Narnia

  • isenhart7
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 21, 2005
      Well first of all-let me just get this out of my system. Narnia
      spelled backwards is Ain ran-you know sounds just like Ayn
      Rand? Perhaps Lewis was a fan...

      Well, I''m a C.S. Lewis fan, my favorite volume being "The
      Abolition of Man". Yeah-men without chests indeed. As JoAnn
      pointed out-are we governed or do we govern? Where is the
      governer, the regulator, located in a human being?

      But on to the film... I saw it mostly because my daughter saw it
      and didn't care for it. She said it was too light, too beautiful, too
      fairy-tale-esque. I said I thought it was a fairy tale but then I kind
      of went out of curiosity to see what was done with it. All I can say
      is that I guess my gal is a Tolkien fan. Give her a Tolkien battle
      scene over a Lewis one any day. Me, www.lordofthepeeps.com
      is more my speed.

      So I got home and had to re-read the book-it's short which is one
      of the great things about Lewis, IMO-he's, relatively speaking,
      succinct. So then I asked my daughter if there was a specific
      fairy tale that she had in mind when she saw the
      movie-something she was reminded of and she said, ta
      da...Sleeping Beauty!

      Maybe something in the numerous references to the country
      being frozen for 100 years. Maybe something about that mean
      old ice queen pricking plants, animals, and the half human half
      animals with her septure, spear, wand, ice stick thing and
      freezing them in their tracks. Or maybe it was in the breathing the
      frozen back to life...

      I liked the breathing thing. But my favorite scene was the one
      where Peter had to drive his sword into the ice and they all had to
      hold on for dear life while they were all swept away by the
      rushing river.

      But what was the picture in Sleeping Beauty, in Sleeping
      Beauty's realm? Everyone fell dead asleep in their tracks-frozen
      in time for 100 years. Why? Because Sleeping Beauty pricked
      her finger on the spinning wheel. (The spinning wheel of what?
      What spins? What can spin straw into gold from
      Rumpelstilskin? These are fairy tales-what does the spinning
      wheel represent?)

      Perhaps there could have been a time, save for the intervention
      and the blessing that this not come to pass, that man would be
      pierced by the spinning wheel of the intellect and die to the
      Spiritual World. You know just a thought...But this does not
      happen though people are pricked and frozen in their etheric and
      astral bodies every day they are not dead but merely asleep.
      They merely appear dead.

      As an aside, what wasn't treated in "The Lion, The Witch, and the
      Wardrobe" but I find, personally the most fascinating aspect of
      the Sleeping Beauty tale is the story of the thirteenth fairy. You
      just have to wonder what that Ice Queen's problem is
      anyway-like what happened to her?

      I wanted to also share the dedication from the book as some
      may not have read it:

      TO LUCY BARFIELD

      My dear Lucy,

      I wrote this story for you, but when I began it I had not realized
      that girls grow quicker than books. As a result you are already
      too old for fairy tales, and by the time it is printed and bound you
      will be older still. But some day you will be old enough to start
      reading fairy tales again. you can then take it down from some
      upper shelf, dust it, and tell me what you think of it. I shall
      probably be too deaf to hear, and too old to understand a word
      you say, but I shall still be

      your affectionate Godfather,
      C.S. Lewis