changing email address again

  • Tarjei Straume
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 2, 2005
      This is what happens after a while when an email address is published:

      In addition to spam, you also get virus attacks and pranks. I've been
      getting a lot of mails from service@... and support@... telling
      me that my account is about to be closed unless I open an attachment or
      click on a link to find out more about it. So I forward these to
      abuse@..., who tell me that they can't trace the pranks.

      So the only option is to delete the targeted address and replace it with a
      new one. This requires some work, because I've had multiple subscriptions
      to this address, and Yahoo takes a couple of days to adjust to address
      changes for some reason, so you have to use a *temporary* subscription
      address until nothing comes in on the old one. After that, you can finally
      delete it and create a replacement.

      All of the above, a tiresome seance that usually has to be repeated at
      least twice a year, could be avoided if those among you who lack the
      know-how to delete email addresses from the quoted text, please refrain
      from commenting on my messages at all until you begin to use a more
      intelligent email program that does *not* quote full headings, like Eudora
      for instance.

      This is a test mail btw.

      Tarjei
    • Mike T
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 3, 2005
        Well Tarjei, I am sorry that you are having these problems. I still don't
        understand how it works. So when someone has their email address in the text
        of an email, how is it others pick that up? I mean is it automatic or
        robotic, or is it manually picked up?

        Can't someone just look under properties and find the address.

        Not understanding the problem, it was not possible in the first instance to
        avoid it. And even knowing, sometimes one forgets.

        I use Hotmail and just reply in hotmail. Would your spammers and virus
        attackers be immobilised if you used a free account? I just don't seem to
        have the problems you are talking about using hotmail.

        Cheers,
        Mike T

        >This is what happens after a while when an email address is published:
        >
        >In addition to spam, you also get virus attacks and pranks. I've been
        >getting a lot of mails from service@... and support@... telling
        >me that my account is about to be closed unless I open an attachment or
        >click on a link to find out more about it. So I forward these to
        >abuse@..., who tell me that they can't trace the pranks.
        >
        >So the only option is to delete the targeted address and replace it with a
        >new one. This requires some work, because I've had multiple subscriptions
        >to this address, and Yahoo takes a couple of days to adjust to address
        >changes for some reason, so you have to use a *temporary* subscription
        >address until nothing comes in on the old one. After that, you can finally
        >delete it and create a replacement.
        >
        >All of the above, a tiresome seance that usually has to be repeated at
        >least twice a year, could be avoided if those among you who lack the
        >know-how to delete email addresses from the quoted text, please refrain
        >from commenting on my messages at all until you begin to use a more
        >intelligent email program that does *not* quote full headings, like Eudora
        >for instance.
        >
        >This is a test mail btw.
        >
        >Tarjei

        Sell your car for $9 on carpoint.com.au
        http://www.carpoint.com.au/sellyourcar
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 4, 2005
          Tarjei, check out a program called Neomail. Your server has to get it. Then
          when you open your server's site with webmail attached,
          (server.com/webmail), the Neomail page appears with all the mails at your
          server but not yet downloaded by you. Say there are 50, 30 of which are
          spam. You just click on a box next to the ones you don't want to see and
          they are deleted (spam is, after all, easily identifiable). If my half-ass
          third world server uses it, I assume high tech Norway can figure it out. It
          works fine.
          Frank

          > Anyway, I'm going to have to delete my present temporary email address
          too,
          > because it's picked up all kinds of garbage. I have problems with another
          > one, but unfortunately it's on 500 business cards, so deleting it is not a
          > smart option.
          >
          > Tarjei
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Tarjei Straume
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 4, 2005
            At 11:43 03.06.2005, Mike T wrote:

            >I use Hotmail and just reply in hotmail.

            Maybe it's a good idea to use a Yahoo email account instead (if you prefer
            webmail). That way you don't have to remember to delete the quoted headings
            when posting to public forums. But if you check out settings and
            preferences in Hotmail, perhaps it's adjustable.