Anthro to do list

  • holderlin66
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 24, 2005
      Bradford comments;

      Ann Rice and her Vampire novels has shifted from vampires to Jesus.
      And looking over the Steiner research on Christ, on Zarathustra and
      on Buddha, Rice takes up the seven year old Jesus. How would it
      stand with two Jesus children? How does it stand with the unwritten
      stunning novel of Steiner's reseearch? What a magnificent novel, if
      totally isolated on Steiner research. Frank did some work in that
      direction. It would be a good Catholics wet dream to overcome their
      fear of digesting Steiner and present a pure, raw, rich Steiner
      novel on the Christ event using Steiner research.

      To say nothing of the other novel. The novel that is vastly
      underwritten and that is the relationship between the immortal Count
      St. Germain and the other Transylvanian resident, the shadow of
      negative immortallity, Vlad the Impaler. The entire immortal system
      of a super being...is exactly what we were trying to outline in our
      research on the 13th century Transparent human being who has become
      one of the first of the first prototypes of the new Christed Cosmos
      representatives. This mythic immortal now moves as an amazing human,
      unobserved through humanity.

      We Anthros have more potential than any of us can manifest resting
      on the strength of the new research of the Age of Light against the
      vast deceptions still spilling out of the Kali-Yuga.

      http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9785289/site/newsweek/

      "After 25 novels in 25 years, Rice, 64, hasn't published a book
      since 2003's "Blood Chronicle," the tenth volume of her best-selling
      vampire series. They may have heard she came close to death last
      year, when she had surgery for an intestinal blockage, and also back
      in 1998, when she went into a sudden diabetic coma; that same year
      she returned to the Roman Catholic Church, which she'd left at 18.
      They surely knew that Stan Rice, her husband of 41 years, died of a
      brain tumor in 2002. And though she'd moved out of their longtime
      home in New Orleans more than a year before Hurricane Katrina, she
      still has property there—and the deep emotional connection that led
      her to make the city the setting for such novels as "Interview With
      the Vampire." What's up with her? "For the last six months," she
      says, "people have been sending e-mails saying, 'What are you doing
      next?' And I've told them, 'You may not want what I'm doing next'."
      We'll know soon. In two weeks, Anne Rice, the chronicler of
      vampires, witches and—under the pseudonym A. N. Roquelaure—of soft-
      core S&M encounters, will publish "Christ the Lord: Out of Egypt," a
      novel about the 7-year-old Jesus, narrated by Christ himself. "I
      promised," she says, "that from now on I would write only for the
      Lord." It's the most startling public turnaround since Bob
      Dylan's "Slow Train Coming" announced that he'd been born again.

      Meeting the still youthful-looking Rice, you'd never suspect she'd
      been ill—except that on a warm October afternoon she's chilly enough
      to have a fire blazing. And if you were expecting Morticia Addams
      with a strange new light in her eyes, forget it. "We make good
      coffee," she says, beckoning you to where a silver pot sits on the
      white tablecloth. "We're from New Orleans." Rice knows "Out of
      Egypt" and its projected sequels—three, she thinks—could alienate
      her following; as she writes in the afterword, "I was ready to do
      violence to my career." But she sees a continuity with her old
      books, whose compulsive, conscience-stricken evildoers reflect her
      long spiritual unease. "I mean, I was in despair." In that afterword
      she calls Christ "the ultimate supernatural hero ... the ultimate
      immortal of them all."

      To render such a hero and his world believable, she immersed herself
      not only in Scripture, but in first-century histories and New
      Testament scholarship—some of which she found disturbingly
      skeptical. "Even Hitler scholarship usually allows Hitler a certain
      amount of power and mystery." She also watched every Biblical movie
      she could find, from "The Robe" to "The Passion of the Christ" ("I
      loved it"). And she dipped into previous novels, from "Quo Vadis" to
      Norman Mailer's "The Gospel According to the Son" to Tim LaHaye and
      Jerry Jenkins's apocalyptic Left Behind series. ("I was intrigued.
      But their vision is not my vision.") She can cite scholarly
      authority for giving her Christ a birth date of 11 B.C., and for
      making James, his disciple, the son of Joseph by a previous
      marriage. But she's also taken liberties where they don't explicitly
      conflict with Scripture. No one reports that the young Jesus studied
      with the historian Philo of Alexandria, as the novel has it—or that
      Jesus' family was in Alexandria at all. And she's used legends of
      the boy Messiah's miracles from the noncanonical Apocrypha: bringing
      clay birds to life, striking a bully dead and resurrecting him.

      Rice's most daring move, though, is to try to get inside the head of
      a 7-year-old kid who's intermittently aware that he's also God
      Almighty. "There were times when I thought I couldn't do it," she
      admits. The advance notices say she's pulled it off: Kirkus Reviews'
      starred rave pronounces her Jesus "fully believable." But it's hard
      to imagine all readers will be convinced when he delivers such lines
      as "And there came in a flash to me a feeling of understanding
      everything, everything!" The attempt to render a child's point of
      view can read like a Sunday-school text crossed with Hemingway: "It
      was time for the blessing. The first prayer we all said together in
      Jerusalem ... The words were a little different to me. But it was
      still very good." Yet in the novel's best scene, a dream in which
      Jesus meets a bewitchingly handsome Satan—smiling, then weeping,
      then raging—Rice shows she still has her great gift: to imbue Gothic
      chills with moral complexity and heartfelt sorrow.

      Rice already has much of the next volume written. ("Of course I've
      been advised not to talk about it.") But what's she going to do with
      herself once her hero ascends to Heaven? "If I really complete the
      life of Christ the way I want to do it," she says, "then I might go
      on and write a new type of fiction. It won't be like the other.
      It'll be in a world that includes redemption." Still, you can bet
      the Devil's going to get the best lines."