One for Frank the ball park Smith

  • holderlin66
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 4, 2005

      "A close compatriot of President Bush squats in a scandal so
      malodorous it led news shows from coast to coast. It's a scandal
      that some say is too hot for Bush to comment on. But there was the
      President, speaking without a stammer or stutter on this issue of
      pressing national concern.

      There was only one curious twist. The scandalized bosom buddy was
      not the bosomy Karl Rove, but Baltimore Orioles first baseman Rafael
      Palmeiro. Yes, in an era of war and economic crisis, Bush took time
      to rush to the defense of a four-time All-Star who has become the
      highest profile casualty of Major League Baseball's steroid testing
      program.

      Bush called Palmeiro a "friend" and said, "He's testified in public
      [to being clean], and I believe him.... Still do." Presidential
      lickspittle Scott McClellan also made clear at a White House press
      briefing that Palmeiro has the full support of the Oval Office.

      It no doubt will puzzle future generations (or present ones, for
      that matter) why the President felt compelled to comment on what a
      40 year old ballplayer may or may not have ingested. But the reasons
      are clear enough. This is a case of how the Bush administration's
      Politics of Distraction have turned around to nip the President in
      the tush. It all began at the January 2003 State of the Union
      address when Bush inexplicably took time to talk tough on steroids.
      As New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady grinned next to the
      First Lady, Bush put the plague of steroids on the front burner of
      the national consciousness. This was Politics of Distraction 101, a
      classic ploy to give the public something to chew over instead of
      those two pesky countries the US armed forces happened to be
      occupying.

      But a fly flew into the flaxseed oil when bankrupt former all-star,
      Jose Canseco attempted to capitalize on steroid mania by releasing
      an inject-and-tell book called, appropriately enough, Juiced. In
      Juiced, Canseco names every buttock that cozied up to his all-star
      syringe. Two of those cheeks, Canseco revealed, belonged to
      Palmeiro. The repercussions were immediate. Palmeiro had always
      presented himself as a Holy Joe, a rock ribbed Republican, a podium
      thumper for the American Dream. Thanks to Canseco, Palmeiro found
      himself subpoenaed and forced to testify in front of congress last
      March. Grimacing with indignation, Palmeiro wagged his finger and
      said under oath," Let me start by telling you this: I have never
      used steroids. Period. I don't know how to say it any more clearly
      than that. Never."

      The performance was convincing. So convincing Palmeiro was even
      named to a Congressional committee that would work to "clean up the
      sport." Canseco was the liar. Palmeiro the hero dragged through the
      mud. Never mind that after Canseco joined the Texas Rangers
      Palmeiro's home run averages jumped from 19 per year to 37. Never
      mind because the steely-eyed Palmeiro made you believe that his
      anger was righteous. Now, in the wake of this latest test, he looks
      like the one thing worse that a liar: a sanctimonious liar. As Tom
      Boswell of the Washington Post wrote, "In this culture, heaven help
      you if, after playing that once-per-lifetime, I-swear-on-a-stack-of-
      Bibles card, you get caught."

      But Palmeiro thinks he can whip out those Bibles for an encore. In a
      teleconference Monday, Palmeiro said, "When I testified in front of
      Congress, I know that I was testifying under oath and I told the
      truth. Today I am telling the truth again ...I have never
      intentionally used steroids. Never. Ever. Period." [the guy has to
      lay off the periods.]

      Palmeiro's state of disgrace also means that we are now treated to
      the sight of Canseco, last seen living with Omarosa and
      Bronson "Balki" Pinchot on VH1's "The Surreal Life", posturing like
      Abe Lincoln, parading around talk shows saying things like (and I
      love this quote) "Palmeiro test proves that almost everything in my
      book is true."

      If we are now to accept Canseco's book as holy writ, we should also
      remember that his Texas Rangers team had an owner named George W.
      Bush who Canseco describes as "most certainly knowing" that the
      players were on the juice. This went wildly underreported when the
      book was released, largely because Canseco's credibility was in
      constant question. Now that Canseco has morphed into Honest Abe, we
      should start asking whether Bush should receive the next
      congressional subpoena about steroids in sports. We should ask what
      Bush actually knows and when did he know it. We should press
      Palmeiro on what his friend in the owner's box, the former
      cheerleader from Yale, did and did not allow. We should take these
      Politics of Distraction, which Bush hoisted into our lives and drop
      the whole stinking, steaming, anabolic load on his front door.
    • shersy17@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 4, 2005

        In a message dated 8/4/05 10:03:20 AM, holderlin66@... writes:

        If we are now to accept Canseco's book as holy writ, we should also
        remember that his Texas Rangers team had an owner named George W.
        Bush who Canseco describes as "most certainly knowing" that the
        players were on the juice. This went wildly underreported when the
        book was released, largely because Canseco's credibility was in
        constant question. Now that Canseco has morphed into Honest Abe, we
        should start asking whether Bush should receive the next
        congressional subpoena about steroids in sports

        wow! never thought of that!
        thanks, will pass this one on!
        Sherry
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 4, 2005
          holderlin66 wrote:
          > http://www.commondreams.org/views05/0803-28.htm
          >

          > Bush called Palmeiro a "friend" and said, "He's testified in public
          > [to being clean], and I believe him.... Still do." Presidential
          > lickspittle Scott McClellan also made clear at a White House press
          > briefing that Palmeiro has the full support of the Oval Office.

          Grimacing with indignation, Palmeiro wagged his finger and
          > said under oath," Let me start by telling you this: I have never
          > used steroids. Period. I don't know how to say it any more clearly
          > than that. Never."

          Grimacing with indignation, Frank says: I have never used steroids;
          semicolon.