Benjamin Elijah Mays

    Message 1 of 91 , Jan 1, 2006
      Hey friends, I am in the midst of a writing project
      and I've had to do some research on black colleges.
      I've come across Morehouse which is famous for many
      things including Dr. Martin Luther King having
      graduated there in 1948. I want to share a few quotes
      from Benjamin Elias Mays who was President for a very
      prosperous 27 years. God, I keep thinking ' if only we
      had more men like this in our political sphere would
      life be quite different than what we are experiencing
      right now. whew.

      http://www.morehouse.edu/aboutmc/chapel/mays_memorial/mays_wisdom.html

      Benjamin Elijah Mays National Memorial

      Words of Wisdom
      Benjamin Elijah Mays National Memorial
      Words of Wisdom

      "I am disturbed, I am uneasy about men because we have
      no guarantee that when we train a man's mind, we will
      train his heart; no guarantee that when we increase a
      man's knowledge, we will increase his goodness. There
      is no necessary correlation between knowledge and
      goodness."

      "There is an air of expectancy at Morehouse College.
      It is expected that the student who enters here will
      do well. It is also expected that once a man bears the
      insignia of a Morehouse Graduate, he will do
      exceptionally well. We expect nothing less....May you
      perform so well that when a man is needed for an
      important job in your field, your work will be so
      impressive that the committee of selection will be
      compelled to examine yhour credentials. May you
      forever stand for something noble and high. Let no man
      dismiss you with a wave of the hand or a shrug of the
      shoulder."
      "It must be borne in mind that the tragedy in life
      doesn't lie in not reaching your goal. The tragedy
      lies in having no goal to reach. It isn't a calamity
      to die with dreams unfulfilled, but it is a calamity
      not to dream. It is not a disaster to be unable to
      capture your ideal, but it is a disaster to have no
      ideal to capture. It is not a disgrace not to reach
      the stars, but it is a disgrace to have no stars to
      reach for. Not failure, but low aim is sin."

      " It will not be sufficient for Morehouse College, for
      any college, for that matter, to produce clever
      graduates, men fluent in speech and able to argue
      their way through; but rather honest men, men who can
      be trusted in public and private - who are sensitive
      to the wrongs, the sufferings, and the injustices of
      society and who are willing to accept responsibility
      for correcting the ills."

      love, d

      __________________________________
    • isenhart7
      Message 91 of 91 , Jan 9, 2006
        --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com,
        "holderlin66" <holderlin66@h...> wrote:

        > Calling All Angels
        >
        > by Jane Silberry

        I've heard this on the radio so it's been recorded by a
        mainstream artist-I want to say K.D. Lang but I'm not sure. It
        starts off with:

        Santa Maria, Santa Teresa, Santa Anna, Santa Susannah
        Santa Cecilia, Santa Copelia, Santa Dominica, Mary Angelica
        Frater Achad, Frater Pietro, Julianus, Petronella
        Santa, Santos, Miroslaw, Vladimir
        and all the rest ...

        And ends with:

        Calling all angels,