What Ails Thee?

  • isenhart7
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 30, 2005
      What Ails Thee? That is the question. The great quest of our
      time, of our day. Or is it? Is it? IS IT? That is the first question,
      and, as in the case of Gertrude Stein, the last question...

      Last month my family's Persian six year old cat got out of the
      house overnight. She is a total housecat and we were having
      some work done in the house and she slipped out-we feared
      that she had run away. But she came back in the morning
      obviously "under the weather" with something like tar on her fur.
      We cut the tar off and welcomed her back but she was lethargic
      and refused to eat.

      Well, I wasn't too concerned as she was still drinking but the next
      day she began to show signs of dehydration. On the third day
      she lay on her side with her legs extended straight out and rigid
      and it looked like the end was near so I took her to the Vet. The
      Vet said she was in acute kidney failure which could be due to
      infection, antifreeze ingestion, or chronic kidney disease and
      that her educated guess was that it was actually a chronic
      condition. Now the way this was explained to me is that a cat,
      especially a Persian, can have an underlying hereditary kidney
      dysfunction that is never apparent until there is a stress-the
      family goes out of town, the household and cat moves to a new
      house, the cat goes out on an all-nighter.

      Well, I was still hanging on to the premise that I came in
      with-which was the cat got into something that looked like tar-but
      this underlying chronic condition made sense to me and, if true,
      the prognosis wasn't good. So now there were four different
      possibilities regarding my ailing cat and the Vet wanted to
      perform the various diagnostics to determine which was
      "correct" and what couse of treatment would be the most
      effective to the tune of $500-700. Another $700-900 to provide
      around the clock care for three days which is what she estimated
      Snoball would require.

      So I have to say I really didn't care what was wrong with the cat,
      and you might say well that was your cat but I've been in this
      situation with my children many times and it's never been very
      relevant to me what the diagnosis is, what exactly is wrong with
      them. What I wanted to know, what I always want to know, need
      to know, is what is the cure? In this case, regardless of the
      cause the treatment would include immediate hydration. And
      that's what I left the clinic with-a cat with an I.V. and a bag of
      fluids and she is fine today, thank you very much.

      So I would submit that the question is really What Cures Thee?
      That this is the question that we should be asking. And this is
      not, emphatically not, to say that we shouldn't be looking at,
      shouldn't be recognizing dis-ease or dysfunction when we see it.
      To have looked upon my cat rigid and dying in the middle of the
      floor and say to my children-gee, but doesn't she have a beautiful
      coat, lovely eyes, nice teeth, a wonderful disposition, whatever
      would have been immoral, IMO.

      The reason being is that it was within my power to assist the cat.
      If the cat were dead, or beyond human help then yeah, it would
      be appropriate to focus on all her positive attributes. But she was
      still, at that point, a living breathing creature with the potential for
      health. And the appropriate question was, in my mind, what
      would restore health, not what was wrong with her. I did not need
      to know what was wrong with her-why-because the bottom line
      in healing as far as I have seen is to strengthen the etheric. What
      supports the etheric, what supports health, what strengthens,
      what builds, what restores, what completes-this is the question
      that has mattered to me.

      Not to harp on this point but you of course, have to perceive the
      problem in the first place-you have to recognize the disease as a
      necessary first step. To focus on the positive in the face of
      potential death and disease to the extent of non-action with
      some type of what will be will be mentality is to be in denial or
      lala land more specifically. To look for the positive-to re-member
      that there is an antidote for every "dote" and to seek in earnest for
      it, is the work.-Val
    • engemi
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 1, 2005
        Thanks for this, Val
        and needless to say, if this was the question Perceval should have asked
        Amfortas, it could have turned out to have a different effect on his
        journey, but then, Perceval never even realised his uncle was ailing. At
        least you saw how sick your cat was and could go for a cure.

        In the world today it seems to me the same. Few of the real ailments are
        noticed. and because of so many words (most of them devoid of truth), so
        many ideas and theories - on paper, in books and the media, on the air
        whether radiowaves or cyberspace, and of course on the world wide web, even
        on this list here - encrouching ever more around us, seemingly darkening the
        etheric where the ultimate Healer must appear again, we all miss what are in
        front of us. Only when real disaster strikes, whether personal or national,
        there comes a moment of stillness (the eye - I - of the storm) and only
        then, if I am aware, can I find truth. My own truth: the truth of my I.

        This is not the I AM, because the I AM has been. See how John the Baptist
        tried to steer clear of being named that. One other advantage of your
        rethought question, is that in focussing on the cure and not the ailment,
        the tendency to judge becomes less.

        The truth of my I (methinks) is that of Be Coming, not AM-ing

        Peace
        engemi

        ~~~~~~~~

      • isenhart7
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 1, 2005
          --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, "engemi"
          <chameleon@s...> wrote:

          > Thanks for this, Val

          No, thank you Engimi! Of course you are right this was Parcival's
          question because Parcival was a complete fool, as we all are,
          being entertained in the castle, being too courteous (bound by
          convention) to share his perception. He percieved something
          was off, did he not? But he didn't ask. I was thinking about this
          after I wrote it and in a way they are two sides of the same
          question, what ails thee and what cures thee...if you look at it in
          the sense of the question being what is missing-it's still a
          question of what's lacking. The difference is that in asking what
          would restore health and well-being I am assuming that there is
          something that exists in reality that would, in fact, be available.
          Be available if I asked the question.

          So I can look around me and ask "what's wrong with this picture"
          and I can come up with quiet a few ideas. I think you're right-this
          is what is going on in the world today-we are living in this world
          of all these competing theories and people can get lost in them,
          confused by them, and settle-settle for something that "sounds
          reasonable". And they don't ask, we don't ask-not out of
          convention in the honoring tradition sense but out of the context
          of the answers just being too complex-out of in a sense the new
          convention of our time-honoring specialization.

          Anyway, this is something I've been thinking a lot about lately-that
          it might serve to ask what is needed by an individual rather than
          what is wrong with them and again, like you said, it seems to
          take the judgement aspect out of the conversation. On the other
          hand, if you do this, you may find as I have that many people can't
          tell you, don't know, themselves what their needs are.

          So now I'm going to tell a tell a tale out of school-something I
          should not do, would not do-tattle on myself and my fellow
          anthros but drastic times call for drastic measures and the truth
          is this is the most dramatic illustration that I can think of-you
          know makes for good copy.

          A few years back I was in a meeting and I can't remember what I
          was bringing that was so infuriating but another member (an
          anthroposophist) of the group was livid with me, wagging his
          finger right in my face and spitting at me as he spoke he asked
          why it was that he perceived that I was a conspiracy theorist. And
          I said, I had no idea but that this raised a question for me." What
          is it," I asked, "in your psyche that requires me to wear a black
          hat so that you are able to wear the white hat?" And at this he
          almost lept out of his chair, as he burst out with "I don't know,
          WHAT?" This was a very sincere question-like he wanted to
          know but I could only respond that I had no idea on that one
          either-that that was his work to find out. Pretty much I batted the
          big zero in this exchange.

          You know, us girls, how we have to sometimes process things
          so I related this conversation to a good friend, also an
          anthroposophist, and when I said he asked why he perceived
          that I was a conspiracy theorist-she said "Well, because you
          are". And then when I related his next question she asked-"Well,
          didn't you just love him in that moment, wow don't you just love
          him now?" And I said NO, I didn't love him in that moment-the
          man had been spitting like a reptile in my face. And it has taken
          me years to come to love this man. Years. Actually, I'm just a
          hair beyond lukewarm now about him.

          It seems to me that the questions here were the wrong ones.
          What's wrong with you that I am perceiving this, what's wrong
          with you that you would perceive this about me seems a
          distortion of Parzival's question "What Ails Thee". These are the
          words-three words, NO MORE, no less. The lens that is required
          is THE OTHER PERSON'S. They are in the position to know what
          is bugging them, if anything.-Val
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 1, 2005
            Hi Ladies,

            I think for me, I feel an inner pain, which is where the question
            comes from. I find that when I ask this question it is out of 'what
            is hurting you so much? Not really, 'what is wrong with you' but what
            is hurting you so much'? And then the next question for me
            becomes 'How can I help', 'Is there anything I can be of service
            too'? That' is how it feels in me. It is a heart question and not a
            mind question for me or a judgement one? Although I can see depending
            on the mindsets of both it could be taken either way.

          • sky
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 1, 2005
              Well, eventually you will have to ask "WHERE does it hurt", otherwise
              you might find yourself pulling out a healthy tooth instead of the
              decayed one...
              Asking "what ails you" is just the beginning - not the end of the
              journey. You will have to muster up the courage to ask why and where as
              well...

              My three cents, -sky-