Re: Laurency: A consideration

  • holderlin66
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 2, 2006
      Clearly and wonderfully articulated. What Steve Hale brought so
      clearly is part of the tragedy and comedy of Hroswita von
      Gandersheim and part of the immense task that Steiner was left to do
      solo under the name of Platonism and Aristoleanism. Hans Solo
      against the crutch and brotherly link to ancient Athens in Schiller
      and Goethe, Steiner had to evolve Anthroposophia from this utter
      disappointment.

      Steve Hale wrote:

      "The thing about Dylan is that he never really organized his thought-
      streams into anything coherent. Although he did become a "slow-
      train coming", which is good and indicative of a slow and
      progressive uptake of spirituality in terms of Christianity.

      Now, Steiner once complained that if Schroer had had more confidence
      in his student, that he would have gone directly into the platonism
      and aristotelianism of Truth and Knowledge and POF, without the
      Goethe influences, mandated by Schroer. You see, Schroer had this
      theosophy bump on his head, which remained uncultivated all his
      life. And that is why he had these strokes of intuition, i.e.,
      Nero, and seeing his student Rudolf as the one who should edit
      Goethe's scientific writings. So, Steiner had to write this stuff
      for Schroer and then work in the Goethe archives at Weimar, while
      formulating and writing a book which was no less then the fourth
      form of German Idealism; and brought platonism and aristotelianism
      to a profound and integral conclusion.

      All the while, Karl Julius Schroer, history and literature professor
      at the technical university in Vienna, was sinking more and more
      into senility. And all because he refused to cultivate the
      theosophy bump on his head. It is said that his love of beauty,
      including Goethe's poetry and literature, caused him to refuse to
      descend into the physical world, just like Plato. And that is why
      Goethe's science fell on the shoulders of Rudolf Steiner."

      Steve
    • isenhart7
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 2, 2006
        --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Hale"
        <sardisian01@y...> wrote:

        > The thing about Dylan is that he never really organized his thought-
        > streams into anything coherent. Although he did become a "slow-
        > train coming", which is good and indicative of a slow and
        > progressive uptake of spirituality in terms of Christianity.

        Dear Steve,

        Well, exactly! I love this-that you say, "He never really organized
        his thought streams into anything coherent". Not very arisotelian of
        him, I'd say. But that's the thing, as you know-anthroposophy is the
        banner we can all work together under if we so choose.

        Arisotelianism, platonism, and this(new for me)phythagorism are all
        dead ends IMO for modern man. Now I always kind of considered
        platonism the conceptual understanding you could get caught up in
        consciousness soul development. Arisotelianism-a dead end in
        intellectual soul development, which makes Ayn Rand the perfect model
        for the White Witch of Narnia (Ain ran spelled backwards, probably
        totally coincidental) but I digress. I never have considered or
        thought about a specific systemic hindrance for the sentient soul but
        here one is now. Like a slow train coming-if you wait long enough
        perhaps it just presents itself. If I accept what Laurency has to say
        then there's no need to think at all. He or she has it all figured
        out.

        > Now, Steiner once complained that if Schroer had had more
        confidence
        > in his student, that he would have gone directly into the platonism
        > and aristotelianism of Truth and Knowledge and POF, without the
        > Goethe influences, mandated by Schroer. You see, Schroer had this
        > theosophy bump on his head, which remained uncultivated all his
        > life. And that is why he had these strokes of intuition, i.e.,
        > Nero, and seeing his student Rudolf as the one who should edit
        > Goethe's scientific writings. So, Steiner had to write this stuff
        > for Schroer and then work in the Goethe archives at Weimar, while
        > formulating and writing a book which was no less then the fourth
        > form of German Idealism; and brought platonism and aristotelianism
        > to a profound and integral conclusion.

        Are you saying, by "bump on his head" that he had a run in with
        theosophy that he never recovered from? I think the Goethe influences
        were essential, not for those who could connect with aristotelianism
        or platonism (the vast majority) but for those relatively few who
        could not. And I would venture to say that this work-this editing-
        this familiarization that Steiner had to go through with Goethe was a
        significant factor in Steiner's ability to bring resolution to
        polarities-and as you say to bring "platonism and aristotelianism to
        a profound and integral conclusion".

        > All the while, Karl Julius Schroer, history and literature
        professor
        > at the technical university in Vienna, was sinking more and more
        > into senility. And all because he refused to cultivate the
        > theosophy bump on his head. It is said that his love of beauty,
        > including Goethe's poetry and literature, caused him to refuse to
        > descend into the physical world, just like Plato. And that is why
        > Goethe's science fell on the shoulders of Rudolf Steiner.

        I don't know Steve, are you saying that Schroer could have connected
        to theosophy? I always thought it remarkable that he could even show
        up at all-you know descend into a physical body without being
        autistic or senile from the start. So I would argue that it was his
        ever present need to stay grounded that caused Goethe's science to
        pass to Steiner.-Val