Re: Wendt to Hale/POF

  • Steve Hale
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2005
      --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, "gaelman58"
      <gaelman58@y...> wrote:
      > Joel wrote to Steve: "I asked questions in order to clarify whether
      > or not I had properly understood you".
      >
      > Joel, I think it was perfectly clear in your mind from the getgo
      that
      > Steve had no idea what he was talking about with that business about
      > POF "metamorphosing" into Theosophy. The former is epistomological
      > the latter isn't. Steiner repeatedly pointed out that POF was his
      > most important work and will continue to be into the future...that
      is
      > simply true and that ought to be the end of it for anyone who has
      > studied Steiner.
      >
      > It seems to me that credence must be given by any intelligent person
      > to all that Steiner had to say about ultimate reality for the very
      > fact that he wrote POF, "Truth and Knowledge" and "A Theory of
      > Knowledge Implicit...". Studying them, one can verify the truth of
      > what he has to say through one's own thinking. One verifies to
      > oneself the truth of Anthroposophy. Without epistomology there is
      no
      > spiritual science,eh?...regards, G.

      Theosophy

      From the Prefaces to the First,
      Second, and Third Editions

      The purpose of this book is to give a description of some of the
      regions of the supersensible world. The reader who is only willing to
      admit the existence of the sensible world will look upon this
      description as merely an unreal production of the imagination.
      Whoever looks for paths that lead beyond this world of the senses,
      however, will soon learn to understand that human life only gains in
      worth and significance through insight into another world. He will
      not, as many fear, be estranged from the "real" world through this
      new power of vision because only through it does he learn to stand
      securely and firmly in this life and learns to know the causes of
      life. Without this power of vision he gropes like a blind man through
      their effects. Only through the understanding of the supersensible
      does the sensible "real" acquire meaning. A man therefore becomes
      more and not less fit for life through this understanding. Only he
      who understands life can become a truly practical man.

      The author of this book describes nothing to which he cannot bear
      witness from experience — the kind of experience that belongs to
      these regions. Nothing will be described here that has not been
      personally experienced in this sense.

      This book cannot be read in the customary manner of the present day.
      In certain respects every page, and even many sentences, will have to
      be worked out by the reader. This has been aimed at intentionally
      because only in this way can the book become to the reader what it
      ought to be. The one who merely reads it through will not have read
      it at all. Its truths must be experienced, lived. Only in this sense
      has spiritual science any value.

      The book cannot be judged from the standpoint of science if the point
      of view adopted in forming such a judgment is not gained from the
      book itself. If the critic will adopt this point of view, he will
      certainly see that the presentation of the facts given in this book
      will in no way conflict with truly scientific methods. The author is
      satisfied that he has taken care not to come into conflict with his
      own scientific scrupulousness even by a single word.

      Those who feel more drawn to another method of searching after the
      truths here set forth will find such a method in my Philosophy of
      Freedom. The lines of thought taken in these two books, though
      different, lead to the same goal. For the understanding of the one,
      the other is by no means necessary, although undoubtedly helpful to
      some persons.

      Steve
    • holderlin66
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 1, 2005
        Well Joel and Gaelman;

        I understand the metamorphosis of Steve was describing. Naturally from
        the observation of the individual biography a person who
        wrote "Implicit Theory" and "Philosophy" also wrote Theosophy and that
        is the riddle in itself of metamorphosis. It is also a directional
        indicator. If we as spiritual beings can grasp the Philosophy of
        Freedom without the Spiritual world how much more so with the
        spiritual world and the foundations of what? The Foundationst of What?
        The Foundations of the I AM, grounded in cognition.

        Steve brought patiently;

        "Those who feel more drawn to another method of searching after the
        truths here set forth will find such a method in my Philosophy of
        Freedom. The lines of thought taken in these two books, though
        different, lead to the same goal. For the understanding of the one,
        the other is by no means necessary, although undoubtedly helpful to
        some persons."

        Steve

        But for the record. While I often have to adjust myself and look at
        things a little differently than Steve....Gaelman and Joel, I think we
        can say with all kindness and good humor, stuff this in your pie hole!