Re: Tobia

    Message 1 of 70 , Dec 1, 2005
      Friends, I share this with you as I am seeking LazarusJohn. I need to
      know his roots as I do the Magdalene's. And I find it very
      interesting that in this story we have Anael's son, Ahiqar, we have
      Azarael in for Raphael.

      This father in the story recalls to mind Joseph of Arimethea and
      Tobias and Sara recall to mind Novalis and Sophie, almost like a
      precursor of sorts or maybe an ongoing relationships of coming
      together. As if it is telling the future in a sense. I think this has
      got to be one of the most important books in the bible. It has a feel
      to it that brings us higher, it has the ArchAngelic community
      therein.

      http://www.raphael.net/Scripture/Texts/straphael.htm

      St. Raphael the Archangel

      1:1 This book tells the story of Tobit, son of Tobiel, son of
      Hananiel, son of Aduel, son of Gabael of the family of Asiel, of the
      tribe of Naphtali, [2] who during the reign of Shalmaneser, king of
      Assyria, was taken captive from Thisbe, which is south of Kedesh
      Naphtali in upper Galilee, above and to the west of Asser, north of
      Phogor.
      [3] I, Tobit, have walked all the days of my life on the paths
      of truth and righteousness. I performed many charitable works for my
      kinsmen and my people who had been deported with me to Nineveh, in
      Assyria. [4] When I lived as a young man in my own country, Israel,
      the entire tribe of my forefather Naphtali had broken away from the
      house of David and from Jerusalem. This city had been singled out of
      all Israel's tribes, so that they all might offer sacrifice in the
      place where the temple, God's dwelling, had been built and
      consecrated for all generations to come. [5] All my kinsmen, like the
      rest of the tribe of my forefather Naphtali, used to offer sacrifice
      on all the mountains of Galilee as well as to the young bull which
      Jeroboam, king of Israel, had made in Dan.
      [6] I, for my part, would often make the pilgrimage alone to
      Jerusalem for the festivals, as is prescribed for all Israel by
      perpetual decree. Bringing with me the first fruits of the field and
      the firstlings of the flock, together with a tenth of my income and
      the first shearings of the sheep, I would hasten to Jerusalem [7] and
      present them to the priests, Aaron's sons, at the altar. To the
      Levites who were doing service in Jeusalem I would give the tithe of
      grain, wine, olive oil, pomegranates, figs, and other fruits. And
      except for sabbatical years, I used to give a second tithe in money,
      which each year I would go and disburse in Jerusalem. [8] The third
      tithe I gave to orphans and widows, and to converts who were living
      with the Israelites. Every third year I would bring them this
      offering, and we ate it in keeping with the decree of the Mosaic law
      and the commands of Deborah, the mother of my father Tobiel; for when
      my father died, he left me an orphan.
      [9] When I reached manhood, I married Anna, a woman of our own
      lineage. By her I had a son whom I named Tobiah. [10] Now, after I
      had been deported to Nineveh, all my brothers and relatives ate the
      food of heathens, [11] but I refrained from eating that kind of food.
      [12] Because of this wholehearted service of God, [13] the Most High
      granted me favor and status with Shalmaneser, so that I became
      purchasing agent for all his needs. [14] Every now and then until his
      death I would go to Media to buy goods for him. I also deposited
      several pouches containing a great sum of money with my kinsman
      Gabael, son of Gabri, who lived at Rages, in Media. [15] But when
      Shalmaneser died and his son Sennacherib succeeded him as king, the
      roads to Media became unsafe, so I could no longer go there.
      [16] During Shalmaneser's reign I performed many charitable
      works for my kinsmen and my people. [17] I would give my bread to the
      hungry and my clothing to the naked. If I saw one of my people who
      had died and been thrown outside the walls of Nineveh, I would bury
      him. [18] I also buried anyone whom Sennacherib slew when he returned
      as a fugitive from Judea during the days of judgment decreed against
      him by the heavenly King because of the blasphemies he had uttered.
      In his rage he killed many Israelites, but I used to take their
      bodies by stealth and bury them; so when Sennacherib looked for them,
      he could not find them. [19] But a certain citizen of Nineveh
      informed the king that it was I who buried the dead. When I found out
      that the king knew all about me and wanted to put me to death, I went
      into hiding; then in my fear I took to flight. [20] Afterward, all my
      property was confiscated; I was left with nothing. All that I had was
      taken to the king's palace, except for my wife Anna and my son
      Tobiah.
      [21] But less than forty days later the king was assassinated by
      two of his sons, who then escaped into the mountains of Ararat. His
      son Esarhaddon, who succeeded him as king, placed Ahiqar, my brother
      Anael's son, in charge of all the accounts of his kingdom, so that he
      took control over the entire administration. [22] Then Ahiqar
      interceded on my behalf, and I was able to return to Nineveh. For
      under Sennacherib, king of Assyria, Ahiqar had been chief cupbearer,
      keeper of the seal, administrator, and treasurer; and Esarhaddon
      reappointed him. He was a close relative-in fact, my nephew.

      2:1 Thus under King Esarhaddon I returned to my home, and my
      wife Anna and my son Tobiah were restored to me. Then on our festival
      of Pentecost, the feast of Weeks, a fine dinner was prepared for me,
      and I reclined to eat. [2] The table was set for me, and when many
      different dishes were placed before me, I said to my son Tobiah: "My
      son, go out and try to find a poor man from among our kinsmen exiled
      here in Nineveh. If he is a sincere worshiper of God, bring him back
      with you, so that he can share this meal with me. Indeed, son, I
      shall wait for you to come back."
      [3] Tobiah went out to look for some poor kinsman of ours. When
      he returned he exclaimed, "Father!" I said to him, "What is it, son?"
      He answered, "Father, one of our people has been murdered! His body
      lies in the market place where he was just strangled!" [4] I sprang
      to my feet, leaving the dinner untouched; and I carried the dead man
      from the street and put him in one of the rooms, so that I might bury
      him after sunset. [5] Returning to my own quarters, I washed myself
      and ate my food in sorrow. [6] I was reminded of the oracle
      pronounced by the prophet Amos against Bethel:
      "Your festivals shall be turned into mourning,
      And all your songs into lamentation."
      [7a] And I wept.
      [7] [7b] Then at sunset I went out, dug a grave, and buried him.
      [8] The neighbors mocked me, saying to one another: "Will this
      man never learn! Once before he was hunted down for execution because
      of this very thing; yet now that he has escaped, here he is again
      burying the dead!"
      [9] That same night I bathed, and went to sleep next to the wall
      of my courtyard. Because of the heat I left my face uncovered. [10] I
      did not know there were birds perched on the wall above me, till
      their warm droppings settled in my eyes, causing cataracts. I went to
      see some doctors for a cure, but the more they anointed my eyes with
      various salves, the worse the cataracts became, until I could see no
      more. For four years I was deprived of eyesight, and all my kinsmen
      were grieved at my condition. Ahiqar, however, took care of me for
      two years, until he left for Elymais.
      [11] At that time my wife Anna worked for hire at weaving cloth,
      the kind of work women do. [12] When she sent back the goods to their
      owners, they would pay her. Late in winter she finished the cloth and
      sent it back to the owners. They paid her the full salary, and also
      gave her a young goat for the table. [13] On entering my house the
      goat began to bleat. I called to my wife and said: "Where did this
      goat come from? Perhaps it was stolen! Give it back to its owners; we
      have no right to eat stolen food!" [14] But she said to me, "It was
      given to me as a bonus over and above my wages." Yet I would not
      believe her, and told her to give it back to its owners. I became
      very angry with her over this. So she retorted: "Where are your
      charitable deeds now? Where are your virtuous acts? See! Your true
      character is finally showing itself!"

      3:1 Grief-stricken in spirit, I groaned and wept aloud. Then
      with sobs I began to pray:
      [2] "You are righteous, O Lord,
      and all your deeds are just;
      All your ways are mercy and truth;
      you are the judge of the world.
      [3] And now, O Lord, may you be mindful of me,
      and look with favor upon me.
      Punish me not for my sins,
      nor for my inadvertent offenses,
      nor for those of my fathers.
      "They sinned against you,
      [4] and disobeyed your commandments.
      So you handed us over to plundering, exile, and death,
      till we were an object lesson, a byword, a reproach
      in all the nations among whom you scattered us.
      [5] "Yes, your judgments are many and true
      in dealing with me as my sins
      and those of my fathers deserve.
      For we have not kept your commandments,
      nor have we trodden the paths of truth before you.
      [6] "So now, deal with me as you please,
      and command my life breath to be taken from me,
      that I may go from the face of the earth into dust.
      It is better for me to die than to live,
      because I have heard insulting calumnies,
      and I am overwhelmed with grief.
      "Lord, command me to be delivered from such anguish;
      let me go to the everlasting abode;
      Lord, refuse me not.
      For it is better for me to die
      than to endure so much misery in life,
      and to hear these insults!"
      [7] On the same day, at Ecbatana in Media, it so happened that
      Raguel's daughter Sarah also had to listen to abuse, from one of her
      father's maids. [8] For she had been married to seven husbands, but
      the wicked demon Asmodeus killed them off before they could have
      intercourse with her, as it is prescribed for wives. So the maid said
      to her: "You are the one who strangles your husbands! Look at you!
      You have already been married seven times, but you have had no joy
      with any one of your husbands. [9] Why do you beat us? Because your
      husbands are dead? Then why not join them! May we never see a son or
      daughter of yours!"
      [10] That day she was deeply grieved in spirit. She went in
      tears to an upstairs room in her father's house with the intention of
      hanging herself. But she reconsidered, saying to herself: "No! People
      would level this insult against my father: 'You had only one beloved
      daughter, but she hanged herself because of ill fortune!' And thus
      would I cause my father in his old age to go down to the nether world
      laden with sorrow. It is far better for me not to hang myself, but to
      beg the Lord to have me die, so that I need no longer live to hear
      such insults."
      [11] At that time, then, she spread out her hands, and facing
      the window, poured out this prayer:
      "Blessed are you, O Lord, merciful God!
      Forever blessed and honored is your holy name;
      may all your works forever bless you.
      [12] And now, O Lord, to you I turn my face
      and raise my eyes.
      [13] Bid me to depart from the earth,
      never again to hear such insults.
      [14] "You know, O Master, that I am innocent
      of any impure act with a man,
      [15] And that I have never defiled my own name
      or my father's name in the land of my exile.
      "I am my father's only daughter,
      and he has no other child to make his heir,
      Nor does he have a close kinsman or other relative
      whom I might bide my time to marry.
      I have already lost seven husbands;
      why then should I live any longer?
      But if it please you, Lord, not to slay me,
      look favorably upon me and have pity on me;
      never again let me hear these insults!"
      [16] At that very time, the prayer of these two suppliants was
      heard in the glorious presence of Almighty God. [17] So Raphael was
      sent to heal them both: to remove the cataracts from Tobit's eyes, so
      that he might again see God's sunlight; and to marry Raguel's
      daughter Sarah to Tobit's son Tobiah, and then drive the wicked demon
      Asmodeus from her. For Tobiah had the right to claim her before any
      other who might wish to marry her.
      In the very moment that Tobit returned from the courtyard to his
      house, Raguel's daughter Sarah came downstairs from her room.

      4:1 [1a] That same day Tobit remembered the money he had
      deposited with Gabael at Rages in Media, [2] [1b] and he thought,
      [2] "Now that I have asked for death, why should I not call my son
      Tobiah and let him know about this money before I die?" [3] So he
      called his son Tobiah; and when he came, he said to him: "My son,
      when I die, give me a decent burial. Honor your mother, and do not
      abandon her as long as she lives. Do whatever pleases her, and do not
      grieve her spirit in any way. [4] Remember, my son, that she went
      through many trials for your sake while you were in her womb. And
      when she dies, bury her in the same grave with me.
      [5] "Through all your days, my son, keep the Lord in mind, and
      suppress every desire to sin or to break his commandments. Perform
      good works all the days of your life, and do not tread the paths of
      wrongdoing. [6] For if you are steadfast in your service, your good
      works will bring success, not only to you, but also to all those who
      live uprightly.
      [7] "Give alms from your possessions. Do not turn your face away
      from any of the poor, and God's face will not be turned away from
      you. [8] Son, give alms in proportion to what you own. If you have
      great wealth, give alms out of your abundance; if you have but
      little, distribute even some of that. But do not hesitate to give
      alms; [9] you will be storing up a goodly treasure for yourself
      against the day of adversity. [10] Almsgiving frees one from death,
      and keeps one from going into the dark abode. [11] Alms are a worthy
      offering in the sight of the Most High for all who give them.
      [12] "Be on your guard, son, against every form of immorality,
      and above all, marry a woman of the lineage of your forefathers. Do
      not marry a stranger who is not of your father's tribe, because we
      are sons of the prophets. My boy, keep in mind Noah, Abraham, Isaac,
      and Jacob, our fathers from of old: all of them took wives from among
      their own kinsmen and were blessed in their children. Remember that
      their posterity shall inherit the land. [13] Therefore, my son, love
      your kinsmen. Do not be so proudhearted toward your kinsmen, the sons
      and daughters of your people, as to refuse to take a wife for
      yourself from among them. For in such arrogance there is ruin and
      great disorder. Likewise, in worthlessness there is decay and dire
      poverty, for worthlessness is the mother of famine.
      [14] "Do not keep with you overnight the wages of any man who
      works for you, but pay him immediately. If you thus behave as God's
      servant, you will receive your reward. Keep a close watch on
      yourself, my son, in everything you do, and discipline yourself in
      all your conduct. [15] Do to no one what you yourself dislike. Do not
      drink wine till you become drunk, nor let drunkenness accompany you
      on your way.
      [16] "Give to the hungry some of your bread, and to the naked
      some of your clothing. Whatever you have left over, give away as
      alms; and do not begrudge the alms you give. [17] Be lavish with your
      bread and wine at the burial of the virtuous, but do not share them
      with sinners.
      [18] "Seek counsel from every wise man, and do not think lightly
      of any advice that can be useful. [19] At all times bless the Lord
      God, and ask him to make all your paths straight and to grant success
      to all your endeavors and plans. For no pagan nation possesses good
      counsel, but the Lord himself gives all good things. If the Lord
      chooses, he raises a man up; but if he should decide otherwise, he
      casts him down to the deepest recesses of the nether world. So now,
      my son, keep in mind my commandments, and never let them be erased
      from your heart.
      [20] "And now, son, I wish to inform you that I have deposited a
      great sum of money with Gabri's son Gabael at Rages in Media. [21] Do
      not be discouraged, my child, because of our poverty. You will be a
      rich man if you fear God, avoid all sin, and do what is right before
      the Lord your God."

      5:1 Then Tobiah replied to his father Tobit: "Everything that
      you have commanded me, father, I will do. [2] But how shall I be able
      to obtain the money from him, since he does not know me nor do I know
      him? What can I show him to make him recognize me and trust me, so
      that he will give me the money? I do not even know which roads to
      take for the journey into Media!" [3] Tobit answered his son
      Tobiah: "We exchanged signatures on a document written in duplicate;
      I divided it into two parts, and each of us kept one; his copy I put
      with the money. Think of it, twenty years have already passed since I
      deposited that money! So now, my son, find yourself a trustworthy man
      who will make the journey with you. We will, of course, give him a
      salary when you return; but get back that money from Gabael."
      [4] Tobiah went to look for someone acquainted with the roads
      who would travel with him to Media. As soon as he went out, he found
      the angel Raphael standing before him, though he did not know that
      this was an angel of God. [5] Tobiah said to him, "Who are you, young
      man?" He replied "I am an Israelite, one of your kinsmen. I have come
      here to work." Tobiah said, "Do you know the way to Media?" [6] The
      other replied: "Yes, I have been there many times. I know the place
      well and I know all the routes. I have often traveled to Media; I
      used to stay with our kinsman Gabael, who lives at Rages in Media. It
      is a good two days' travel from Ecbatana to Rages, for Rages is
      situated at the mountains, Ecbatana out on the plateau." [7] Tobiah
      said to him, "Wait for me, young man, till I go back and tell my
      father; for I need you to make the journey with me. I will, of
      course, pay you." [8] Raphael replied, "Very well, I will wait for
      you; but do not be long."
      [9] [9a] Tobiah went back to tell his father Tobit what had
      happened. He said to him, "I have just found a man who is one of our
      own Israelite kinsmen!" Tobit said, "Call the man, so that I may find
      out what family and tribe he comes from, and whether he is
      trustworthy enough to travel with you, son." [10] [9b] Tobiah went
      out to summon the man, saying, "Young man, my father would like to
      see you."
      [10] When Raphael entered the house, Tobit greeted him first.
      Raphael said, "Hearty greetings to you!" Tobit replied: "What joy is
      left for me any more? Here I am, a blind man who cannot see God's
      sunlight, but must remain in darkness, like the dead who no longer
      see the light! Though alive, I am among the dead. I can hear a man's
      voice, but I cannot see him." Raphael said, "Take courage! God has
      healing in store for you; so take courage!" Tobit then said: "My son
      Tobiah wants to go to Media. Can you go with him to show him the way?
      I will of course pay you, brother." Raphael answered: "Yes, I can go
      with him, for I know all the routes. I have often traveled to Media
      and crossed all its plains and mountains; so I know every road well."
      [11] Tobit asked, "Brother, tell me, please, what family and tribe
      are you from?" [12] Raphael said: "Why? Do you need a tribe and a
      family? Or are you looking for a hired man to travel with your son?"
      Tobit replied, "I wish to know truthfully whose son you are, brother,
      and what your name is."
      [13] Raphael answered, "I am Azariah, son of Hananiah the elder,
      one of your own kinsmen." [14] Tobit exclaimed: "Welcome! God save
      you, brother! Do not be provoked with me, brother, for wanting to
      learn the truth about your family. So it turns out that you are a
      kinsman, and from a noble and good line! I knew Hananiah and
      Nathaniah, the two sons of Shemaiah the elder; with me they used to
      make the pilgrimage to Jerusalem, where we would worship together.
      No, they did not stray from the right path; your kinsmen are good
      men. You are certainly of good lineage, and welcome!"
      [15] Then he added: "For each day you are away I will give you
      the normal wages, plus expenses for you and for my son. If you go
      with my son, [16] I will even add a bonus to your wages!" Raphael
      replied: "I will go with him; have no fear. In good health we shall
      leave you, and in good health we shall return to you, for the way is
      safe." [17] Tobit said, "God bless you, brother." Then he called his
      son and said to him: "My son, prepare whatever you need for the
      journey, and set out with your kinsman. May God in heaven protect you
      on the way and bring you back to me safe and sound; and may his angel
      accompany you for safety, my son."
      Before setting out on his journey, Tobiah kissed his father and
      mother. Tobit said to him, "Have a safe journey." [18] But his mother
      began to weep. She said to Tobit: "Why have you decided to send my
      child away? Is he not the staff to which we cling, ever there with us
      in all that we do? [19] I hope more money is not your chief concern!
      Rather let it be a ransom for our son! [20] What the Lord has given
      us to live on is certainly enough for us." [21] Tobit reassured
      her: "Have no such thought. Our son will leave in good health and
      come back to us in good health. Your own eyes will see the day when
      he returns to you safe and sound. [22a] So, no such thought; do not
      worry about them, my love. [22] [22b] For a good angel will go with
      him, his journey will be successful, and he will return unharmed."

      6:1 Then she stopped weeping.
      [2a] When the boy left home, accompanied by the angel, [2] [2b]
      the dog followed Tobiah out of the house and went with them. The
      travelers walked till nightfall, and made camp beside the Tigris
      River. [3] Now when the boy went down to wash his feet in the river,
      a large fish suddenly leaped out of the water and tried to swallow
      his foot. He shouted in alarm. [4] But the angel said to him, "Take
      hold of the fish and don't let it get away!" The boy seized the fish
      and hauled it up on the shore. [5] The angel then told him: "Cut the
      fish open and take out its gall, heart, and liver, and keep them with
      you; but throw away the entrails. Its gall, heart, and liver make
      useful medicines." [6] After the lad had cut the fish open, he put
      aside the gall, heart, and liver. Then he broiled and ate part of the
      fish; the rest he salted and kept for the journey.
      [7a] Afterward they traveled on together till they were near
      Media. [7] [7b] The boy asked the angel this question: "Brother
      Azariah, what medicinal value is there in the fish's heart, liver,
      and gall?" [8] He answered: "As regards the fish's heart and liver,
      if you burn them so that the smoke surrounds a man or a woman who is
      afflicted by a demon or evil spirit, the affliction will leave him
      completely, and no demons will ever return to him again. [9] And as
      for the gall, if you rub it on the eyes of a man who has cataracts,
      blowing into his eyes right on the cataracts, his sight will be
      restored."
      [10] When they had entered Media and were getting close to
      Ecbatana, [11] Raphael said to the boy, "Brother Tobiah!" He
      answered, "Yes, what is it?" Raphael continued: "Tonight we must stay
      with Raguel, who is a relative of yours. He has a daughter named
      Sarah, [12] but no other child. Since you are Sarah's closest
      relative, you before all other men have the right to marry her. Also,
      her father's estate is rightfully yours to inherit. Now the girl is
      sensible, courageous, and very beautiful; and her father loves her
      dearly." [13] He continued: "Since you have the right to marry her,
      listen to me, brother. Tonight I will ask the girl's father to let us
      have her as your bride. When we return from Rages, we will hold the
      wedding feast for her. I know that Raguel cannot keep her from you or
      let her become engaged to another man; that would be a capital crime
      according to the decree in the Book of Moses, and he knows that it is
      your right, before all other men, to marry his daughter. So heed my
      words, brother; tonight we must speak for the girl, so that we may
      have her engaged to you. And when we return from Rages, we will take
      her and bring her back with us to your house."
      [14] Tobiah objected, however: "Brother Azariah, I have heard
      that this woman has already been married seven times, and that her
      husbands died in their bridal chambers. On the very night they
      approached her, they dropped dead. And I have heard it said that it
      was a demon who killed them. [15] So now I too am afraid of this
      demon. Because he loves her, he does not harm her; but he does slay
      any man who wishes to come close to her. I am my father's only child.
      If I should die, I would bring my father and mother down to their
      grave in sorrow over me. And they have no other son to bury them!"
      [16] Raphael said to him: "Do you not remember your father's
      orders? He commanded you to marry a woman from your own family. So
      now listen to me, brother; do not give another thought to this demon,
      but marry Sarah. I know that tonight you shall have her for your
      wife! [17] When you go into the bridal chamber, take the fish's liver
      and heart, and place them on the embers for the incense. [18] As soon
      as the demon smells the odor they give off, he will flee and never
      again show himself near her. Then when you are about to have
      intercourse with her, both of you first rise up to pray. Beg the Lord
      of heaven to show you mercy and grant you deliverance. But do not be
      afraid, for she was set apart for you before the world existed. You
      will save her, and she will go with you. And I suppose that you will
      have children by her, who will take the place of brothers for you. So
      do not worry."
      When Tobiah heard Raphael say that she was his kinswoman, of his
      own family's lineage, he fell deeply in love with her, and his heart
      became set on her.

      7:1 When they entered Ecbatana, Tobiah said, "Brother Azariah,
      lead me straight to our kinsman Raguel." So he brought him to the
      house of Raguel, whom they found seated by his courtyard gate. They
      greeted him first. He said to them, "Greetings to you too, brothers!
      Good health to you, and welcome!" When he brought them into his home,
      [2] he said to his wife Edna, "This young man looks just like my
      kinsman Tobit!" [3] So Edna asked them, "Who are you, brothers?" They
      answered, "We are of the exiles from Naphtali at Nineveh." [4] She
      said, "Do you know our kinsman Tobit?" They answered, "Indeed we do!"
      She asked, "Is he well?" [5] They answered, "Yes, he is alive and
      well." Then Tobiah exclaimed, "He is my father!" [6] Raguel sprang up
      and kissed him, shedding tears of joy. [7] But when he heard that
      Tobit had lost his eyesight, he was grieved and wept aloud. He said
      to Tobiah: "My child, God bless you! You are the son of a noble and
      good father. But what a terrible misfortune that such a righteous and
      charitable man should be afflicted with blindness!" He continued to
      weep in the arms of his kinsman Tobiah. [8] His wife Edna also wept
      for Tobit; and even their daughter Sarah began to weep.
      [9] Afterward, Raguel slaughtered a ram from the flock and gave
      them a cordial reception. When they had bathed and reclined to eat,
      Tobiah said to Raphael, "Brother Azariah, ask Raguel to let me marry
      my kinswoman Sarah." [10] Raguel overheard the words; so he said to
      the boy: "Eat and drink and be merry tonight, for no man is more
      entitled to marry my daughter Sarah than you, brother. Besides, not
      even I have the right to give her to anyone but you, because you are
      my closest relative. But I will explain the situation to you very
      frankly. [11] I have given her in marriage to seven men, all of whom
      were kinsmen of ours, and all died on the very night they approached
      her. But now, son, eat and drink. I am sure the Lord will look after
      you both." Tobiah answered, "I will eat or drink nothing until you
      set aside what belongs to me."
      Raguel said to him: "I will do it. She is yours according to the
      decree of the Book of Moses. Your marriage to her has been decided in
      heaven! Take your kinswoman; from now on you are her love, and she is
      your beloved. She is yours today and ever after. And tonight, son,
      may the Lord of heaven prosper you both. May he grant you mercy and
      peace." [12] Then Raguel called his daughter Sarah, and she came to
      him. He took her by the hand and gave her to Tobiah with the
      words: "Take her according to the law. According to the decree
      written in the Book of Moses she is your wife. Take her and bring her
      back safely to your father. And may the God of heaven grant both of
      you peace and prosperity." [13] He then called her mother and told
      her to bring a scroll, so that he might draw up a marriage contract
      stating that he gave Sarah to Tobiah as his wife according to the
      decree of the Mosaic law. Her mother brought the scroll, and he drew
      up the contract, to which they affixed their seals.
      [14] Afterward they began to eat and drink. [15] Later Raguel
      called his wife Edna and said, "My love, prepare the other bedroom
      and bring the girl there." [16] She went and made the bed in the
      room, as she was told, and brought the girl there. After she had
      cried over her, she wiped away the tears and said: [17] "Be brave, my
      daughter. May the Lord of heaven grant you joy in place of your
      grief. Courage, my daughter." Then she left.

      8:1 When they had finished eating and drinking, the girl's
      parents wanted to retire. They brought the young man out of the
      dining room and led him into the bedroom. [2] At this point Tobiah,
      mindful of Raphael's instructions, took the fish's liver and heart
      from the bag which he had with him, and placed them on the embers for
      the incense. [3] The demon, repelled by the odor of the fish, fled
      into Upper Egypt; Raphael pursued him there and bound him hand and
      foot. Then Raphael returned immediately. [4] When the girl's parents
      left the bedroom and closed the door behind them, Tobiah arose from
      bed and said to his wife, "My love, get up. Let us pray and beg our
      Lord to have mercy on us and to grant us deliverance." [5] She got
      up, and they started to pray and beg that deliverance might be
      theirs. He began with these words:
      "Blessed are you, O God of our fathers;
      praised be your name forever and ever.
      Let the heavens and all your creation
      praise you forever.
      [6] You made Adam and you gave him his wife Eve
      to be his help and support;
      and from these two the human race descended.
      You said, 'It is not good for the man to be alone;
      let us make him a partner like himself.'
      [7] Now, Lord, you know that I take this wife of mine
      not because of lust,
      but for a noble purpose.
      Call down your mercy on me and on her,
      and allow us to live together to a happy old age."
      [8] They said together, "Amen, amen," [9] and went to bed for the
      night.
      But Raguel got up and summoned his servants. With him they went
      out to dig a grave, [10] for he said, "I must do this, because if
      Tobiah should die, we would be subjected to ridicule and insult."
      [11] When they had finished digging the grave, Raguel went back into
      the house and called his wife, [12] saying, "Send one of the maids in
      to see whether Tobiah is alive or dead, so that if necessary we may
      bury him without anyone's knowing about it." [13] She sent the maid,
      who lit a lamp, opened the bedroom door, went in, and found them
      sound asleep together. [14] The maid went out and told the girl's
      parents that Tobiah was alive, and that there was nothing wrong. [15]
      Then Raguel praised the God of heaven in these words:
      "Blessed are you, O God, with every holy and pure blessing!
      Let all your chosen ones praise you;
      let them bless you forever!
      [16] Blessed are you, who have made me glad;
      what I feared did not happen.
      Rather you have dealt with us
      according to your great mercy.
      [17] Blessed are you, for you were merciful
      toward two only children.
      Grant them, Master, mercy and deliverance,
      and bring their lives to fulfillment
      with happiness and mercy."
      [18] Then he told his servants to fill in the grave before dawn.
      [19] He asked his wife to bake many loaves of bread; he himself
      went out to the herd and picked out two steers and four rams which he
      ordered to be slaughtered. So the servants began to prepare the
      feast. [20] He summoned Tobiah and made an oath in his presence,
      saying: "For fourteen days you shall not stir from here, but shall
      remain here eating and drinking with me; and you shall bring joy to
      my daughter's sorrowing spirit. [21] Take, to begin with, half of
      whatever I own when you go back in good health to your father; the
      other half will be yours when I and my wife die. Be of good cheer, my
      son! I am your father, and Edna is your mother; and we belong to you
      and to your beloved now and forever. So be happy, son!"

      9:1 Then Tobiah called Raphael and said to him: [2] "Brother
      Azariah, take along with you four servants and two camels and travel
      to Rages. Go to Gabael's house and give him this bond. Get the money
      and then bring him along with you to the wedding celebration. [3]
      [4] For you know that my father is counting the days. If I should
      delay my return by a single day, I would cause him intense grief. [3]
      You witnessed the oath that Raguel has sworn; I cannot violate his
      oath." [5] So Raphael, together with the four servants and two
      camels, traveled to Rages in Media, where they stayed at Gabael's
      house. Raphael gave Gabael his bond and told him about Tobit's son
      Tobiah, and that he had married and was inviting him to the wedding
      celebration. Gabael promptly checked over the sealed moneybags, and
      they placed them on the camels.
      [6] The following morning they got an early start and traveled
      to the wedding celebration. When they entered Raguel's house, they
      found Tobiah reclining at table. He sprang up and greeted Gabael, who
      wept and blessed him, exclaiming: "O noble and good child, son of a
      noble and good, upright and charitable man, may the Lord grant
      heavenly blessing to you and to your wife, and to your wife's father
      and mother. Blessed be God, because I have seen the very image of my
      cousin Tobit!"

      10:1 Meanwhile, day by day, Tobit was keeping track of the time
      Tobiah would need to go and to return. When the number of days was
      reached and his son did not appear, [2] he said, "I wonder what has
      happened. Perhaps he has been detained there; or perhaps Gabael is
      dead, and there is no one to give him the money." [3] And he began to
      worry. [4] His wife Anna said, "My son has perished and is no longer
      among the living!" And she began to weep aloud and to wail over her
      son: [5] "Alas, my child, light of my eyes, that I let you make this
      journey!" [6] But Tobit kept telling her: "Hush, do not think about
      it, my love; he is safe! Probably they have to take care of some
      unexpected business there. The man who is traveling with him is
      trustworthy, and is one of our own kinsmen. So do not worry over him,
      my love. He will be here soon." [7] But she retorted, "Stop it, and
      do not lie to me! My child has perished!" She would go out and keep
      watch all day at the road her son had taken, and she ate nothing. At
      sunset she would go back home to wail and cry the whole night
      through, getting no sleep at all.
      Now at the end of the fourteen-day wedding celebration which
      Raguel had sworn to hold for his daughter, Tobiah went to him and
      said: "Please let me go, for I know that my father and mother do not
      believe they will ever see me again. So I beg you, father, let me go
      back to my father. I have already told you how I left him." [8]
      Raguel said to Tobiah: "Stay, my child, stay with me. I am sending
      messengers to your father Tobit, and they will give him news of you."
      [9] But Tobiah insisted, "No, I beg you to let me go back to my
      father."
      [10] Raguel then promptly handed over to Tobiah Sarah his wife,
      together with half of all his property: male and female slaves, oxen
      and sheep, asses and camels, clothing, money, and household goods.
      [11] Bidding them farewell, he let them go. He embraced Tobiah and
      said to him: "Good-bye, my son. Have a safe journey. May the Lord of
      heaven grant prosperity to you and to your wife Sarah. And may I see
      children of yours before I die!" [12] Then he kissed his daughter
      Sarah and said to her: "My daughter, honor your father-in-law and
      your mother-in-law, because from now on they are as much your parents
      as the ones who brought you into the world. Go in peace, my daughter;
      let me hear good reports about you as long as I live." Finally he
      said good-bye to them and sent them away.
      [13] Then Edna said to Tobiah: "My child and beloved kinsman,
      may the Lord bring you back safely, and may I live long enough to see
      children of you and of my daughter Sarah before I die. Before the
      Lord, I entrust my daughter to your care. Never cause her grief at
      any time in your life. Go in peace, my child. From now on I am your
      mother, and Sarah is your beloved. May all of us be prosperous all
      the days of our lives." She kissed them both and sent them away in
      peace.
      [13] [14] When Tobiah left Raguel, he was full of happiness and
      joy, and he blessed the Lord of heaven and earth, the King of all,
      for making his journey so successful. Finally he said good-bye to
      Raguel and his wife Edna, and added, "May I honor you all the days of
      my life!"

      11:1 Then they left and began their return journey. When they
      were near Kaserin, just before Nineveh, [2a] Raphael said: [2]
      [2b] "You know how we left your father. [3] Let us hurry on ahead of
      your wife to prepare the house while the rest of the party are still
      on the way." [4] So they both went on ahead and Raphael said to
      Tobiah, "Have the gall in your hand!" And the dog ran along behind
      them.
      [5] Meanwhile, Anna sat watching the road by which her son was
      to come. [6] When she saw him coming, she exclaimed to his
      father, "Tobit, your son is coming, and the man who traveled with
      him!"
      [7] Raphael said to Tobiah before he reached his father: "I am
      certain that his eyes will be opened. [8] Smear the fish gall on
      them. This medicine will make the cataracts shrink and peel off from
      his eyes; then your father will again be able to see the light of
      day."
      [9] Then Anna ran up to her son, threw her arms around him, and
      said to him, "Now that I have seen you again, son, I am ready to
      die!" And she sobbed aloud. [10] Tobit got up and stumbled out
      through the courtyard gate. Tobiah went up to him [11] with the fish
      gall in his hand, and holding him firmly, blew into his
      eyes. "Courage, father," he said. [12] Next he smeared the medicine
      on his eyes, [12] [13a] and it made them smart. [13] [13b] Then,
      beginning at the corners of Tobit's eyes, Tobiah used both hands to
      peel off the cataracts. When Tobit saw his son, he threw his arms
      around him [14] and wept. He exclaimed, "I can see you, son, the
      light of my eyes!" Then he said:
      "Blessed be God,
      and praised be his great name,
      and blessed be all his holy angels.
      May his holy name be praised
      throughout all the ages,
      [15] Because it was he who scourged me,
      and it is he who has had mercy on me.
      Behold, I now see my son Tobiah!"
      Then Tobit went back in, rejoicing and praising God with full voice.
      Tobiah told his father that his journey had been a success; that he
      had brought back the money; and that he had married Raguel's daughter
      Sarah, who would arrive shortly, for she was approaching the gate of
      Nineveh.
      [16] Rejoicing and praising God, Tobit went out to the gate of
      Nineveh to meet his daughter-in-law. When the people of Nineveh saw
      him walking along briskly, with no one leading him by the hand, they
      were amazed. [17] Before them all Tobit proclaimed how God had
      mercifully restored sight to his eyes. When Tobit reached Sarah, the
      wife of his son Tobiah, he greeted her: "Welcome, my daughter!
      Blessed be your God for bringing you to us, daughter! Blessed are
      your father and your mother. Blessed is my son Tobiah, and blessed
      are you, daughter! Welcome to your home with blessing and joy. Come
      in, daughter!" That day there was joy for all the Jews who lived in
      Nineveh. [18] Ahiqar and his nephew Nadab also came to rejoice with
      Tobit. They celebrated Tobiah's wedding feast for seven happy days,
      and he received many gifts.

      12:1 When the wedding celebration came to an end, Tobit called
      his son Tobiah and said to him, "Son, see to it that you give what is
      due to the man who made the journey with you; give him a bonus too."
      [2] Tobiah said: "Father, how much shall I pay him? It would not hurt
      me at all to give him half of all the wealth he brought back with me.
      [3] He led me back safe and sound; he cured my wife; he brought the
      money back with me; and he cured you. How much of a bonus should I
      give him?" [4] Tobit answered, "It is only fair, son, that he should
      receive half of all that he brought back." [5] So Tobiah called
      Raphael and said, "Take as your wages half of all that you have
      brought back, and go in peace."
      [6] Raphael called the two men aside privately and said to
      them: "Thank God! Give him the praise and the glory. Before all the
      living, acknowledge the many good things he has done for you, by
      blessing and extolling his name in song. Before all men, honor and
      proclaim God's deeds, and do not be slack in praising him. [7] A
      king's secret it is prudent to keep, but the works of God are to be
      declared and made known. Praise them with due honor. Do good, and
      evil will not find its way to you. [8] Prayer and fasting are good,
      but better than either is almsgiving accompanied by righteousness. A
      little with righteousness is better than abundance with wickedness.
      It is better to give alms than to store up gold; [9] for almsgiving
      saves one from death and expiates every sin. Those who regularly give
      alms shall enjoy a full life; [10] but those habitually guilty of sin
      are their own worst enemies.
      [11] "I will now tell you the whole truth; I will conceal
      nothing at all from you. I have already said to you, 'A king's secret
      it is prudent to keep, but the works of God are to be made known with
      due honor.' [12] I can now tell you that when you, Tobit, and Sarah
      prayed, it was I who presented and read the record of your prayer
      before the Glory of the Lord; and I did the same thing when you used
      to bury the dead. [13] When you did not hesitate to get up and leave
      your dinner in order to go and bury the dead, [14] I was sent to put
      you to the test. At the same time, however, God commissioned me to
      heal you and your daughter-in-law Sarah. [15] I am Raphael, one of
      the seven angels who enter and serve before the Glory of the Lord."
      [16] Stricken with fear, the two men fell to the ground. [17]
      But Raphael said to them: "No need to fear; you are safe. Thank God
      now and forever. [18] As for me, when I came to you it was not out of
      any favor on my part, but because it was God's will. So continue to
      thank him every day; praise him with song. [19] Even though you
      watched me eat and drink. I did not really do so; what you were
      seeing was a vision. [20] So now get up from the ground and praise
      God. Behold, I am about to ascend to him who sent me; write down all
      these things that have happened to you." [21a] When Raphael ascended
      [21] [21b] they rose to their feet and could no longer see him. [22]
      They kept thanking God and singing his praises; and they continued to
      acknowledge these marvelous deeds which he had done when the angel of
      God appeared to them.

      13:1 Then Tobit composed this joyful prayer:
      Blessed be God who lives forever,
      because his kingdom lasts for all ages.
      [2] For he scourges and then has mercy;
      he casts down to the depths of the nether world,
      and he brings up from the great abyss.
      No one can escape his hand.
      [3] Praise him, you Israelites, before the Gentiles,
      for though he has scattered you among them,
      [4] he has shown you his greatness even there.
      Exalt him before every living being,
      because he is the Lord our God,
      our Father and God forever.
      [5] He scourged you for your iniquities,
      but will again have mercy on you all.
      He will gather you from all the Gentiles
      among whom you have been scattered.
      [6] When you turn back to him with all your heart,
      to do what is right before him,
      Then he will turn back to you,
      and no longer hide his face from you.
      So now consider what he has done for you,
      and praise him with full voice.
      Bless the Lord of righteousness,
      and exalt the King of the ages.
      In the land of my exile I praise him,
      and show his power and majesty to a sinful nation.
      "Turn back, you sinners! do the right before him:
      perhaps he may look with favor upon you
      and show you mercy.
      [7] "As for me, I exalt my God,
      and my spirit rejoices in the King of heaven.
      [8] Let all men speak of his majesty,
      and sing his praises in Jerusalem."
      [9] O Jerusalem, holy city,
      he scourged you for the works of your hands,
      but will again pity the children of the righteous.
      [10] Praise the Lord for his goodness,
      and bless the King of the ages,
      so that his tent may be rebuilt in you with joy.
      May he gladden within you all who were captives;
      all who were ravaged may he cherish within you
      for all generations to come.
      [11] A bright light will shine to all parts of the earth;
      many nations shall come to you from afar,
      And the inhabitants of all the limits of the earth,
      drawn to you by the name of the Lord God,
      Bearing in their hands their gifts for the King of heaven.
      Every generation shall give joyful praise in you,
      and shall call you the chosen one,
      through all ages forever.
      [12] Accursed are all who speak a harsh word against you;
      accursed are all who destroy you
      and pull down your walls,
      And all who overthrow your towers
      and set fire to your homes;
      but forever blessed are all those who build you up.
      [13] Go, then, rejoice over the children of the righteous,
      who shall all be gathered together
      and shall bless the Lord of the ages.
      [14] Happy are those who love you,
      and happy those who rejoice in your prosperity.
      Happy are all the men who shall grieve over you,
      over all your chastisements,
      For they shall rejoice in you
      as they behold all your joy forever.
      [15] My spirit blesses the Lord, the great King;
      [16] Jerusalem shall be rebuilt as his home forever.
      Happy for me if a remnant of my offspring survive
      to see your glory and to praise the King of heaven!
      The gates of Jerusalem shall be built with sapphire and emerald,
      and all your walls with precious stones.
      The towers of Jerusalem shall be built with gold,
      and their battlements with pure gold.
      [17] The streets of Jerusalem shall be paved
      with rubies and stones of Ophir;
      [17] [18a] The gates of Jerusalem shall sing hymns of gladness,
      and all her houses shall cry out, "Alleluia!
      "Blessed be God who has raised you up!
      may he be blessed for all ages!"
      For in you they shall praise his holy name forever.

      14:1
      [18b] The end of Tobit's hymn of praise.
      [2] [1] Tobit died peacefully at the age of a hundred and
      twelve, and received an honorable burial in Nineveh. [2] He was sixty-
      two years old when he lost his eyesight, and after he recovered it he
      lived in prosperity, giving alms and continually blessing God and
      praising the divine Majesty.
      [3] Just before he died, he called his son Tobiah and Tobiah's
      seven sons, and gave him this command: "Son, take your children [4]
      and flee into Media, for I believe God's word which was spoken by
      Nahum against Nineveh. It shall all happen, and shall overtake
      Assyria and Nineveh; indeed, whatever was said by Israel's prophets,
      whom God commissioned, shall occur. Not one of all the oracles shall
      remain unfulfilled, but everything shall take place in the time
      appointed for it. So it will be safer in Media than in Assyria or
      Babylon. For I know and believe that whatever God has spoken will be
      accomplished. It shall happen, and not a single word of the
      prophecies shall prove false.
      "As for our kinsmen who dwell in Israel, they shall all be
      scattered and led away into exile from the Good Land. The entire
      country of Israel shall become desolate; even Samaria and Jerusalem
      shall become desolate! God's temple there shall be burnt to the
      ground and shall be desolate for a while. [5] But God will again have
      mercy on them and bring them back to the land of Israel. They shall
      rebuild the temple, but it will not be like the first one, until the
      era when the appointed times shall be completed. Afterward all of
      them shall return from their exile, and they shall rebuild Jerusalem
      with splendor. In her the temple of God shall also be rebuilt; yes,
      it will be rebuilt for all generations to come, just as the prophets
      of Israel said of her. [6] All the nations of the world shall be
      converted and shall offer God true worship; all shall abandon their
      idols which have deceitfully led them into error, [7] and shall bless
      the God of the ages in righteousness. Because all the Israelites who
      are to be saved in those days will truly be mindful of God, they
      shall be gathered together and go to Jerusalem; in security shall
      they dwell forever in the land of Abraham, which will be given over
      to them. Those who sincerely love God shall rejoice, but those who
      become guilty of sin shall completely disappear from the land. [8]
      [9] "Now, children, I give you this command: serve God
      faithfully and do what is right before him; you must tell your
      children to do what is upright and to give alms, to be mindful of God
      and at all times to bless his name sincerely and with all their
      strength.
      [8] "Now, as for you, my son, depart from Nineveh; do not remain
      here. [10] The day you bury your mother next to me, do not even stay
      overnight within the confines of the city. For I see that people here
      shamelessly commit all sorts of wickedness and treachery. Think, my
      son, of all that Nadab did to Ahiqar, the very one who brought him
      up: Ahiqar went down alive into the earth! Yet God made Nadab's
      disgraceful crime rebound against him. Ahiqar came out again into the
      light, but Nadab went into the everlasting darkness, for he had tried
      to kill Ahiqar. Because Ahiqar had given alms to me, he escaped from
      the deadly trap Nadab had set for him. But Nadab himself fell into
      the deadly trap, and it destroyed him. [11] So, my children, note
      well what almsgiving does, and also what wickedness does--it kills!
      But now my spirit is about to leave me."
      [12a] They placed him on his bed and he died; and he received an
      honorable burial. [12] [12b] When Tobiah's mother died, he buried
      her next to his father. He then departed with his wife and children
      for Media, where he settled in Ecbatana with his father-in-law
      Raguel. [13] He took respectful care of his aging father-in-law and
      mother-in-law; and he buried them at Ecbatana in Media. Then he
      inherited Raguel's estate as well as that of his father Tobit. [14]
      He died at the venerable age of a hundred and seventeen. [15] But
      before he died, he heard of the destruction of Nineveh and saw its
      effects. He witnessed the exile of the city's inhabitants when
      Cyaxares, king of Media, led them captive into Media. Tobiah praised
      God for all that he had done against the citizens of Nineveh and
      Assyria. Before dying he rejoiced over Nineveh's destruction, and he
      blessed the Lord God forever and ever. Amen.

      Copyright 2000, RaphaelNet
      Message 70 of 70 , Dec 2, 2005
        > X to Stephen:
        > > I think he would rock and roll the earth. Being
        > the Herald of the
        > > cause of spiritual science
        > itself..Hmmmmnn..Remembering a quote
        > from
        > > Robert Powell wherin he says that "Next Novalis
        > incarnation" wil be
        > an
        > > incarnation wherin he will step by step realise
        > his full potential.
        > > And with this step by step realisation he triggers
        > the awaking of
        > the Anthroposophical Society.

        Hey X,

        I think, I think that sometimes an error can ocurr if
        one forgets to bring the Sophia in the story. Not that
        you have, I am just noting that everyone is stuck on
        it being Novalis' incarnation but it seems to me that
        the full potention will be the Androgynous being way
        of living life. The two united as one.

        Looking at the Zarathustra being I think we can take
        in Mr. Prokofieff's words about, or maybe they were
        Bock's I can not recall at this second, that this
        lineage of Zarathustra was the perfect body of the
        lineage of the Jews. Now, this perfect body was given
        up for that of Jesus. Now, isn't that interesting. I
        mean here the Jews work so hard to create this perfect
        circumstance and then Zarathustra gives it up. Do you
        remember reading this in the Novalis book?

        So, I am thinking that when the Twins unite, I mean I
        can only think of it on those terms, unless one wants
        to say that this happens to the Mary and Novalis
        seperately, and they each have their own path and then
        there is no final reunion of Adam and Eve as before
        the split from a birthly incarnational level. Follow
        me? I mean can it be they follow two distinct paths
        and are each led to rise to the other within and then
        this is the birth of the opposites in a way?

        And a funny thing I saw a while back and it was a
        picture of Jesus on the coffin with a man inside, and
        he grabbed the hand of the Magdalene and the hand of
        John the Baptist and lifted them up. Now, I thought
        the man was Lazarus in the coffin and that we had the
        raising of the Magdalene being shown as well with John
        in the Consciousness Soul, which in truth is actually
        an ocurrence none the less, however it led me to
        Adam/Eve being in that grave. Something about
        Zarathustra and, well I can't hold it and I have to
        see if I can find the inspiration for it again.

        I mean Zarathustra is the Gold Star, the Princess
        Star.

        Just $16.99/mo. or less.
        dsl.yahoo.com