Fly-by critics

  • Daniel Hindes
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2004
      Some time ago when I thought the MBA would be useful, I took a graduate
      course on Organizational Management. One of the case studies was the M&M
      Mars Corporation run by two billionaire brothers whose family had started
      the Mars confectionery company. These Mars brothers were used as an example
      of how not to manage. Their middle managers had found a name for their
      management style, and called it Fly-By Management. The Mars brothers would
      fly in from corporate headquarters, spend a single morning or afternoon
      poking around, upbraid everyone for incompetence, tell everyone how horrible
      everything was and what needed fixing, and then fly off again. This struck
      the middle managers as something like a seagull that would fly in, crap, and
      fly off again, hence the name. For future business managers there were
      obvious lessons in leadership and morale, as well as responsibility and
      follow-through.

      In relating this I am reminded of certain "critics" of Anthroposophy who
      swoop in, crap all over, and fly off again. The style is similar, and the
      results are likely to be the same: a bunch of annoyed people who are
      wondering: what's the point?

      Daniel Hindes