For the Bradford Files

  • Jo Ann Schwartz
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 26, 2005
      Saw this on Kos and thought of Bradford...

      Lately I've been thinking on the German dissadents of the 30's and 40's. You
      don't hear much about them, although you know they were there. Did they feel
      as marginalized as U.S. dissadents today. Probably it was worse... dissent
      without a 'net.

      Anyroad, just go read the whole thing.

      Musing on why 2k?
      JoAnn

      ------------------------------

      Enough already with calling Iraq a mistake
      by Meteor Blades
      Wed Oct 26, 2005 at 02:57:42 PM PDT

      Someone said it again today. Invading Iraq was a mistake. Every time it gets
      said, I grind another layer of enamel off my teeth. Nancy Pelosi says it. John
      Kerry says it. Mikhail Gorbachev says it. Spain's Prime Minister Jose Luis
      Rodriguez Zapatero says it. Even the occasional Republican says it. And recent
      polls indicate 55% to 59% of Americans think it.

      Every one of them is wrong. Invading Iraq was no mistake. It was bloody
      treason. And the traitors still rule us instead of breaking rocks at
      Leavenworth.

      They knowingly, willingly, unhesitatingly pronounced what they knew to be lies
      and marginalized, denigrated and smeared contrary-minded people, manipulated
      real evidence, concocted fake evidence, tricked an American population
      traumatized, fearful and furious about terrorism and sent young men and women
      off to a war at the tip of a bayonet named "9/11."

      A mistake is when you hammer your thumb instead of the nail. A mistake is when
      you choose c) instead of d) on the SAT. A mistake is when you put too much
      garlic in the minestrone. Invading Iraq was no damned mistake. And calling it a
      mistake is more than a mere slip of the tongue. It sets a precedent. Pretty
      soon, everybody will be saying invading Iraq was a mistake. And in 20 years,
      your grandkids will be studying out of textbooks that call it a mistake.

      Instead of calling it what it really was. Sedition.

      Over and over again for three years we've had our faces rubbed in the evidence.
      Yet, every day, someone calls this perfidious, murderous scheme a mistake. As
      if invading Iraq were a foreign policy mishap. Oopsy.

      Stop it already. People do not commit treachery by mistake.

      As we full well know, even before George W. Bush was scooted into office
      5-to-4, the men he came to front for were already at work plotting their
      rationale for sinking deeper military and economic roots in the Middle East,
      petropolitics and neo-imperialist sophistry greedily intertwined. When they
      stepped into office, as Richard Clarke explained to us , terrorism gave them no
      worries. They blew off Clarke and they blew off Hart-Rudman with scarcely a
      fare-thee-well. Then, when they weren't figuring out how to lower taxes on
      their pals and unravel the tattered social safety net, they focused - as Paul
      O'Neill informed us - on finding the right excuse to persuade the American
      people to go to war with Saddam Hussein as a prelude to going to war with some
      of his neighbors. In less than nine months, that excuse dropped into their laps
      in the form of Osama bin Laden's kamikaze crews.

      From that terrible day forward, Richard Cheney and his sidekick Donald Rumsfeld
      and their like-minded coterie of rogues engineered the invasion. They didn't
      slip the U.S. into Iraq by mistake. Like the shrewd opportunists they have
      shone themselves to be in the business world, they saw the chance to carry out
      their invasion plan and they moved every obstacle - most especially the truth -
      out of their way to make it happen.

      When they couldn't get the CIA to give them the intelligence that would justify
      their moves they exerted pressure for a change of minds. They exaggerated,
      reinterpreted and rejiggered intelligence assessments. For icing they concocted
      their own.

      Larry Wilkerson merely confirms what O'Neill and Clarke previously had told us:
      The traitors didn't mistakenly stumble their way into invasion pushed along by
      world events; they created a cabal of renegades specifically to carry out the
      Project for a New America Century's plans for hegemony, first stop - Baghdad.
      They didn't carefully weigh options and evaluate the pros and cons and make
      error in judgment, the kind of wrong choice that could happen to anyone. They
      studiously ignored everyone who warned them against taking the action they had
      decided upon years before the World Trade Centers were turned to ashes and
      dust.

      http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2005/10/26/175742/39