Southern Cross Review.org Nr. 41

    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 1 1:39 AM
      Dear Friends,

      The July issue of Southern Cross Review is already on your cyber doorstep.
      Just open the door to http://SouthernCrossReview.org .

      Our Table of Contents is long this issue. The "Editor's Page" begins by
      comparing the United States with George Orwell's "Animal Farm" - with the
      question: when are the animals (metaphor - no insult meant) who still
      support the present administration going to wake up? In "Letters" the
      letters are few, but not uninteresting.

      In "Politics and Society", the lead article is mostly reproduced from a
      "Popular Mechanics" investigation into the 9/11 conspiracy theories. The
      report decisively rebuts all the so-called conspiracy "facts" currently
      polluting the web on this question. We also reproduce the complete text of
      George Galloway's statement to the U.S. senate. We don't know if Galloway is
      on the level or not, but he sure has chutzpah. Then there's a speech by Bill
      Moyers in which he describes the pressures from the White House on the
      media, especially public radio. There's been a lot of talk lately about the
      possible relation between vaccinations and autism. Who knows whom to
      believe? Robert F. Kennedy Jr. (a future presidential candidate if I ever
      saw one - but why hope?) has looked into the questions and is convinced that
      the relation is real. Don't miss it! An article about the globalization
      movement by Gavin Tang follows.

      In "Education", journalist Todd Oppenheimer describes his investigation into
      Waldorf education in the U.S. You won't be surprised to learn that his
      conclusions are positive. Eugene Schwartz, a long-time Waldorf educator,
      goes into the question of whether Waldorf schools are religious, spiritual,
      or not - or what. If you want to see truly objective answers, read this. A
      historical article on Waldorf education by Stewart Easton brings up the
      rear.

      Our old-time readers will remember the "Children's Corner", which
      disappeared a couple of years ago. It is resuscitated now, (in English and
      Spanish) and will continue, especially if we get some positive feedback.

      Rudolf Steiner's autobiography continues under "Anthroposophy".

      Interviews of the very famous and the not so famous (at least outside of
      Italy) are offered. An old but revealing interview by Ron Rosenbaum with Bob
      Dylan, and one by Gaither Stewart with Natalia Ginzburg, a very interesting
      Italian writer. This interview, by the way, is the title essay in Stewart's
      new book of essays, some of which originally appeared in SCR. It is
      available free of charge as an Ebook from SCR.

      "Science and Technology" brings us another insightful essay by Steve
      Talbott, this time about what he calls New York Times columnist Thomas
      Friedman's "barren vision" of India's technological development. Bradford
      McKee worries, and rightfully so, about today's children being alienated
      from nature. And Don Cruse discusses the ideas of some noteworthy
      personalities with Ken McClure.

      The "Fiction" section is full this time, with one of your editor's more
      sinful stories. The growing popularity of the tango isn't the only reason to
      re-publish one of Argentina's leading author's (Luisa Valenzuela's) story.
      It's about people with a tango beat background. Our serialized fiction
      continues with Luise Rinser's "Miryam", my "Frequent Flyer" and the start of
      George Orwell's "1984".

      Some poems by Adrienne Rich grace the Table of Content's bottom line.

      Enjoy!

      Frank Thomas Smith
      http://SouthernCrossReview.org
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 1 4:20 AM
        > Frank Thomas Smith
        >
        > Grandma Butterfly
        >
        > http://southerncrossreview.org/41/grandma.htm
        >
        > Frank, this is just a fine, fine, fine tale, worthy of any gathering,
        > yikes, it was good. It doesn't get much better than that..What a great
        > tale.

        Thanks, Bradford.
        Frank
      • holderlin66

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 1 10:16 PM
            Dear Frank,
            I'll cut to the chase - this Gavin Tang (also quoted by Holderlin), I would
            really like to have clarified that he is not one and the same Gavin Tang
            from Australia? Any chance you could post a picture or at least find this
            out. Much appreciated.

            Mike T

> [...]
            >Talbott, this time about what he calls New York Times columnist Thomas
            >Friedman's "barren vision" of India's technological development. Bradford
            >McKee worries, and rightfully so, about today's children being alienated
            >from nature. And Don Cruse discusses the ideas of some noteworthy
            >personalities with Ken McClure.
            >
            >The "Fiction" section is full this time, with one of your editor's more
            >sinful stories. The growing popularity of the tango isn't the only reason
            >re-publish one of Argentina's leading author's (Luisa Valenzuela's) story.
            >It's about people with a tango beat background. Our serialized fiction
            >continues with Luise Rinser's "Miryam", my "Frequent Flyer" and the start
            >of
            >George Orwell's "1984".
            >
            >Some poems by Adrienne Rich grace the Table of Content's bottom line.

            REALESTATE: biggest buy/rent/share listings
            http://ninemsn.realestate.com.au
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 2 12:00 PM
              Mike,
              I think he is the same one.
              Frank

              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 2 11:18 PM
                Ok Thanks for that.

> [...]
                >Bradford
                > > >McKee worries, and rightfully so, about today's children being
                >alienated
                > > >from nature. And Don Cruse discusses the ideas of some noteworthy
                > > >personalities with Ken McClure.
                > > >
                > > >The "Fiction" section is full this time, with one of your editor's more
                > > >sinful stories. The growing popularity of the tango isn't the only
                >reason
                > > >re-publish one of Argentina's leading author's (Luisa Valenzuela's)
                >story.
                > > >It's about people with a tango beat background. Our serialized fiction
                > > >continues with Luise Rinser's "Miryam", my "Frequent Flyer" and the
                >start
                > > >of
                > > >George Orwell's "1984".
                > > >
                > > >Some poems by Adrienne Rich grace the Table of Content's bottom line.

                SEEK: Over 80,000 jobs across all industries at Australia's #1 job site.
                http://ninemsn.seek.com.au?hotmail