to find out more. I read all of Robert
                Powell's books and recommend Hermetic Astrolgy I
                and Hermetic Astrology II for starters. Also check
                out
                <http://www.waldorfbooks.com/anthro/astrosophy.htm>
                for a great selection of Willie Sucher's books. If
                you are looking for more go to:
                <http://www.vermontel.net/~vtsophia/>. All this is
                information that prepares the intellect...just like
                piano lessons and practicing the scales.

                One needs to also comprehend why astrosophists use
                the sidereal zodiac. Additionally read as many of
                Steiner's books on cosmology so that you can start
                to get a feeling for the Sophianic Matrix of Space
                and its relationship to the etheric web of the
                Earth and Humanity. See the connections and then
                rest easy, with patience, and begin to quiet the
                intellect and start to feel the heart's connection
                to Sophia and Sophia's connection to the heart.
                Begin to comprehend with the heart the connection
                of Anthropsophia to Sophia. All the while striving
                to correct your character defects and personality
                anomalies.

                What does this mean to you:
                The stars once spoke to humanity.
                It is world destiny that they are silent now.
                To be aware of that silence can be pain for earthly humanity.
                But in the deepening silence there grows and ripens
                what humanity speaks to the stars.
                To be aware of that speaking
                Can become strength for spiritual humanity.

                ---Rudolf Steiner

                And...
                The sphere of the Spirit is the soul's true home,
                And we will surely reach it
                By walking in the path of honest Thought;
                By choosing as our guide the fount of Love
                Implanted in the heart;
                By opening the eye of the soul
                To Nature's script
                Spread out before us through all the Universe,
                Telling the story of the Spirit
                In all that lives and thrives,
                And in the silent spaciousness of lifeless things,
                And in the stream of Time -- the process of becoming.

                Rudolf Steiner

                You are wlecome to correspond with me at any time.

                Terence
              • Terence
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 1 3:23 PM
                  David...

                  Here is another link that you might find ot be of value:
                  <http://buncombe.main.nc.us/~grail/>.

                  Terence
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 1 3:38 PM
                    David, Manly P. Hall also has an interesting book
                    called Astrological Keywords. I really like the book
                    by Elizabeth Vreede. She was actually the lead for the
                    section of Astrology when Rudolf Steiner was alive. I
                    imagine she has independent lectures as well.

                    All good things,
                    Dottie

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • dbavim
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 1 4:45 PM
                      <dottie_z@...> wrote:

                      > David, Manly P. Hall also has an interesting book
                      > called Astrological Keywords. I really like the book
                      > by Elizabeth Vreede. She was actually the lead for the
                      > section of Astrology when Rudolf Steiner was alive. I
                      > imagine she has independent lectures as well.
                      >
                      > All good things,
                      > Dottie
                      >

                      > > Dear Stephen,
                      > >
                      > > Thanks very much indeed for putting me on the right
                      > > direction.
                      > >
                      > > David
                      > >

                      > > --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com,
                      > > "Stephen Clarke"
                      > > <mozartg@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Dear David:
                      > > >
                      > > > Anthroposophists tend to prefer to the sidereal
                      > > format. The
                      > > > calcuations involved in converting tropical to
                      > > sidereal and visa
                      > > > versa are quite simple and standardized and are
                      > > not the subject of
                      > > > any dispute.
                      > > >
                      > > > I'm sure there will be list members who can refer
                      > > you to
                      > > > practitioners that you could talk with. David
                      > > Tressemer and Robert
                      > > > Schiappacasse in Boulder, CO, are two that are
                      > > known to me. If you
                      > > > want their contact info, email me offlist and I
                      > > will post it to you.
                      > > >
                      > > > Stephen
                      > > >

                      > > > --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com,

                      > > path.
                      > > I could exchange
                      > > > with
                      > > context of
                      > > > anthroposophy.
                      > > regarding this topic
                      > > > in
                      > > anthroposophy in the
                      > > and or to

                      Dear Dottie and Terence,

                      Thanks very much for your suggestions. I really appreciate them.

                      David
                    • gaelman58
                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 3 1:19 PM
                        Terence: What you've written below is an excellent piece. I don't
                        know that you're right, but I certainly hope that you are...regards,
                        Gaelman

                        --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, "Terence"
                        <lionheart@...> wrote:

> [...]
                        > But in the deepening silence there grows and ripens
                        > what humanity speaks to the stars.
                        > To be aware of that speaking
                        > Can become strength for spiritual humanity.
                        >
                        > ---Rudolf Steiner
                        >
                        > And...
                        > The sphere of the Spirit is the soul's true home,
                        > And we will surely reach it
                        > By walking in the path of honest Thought;
                        > By choosing as our guide the fount of Love
                        > Implanted in the heart;
                        > By opening the eye of the soul
                        > To Nature's script
                        > Spread out before us through all the Universe,
                        > Telling the story of the Spirit
                        > In all that lives and thrives,
                        > And in the silent spaciousness of lifeless things,
                        > And in the stream of Time -- the process of becoming.
                        >
                        > Rudolf Steiner
                        >
                        > You are wlecome to correspond with me at any time.

                      • Terence
                        Message 11 of 11 , Feb 3 5:01 PM
                          --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, "gaelman58" <gaelman58@...>
                          wrote:

                          > Terence: What you've written below is an excellent piece. I don't
                          > know that you're right, but I certainly hope that you are...regards,
                          > Gaelman

                          And neither do I know that what I wrote is spot on,
                          yet the flow, the feeling, the fiery force of the
                          forming words seemed right as I tickled the keys.

                          I do appreciate your feedback.

                          Terence