Christ in America - Underworld levels

  • Stephen Clarke
    Message 1 of 154 , Sep 26, 2005
      Dear Brad, Steve, Harvey, etc.:

      I'm tossing you this frisbee of info. on the "Nine Levels." I've
      noted the recent mentions of the UnderWorld and related issues, and
      although I've collated them and printed them out for more attentive
      reading later on, here you go with this to keep you going! Good
      stuff. In dealing with these things, and with the American approach
      to them, we are confronted not only with distortions of time, place,
      and culture, but also with the fact that, for at least the
      pre-Columbians, ambiguity was not only tolerated, but delighted in.
      Life is a tumbling, bouncing ball of chaos, right? - even though there
      is a higher level of wisdom keeping things together. This artistic
      sense of multiple aspects of deities - multi-valency in how they
      interact and interchange - can be confounding for those of us that
      like clear answers and orderly maps.

      Perhaps the material I post here can be used as a touchstone and
      reference for what is out there already on this subject. Further
      comments by others can then avoid misquotation, use them for their own
      research, etc.

      Not included below is Robert Powell's material on the subject, which
      is not terribly different than Steiner's, most particularly in its
      excluive emphasis on its negative, "Qliphotic" aspects. If any of you
      do not have this, let me know, and I will File it.

      > Everyone over the mythic boards
      of science and anyone who claims to study Spiritual Science must
      stand on the ground of the ninefold inner core of Earth mysteries
      and at least one aspect of the Mothers.

      > Norse, Aztec, Dante, Spiritual Science, Theosophy, Christianity and
      The Sermon on the Mount....Christ HImself, tells us of the alchemy
      of this ninefoldness and once again...Ninefoldness up/Ninefoldness
      down/and Ninefoldness in each human being...brings us dead center
      with the I AM Structure of the Foundations Stone, Spiritual Science
      and the Dodecahedron that Steiner shattered Science and history
      with. Duh, we really don't grasp the shock of this stunning
      historical deed yet do we?

      Steinerian and Mesoamerican UnderWorlds

      Subnatural levels in Anthroposophy and Mesoamerica

      The formulation by Rudolf Steiner of the Nine Layers of Evil within
      the Earth, from At the Gates of Spiritual Science (alternatively: At
      the Gate of Theosophy), GA 95, lecture 14 in cycle I, of Sept. 4,
      1906, Stuttgart. Rudolf Steiner Press, 1986, pp. 138-140:

      The occult science of all epochs says the following about the interior
      of the earth…

      1. The topmost layer, the mineral mass, is related to the interior as
      an eggshell is to the egg. This topmost layer is called the Mineral Earth.
      2. Under it is a second layer, called the Fluid Earth; it consists of
      a substance to which there is nothing comparable on Earth. It is not
      really like any of the fluids we know, for all these have a mineral
      quality. This layer has specific characteristics: its substance begins
      to display certain spiritual qualities, which consist in the fact that
      as soon as it is brought into contact with something living, it
      strives to expel and destroy this life. The occultist is able to
      investigate this layer by pure concentration.
      3. The "Air Earth". This is a substance, which annuls feelings: for
      instance, if it is brought into contact with any pain, the pain is
      converted into pleasure, and vice versa. The original form of feeling
      is, so to speak extinguished, rather as the second layer extinguishes
      4. The "Water Earth", or "Form Earth." It produces in the material
      realm the effects that occur spiritually in Devachan. There, we have
      the negative pictures of physical things. In the "Form Earth" a cube
      of salt, for example, would be destroyed, but its negative would
      arise. The form is as it were changed into its opposite; all its
      qualities would pass out into its surroundings. The actual space
      occupied by the object is left empty.
      5. The "Fruit Earth." This substance is full of exuberant energy.
      Every little part of it grows out at once like a sponge; it gets
      larger and larger and is held in place only by the upper layers. It is
      the underlying life which serves the forms of the layers above it.
      6. The "Fire Earth." Its substance is essentially feeling and will.
      It is sensitive to pain and would cry out if it were trodden on. It
      consists, as it were, entirely of passions.
      7. The "Earth-mirror" or "Earth-reflector." This layer gets its name
      from the fact that its substance, if one concentrates on it, changes
      all the characteristics of the earth into their opposites. If the
      seer disregards everything lying above it and gazes down directly into
      this layer, and if then, for example, he places something green before
      him, the green appears as red; every color appears as its
      complementary opposite. A polaric reflection arises, a reversal of
      the original. Sorrow would be changed by this substance into joy.
      8. The "Divisive" layer. If with developed power one concentrates on
      it, something very remarkable appears. For example, a plant held in
      the midst of this layer appears to be multiplied, and so with
      everything else. But the essential thing is that this layer disrupts
      the moral qualities also. Through the power it radiates to the Earth's
      surface, it is responsible for the fact that strife and disharmony
      exist there. In order to overcome this disruptive force, men must work
      together in harmony.
      That is precisely why this layer was laid down in the Earth – so
      that men should be enabled to develop harmony for themselves. The
      substance of everything evil is prepared and organized there.
      Quarrelsome people are so constituted that this layer has a particular
      influence on them. This has been known to everyone who has written out
      of a true knowledge of occultism. Dante in his Divine Comedy calls
      this layer the Cain-layer. It was here that the strife between the
      brothers Cain and Abel had its source. The substance of this layer is
      responsible for evil having come into the world.
      9. The "earth-core." This is the substance through whose influence
      black magic arises in the world. The power of spiritual evil comes
      from this source.

      The only elaborating remarks are brief ones relating earthquakes and
      volcanic activity to the "evil passions" of man and the volatile
      "passion-layer in the interior of the earth."
      The correspondence which Eduard Schure discusses in the introduction
      to the lecture-cycle is that of the concentric regions of the Earth
      and the Old Saturn, Old Sun and Old Moon manvantaras which in later
      lectures are corresponded to the three Mothers.

      The natural reaction to this is: "That's dreadful! Why bother?" If
      it weren't that it was given by "der Doktor", it would seem to the
      results of a bad meal. No mollifying context is supplied; pity on the
      person who stumbles across this passage as his or her first
      introduction to Steiner's work! This is definitely Steiner at his
      worst and lays the foundation for an attitude as reflected in
      Querido's diagram which was have referred to elsewhere (endnote 4 here
      and American Chapters I, p. 62).

      The note to it reads:

      Figure 1-75 A diagram appearing in Rene Querido's Introduction to
      Rudolf Steiner's Spiritual Beings in the Heavenly Bodies and in the
      Kingdoms of Nature. Insofar as it goes, it is accurate, but the
      mistaken impression given is that this is the whole map. Granted,
      Steiner in his title (accurately translated) said only that he would
      address the Heavenly and Natural realms, but even in that, his
      treatment of the natural realms is sketchy at best.
      However, Querido, long-time President of Steiner's Anthroposophical
      Society in America, goes so far as to state what even his own diagram
      does not indicate:

      "The threefold hierarchical world (each comprising beings of three
      ranks) interpenetrates the three kingdoms of nature with the human
      being at the center."

      The diagram: Fig. 43 [cf. the Files section for Q's diagram]

      Although it is true that the human being does indeed occupy the Middle
      realm of the Worlds, the format as indicated is woefully
      out-of-balance: none of the spiritual worlds lying below the sensible
      world are indicated. That this flaw is not even noticed nor commented
      upon indicates the huge blind spot that most European-based
      spiritualities have for the UnderWorld, Orpheus and the like
      notwithstanding. All of the preceding images from natively American
      sources draw heavily upon the Inspirations that emanate from Below.
      There are pathways native to Europe that go there and we will
      investigate them in due course.)

      Although it may be remarked that at the time he made the above
      formulation, Dr. Steiner was speaking as a representative of the
      Theosophical Society, and hence may be somewhat excused for using the
      more florid and less discriminating idiom of that circle, it would
      then also have to be noted that some of the more illuminating remarks
      concerning positive aspects of the Earth-Being as cited above were
      also made at that same time. Judging from the tenor of these remarks,
      one would have no idea that he also can come up with things like this:

      "The silver-sparkling blue below, arising from the depths of the Earth
      and bound up with human weakness and error, is gathered into a picture
      of the Earth Mother. Whether she is called Demeter or Mary, the
      picture is of the Earth Mother. So it is that in directing our gaze
      downwards, we cannot do otherwise than bring together in Imagination
      all those secrets of the depths which go to make up the material
      Mother of all existence. While in all that which is concentrated in
      the flowing form above, we feel and experience the Spirit Father of
      everything around us. And now we behold the outcome of the working
      together of the Spirit Father with the Earth Mother, bearing so
      beautifully within itself the harmony of the earthly silver and the
      gold of the heights. Between the Father and the Mother we behold the Son."

      - The Four Seasons and the Archangels, lecture of Oct. 1923, p. 66.

      "It is a fact that in the occult regions of the earth what is prepared
      by the forging of Michael's Sword is carried to a subterranean altar
      in the process – to an Altar which is invisible and which really
      exists beneath the earth."

      - Youth's Search in Nature.

      Most peculiar.

      In the interests of completeness, we offer the following similar
      treatment by him, given on a prior occasion:

      Physical science as yet only knows of the terrestrial crust, a mineral
      layer which in fact is only like a thin skin at the surface of the
      earth. In reality the earth consists of a succession of concentric
      layers which we shall now describe:

      1) The mineral layer contains all the metals which are found in the
      physical bodies of everything that lives at the surface. This crust is
      formed like a skin around the living being of the earth. It is only a
      few miles in depth.

      2) The second layer can only be understood if we envisage a substance
      which is the very opposite of what we know. It is negative life, the
      opposite of life. All life is extinguished there. Were a plant or an
      animal plunged into it, it would be destroyed immediately. It would be
      totally dissolved. This second shell - half liquid - which envelopes
      the earth is truly a sphere of death.

      3) The third layer is a circle of inverted consciousness. All sorrow
      appears there as joy. And all joy is experienced as sorrow. Its
      substance, composed of vapors, is related to our feelings in the same
      negative manner as the second layer is in regard to life. If we now
      abstract these three layers by means, of our thinking we would then
      find the earth in the condition in which it was before the separation
      of the moon. If one is able by means of concentration to attain a
      conscious astral vision, one would then see the activities in these
      two layers: the destruction of life in the second and the
      transformation of feelings in the third.

      4) The fourth layer is known as water-earth, soul-earth, or
      form-earth, it is endowed with a remarkable property. Let us imagine a
      cube and now picture it reversed inasmuch as its substance is
      concerned. Where there was substance there is now nothing: the space
      occupied by the cube would now be empty while its substance, its
      substantial form, would now be spread around it; hence the term `earth
      of form.' Here this whirlwind of forms, instead of being a negative
      emptiness, becomes a positive substance.

      5) This layer is known as the earth of growth. It contains the
      archetypal source of all terrestrial life. Its substance consists of
      burgeoning, teeming energies.

      6) This fire-earth is composed of pure will, of elemental vital forces
      - of constant movement - shot through by impulses and passions, truly
      a reservoir of will forces. If one were to exert pressure on this
      substance it would resist.

      If now again in thought one were to abstract these last three layers
      just described, one would arrive at the condition in which our globe
      was when Sun, Moon and Earth were still interwoven.

      The following layers are only accessible to a conscious observation
      which is not only that of dreamless sleep but a conscious condition in
      deep sleep.

      7) This layer is the mirror of the earth. It is similar to a prism
      which decomposes everything that is reflected in it and brings to
      expression its complementary aspect; seen through an emerald it would
      appear red.

      8) In this layer everything appears fragmented and reproduced to
      infinity. If one takes a plant or a crystal and one concentrates on
      this layer the plant or the crystal would appear multiplied indefinitely.

      9) This last layer is composed of a substance endowed with moral
      action. But this morality is the opposite of the one that is to be
      elaborated on the earth. Its essence, its inherent force, is one of
      separation, of discord, and of hate. It is here in the hell of Dante
      that we find Cain the fratricide. This substance is the opposite of
      everything which among human beings is good and worthy. The activity
      of humanity in order to establish brotherhood on the earth diminishes
      the power of this sphere. It is the power of Love which will transform
      it inasmuch as it will spiritualize the very body of the Earth. This
      ninth layer represents the substantial origin of what appears on earth
      as black magic, that is, a magic founded on egoism.

      These various layers are connected by means of rays which unite the
      center of the earth with its surface. Underneath the solid earth there
      are a large number of subterranean spaces which communicate to the
      sixth layer, that of fire. This element of the fire-earth is
      intimately connected with the human will. It is this element which has
      produced the tremendous eruptions that brought the Lemurian epoch to
      an end. At that time the forces which nourish the human will went
      through a trial which unleashed the fire catastrophe that destroyed
      the Lemurian continent. In the course of evolution this sixth layer
      receded more and more toward the center and as a result volcanic
      eruptions became less frequent. And yet they are still produced as a
      result of the human will which, when it is evil and chaotic,
      magnetically acts on this layer and disrupts it. Nevertheless, when
      the human will is devoid of egoism, it is able to appease this fire.
      Materialistic periods are mostly accompanied and followed by natural
      cataclysms, earthquakes, etc. Growing powers of evolution are the only
      alchemy capable of transforming, little by little, the organism and
      the soul of the earth.

      The following is an example of the relationship that exists between
      the human will and telluric cataclysms: in human beings who perish as
      a result of earthquakes or volcanic eruptions one notices, during
      their next incarnation, inner qualities which are quite different.
      They bring from birth great spiritual pre-dispositions because,
      through their death, they were brought in touch with forces which
      showed them the true nature of reality and the illusion of material life.

      One has also noticed a relationship between certain births and seismic
      and volcanic catastrophes.

      During such catastrophes materialistic souls incarnate, drawn
      sympathetically by volcanic phenomena - by the convulsions of the evil
      soul of the earth. And these births can in their turn bring about new
      cataclysms because reciprocally the evil souls exert an exciting
      influence on the terrestrial fire. The evolution of our planet is
      intimately connected with the evolution of the forces of humanity and

      [Drawing No. 2 not included here]

      1. Mineral crust
      2. Negative life
      3. Inverted Consciousness
      4. Circle of forms
      5. Circle of growth
      6. Circle of fire
      7. Circle of decomposition
      8. Circle of fragmentation
      9. Ego-centric-egoism

      - An Esoteric Cosmology, GA 92, lecture 16 of June 12, 1906, Paris:
      Earthquakes, Volcanoes, and the Will of Man.

      The first six strata are also briefly referred to, without much
      additional detail, in Steiner's lecture-cycle: The Deed of Christ and
      the Opposing Spiritual Powers: Lucifer, Ahriman, Mephistopheles,
      Asuras, GA 107, lecture 2 on Jan. 1, 1909, Berlin.

      Additional Steiner references (not reviewed):
      - The Interior of the Earth and Volcanic Eruptions. April 16, 1906,
      (GA 96).
      - Das Innere der Erde. April 21, 1906, Munich (GA 97).
      - Christian Initiation, (GA 96): Popularer Okkultismus, lecture 14,
      July 11, 1906, Leipzig (although the eLib lists no lecture for that date).
      - Seven Lectures to the Workmen, lecture 2.June 2, 1923, Dornach (GA 350).
      - The Forming of the Earth and the Moon, Causes of Volcanism. Sept.
      18, 1924, Dornach (GA 354).

      In all this he is at least consistent, although there is a complete
      lack of linkage or integration between these comments and his other
      equally sparse references to the Divine Feminine as found within the
      body of the Earth.

      Valentine Tomberg does review the subject:

      The right kind of fighting against human karma is the carrying, by
      mankind, of forgiveness and remission into the affairs of the world;
      for if Man will abandon the principle of "an eye for an eye, a tooth
      for a tooth", this principle will no longer be used against himself.
      The resistance to karma which was set up by the Turanian culture, was,
      how- ever, of quite a different type. In it Man strove to flee from
      individual karmic responsibility into a "we-consciousness", and the
      "we-humanity" was striving in its turn to escape the universal human
      karma, by seeking refuge in the Subterranean Spheres. The crushing of
      individuality in the womb of the "we-consciousness," was the one side
      of the Turanian endeavour; the other side was the turning of this
      we-totality towards the principles and forces of the Subterranean
      Spheres, especially to that Subterranean Sphere called the "Fire-
      Earth", which represents the region of Ahriman's power within the
      terrestrial organism. It would never have occurred to Man to take
      refuge in the interior of the Earth, if the betrayal of the Vulcan
      Mysteries - of which Rudolf Steiner speaks in An Outline of Occult
      Science - had not taken place in the Atlantean Epoch. It was precisely
      these "betrayed" Vulcan-mysteries - that is, Mysteries given over to
      Evil and inversely realized by Evil - which constituted, although in a
      weakened form compared with that of the Atlantean Epoch, the spiritual
      basis of the Turanian civilisation. The fundamental truth of the
      Vulcan Mysteries was that the highest goal of terrestrial evolution
      consisted in the complete conversion of the Interior of the Earth
      through the agency of Man. This, moreover, is the reason why Rudolf
      Steiner chose the name "Vulcan" for the seventh and highest state of
      Earth's evolution. This name is enigmatic so long as we try to find a
      planet which would indicate the future Vulcan-condition, in the same
      way as "Jupiter" and "Venus" indicate two conditions of the future.
      But the enigma disappears if we seek the corresponding heavenly body,
      not in Heaven, but in the Interior of the Earth, whither, indeed, the
      Greek mythology has relegated it. The truth of the matter is that
      there is no planet Vulcan, but that this "planet" is hidden in the
      Interior of the Earth. Now when the time arrives that the Earth is
      turned completely inside out (a relevant idea of this inversion is
      given, from the standpoint of the etheric, in Dr. G. Wachsmuth's work
      on the Etheric Formative Forces of the terrestrial organism), the
      objective phenomenon of the Vulcan-planet will make its appearance,
      encircled by a spiritualised ring of the former terrestrial humanity.
      Then will mankind, in conjunction with the Father-forces of the
      universe, be faced with the tremendous task of converting the lowest
      Evil into the highest Good.
      The fundamental thought of the betrayed Vulcan Mysteries was,
      precisely, to misinterpret the spiritual state of things indicated
      above, in such a way that it would become its opposite. The Earth's
      Interior was not regarded by them as the object of the highest
      conquest of future Man, but as the source of his highest conquering
      forces. And this highest conquest which would be attained, with the
      help of the Vulcan-forces, consisted in overcoming the "curse" of the
      Father, that is, in overcoming pain, toil and death. It was hoped, for
      instance, to put an end to all pain through the forces of the
      "Air-Earth" (the third subterranean sphere), which kill feeling, and
      by applying the energy of the "Fruit-Earth's" luxuriant growth, in
      conjunction with the "technical" forces of the "Fire-Earth," to
      achieve freedom from all toil. And it was hoped that still deeper
      strata of the Earth's Interior would give that terrestrial immortality
      which Rudolf Steiner calls "the Ahrimanic ideal of immortality" -
      which, actually, would be no immortality at all, but "deathlessness,"
      that is, an escape from the primal karmic necessity of death into a
      region whither this necessity does not extend.
      These intentions were active in the foundations of the Turanian
      civilisation, and determined many of its details: for instance, the
      kind of communism extending even into family life, which was peculiar
      to the Turanian civilisation. In this fact was expressed the
      "we-consciousness" of Turanianism; for instance, its inner bias
      towards the Interior of the Earth was shown in its hostility to
      agriculture. For if Man's hand furrows the Earth with the plough and
      scatters seeds which are brought to growth and fruition by means of
      the warmth, light and rain of Heaven, he is carrying out a deed in
      conjunction with heaven, which stands in deepest contrast to the
      alliance with the Earth's Interior.
      For this reason the great Zarathustra taught the small Iranian
      community which had gathered round him, agriculture, as a religious
      duty of Man. To the Ancient Indian, agriculture was a servitude
      exacted by nature; to the Turanian, it was something hostile; to the
      Ancient Persian, whose life was necessarily spent in hard toil among
      sterile mountains, it was, nevertheless, the earthly expression of
      fidelity to Ahura-Mazdao.
      The fact that Zarathustra attributed religious significance to
      agriculture, points to what was the essential part of Zarathustra's
      wisdom, and of the Ancient Persian culture-impulse resulting from it.

      Tomberg, Anthroposophical Studies of the Old Testament, Candeur
      Manuscripts, 1985 (from the German of 1933), pp. 153 – 155

      Elsewhere, Tomberg does develop the theme of the Divine Feminine
      somewhat more than Steiner, but in a cautious manner which reflects
      his anthroposophical background. In the remarks quoted above he shows
      no independent point of view towards the "Inner Earth."

      There is a correspondence - of sorts - to these levels as described
      in Aztec lore:

      …the Aztecs conceived of their cosmos as containing three superimposed
      sections: the heavens, the surface of the earth, and the underworld.
      An ensemble of pictorial and written sources, including the Codex
      Vaticano Latino 3738, shows us that the vertical ordering of the
      cosmos consisted of thirteen celestial layers rising above the earth,
      culminating in the realm of Omeyocan, the "Place of Duality," and nine
      layers below the earth, ending in Mictlan, the "Place of the Dead."
      This dense vertical column was joined by the central region,
      Tlalticpac, the "Earth Surface." The Iynchpin was the city of
      At the time of the Spanish contact, thirteen deities inhabited the
      thirteen levels, which were designated the "Sky of the Paradise of the
      Rain God," the "Sky of the Star-Skirted Goddess," the "Sky of the
      Sun," the "Sky of the Salt-Fertility God," the "Sky Where Gyrating
      Occurs," the "Sky That Is Blackish," the "Sky That Is Blue-Green," the
      "Place That Has Corners of Obsidian Slabs," the "God Who Is White,"
      the "God Who Is Yellow," the "God Who Is Red," and the "Place of
      Duality." The gods associated with these levels were termed the Lords
      of the Day and are: Xiuhtecuhtli, Tlaltecuhtli, Chalchiuhtlicue,
      Tonatiuh, Tlazolteotl, Mictlantecuhtli, Cinteotl, Tlaloc,
      Quetzalcoatl, Texcatlipoca, Chalmecatecuhtli, Tlahuizcalpantecuhtli,
      and Citlalincue (not necessarily in that order).
      The layers below the earth had such names as the "Place for Crossing
      the Water," the "Place Where the Hills Crash Together," the "Obsidian
      Mountain," the "Place of the Obsidian Wind," the "Place Where the
      Banners Are Raised," the "Place Where People Are Pierced with Arrows,"
      the "Place Where People's Hearts Are Devoured," the "Obsidian Place of
      the Dead," and the "Place Where Smoke Has No Outlet." The gods
      associated with these levels were termed the Lords of the Night and
      are: Xiuhtecuhtli, Itztli or Tecpatl, Pilzintecuhtli, Cinteotl,
      Mictlantecuhtli, Chalchiuhtlicue, Tlazolteotl, Tepeyollotl, and Tlaloc
      (the typical order in this cycle).

      This information from Lopez Austin: The Human Body and Ideology, p.
      54, as cited in David Carrasco's: The City of Sacrifice, pp. 33 – 34,
      from and Mary Miller & Karl Taube, 1997 (from 1993), pp. 53 – 54.
      Since the earth-surface was considered one of the thirteen cosmic
      levels, only twelve celestial levels are named.

      Bruce Scofield has this listing, I include some of his commentary:

      The Lords of the Night

      In the codices that contain a tonalamatl are also pictorial diagrams
      suggesting a host of other arrangements and linkages between the
      day-signs, the gods, the directions, Day Lords, trees and birds. One
      important sequence was that of the Lord of the Night, also known as
      the Nine Figures. These nine gods of the night or underworld are found
      in both the Maya and Aztec traditions. The glyphs of the nine Maya
      gods have been identified, but the names of the gods themselves are
      not known and they have been labeled G-1 through G-9. The names of the
      Aztec gods in this series are well known and occupy a prominent place
      in the several codices that contain astrological and cosmological
      In the frontispiece of the Codex Fejervary-Mayer the nine Lords of the
      Night are shown as part of the cosmic scheme…. In the center of the
      diagram is the god Xiuhtecuhtli, the Lord of Central Fire. In the
      region of the East, above the center, are Itzli, the sacrificial knife
      god, and Pilzintecuhtli, the Sun god. In the North are Tepeyollotl,
      the jaguar god, and Tlaloc, the rain god. In the West are
      Chalchihuitlicue, the water goddess, and Tlazolteotl, the filth
      goddess. In the region of the South are Cinteotl, the maize god, and
      Mictlantecuhtli, the god of the underworld. The usual order of the
      nine Lords is as follows with Quiauitecuhtli, a rain god, sometimes
      substituted for Tlaloc.

      1. Xiuhtecuhtli
      2. Itzli
      3. Pilzintecuhtli
      4. Cinteotl
      5. Mictlantecuhtli
      6. Chalchiuhtlicue
      7. Tlazolteotl
      8. Tepeyollotl
      9. Tlaloc

      …Throughout the Mesoamerican culture region, the cosmos was
      conceived as having 13 heavens above and 9 underworlds below. It is
      not clear whether those layers were stacked vertically (which is what
      some drawings suggest) or if they were arranged as a pyramid, with the
      center god standing at the apex or nadir.

      - Bruce Scofield, Signs of Time, One Reed Publications, 1999, pp. 86 –
      87, by kind permission. Also see the note to the Frontispiece image
      serves to illustrate this commentary.

      Now all of this is good information, but the question is: what does it
      mean? Something that should not be accepted uncritically - without a
      solid inner understanding of what was referred to by Steiner and the
      Aztecs (hardly the most evolved representatives of Mesoamerican
      sensibilities!) - is: do Steiner and the Aztecs refer to the same Nine
      Levels of the Under World?
      Regarding Steiner, one may ask: is he referring to nine levels within
      the Subnatural realm, the entire nine levels of a complete Underworld
      cosmos, or only to the devolved and degenerate levels of the latter?
      At any rate, the overall impression one gets from Steiner's take on
      this is that it is a very rough and crude sketch.
      Regarding the Aztec format, one cannot reliably say that one knows
      anything as a result of a tabulation of names and deity-associations
      such as I have mentioned. First of all, unless one knows who the
      deities are, their names signify nothing - that is, to one who is not
      intimately familiar with Nahuatl culture and spiritual practice.
      Secondly, even if one is, the next question is: Which Nahuatl culture?
      There are many - there were many, and the tabulation given here may
      or may not correspond to anything subscribed to by any one person in
      pre-Colombian fifteenth century, AD in Mesoamerica. The list given is
      probably made up of a compendium of fragmentary data from wildly
      disparate sources. That there was a widespread belief in an
      UnderWorld, that that cosmos was finely differentiated – probably into
      nine levels (this is a fairly confident assertion, since the Maya
      format is similar) and that there were great beings associated with
      different aspects of it, is all we can take in confidence from this
      arrangement. A simplistic parallelism of lists simply will not do if
      one is to be doing serious research into the question.
      Sifting through relics and second-hand information can only yield so
      much. To close, we will cite several passages from a modern adept,
      which will throw a different light upon our subject of what it is like
      when one goes "down" into the Earth:
    • holderlin66
      Message 154 of 154 , Jan 19, 2006
        We sometimes wait for some very solid commentary on thoughts we have
        raised and research we have made in the Michael School. Well here is
        some very solid commentary on some of our previous research
        together. The Nine Beatitudes and the Nine Woes were discussed way
        back under the above heading theme, but it took this amount of time,
        from then till now, to have something ripen in the thought world
        that could only be sketched at the time. And at that time, back
        then, we were considering the NINES, the depths of the Nines and its
        impact upwards into the Foundations Stone Meditation and the
        Ninefoldness lodged in Dante, the Norse, the Aztecs and at the core
        of the I AM structure. Some of you might remember this discussion.

        Below I bring the new aspects that the world provides for those who
        remain awake but not knowing where to apply the depth of the model
        of the Beatitudes to the structure of the human being and the
        science of being human, others offer the Michael School their best
        richness, if you can find it.

        And of course in all the wonderful threads that arise on this list,
        we naturally lose all navigational ordering and placement as to what
        we are looking for in ourselves and the universe. We Anthros
        actually lose what we were thinking about because we place so little
        value on it, yet the world continues to think and each person places
        a high value on their strivings. And if we came over some similar
        sounding territory, we, Anthros, would more than likely not
        recognize it if it bit us in the ass.

        Below is a very, very rich addition to the thoughts we unfolded
        regarding the Woes and the Sermon on the Mount.

        Pharisee Nation
        by John Dear

        "We have become a culture of Pharisees. Instead of practicing an
        authentic spirituality of compassion, nonviolence, love and peace,
        we as a collective people have become self-righteous, arrogant,
        powerful, murderous hypocrites who dominate and kill others in the
        name of God. The Pharisees supported the brutal Roman rulers and
        soldiers, and lived off the comforts of the empire by running an
        elaborate banking system which charged an exorbitant fee for
        ordinary people just to worship God in the Temple. Since they taught
        that God was present only in the Temple, they were able to control
        the entire population. If anyone opposed their power or violated
        their law, the Pharisees could kill them on the spot, even in the
        holy sanctuary.

        "Most North American Christians are now becoming more and more like
        these hypocritical Pharisees. We side with the rulers, the bankers,
        and the corporate millionaires and billionaires. We run the
        Pentagon, bless the bombing raids, support executions, make nuclear
        weapons and seek global domination for America as if that was what
        the nonviolent Jesus wants. And we dismiss anyone who disagrees with

        "We have become a mean, vicious people, what the bible calls "stiff-
        necked people." And we do it all with the mistaken belief that we
        have the blessing of God.

        "In the past, empires persecuted religious groups and threatened
        them into passivity and silence. Now these so-called Christians run
        the American empire, and teach a subtle spirituality of empire to
        back up their power in the name of God. This spirituality of empire
        insists that violence saves us, might makes right, war is justified,
        bombing raids are blessed, nuclear weapons offer the only true
        security from terrorism, and the good news is not love for our
        enemies, but the elimination of them. The empire is working hard
        these days to tell the nation--and the churches--what is moral and
        immoral, sinful and holy. It denounces certain personal behavior as
        immoral, in order to distract us from the blatant immorality and
        mortal sin of the U.S. bombing raids which have left 100,000 Iraqis
        dead, or our ongoing development of thousands of weapons of mass
        destruction. Our Pharisee rulers would have us believe that our wars
        and our weapons are holy and blessed by God.

        "In the old days, the early Christians had big words for such
        behavior, such lies. They were called "blasphemous, idolatrous,
        heretical, hypocritical and sinful." Such words and actions were
        denounced as the betrayal, denial and execution of Jesus all over
        again in the world's poor. But the empire needs the church to bless
        and support its wars, or at least to remain passive and silent. As
        we Christians go along with the Bush administration and the American
        empire, we betray Jesus, renounce his teachings, and create
        a "Church of Christ without Christ," as Flannery O'Connor foresaw.

        "Troublemaking Nonviolence, the Measure of the Gospel

        "The first thing we Christians have to do in this time is not to
        become good Pharisees. Instead, we have to try all over again to
        follow the dangerous, nonviolent, troublemaking Jesus. I believe
        war, weapons, corporate greed and systemic injustice are an
        abomination in the sight of God. They are the definition of mortal
        sin. They mock God and threaten to destroy God's gift of creation.
        If you want to seek the living God, you have to pit your entire life
        against war, weapons, greed and injustice--and their perpetrators.
        It is as simple as that.

        "Every religion, including Islam, Judaism, Hinduism and Buddhism, is
        rooted in nonviolence, but I submit that the only thing we know for
        sure about Jesus is that he was nonviolent and so, nonviolence is
        the hallmark of Christianity and the measure of authentic Christian
        living. Jesus commands that we love one another, love our neighbors,
        seek justice, forgive those who hurt us, pray for our persecutors,
        and be as compassionate as God. But at the center of his teaching is
        the most radical declaration ever uttered: "love your enemies."

        "If we dare call ourselves Christian, we cannot support war or
        nuclear weapons or corporate greed or executions or systemic
        injustice of any kind. If we do, we may well be devout American
        citizens, but we no longer follow the nonviolent Jesus. We have
        joined the hypocrites and blasphemers of the land, beginning with
        their leaders in the White House, the Pentagon and Los Alamos.

        "Jesus resisted the empire, engaged in nonviolent civil disobedience
        in the Temple, was arrested by the Pharisees, tried by the Roman
        governor and executed by Roman soldiers. If we dare follow this
        nonviolent revolutionary, we too must resist empire, engage in
        nonviolent civil disobedience against U.S. warmaking and imperial
        domination, and risk arrest and imprisonment like the great modern
        day disciples, Martin Luther King, Jr., Dorothy Day and Philip

        "If we do not want to be part of the Pharisaic culture and do want
        to follow the nonviolent Jesus, we have to get in trouble just as
        Jesus was constantly in trouble for speaking the truth, loving the
        wrong people, worshipping the wrong way, and promoting the wrong
        things, like justice and peace. We have to resist this new American
        empire, as well as its false spirituality and all those who claim to
        be Christian yet support the murder of other human beings. We have
        to repent of the sin of war, put down the sword, practice Gospel
        nonviolence, and take up the cross of revolutionary nonviolence by
        loving our enemies and discovering what the spiritual life is all

        "Just because the culture and the cultural church have joined with
        the empire and its wars does not mean that we all have to go along
        with such heresy, or fall into despair as if nothing can be done. It
        is never too late to try to follow the troublemaking Jesus, to join
        his practice of revolutionary nonviolence and become authentic
        Christians. We may find ourselves in trouble, even at the hands of
        so-called Christians, just as Jesus was in trouble at the hands of
        the so-called religious leaders of his day. But this very trouble
        may lead us back to those Beatitude blessings."

        holderlin previously wrote:

        Understanding the symptomology of the events of the world we can
        follow the political themes, the intellectual themes and lifes
        spiritual themes, under the heading of the wrong way to think about
        living reality. A building force of the shadow, the double, the
        failed concepts of education. The ninefold Foundation Stone and the
        ninefold failures of the inner corruption of the inner earth
        mysteries in the core of the human soul. Each Woe, could either be
        contrasted to a Beatitude or each Woe explored with current moral
        insights into our Political world. Stages and layers of corruption
        and deterioriation of the integration of the I AM complex with the
        internal core of the I AM.

        10 Neither be ye called masters: for one is your Master, even

        11 But he that is greatest among you shall be your servant.

        12 And whosoever shall exalt himself shall be abased; and he that
        shall humble himself shall be exalted.

        [ONE] 13 But woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for
        ye shut up the kingdom of heaven against men: for ye neither go in
        yourselves, neither suffer ye them that are entering to go in.

        [TWO] 14 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye
        devour widows' houses, and for a pretence make long prayer:
        therefore ye shall receive the greater damnation.

        [THREE] 15 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye
        compass sea and land to make one proselyte, and when he is made, ye
        make him twofold more the child of hell than yourselves.

        [FOUR] 16 Woe unto you, ye blind guides, which say, Whosoever
        shall swear by the temple, it is nothing; but whosoever shall swear
        by the gold of the temple, he is a debtor!

        17 Ye fools and blind: for whether is greater, the gold, or the
        temple that sanctifieth the gold?

        18 And, Whosoever shall swear by the altar, it is nothing; but
        whosoever sweareth by the gift that is upon it, he is guilty.

        19 Ye fools and blind: for whether is greater, the gift, or the
        altar that sanctifieth the gift?

        20 Whoso therefore shall swear by the altar, sweareth by it, and by
        all things thereon.

        21 And whoso shall swear by the temple, sweareth by it, and by him
        that dwelleth therein.

        22 And he that shall swear by heaven, sweareth by the throne of God,
        and by him that sitteth thereon.

        [FIVE] 23 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye
        pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the
        weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these
        ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

        24 Ye blind guides, which strain at a gnat, and swallow a camel.

        [SIX] 25 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye
        make clean the outside of the cup and of the platter, but within
        they are full of extortion and excess.

        26 Thou blind Pharisee, cleanse first that which is within the cup
        and platter, that the outside of them may be clean also.

        [SEVEN] 27 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye
        are like unto whited sepulchres, which indeed appear beautiful
        outward, but are within full of dead men's bones, and of all

        28 Even so ye also outwardly appear righteous unto men, but within
        ye are full of hypocrisy and iniquity.

        [EIGHT] 29 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites!
        because ye build the tombs of the prophets, and garnish the
        sepulchres of the righteous,

        30 And say, If we had been in the days of our fathers, we would not
        have been partakers with them in the blood of the prophets.

        31 Wherefore ye be witnesses unto yourselves, that ye are the
        children of them which killed the prophets.

        32 Fill ye up then the measure of your fathers.

        33 Ye serpents, ye generation of vipers, how can ye escape the
        damnation of hell?

        34 Wherefore, behold, I send unto you prophets, and wise men, and
        scribes: and some of them ye shall kill and crucify; and some of
        them shall ye scourge in your synagogues, and persecute them from
        city to city:

        [NINE] 35 That upon you may come all the righteous blood shed
        upon the earth, from the blood of righteous Abel unto the blood of
        Zacharias son of Barachias, whom ye slew between the temple and the

        36 Verily I say unto you, All these things shall come upon this

        37 O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and
        stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have
        gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens
        under her wings, and ye would not!

        38 Behold, your house is left unto you desolate. "

        Bradford concludes;

        Dementia the loss of coherent language, addictive dysfunctional
        behavior, vast, mass blocs of souls who block their own thinking
        and "strain at a gnat and swallow a camel". Just taking this phrase
        of the inability to see either truth or the essential form the non-
        essential, the idea of SPIN and current ideas that see clearly
        before ones eyes, not only a President with Dementia, but straight
        up Lies like the Downing Street Memo and our troupes dying for a lie
        but the Media, the giant media constantly straining for gnats so we
        can continue to swallow the camel...

        Sometimes we might refer to this as the Elephant in the room. But
        without a doubt if we take the Foundation Stone of the Nine in sets
        of Threes, we can measure the dementia going deeper and deeper into
        the vast deception and ahrimanic darkness of the I AM when we look
        at the Woes. In GWB we can see that his relation to the Archangel
        world and thinking and speech did not reach deeply enough with his
        after life experiences. GWB has come down into incarnation with
        deliberate incapacities in the area where thinking, idealism,
        speech, the Word and sense of I AM might be alive, aren't in him

        What he has done and what others can testify they have done with
        drugs, drinking, cocaine, and malicious rebellion and self
        destructive behavior is a litany of crippling, killing, numbing and
        rejecting the higher soul faculties. It would be merciful, as with
        Ronald Reagan to watch his internal capacities dissolve. But what
        tragedy does a country have and do individuals maintain in
        themselves if they do not seek the idealism of thought, poetry,
        music and intuition out of ever deeper and more intimate regions of
        the I AM. For the I AM is nourished and becomes the sensitive core
        of higher and higher birthing of faculties.

        These higher faculties take us upwards into the vast regions that
        the Foundations Stone and the Dodecahedron of Steiner' explore.