Was Steiner an "occult scientist" and "mystic"?

  • openwaldorf
    Message 1 of 117 , May 25, 2005
      Hi, I imagine some of you are familiar with my web site, OpenWaldorf.

      I don't want to stir things up, I simply have a quick question that I
      am trying to fact-check to insure the accuracy of my site.

      Recently, I mentioned the fact that Steiner was an "occult scientist"
      and "mystic". This statement was immediately latched on by an
      OpenWaldorf contributor to deride and chastise me as having a bias
      (and I'm assuming a negative bias.)

      You can find this thread here:

      http://tinyurl.com/9x32a

      I was sort of surprised that I was ridiculed for suggesting this about
      Steiner. It's something I've assumed to be true for years, based on
      statements like the following:

      Rudolf Steiner as an "a mystic and an occultist". (From the Rudolf
      Steiner Archive)
      Link: http://tinyurl.com/8pqbz

      Steiner "began to emerge as an 'occultist'". (From the Anthroposophic
      Press)
      Link: http://tinyurl.com/8gmes

      Steiner as a "true occult scientist." (From The Science Group of the
      Anthroposophical Society in Great Britain)
      Link: http://tinyurl.com/d4szp

      It made me feel stupid and sleazy for calling him an "occult
      scientist" and "mystic", when I always assumed this was a simple
      biographical fact about him. It didn't seem demeaning to me. But all
      of a sudden, it was treated as a nasty thing to say.

      And if it is true, why would someone jump all over me for saying so?
      It just seemed weird.

      I'd appreciate any help clearing this up from folks who are more
      informed about Steiner and Anthroposophy.

      Thanks for the help,

      John
    • Tarjei Straume
      Message 117 of 117 , Jun 4, 2005
        At 15:32 03.06.2005, Pete wrote:

        >Steiner was neither a scientist or an educator and that's the difference.

        According to what authority? Yours? PLANS' The Pope? Or are you just
        playing Scrabble again, making up your own rules as you go along?