What to expect on visiting planet Earth

  • holderlin66
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 29, 2005
      http://makeashorterlink.com/?J2D45221C

      http://prisonplanet.com/articles/october2005/281005ringwormchildren.h
      tm

      "On August 14, at 9 PM, Israel's Channel Ten television screened a
      documentary film which exposes the ugliest secret of Israel's Labor
      party founders: the deliberate mass radiation poisoning of nearly
      all Sephardi youths of a generation.

      "The Ringworm Children" (translated in Hebrew as "100,000 Rays"),
      directed by David Belhassen and Asher Hemias, recently won the prize
      for "best documentary" at the Haifa International film festival, and
      in the past year has made the rounds of Jewish and Israeli film
      festivals around the world. But it had yet to come to Israeli
      television screens. The subject is the mass irradiation of hundreds
      of thousands of young Israeli immigrants from Middle Eastern
      countries -- Sephardim, as they are called today. The story goes
      like this:

      In 1951, the director general of the Israeli Health Ministry, Dr.
      Chaim Sheba, flew to America and returned with seven x-ray machines,
      supplied to him by the American army.

      They were to be used in a mass atomic experiment with an entire
      generation of Sephardi youths to be used as guinea pigs. Every
      Sephardi child was to be given 35,000 times the maximum dose of x-
      rays through his head. For doing so, the American government paid
      the Israeli government 300 million Israeli liras a year. The entire
      Health budget was 60 million liras. The money paid by the Americans
      is equivalent to billions of dollars today.

      To fool the parents of the victims, the children were taken away
      on "school trips" and their parents were later told the x-rays were
      a treatment for the scourge of scalpal ringworm. 6,000 of the
      children died shortly after their doses were given, while many of
      the rest developed cancers that killed thousands over time and are
      still killing them now. While living, the victims suffered from
      disorders such as epilepsy, amnesia, Alzheimer's disease, chronic
      headaches and psychosis.

      That is the subject of the documentary in cold terms. It is another
      matter to see the victims on the screen.

      To watch the Moroccan lady describe what getting 35,000 times the
      dose of allowable x-rays in her head feels like. "I screamed make
      the headache go away. Make the headache go away. Make the headache
      go away. But it never went away."

      To watch the bearded man walk hunched down the street. "I'm in my
      fifties and everyone thinks I'm in my seventies. I have to stoop
      when I walk so I won't fall over. They took my youth away with those
      x-rays."

      To watch the old lady who administered the doses to thousands of
      children: "They brought them in lines. First their heads were shaved
      and smeared in burning gel. Then a ball was put between their legs
      and the children were ordered not to drop it, so they wouldn't move.
      The children weren't protected over the rest of their bodies. There
      were no lead vests for them. I was told I was doing good by helping
      to remove ringworm. If I knew what dangers the children were facing,
      I would never have cooperated. Never!"

      Because the whole body was exposed to the rays, the genetic makeup
      of the children was often altered, affecting the next generation. We
      watch the woman with the distorted face explain, "All three of my
      children have the same cancers my family suffered. Are you going to
      tell me that's a coincidence?"

      The majority of the victims were Moroccan because they were the most
      numerous of the Sephardi immigrants. The generation that was
      poisoned became the country's perpetual poor and criminal class. It
      didn't make sense. The Moroccans who fled to France became
      prosperous and highly educated. The common explanation was that
      France got the rich, thus smart ones. The real explanation is that
      every French Moroccan child didn't have his brain cells fried with
      gamma rays.

      The film made it perfectly plain that this operation was no
      accident. The dangers of x-rays had been known for over forty years.
      We read the official guidelines for x-ray treatment in 1952. The
      maximum dose to be given a child in Israel was .5 rad. There was no
      mistake made. The children were deliberately poisoned.

      David Deri makes the point that only Sephardi children received the
      x-rays: "I was in class and the men came to take us on a tour. They
      asked our names. The Ashkenazi children were told to return to their
      seats. The dark children were put on the bus."

      The film presents a historian who first gives a potted history of
      the eugenics movement. In a later sound bite, he declares that the
      ringworm operation was a eugenics program aimed at weeding out the
      perceived weak strains of society. The Moroccan lady is back on the
      screen. "It was a Holocaust, a Sephardi Holocaust. And what I want
      to know is why no one stood up to stop it."

      David Deri, on film and then as a panel member, relates the
      frustration he encountered when trying to find his childhood medical
      records. "All I wanted to know was what they did to me. I wanted to
      know who authorized it. I wanted to trace the chain of command. But
      the Health Ministry told me my records were missing." Boaz Lev, the
      Health Ministry's spokesman chimes in: "Almost all the records were
      burned in a fire."

      We are told that a US law in the late '40s put a stop to the human
      radiation experiments conducted on prisoners, the mentally feeble
      and the like. The American atomic program needed a new source of
      human lab rats and the Israeli government supplied it. Here was the
      government cabinet at the time of the ringworm atrocities:

      Prime Minister - David Ben Gurion; Finance Minister - Eliezer
      Kaplan; Settlement Minister - Levi Eshkol; Foreign Minister - Moshe
      Sharrett; Health Minister - Yosef Burg;
      Labor Minister - Golda Meir; Police Minister - Amos Ben Gurion.

      The highest ranking non-cabinet post belonged to the Director
      General of the Defence Ministry, Shimon Peres.

      That a program involving the equivalent of billions of dollars of
      American government funds should be unknown to the Prime Minister of
      cash-strapped Israel is ridiculous. Ben Gurion had to have been in
      on the horrors and undoubtedly chose his son to be Police Minister
      in case anyone interfered with them.

      Finance Minister Eliezer Kaplan was rewarded for eternity with a
      hospital named after him near Rehovot. But he's not alone in this
      honor. Chaim Sheba, who ran Ringworm Incorporated, had a whole
      medical complex named after him. Needless to say, if there is an
      ounce of decency in the local medical profession, those hospital
      names will have to change.

      After the film ended, there was a panel discussion which included a
      Moroccan singer, David Edri, head of the Compensation Committee for
      Ringworm X-Ray Victims, and Boaz Lev, a spokesman for the Ministry
      Of Health.

      TV host Dan Margalit tried to put a better face on what he'd
      witnessed. He explained meekly that "the state was poor. It was a
      matter of day to day survival." Then he stopped. He knew there was
      no excusing the atrocities which the Sephardi children endured.

      But it was the Moroccan singer who summed up the experience
      best. "It's going to hurt, but the truth has to be told. If not, the
      wounds will never heal."

      There is one person alive who knows the truth: Shimon Peres. The
      only way to get to the truth and start the healing is to investigate
      him for his role in the mass poisoning of over 100,000 Sephardi
      children and youth.

      But here is why that won't happen. The film was aired at the same
      time as the highest-rated TV show of the year, the finale of
      Israel's talent-hunt show: "A Star Is Born." The next day, the newly-
      born star's photo took up half the front pages. There was not a word
      about "The Ringworm Children" in any paper, nor on the Internet.
      Until now."