Re: Laurency: A consideration

  • isenhart7
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 2, 2006
      --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Hale"
      <sardisian01@y...> wrote:

      > The thing about Dylan is that he never really organized his thought-
      > streams into anything coherent. Although he did become a "slow-
      > train coming", which is good and indicative of a slow and
      > progressive uptake of spirituality in terms of Christianity.

      Dear Steve,

      Well, exactly! I love this-that you say, "He never really organized
      his thought streams into anything coherent". Not very arisotelian of
      him, I'd say. But that's the thing, as you know-anthroposophy is the
      banner we can all work together under if we so choose.

      Arisotelianism, platonism, and this(new for me)phythagorism are all
      dead ends IMO for modern man. Now I always kind of considered
      platonism the conceptual understanding you could get caught up in
      consciousness soul development. Arisotelianism-a dead end in
      intellectual soul development, which makes Ayn Rand the perfect model
      for the White Witch of Narnia (Ain ran spelled backwards, probably
      totally coincidental) but I digress. I never have considered or
      thought about a specific systemic hindrance for the sentient soul but
      here one is now. Like a slow train coming-if you wait long enough
      perhaps it just presents itself. If I accept what Laurency has to say
      then there's no need to think at all. He or she has it all figured
      out.

      > Now, Steiner once complained that if Schroer had had more
      confidence
      > in his student, that he would have gone directly into the platonism
      > and aristotelianism of Truth and Knowledge and POF, without the
      > Goethe influences, mandated by Schroer. You see, Schroer had this
      > theosophy bump on his head, which remained uncultivated all his
      > life. And that is why he had these strokes of intuition, i.e.,
      > Nero, and seeing his student Rudolf as the one who should edit
      > Goethe's scientific writings. So, Steiner had to write this stuff
      > for Schroer and then work in the Goethe archives at Weimar, while
      > formulating and writing a book which was no less then the fourth
      > form of German Idealism; and brought platonism and aristotelianism
      > to a profound and integral conclusion.

      Are you saying, by "bump on his head" that he had a run in with
      theosophy that he never recovered from? I think the Goethe influences
      were essential, not for those who could connect with aristotelianism
      or platonism (the vast majority) but for those relatively few who
      could not. And I would venture to say that this work-this editing-
      this familiarization that Steiner had to go through with Goethe was a
      significant factor in Steiner's ability to bring resolution to
      polarities-and as you say to bring "platonism and aristotelianism to
      a profound and integral conclusion".

      > All the while, Karl Julius Schroer, history and literature
      professor
      > at the technical university in Vienna, was sinking more and more
      > into senility. And all because he refused to cultivate the
      > theosophy bump on his head. It is said that his love of beauty,
      > including Goethe's poetry and literature, caused him to refuse to
      > descend into the physical world, just like Plato. And that is why
      > Goethe's science fell on the shoulders of Rudolf Steiner.

      I don't know Steve, are you saying that Schroer could have connected
      to theosophy? I always thought it remarkable that he could even show
      up at all-you know descend into a physical body without being
      autistic or senile from the start. So I would argue that it was his
      ever present need to stay grounded that caused Goethe's science to
      pass to Steiner.-Val