Miryam102

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 2 6:07 AM
      My decision was: I will go later to the supper, after the lamb has been
      eaten and the bones cleared away.

      The sun had gone down red under the smoke from the fires, and the moon rose
      high, almost full, and I still ran through the alleys like one who had no
      family and hadn't been invited to the Seder meal.

      People spoke to me twice, taking me for homeless or poor and wanting to take
      me home with them, as is every Jew's duty. But also: two men spoke to me:
      you, a Jewess, aren't at the meal? Or aren't you a Jewess? Anyway, you're
      pretty, come, we'll pay you well.

      They grabbed me, I broke free, they chased me, I fought with hands and feet,
      they fought too, and ripped off my cloak. Then I got away from them. My
      cloak lay on the ground. I remembered something: "The guards found me on
      their rounds through the city, the wall guards took away my cloak". The
      night was cold. I froze. I ran to Veronica's to ask for a wrap of some kind.

      Are you crazy to run around tonight? And how you look! Come in, we're just
      stating the Hallel.

      I can't, let me go.

      She gave me a shawl of white wool, nice and warm, but white. We didn't
      realize that the whiteness acted as a signal in the moonlit night. And we
      couldn't guess what a puzzle that white shawl would pose for those who were
      with us later on the Mount of Olives. A white form of light, an angel with a
      chalice full of consolation. Too much.

      But that hadn't happened yet. I sought out a dark corner from where I could
      see the door of the house in which our people would have the Seder meal. I
      heard footsteps. I recognized his among them all. Before he entered he
      turned and looked in my direction. I held my breath until the door had
      closed behind him and the others. I stood there and stared at the window
      behind which there was light, and I heard the songs and the blessings and
      knew what was happening: now the host blesses the first cup, now they wash
      their hands, now they dip the herbs in the salty water and eat them, now the
      host blesses the matzo and puts a piece aside, now the host begins to read
      the story of the departure from Egypt, now they sing the Hallel.

      I didn't hear the words. I looked up at the moon which, waning, hung
      gloomily over the temple mount, and then I saw a cat slinking over a wall
      toward a crevice in which a dove sat. Such bitter anger overcame me that I
      threw a stone at it and yelled: Thou shalt not kill!

      I didn't hit it, it sprang over the wall, the dove fluttered off. Murder,
      murder everywhere. I gnashed my teeth, like Yehuda.

      Yehuda: now he is at the table, now he drinks some wine, now he eats a piece
      of matzo, now he dips the bitter herb in the stewed fruit, now he eats the
      bitter herb between two pieces of Matzo, now he drinks from the second cup.
      And always together with Yeshua, always under Yeshua's gaze. How can he
      stand it? Now they bring the roasted lamb. That they can eat on this night!
      Doesn't it stick in anyone's throat? Doesn't anyone choke on a bone?

      That smell of roasted flesh. I feel sick. So many lambs killed. Murder,
      murder. I return to my corner. They are finished eating. They sing the final
      prayer. Now they drink from the third cup.

      The door opens and someone comes out, ducks into the shadow of the wall,
      stays there a moment, then runs away as though being chased. Where is he
      going? What remains for him to do?

      In the room they began to sing the third part of the Hallel. Time for me. I
      knocked the agreed signal on the door, someone let me in, I went up the
      stone stairs, entered the room and looked for my place at the table. Yeshua
      pointed to it: at the end of the table. His mother sat at the other end. The
      place opposite him remained unoccupied. It remained unoccupied forever.

      No one asked me why I had come so late. Afterwards Yochanan told me that the
      rabbi said when I was still missing: Let's start, she'll come at the right
      time.

      The meal was over. Yeshua stood and accompanied the guests to the door. He
      gave us a sign to stay. We sat down again. What would come now? Yeshua had a
      bowl brought in, a pitcher of water and a large linen cloth. What for, we
      had already washed our hands.

      It wasn't hands that were to be washed. Yeshua placed the bowl and pitcher
      on the floor, girded his robe high and kneeled before those who sat on his
      right and left: Shimon. He jumped up: "Rabbi, what are you doing? Sand up, I
      beg you!

      Sit down, Shimon, so that I can wash your feet.

      Frank Thomas Smith
      http://SouthernCrossReview.org
    • holderlin66
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 2 11:55 AM

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 2 7:22 PM
          Stephen H:
          And the consolation would be one of soothing, loving
          > words about how great thou art. I know. I experienced it!

          And what would your experience be, Stephen?

          All good things,
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 2 7:33 PM
            Hey Everyone,

            Continuing on in my Exodus reading I came to a part of
            the scripture where God wanted to kill Moses, but his
            wife made a covenant with God with her sons flesh. I
            am wondering if anyone has any thoughts on that? And
            to note, wow, to note that it was God who originated
            the idea of killing the first born amongst the non
            jews, yet during Christ's time it was the Jews who
            were so threatened. And if one looks at all the
            supposed killings by God from the signs of horror he
            brought upon the people it would seem there wouldn't
            be any people to be so afflicted from what is being
            said. I find it is in the number of inflictions we can
            find the mystery.

            Then I am coming to a part wherein we find that Moses
            needed miracle after miracle sign to get people to
            believe in God. Yet, Jesus needed none but the woman
            at the well. I wonder if that is really what is so
            appalling to the Jews: Jesus invited them all to the
            table irregardless of birthrite amongst the physical
            blood ties or that of being a Jew.

            Funny how it is noted that Miryam is not only the
            sister but also the mother according to some of the
            jewish womens understandings. But I shall have to ask
            my Rabbi. And how is it that the Pharoah would not
            recognize his daughters son?

            Just thinking,

            http://mail.yahoo.com