The Nine Bows the American Folk Spirit

  • holderlin66
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 21, 2005
      "Year 5, 3rd month of summer, day 3, under the Majesty of Horus:
      Mighty Bull, Rejoicing in Maat; the King of Upper and Lower Egypt:
      Banere-meramun; the Son of Re: Merneptah, Content with Maat,
      magnified by the power, exalted by the strength of Horus; strong
      bull who smites the Nine Bows, whose name is given to eternity
      forever."

      Bradford comments;

      My relationship with Rod Serling was due to my American childhood
      being primed for Consciousness Soul insights and subjects. Serling
      always, in his b/w popular series, presented America with vast
      themes, vast food, not fast food...that placed America within the
      ethical jaws of science, and the layered development of the human
      soul.

      On this list few understand or remember the cigarette smoking
      Serling's concise ethical framing of the moral of the story we were
      about to see. The Question, the Parsifal question we were about to
      witness and the type of answer that might arise out of the American
      psyche. Serling's contributions to "7 Days in May" where a military
      take over of the country arises...is as fresh now as it was then.
      Out of Serling, Stanley Kubrick dropped his "Dr. Strangelove". But
      these ancient literature excursions are beyond most of the list
      participants, save those who are deeply rooted in the American Folk
      Spirit...the literal retarded, backward Egyptian Folk spirit of the
      3rd Epoch, arose again in the mood and technology of the Fifth eppch.

      The story of the Nine Bows goes back to Egypt. But exactly why we
      understand the inversion of Fifth Epoch, ours, America with the 3rd
      epoch of Egypt has everything to do with Israel. Israel, Moses and
      Egypt may have been a minor chapter in the running of the big Empire
      of Egypt. But in the Fifth Epoch the vast Israel focus and
      Armageddon lies of Ahriman are lifted, so that Israel now brings
      what Egypt brought as the terror of the Nine Bows. The terror of the
      nine bows can be applied to the Axis of Evil...and trumped up
      threats couched in Ahrimanic lies, so that the Israel inversion from
      the Third to the Fifth epoch can be masked.

      http://members.tripod.com/~ib205/israel_stela.html

      This is exactly why we have discussed and focused on the Caiaphas
      Dilemma as a real, actual factor in the background of intelligent
      issues dealing with the current Imperial Ahrimanic west. It is
      humanity that must defeat the negative aspects of the retarded
      Archai of Egypt, who represses the Christ Event and therefore
      Spiritual Science in the land of Western Science is as fully denied
      as Exodus and the Jews in Egypt. It is paradigms of this vastness
      and depth that Anthros, most, can't get their noggins around.

      Recently this applicable Ahrimanic sentiment was brought to bear on
      one person but it applies as well to the commentary and research
      that places Dr. Steiner as dead center on the shift from the Kali-
      Yuga to the Age of Light and how his work has been denied, and
      suffocated in a bathtub so that noone hears the screams. This is not
      to say that Paul, St. Paul, who was the schizo Saul couldn't get the
      same brand...and the person who brought this brand clearly reflected
      the current use of attacking Wilson the former Ambassador and
      reflects the type of personal attacks that rise up in Waldorf
      Schools or in Politics...And Ahriman always has a grain of truth in
      his twisted insights.

      " When
      dealing with ______________ (bradford, frank, steve, val, dottie,
      Steiner, JoAnn, Clarke, Paulina, Harvey, Tarjei) one is entering a
      Twilight Zone of madness, and they are not just
      crazy; they are 'crazy-making'. One needs to be
      on guard just as one would be when entering a
      psychiatric ward and talking with the
      schizophrenics there. These particular inmates
      may assume a posture of knowledgeableness and
      spew out tons and tons of convoluted pseudo-
      Anthro-speak, but they are still Loony Toons, and
      one needs to remember that in order to protect
      one's own sanity."

      And here is the diagnosis derived from the Nine Bows:

      "Political systems, on the other hand, are mobilized almost entirely
      by fear. Our allegedly more "primitive" ancestors were frightened
      into obedience by tribal leaders, with warnings about the
      dreaded "Nine Bows" who lived on the other side of the river.
      The "Nine Bows" have now morphed into "terrorists," and the river
      has widened into an ocean, but the logic of the fear-based political
      racket has not changed.

      Fear causes people to herd together for protection, thus its
      generation is essential to the accumulation of state power. The
      marketplace – which is premised upon individual autonomy –
      decentralizes decision-making; and the profit-seeking benefits of
      cooperation cause men and women to freely organize into groups.
      Those who subject themselves to coercion as an organizing method do
      so because of a threat to something they value. This is what makes
      individualism and collectivism irreconcilable. As fear erodes as an
      influence in our lives, so does collective power.

      The power of the state, in other words, has its origins in our
      individual weakness which, in turn, is generated not simply by our
      fears of others, but of our capacities for self-direction. To
      reinforce such fears, the state continually reminds us of the
      hostile nature of our world, and of our personal inadequacies for
      dealing with its dangers and uncertainties. We have been warned of
      threats ranging from violent criminals to street-corner gangs to
      price-gouging retailers, against which the state promises us
      protection if only we will submit to more of its powers and
      authority. We are told that we are not capable of raising our
      children on our own; that "it takes a village" (i.e., the
      government) to do so. Those with designs upon our lives then compete
      with one another to become president of that "village."

      In this television-age in which the visual has become increasingly
      dominant as the basis for learning, the state has provided a meter
      of varying colors with which it manipulates our fear level. We need
      only check our Crayola box to recall that orange is a more intense
      expression than yellow, while red reminds us of war and bloodshed.
      Blue and green – colors we associate with peace and life – are never
      offered as the hue-of-the-day by the Department of Homeland
      Security, other than as an implied promise of a world to be realized
      only when state power reaches its zenith.

      The military/police-state purposes behind the state's current fear-
      mongering have been unwittingly revealed by the unsubtle George W.
      Bush. He has announced plans to place the country under martial law
      in the event of another terrorist attack, or a major natural
      disaster (such as hurricane Katrina), or an "avian flu" epidemic.
      His primary objective is to militarize the nation. The fear-based
      rationale for doing so consists of varied options, part of the
      unfettered "discretion" that so many herd-oriented Americans are
      prepared to give the president.

      It cannot be denied that there are dangerous people in the world,
      and not all of them work for the state. Even in the best of
      societies, there always have been, and always will be, brutes and
      thugs with whom we must occasionally be called upon to deal. This
      fact confirms the Jungian insight that whatever degree of order
      exists in society derives from the inner lives of people, not from
      institutional mandates or systems. It is also true that how we fare
      against such social misfits always depends upon our individual
      strategies and resources, and never upon how many police officers,
      squad cars, or prisons the state has available to it.

      It is in the realm of politically-contrived violence and destruction
      that we face the gravest threats to our well-being. As a child, I
      was warned that Hitler wanted to take over the world, and my friends
      and I, in our innocence, scanned the Nebraska skies watching for
      German dive-bombers. Later, communists were held up as threats to my
      liberty and prosperity. Now my children are told that Islamic
      terrorists want to destroy them. At no time, of course, do the
      statists acknowledge the symbiotic relationship they and these
      specters have with one another; an association that makes these
      threats causally connected to state policies. The photo of a smiling
      Donald Rumsfeld shaking hands with Saddam Hussein ought to serve as
      wallpaper on the conscious minds of each of us.

      Instead, we are told to look to our neighbors as a source of danger.
      As we increasingly distrust our own judgments and abilities, we also
      widen our distrust of the actions and motives of others. We are
      encouraged to "stay alert" – although not aware – and to report to
      the police any "suspicious" persons. In my lifetime, Nazi bundists
      with short-wave radios were replaced by communist subversives who,
      in turn, have been succeeded by crazed terrorists with suitcase
      bombs. This manipulation of fear produces a vicious circle of
      paranoia, as we learn to distrust all but the puppet-masters.

      Such fear-manipulating practices energize the worst of human
      emotions and behavior. As in a lynch mob or a race riot, such
      conduct brings people down to the lowest common denominator. Social
      relationships become characterized by the most depraved of dark-side
      impulses: dishonesty, lies, brutishness, violence, a disregard for
      the pain and suffering of others, and a general disrespect for life
      itself. Paradoxically, such statist behavior produces the very "war
      of every man against every man" that Thomas Hobbes saw as
      necessitating political systems.

      History affords abundant examples of fear eating away at our souls
      and destroying our sense of humanity. The increase in lynchings
      during economic depressions; the Nazi atrocities that were grounded
      in German economic and social instabilities; the post-9/11
      willingness of most Americans to sanction any course of violence
      against anyone George W. Bush chose to target, regardless of the
      factual basis for his doing so. These are but trifling examples of
      how fear dehumanizes us and fosters the incivility that helps to
      destroy societies.

      I remember a "Twilight Zone" episode in which the residents of a
      neighborhood experienced an electrical blackout: save for one
      homeowner whose property was not affected. The neighbors gathered in
      the street to ask why none of them had power, and why this one man
      did. The discussion quickly turned to fear and anger, with the
      neighbor becoming accepted as the cause of their problem. Soon, fear
      of interplanetary invaders was brought up, with the neighbor being
      suggested as an agent for sinister forces.

      The lights in this neighbor's house mysteriously went off at the
      same time that another neighbor's lights came on. The crowd quickly
      turned its paranoia upon the owner of the now-lighted home. The
      electricity in other homes continued to play upon this theme. Then,
      an unidentified figure came down the street toward the crowd.
      Fearing that this was one of the aliens, someone shot and killed
      what turned out to be another property owner from the next block who
      had come to check on the problem people on this street were having.

      In the final scene, we see two aliens standing on a hillside with a
      machine that can turn electricity off and on in various houses. One
      alien tells the other that they need not destroy the earthlings in
      order to take over the planet; all that needs to be done is to
      frighten them with the loss of some of their attachments and they
      will destroy each other.

      This is how the manipulation of fear degrades us both individually
      and socially. The torture and death that men and women so eagerly
      inflicted upon subdued strangers at Abu Ghraib prison; the
      videotaped brutalities visited upon individuals by gangs of police
      officers; and the surliness with which airport security people
      routinely deal with passengers – not one of whom poses a threat to
      any airliner – is evidence of how politics, driven by fear, degrades
      us by eating away at our souls.

      I was going through a security check at a major American airport
      recently, when I observed a plug-ugly TSA agent behaving toward his
      conscripts like a demented Marine Corps drill instructor. He was
      angrily yelling out "hut-two-three-four" as people worked their ways
      through these lines of interminable insanity. He ordered people
      to "grab that rope and get up against the wall." He was not trying
      to be humorous. When a young man well ahead of me in the line glared
      back at him, this storm-trooper shouted "are you looking for
      trouble?" If such a slug worked for any private employer, he would
      likely have been fired on the spot. But for those who work for the
      state, mannerly conduct is rarely exhibited.

      Such unprovoked rudeness is infectious. I have noticed a number of
      airline employees emulating this insolent behavior, perhaps
      unconsciously absorbing the atmosphere of state-generated hostility
      around them. They seem to have forgotten what those who work in the
      marketplace cannot afford to disregard, namely, that passengers are
      their customers, not their prisoners. I have experienced none of
      this incivility on the few airlines I find it more pleasurable to
      fly; airlines which, to my knowledge, are not in the bankruptcy
      courts.

      One of the more vivid examples of how fear brutalizes us was the
      shooting of an innocent Brazilian man by police officers in a London
      subway. After earlier subway bombings, this man became – for no
      apparent reason – a "suspicious" person. When he got into the
      subway, a number of police officers tackled and held him down while
      seven shots were fired into his head, instantly killing him. Eager
      to strut his moral collapse to the American public – and before all
      of the facts were available – Fox News' John Gibson praised the
      London police for being "ruthless." "Five in the noggin is fine," he
      reported. A lynch mob mentality is troublesome enough when standing
      by itself. It is made all the more dangerous when celebrated on
      network television.

      We need to become aware of the dynamics of fear, and how its
      energies affect our personal and social behavior. The contrast
      between the marketplace and the state is particularly instructive.
      Most marketplace activity appeals to our desire for pleasure,
      material gain, or other life-enhancing ends. "The Belchfire-8 sedan
      will make you happy;" or "Hyper-Scent after-shave will make you
      attractive to women." I have never been attracted to the Las Vegas
      lifestyle, but I think it is marvelous that a major city exists
      whose principal purpose is to promote pleasure.

      By contrast, politically-minded people believe that societies can
      only be held together by fear – of punishment, prison, death, or
      other people. One need only contrast the language of market
      advertising – with its promises of benefits to be enjoyed – with
      that of legislative statutes – with threats of "fines, imprisonment
      or both," as polar opposite inducements for your response.

      It is interesting to observe the happy, eager, energized behavior of
      children at Disneyland, and compare it with the more somber
      expressions of students as they slowly and reluctantly make their
      ways to the government middle school one block from our home. People
      want to spend time at Disneyland or Las Vegas; nobody wants to spend
      time in after-school detention or San Quentin.

      As I have stated, there are people and conditions in our world that
      can harm us, but we need to confront such dangers with intelligence,
      not with a herd-driven frenzy. We need to understand our fears, not
      repress them or allow them to be exaggerated into collective
      energies by which political engineers despoil and destroy us in
      their lusts for power.

      Our irrational fears have been a major contributor to the
      destruction of Western civilization. But what will arise from the
      ashes? Will it be a phoenix that generates a new, vibrant
      civilization, or only vultures to feed upon the decaying remnants of
      what was once a marvelous culture? The answer to this question will
      likely depend upon whether we meet the world with a passion or a
      fear of life itself. To put the matter in perspective, we ought to
      recall the observation of Andre Gide: "There are very few monsters
      who warrant the fear we have of them."