January 2

  • isenhart7
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2006
      From The Christmas and Holy Nights Journal

      The Cycle of the Year and Soul Progression
      Breathing with Nature

      The subtle intimate relationship we have with the outer processes of
      nature affect us much deeper than we may realize. The earth, herself,
      is a living being whose life pours forth in great rhythmical
      inhalations and exhalations during the course of the year. This earthly
      Being encompasses the heavens and is moved by each human perception,
      thought and deed. Her being speaks to us through all of creation. She
      was the spiritual inspirere of the masters who taught at the Chartes
      cathedral in France duirning the tenth-twelfth centuries. They knew
      this being as the Goddess Natura:

      "Then above all there appeared a living Being, a being of a higher
      kind, the Goddess Natura. She was the Goddess who revealed herself in
      her full radiance, in full reality of soul. She appeared from every
      mineral, from every plant, from every creeping beast, from the clouds,
      the mountains, the river-springs. She was the metamorphosis of
      Persephone of antiquity. She was the ever-creating Goddess with whom
      they who would seek for knowledge must in a certain way unite. Of this
      Goddess who alternatively creaes above the earth and beneath, a feeling
      of certainty grew. She is the handmaid of that Divinity of whom the
      gospels tell. She it is who fulfills the Divine behests."

      Karmic Relationships Vol. III
      Rudolf Steiner

      During the summer months, Natura expresses herself in the multi-hued
      colors and fragrances of the flowers, in the songs of the birds, the
      joyful flight of the butterflies. The spirits of the elements are
      active and their works visible. We too, are pulled out by the long
      light-filled days and the beauty of nature. High summer brings us into
      relation with the new path of the shepherds, which Rudolf Steiner
      characterizes as such:

      "Then will the growing plants, the rushing river, the murmuring
      stream, the lightening and thunder from the clouds, not merely speak to
      us in an indifferent way; rather from all that the flowers speak, from
      all that the radiant stars and the shining Sun speak, as the result of
      every observation of nature, there will stream into our eyes, stream
      into our ears, into our hearts, words which proclaim nothing else than
      this: God reveals Himself in the heavenly heights, and peace must
      reign amongst human beings on earth, amongst human beings of good will."

      As the summer comes to a close and Michaelmas draws near, outer nature
      dies, the life of Natura begins to recede beneath the earth. With this
      in-breath of nature, the new path of the Magi begins-to understand the
      human being in relation to the cosmos. A new star wisdom born of
      imagination, inspiration, and intuition as Rudolf Steiner describes
      in "Knowledge of Higher Worlds and its Attainment" is needed to read
      the inscriptions of the planets and stars upon the human body, soul,
      and spirit and their influence on the life of nature.

      An inner awakening and the contraction and concentration of our soul
      life intensifies as the outer darkness grows longer. What was outwardly
      experienced in the beauty of nature in the summer months, begins to
      inwardly light up in a differest way within us. Candles are lit, fires
      built, and the fragrance of freshly cut greens can fill the home.

      Inwardly we can learn to stand in the dark and embrace its wisdom, to
      generate inner light in the dark stillness, and to prepare for the
      quickening that can occur at the midnight of the year.

      Behold the Sun
      At the midnight hour;
      Build with stones in lifeless ground,
      Thus in decay and in the night of Death
      Dind the Creation's new beginning,
      Young morning's strength;
      Glory in the heights the eternal Word of Gods;
      Shelter in the depths the Powers of Peace.
      In darkness dwelling, create a Sun.
      In matter weaving, know the joy of Spirit!

      Rudolf Steiner
      Festivals and their Meaning

      Dreams During the Holy Nights

      Dreams are a pictorial language of the soul that can express many
      levels and aspects of who we are in relationship to both the physical
      and spiritual worlds. Perhaps the most well loved Norwegian dream saga
      is the Dream Song of Olaf Astenson, who slept through the entire Holy
      Nights, but had a colorful inner journey past the lower guardian of the
      threshold to meet the Higher Guardian (Christ is this higher guardian
      and the lower is the unredeemed aspects of oneself).

      There is a creative soul element active in dream making that we can
      begin to understand by letting the images live and speak for themselves
      as living pictures without an immediate over-interpretation. Robert
      Sardello, author of "Facing the World with Soul", gave an ingenious
      suggestion at a workshop that took place in the summer of 1993. He
      suggested looking at a dream as a work of art, as happening as an
      interwoven whole-but not in time. (For it is only upon awakening that
      we remember the dream in sequence-in time.) Then step into what you can
      remember of the dream as is stepping into a painting. If you step into
      the image of a painting-you are everywhere in the image consciously and
      it ceases to be an image. At this point you enter the creative element
      working within the dream.

      (This can also be performed as a meditation with an actual painting)

      Robert suggested stepping into the dream and writing it as a poem, not
      a story. Try writing your dreams as poems in the morning. This brings
      an immediacy to the image which is much different than interpretation.
      Robert also said, to inspire dreams: "Perform little acts of love for
      oneself." This can be as simple as lovingly washing the dishes,
      lighting a candle and putting some floral oils in the tub for a bath,
      or blessing your food with attention before eating.

      A much different set of laws govern the dream world than our physical
      world. For instance, in our normal waking day activities, we have to
      will our actions, for anything to take place. If we are quiet and
      still, nothing outwardly happens. In the dream world it is just the
      opposite. If we try to will anything, all kinds of changes and
      hindrances manifest themselves. If we are able to trust and let go and
      come to an inner quiet receptivity, a broader, smoother lucid dream
      revelation is possible. The otehr activities and stories in this
      journal will also help open new horizins in dreaming.

      January Second, Envisioning September-Reviewing past September

      Morning

      Awakening
      Glimages
      Dreams/Poem
      Eurythmy
      Centering Exercise
      Virtues and Meditations
      Envisioning Day/Month
      Journal Notes

      Waking Day

      Daily Encounters

      Preparing for Sleep

      Candle Light and Oil
      Centering Exercise
      Retrospection of the Month
      Retrospection of the Day
      Journal Notes
      Evening Meditation

      Everyone within the Grail Castle was served with the utmost
      courtesy by the Queen of the Grail and her handmaidens.

      COURTESY BECOMES TACTFULNESS OF HEART

      Compassion which becomes freedom illuminates the meaning and dignity of
      courtesy. Often courtesy is reduced to a habitual means of easing
      relations. True coutesy witnesses the higher human being and the
      spiritual union between all human beings. When true courtesy is not
      expresses, we feel the failing of the other. If we collude with this
      superficial courtesy, upon self-examination, we experience the shame of
      having missed the opportunity to know the other. Courtesy strives to
      enoble our actions.

      Courtesy becomes the heart's tact.

      COURTEST MEDITATION

      In a quiet moment, focus your attention on your heart space. Imagine a
      recent encounter with someone where you struggled to discern who they
      truly are to you. Imagine your heart opening to receive them and
      closing to contain them. Experience this pulsing expansion and
      contraction in your heart. Now, imagine what words would you speak to
      them from this origin.
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 1, 2006
        Dear Val,

        I just want to say thankyou again for these wonderful
        posts. It's funny because last night I had a dream
        that has bothered me as I realized my Father had
        kidnapped my Mother, and I realized he actually killed
        her. And I had to find out where he hid her. But there
        was no signs. I realized just before woke up that I
        was only looking for the physical signs and I just
        couldn't figure out where he hid her. And it didnt'
        matter that he was my father I wanted to uncover that
        1) he killed her and 2) where she was. And my ex was
        helping me but he was outmaneuvering us at every turn.
        He even involved a homeless person and I knew this
        homeless person knew what happened. And then I woke
        up. But it has stayed with me for the day and, well, I
        guess I was surprised that I had this dream between
        the ending of the last year and the beginning of the
        new. And its interesting had no sense of loyalty to
        my father in the least. He had done something, and to
        my mother, and I was going to find it out. And he was
        going to have to deal with that. And it was my real
        Father today, and my real Mother today.

        And I so love the idea of taking each day and looking
        to the Month of the past year to look back. Isn't that
        just an astounding concept? Whew. It really allows us
        to begin an understanding of the rhythmic work within
        our lives. I have so not been about understading the
        rhythms in such a manner.

        Thanks again,
        Dottie

        === message truncated ===

        Just $16.99/mo. or less.
        dsl.yahoo.com
      • isenhart7
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 2, 2006
          <dottie_z@y...> wrote:

          > Dear Val,
          >
          > I just want to say thankyou again for these wonderful
          > posts. It's funny because last night I had a dream
          > that has bothered me as I realized my Father had
          > kidnapped my Mother, and I realized he actually killed
          > her. And I had to find out where he hid her. But there
          > was no signs. I realized just before woke up that I
          > was only looking for the physical signs and I just
          > couldn't figure out where he hid her. And it didnt'
          > matter that he was my father I wanted to uncover that
          > 1) he killed her and 2) where she was. And my ex was
          > helping me but he was outmaneuvering us at every turn.
          > He even involved a homeless person and I knew this
          > homeless person knew what happened. And then I woke
          > up. But it has stayed with me for the day and, well, I
          > guess I was surprised that I had this dream between
          > the ending of the last year and the beginning of the
          > new. And its interesting had no sense of loyalty to
          > my father in the least. He had done something, and to
          > my mother, and I was going to find it out. And he was
          > going to have to deal with that. And it was my real
          > Father today, and my real Mother today.
          >
          > And I so love the idea of taking each day and looking
          > to the Month of the past year to look back. Isn't that
          > just an astounding concept? Whew. It really allows us
          > to begin an understanding of the rhythmic work within
          > our lives. I have so not been about understading the
          > rhythms in such a manner.
          >
          > Thanks again,
          > Dottie

          Dear Dottie,

          You're welcome! As you know you can work with the virtues all
          year long but it is a nice practice during this quiet time of year to
          plan and review. I have ended up posting more than I thought I
          would due to the thought that, as you said, people may not be
          used to working with rhythm in this way. I thought maybe after
          the Holy Nights I could post something on the days of the week .
          Didn't we have someone on the list who used to post the
          Calender of the Soul Verses?-Val