Re: [anthroposophy_tomorrow] Anarchy

  • Tarjei Straume
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 14, 2003
      bayou.blue wrote:

      > >Websters Dictionary defines the word Anarchy: 1. A social structure
      > >without government or law and order. [bayou.blue, therefore, does not
      > >understand the posting stating to the effect that anarchy is "common
      > sense."]
      > >
      > >Websters further defines the word Anarchy: 2. Utter confusion.
      > >
      > >bayou.blue sees this list as composed of a pathetic group of lost souls
      > >wandering haphazardly via e-mail in this "anarchsophy" medium as defined
      > >by Websters above.

      .... and I knee-jerked:

      >Feels good to be at home, doesn't it? But you're probably alone about
      >feeling pathetic. Been like that since childhood?

      I was one my way out the door and out of town, so I typed this crude
      response in a hurry. That is not my style, so although "bayou.blue" has
      unsubscribed, I will comment her post in detail:

      bayou.blue cites the entry "anarchy" in Webster's Dictionary, but she does
      not quote in full. Here is the complete entry from my 1976 edition:

      ANARCHY n [ML *anarchia*, fr. Gk, fr. *anarchos* having no ruler]
      1a: absence of government b: a state of lawlessness or political disorder
      due to the absence of governmental authority
      1b: a state of lawlessness or political disorder due to the absence of
      govenmental authority
      1c: a utopian society made up of individuals who have no government and who
      enjoy complete freedom
      2: absence of order: disorder
      3: anarchism

      (This is corroborated by the Merriam-Webster online at
      http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary .)

      We seem to have a case of selective reading here. For further study of what
      "anarchy" means according to definitions 1c and 3 above, I revommend the
      following links for starters:

      http://a4a.mahost.org/

      http://www.infoshop.org/

      http://www.practicalanarchy.org/

      http://www.zmag.org/AWatch/awatch.htm

      http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/4372/anaring.htm

      I'll go along with the suggestion that the subscribers to this list are
      "lost souls" in the sense "homeless souls." That is the lot of
      anthroposophists, and Rudolf Steiner talked about it a few times. He even
      said that in order for someone to become an initiate, he or she would first
      have to become a homeless soul. This means being primarily a citizen of the
      spiritual world and rising above all ties and prejudices connected to
      nationality, culture, race, tribe, family and blood. Goethe was like that.
      In his lifetime, armies were marching through Germany this way and the
      other, but it was of little concern to him, because he was a citizen of the
      world.

      The opinion that members of this group are pathetic, deserves no further
      comment, and it was senseless of me to mention it at all in my previous post.

      Cheers,

      Tarjei
      http://uncletaz.com/