Seven Planets/ Liberal Arts/Deadly Sins

  • isenhart7
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 16, 2006
      The Moon and Grammatica

      The Moon is associated with the Liberal Art of Grammatica,
      which reflects itself in the very structure of our physical organism.
      Our upright posture, which distinguishes us from the species of
      the animal Kingdom, also gives us the possibility to develop the
      articulation of Language. Not a mere gesturing of sound but a
      coherency of words structured in such a way that it
      communicates meaning for both the objective and subjective
      worlds.

      Grammatica speaks, "My duty in the early stages was to read
      and write correctly; but now there is the added duty of
      understanding and criticizing knowledgeably...Two of these four
      functions may be called active, and two contemplative, since
      indeed we are active when we write and read anything, but we
      are engaged in the contemplation of the result when we
      understand or assess what has been written."

      (All quotes for the speaking of teh Liberal Arts from "Martianus
      Capella and the Seven Liberal Arts Vol II, translated by William
      Harris Stahl, Richard Johnson, and E.L. Burge.)

      Reflection on our contemporary culture reveals that we are
      indeed a civilization of words. From the countless published
      books in print, to the never ending stream of journals,
      magazines, and daily newspapers, we are deluged with words.
      Yet, we might ask ourselves, how contemplative are we in our
      understanding and assessing the written word?

      There is no lack of evidence to demonstrate the shadow side
      of the prolifereation of words. It underscores the Deadly Sin
      associated with the Moon; Covetousness or Greed. Possessing
      the capacity to speak or write the word does not assure that it is
      spoken or written with a moral conscientousness; nor does it
      follow that it arises out of a pure thinking activity of the soul.
      Unfortunately, our time is permeated with false conceptions that
      the word of opinion or authoritative dogma holds greater power
      than the seeking word for truth.

      From: Star Wisdom for The Holy Nights of Christmas by Wiiliam
      Bento