Continuity

  • Stephen Clarke
    Message 1 of 60 , Sep 2, 2005
      Dear Dottie:

      <dottie_z@y...> wrote:

      > Now, the Vorstand may have done this and done that and
      > done this and done that. So the fuck what....

      Fair enough, Dottie. I will tell you why all this rehashing of "what
      went wrong" and "who did what when" and all that is so very important.

      There is an esoteric principle of continuity. If one is working with
      an actual spiritual stream, it is not something that is only "out
      there" and which comes down from the sky in the Now for us to reach
      out and plug into. Yes, it is that, but it will also be something
      that has history in culture, in the biographies of those who took
      repsonsiblity for it, made it their own, and brought it forward into
      the present for us. This is why Rudolf Steiner tried to work within
      the Theosophical Society for as long as he could - until they excluded
      him. This is also why he insisted that his teachings be linked to him
      personally - not out of egotism, but because they bear his personal
      stamp, for better and for worse and it would be Ahrimanic for people
      to get the impression that they were nothing but disembodied cosmic
      wisdom for which he was the channel.

      If we wish to work within anthroposophy we cannot reinvent the wheel
      all by ourselves, even if we go back to First Principles like Joel
      encourages us to do. That is necessary, just as it is necessary for
      each of us be able to cut loose from what is circumstantial and
      eliminate the middlemen and go directly to God. But it is also
      necessary for each of us to understand our precedents in time and
      space; to honor our ancestors, in other words, by taking up what they
      have left for us, to carry forward the burdens that they have carried
      forward for us into our own contemporary circumstances (this also
      Joel does, BTW). In an authentic spiritual path, there is an unwritten
      contract that one will assume responsibility for what has gone before
      and try to heal what others have left undone, or done poorly, for only
      to that extent can one's own work find its own unfoldment within that
      stream. If someone wishes to bring something new into that stream,
      then this obligation is doubled, even if only to earn and demonstrate
      the credilbilty required to those who _are_ competent in the
      methodolgy involved in that particular pathway. Otherwise you are
      just a tourist and a lightweight do-gooder with no necessary
      commitment to what othrs have taken seriously.

      Evolution, not revolution, in other words. Sometimes that later is
      inevitable, but, like war, it shold only be a last resort, and
      something which is forced upon one by circumstances beyond control. In
      the case of esoteric endeavor, that means transpersonal cycles of
      change, for instance. Even then, there is continuity, but it goes
      underground.

      Now I have made the evaluation both that I have been occultly excluded
      from the Society and that the Society is outwardly dead. But my
      commitment has simply gone deeper, into a broader connection with the
      Movement. Brad calls it the Michael School. Whatever. I still have
      my commitment to Rudolf Steiner and those connections allow me to
      weigh in on these issues from a differnt perspective that some of the
      others here might have.

      Does that explain?

      Stephen
      Message 60 of 60 , Sep 14, 2005
        Okay, I shall check on it. This book has some serious
        issues in it as for example the chapter noted as being
        Chapter 8 has the inside pages noted as Chapter 7. And
        I think its going to have to go into reprint as it is
        one that speaks directly to this understanding of the
        Being Anthroposophia in the community and the
        importance of continuing forward as a Society that has
        impact.

        Best,

        http://mail.yahoo.com