Anarchosophy Revisited

  • Tarjei Straume
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2004
      I have just discovered another anarchist Steiner bomb in John's apocalypse.
      Before I get to that, I'll remind you once more of my previous articles
      about this topic:

      ANTHROPOS ANARCHOS
      http://www.uncletaz.com/anthranark.html

      WHY "PHILOSOPHY OF FREEDOM" BY RUDOLF STEINER IS THE ANARCHIST BIBLE
      http://www.uncletaz.com/steinerbomb.html

      RUDOLF STEINER AND ANARCHISM
      http://www.uncletaz.com/anththranarch.html

      Related articles:

      ORIGIN OF FREEDOM AND EVIL
      http://www.uncletaz.com/origfreed.html

      THE CHILDREN OF LUCIFER AND THE BROTHERS OF CHRIST (Give me Liberty or give
      me death.)
      http://www.uncletaz.com/childlucifer.html

      Six years ago, I took the liberty of coining a more appropriate word for
      Rudolf Steiner's individualistic anarchism: Anarchosophy.

      "Until now, I have myself always avoided using the words 'individualistic'
      or 'theoretical anarchism' to describe my world view. Because I care very
      little for such labels. But if I, to the extent it is possible to determine
      such things, should say if the word 'individualistic anarchist' can be
      applied to me, I would have to answer with an unequivocal 'yes'."
      - Gesammelte Aufsätze zur Kultur- und Zeitgeschichte 1887-1901, GA 31, p. 261.

      In order to demonstrate this individualistic anarchism, or anarchosophy, in
      Rudolf Steiner's philosophy, I have been focusing for the most part on the
      tenth chapter of the PoF, where RS writes as follows:

      "The moral laws which the metaphysician who works by mere inference must
      regard as issuing from a higher power, are, for the adherent of monism,
      thoughts of men; for him the moral world order is neither the imprint of a
      purely mechanical natural order, nor that of an extra-human world order,
      but through and through the free creation of men. It is not the will of
      some being outside him in the world that man has to carry out, but his own;
      he puts into effect his own resolves and intentions, not those of another
      being. Monism does not see, behind man's actions, the purposes of a supreme
      directorate, foreign to him and determining him according to its will, but
      rather sees that men, in so far as they realize their intuitive ideas,
      pursue only their own human ends. Moreover, each individual pursues his own
      particular ends. For the world of ideas comes to expression, not in a
      community of men, but only in human individuals. What appears as the common
      goal of a whole group of people is only the result of the separate acts of
      will of its individual members, and in fact, usually of a few outstanding
      ones who, as their authorities, are followed by the others. Each one of us
      has it in him to be a free spirit, just as every rose bud has in it a rose."
      - Die Philosophie der Freiheit 1894, GA #4: kap. 10: Freiheitsphilosophie
      und Monismus.

      This anarchosophy also comes to expression in "The Book of Revelation and
      the Work of the Priest" (GA 346 ). First, let me quote a passage from the
      apocalypse (in the KJV):

      "And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon
      him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and
      make war. His eyes were as a flame of fire, and on his head were many
      crowns; and he had a name written, that no man knew, but he himself. And he
      was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word
      of God. And the armies which were in heaven followed him upon white horses,
      clothed in fine linen, white and clean. And out of his mouth goeth a sharp
      sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them
      with a rod of iron: and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and
      wrath of Almighty God. And he hath on his vesture and on his thigh a name
      written, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS. And I saw an angel standing in
      the sun; and he cried with a loud voice, saying to all the fowls that fly
      in the midst of heaven, Come and gather yourselves together unto the supper
      of the great God; That ye may eat the flesh of kings, and the flesh of
      captains, and the flesh of mighty men, and the flesh of horses, and of them
      that sit on them, and the flesh of all men, both free and bond, both small
      and great. And I saw the beast, and the kings of the earth, and their
      armies, gathered together to make war against him that sat on the horse,
      and against his army. And the beast was taken, and with him the false
      prophet that wrought miracles before him, with which he deceived them that
      had received the mark of the beast, and them that worshipped his image.
      These both were cast alive into a lake of fire burning with brimstone. And
      the remnant were slain with the sword of him that sat upon the horse, which
      sword proceeded out of his mouth: and all the fowls were filled with their
      flesh."
      - Revelation 19: 11 - 21

      No wonder biblical texts like this one awaken murderous hawks and Religious
      Right conservatives, the fire-and-brimstone people. It looks like heavenly
      fascism, doesn't it, especially the bit about the "King of Kings and Lord
      of Lords"? Think again. What Rudolf Steiner arrives at here is not heavenly
      fascism, but its opposite: Divine anarchism, anarchosophy. Let's first
      check out Steiner's understanding of "His eyes were as a flame of fire, and
      on his head were many crowns; and he had a name written, that no man knew,
      but he himself." Here is an excerpt from Lecture 10 in the
      apocalypse-priests cycle (Dornach 14 September 1924, GA 346):

      In older languages the self was not specifically designated, for it was
      contained within the verb. The 'I' was not directly mentioned. The verb was
      used to show what one was doing, and this was what indicated that one was
      speaking about oneself. It only came about in later times that the human
      being gave his self a name, and in our German language that name contains
      the initials of Jesus Christ, which is an important symbolic fact. [Iesus
      Christus: I CH]

      [Tarjei comments:
      In English, the name for the self is the very vowel of Christ, and in
      French, it's the first two letters in Jesus. The same may be the case in
      Danish-Norwegian although a 'g' is added: "Jeg".]

      Steiner continues:

      If we take this fact of a language having a name that each of us can only
      apply to himself, and we further intensify this fact, we come to what is
      now said in the Book of Revelation: The one who descends from the
      supersensible world has a name written on him which he not only speaks
      solely for himself but which only he and he alone can understand; noe one
      else can comprehend it.

      Think of the bringer of the revelation going to John and showing him the
      prophetic picture depicting what will one day come about for humanity, the
      picture of the One who comes down in the future, the One who has the name
      only he alone can understand. What can all this possibly mean? It appears
      to be meaningless when you first make an honest attempt at understanding
      it. Why does it say: '... he who is to bring healing to the world, he who
      is to bring justice to the world' as the Book of Revelation puts it (Rev.
      19:11), 'he who makes faith and knowledge true', as the Book puts it, not
      what some translations say: 'he that was called faithful and true'. This is
      like a game of hide and seek. And what does it mean that he has a name
      written that only he understands? We are encouraged by this to ask more
      probing questions.

      Let us think of this quite graphically: He bears a name that he alone
      understands. How can we participate in this name? This name must gain some
      meaning for us, it must be able to live in us. How can this come about?
      When the being who understands this name becomes one with our own self,
      enters into our own self, then within us this being will understand the
      name and with him we shall understand it too, for then with him in us we
      shall always be conscious of 'Christ in us'.

      He alone understands the things that are connected with his being, but it
      is in us that he understands them; and the light that streams out in us
      through his understanding - because in us, in our own being he becomes this
      light - this gives the insight of the Christ-Being in our own self. It
      becomes an indwelling insight, an insight that dwells within the human being.

      Something has now taken place. First of all, what has taken place is a
      necessary and intended consequence of the Mystery of Golgotha. This Being
      who has gone through the Mystery of Golgotha, this Being who must enter
      into us, so that we shall comprehend the world with *his* understanding,
      not with our understanding, this Being wears a garment that is sprinkled
      with the blood of Golgotha. So now we take this second picture. John the
      apocalyptist tells us that this garment sprinkled with the blood of
      golgotha also has a name. It is not the name we were speaking of just now.
      The name of this garment sprinkled with blood is the Logos of God, the
      Logos, the God, the Word of God. (Rev. 19:13) The One, therefore, who is to
      dwell in us and who through his own understanding within us is to give us
      the light that comprehends the world, this One fills us with the Word of God.

      The pagan peoples used to read the Word of God in the phenomena of nature.
      They had to receive it through external revelations. Christians must
      receive the creative Word of God by taking Christ into themselves. A time
      will come when events will have proceeded to a stage when all human beings
      who honestly take Christianity into their souls will know that the Word of
      God is with Christ and that this Word of God has its origin in our
      understanding of the Mystery of Golgotha and of the garment sprinkled with
      blood. In the language of the apocalyptist, Christ is embedded within the
      Mystery of Golgotha.

      But there is a third aspect as well. Christ in three guises: once through
      himself, then through his garment, and thirdly through the deeds he
      accomplishes for human beings on earth. This is a description of a
      situation that must come about, although one can of course not name a
      specific year when this will happen; but it is something towards which
      Christian development must strive. The third thing towards which attention
      is drawn is a sword with which he works; it is the sword of his will, the
      sword of the deeds he accomplishes on the earth amongst human beings
      through the fact that he dwells within them. What he now does bears the
      third name: King of all Kings, Lord of all Lords. This is the third guise.
      What is the nature of a king, the nature of a lord?

      If we get to know the essential inner meaning of the Latin word *dominus*
      we shall discover what language itself means in this instance, qute apart
      from what spiritual science has to say: A lord is someone on the earth or
      in the world who has been chosen to point the direction for another. How
      long will outer lords be needed on the earth? How long will the
      commandments of outer lords be needed, even the commandments of those who
      are outer spiritual lords of the earth? They will be needed only until the
      moment when Christ, with the name that none but he understands, shall dwell
      within the human being. Then every human being will be able to follow
      Christ in his own being, in his own soul. Then everyone will strive to
      realize *that* in himself which desires to realize the will of the human
      being out of inner love. Then will the Lord of Lords, the King of Kings
      live in each individual.

      Seen spiritually, this is the time in which we ourselves are now living.
      The fact that we are living in this time is merely disguised by the way
      human beings continue to live in their old ways, denying as much as they
      can in every field the fact that the Christ now dwells in them."

      - "The Book of Revelation and the Work of the Priest" (Lecture 10, Dornach
      14 Sept 1924, GA 346 )

      What Rudolf Steiner has done here is to demonstrate that the message of
      Anarchosophy, or Divine Anarchism if you like, is embedded in John's
      apocalypse. This lends further credence to my own words from the 1996
      article "Anthropos Anarchos":

      "The innumerable gods are man's creators, but they have now withdrawn their
      authority so that we shall become mature and self-dependent enough to make
      it on our own. The gods are in other words anarchists. The free spirit in
      man, the anarchist soul, is the goal and purpose of creation. "

      Or as RS put it in the 10th chapter of the PoF:

      "Jeder von uns ist berufen zum freien Geiste, wie jeder Rosenkeim berufen
      ist, Rose zu werden."

      Peter Staudenmaier, who considers himself an anarchist, scoffs at all this.
      His rejection of Anarchosophy is something he has in common with
      anthro-fascists, anthro-hawks (like Starman). He is a member of an
      organization, or of many organizations, with a heavy political agenda. PS
      travels extensively giving interviews, making presentations, recruiting
      converts to the cause of worker co-operatives, housing co-operatives,
      self-employment, LETS schemes, alternative currencies, mutual banking,
      credit unions, tenants committees, food co-operatives, allotments, oluntary
      organizations, [so-called] peaceful protest, and [so-called] non-violent
      direct action. They call it anarchist activity that build the elements of a
      new society.

      In other words, Peter S. should have his hands full. So why does he invest
      so much time and energy in fighting against anthroposophy? Probably because
      it's a threat to a political agenda that in the end delivers tyranny
      instead of liberty (because of its Marxist understrappings). That's why
      it's important to spread this slanderous dirt about anthroposophy that PS
      *knows* to be untrue. So it's politically motivated, but this may be
      working in the subconscious with PS. He is so busy trying to read
      anthroposophists' understanding of their 'I' that he loses sight of his own.

      Cheers,

      Tarjei
      http://uncletaz.com/
    • Mike Helsher
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1, 2004

        Tarjei quoting RS:

        they will be needed only until the
        moment when Christ, with the name that none but he understands, shall dwell
        within the human being. Then every human being will be able to follow
        Christ in his own being, in his own soul. Then everyone will strive to
        realize *that* in himself which desires to realize the will of the human
        being out of inner love. Then will the Lord of Lords, the King of Kings
        live in each individual.
        Mike: Glorious....Absolutely Glorious!

        RS:
        Seen spiritually, this is the time in which we ourselves are now living.
        The fact that we are living in this time is merely disguised by the way
        human beings continue to live in their old ways, denying as much as they
        can in every field the fact that the Christ now dwells in them."

        Mike: It's those damn trees man...

        Tarjei:
[...]

        Mike:

        Don't forget Empathy! He told me that he uses Empathy in his "historical" research. I guess though that it's one thing to have empathy for your own bias understanding of textural analysis, and something completely different to actually have empathy for a human being...

        But what do I know...

      • golden3000997@cs.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 1, 2004
          Y'know what's REALLY FUNNY about all of this!! These people are doing
          everything possible to prepare themselves for their next incarnation to be
          Anthroposophists!!!

          What's even FUNNIER is that, because of their negativity - THEY get to be the
          WALDORF TEACHERS!!!!! (or whatever it has evolved into by that time) And WE
          get to be their kids!!!!!

          WHOA!!! I want to be in Tarjei, Mike and Bradford's class!! (along with Jan,
          Danny, Harvey, Joel, Paulina, Dottie, Kim, Andrea (who am I forgetting?
          Sorry!)!

          Boy, aren't WE gonna give our teachers a HARD TIME!!! LOL!!! (Fits of
          hysterics!!)
        • Tarjei Straume
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 1, 2004
            At 19:58 01.02.2004, Christine wrote:

            >Y'know what's REALLY FUNNY about all of this!! These people are doing
            >everything possible to prepare themselves for their next incarnation to be
            >Anthroposophists!!!
            >
            >What's even FUNNIER is that, because of their negativity - THEY get to be the
            >WALDORF TEACHERS!!!!! (or whatever it has evolved into by that time) And WE
            >get to be their kids!!!!!
            >
            >WHOA!!! I want to be in Tarjei, Mike and Bradford's class!! (along with Jan,
            >Danny, Harvey, Joel, Paulina, Dottie, Kim, Andrea (who am I forgetting?
            >Sorry!)!
            >
            >Boy, aren't WE gonna give our teachers a HARD TIME!!! LOL!!! (Fits of
            >hysterics!!)

            Yeah, 8-year old future Tarjei, probably a girl, holds up her hand to ask
            her lady Waldorf teacher who spent her last incarnation as Dan Dugan if she
            can go to the bathroom before they all sing a hymn to the sun. The teacher
            sits down on her chair which is full of chalk after the mischievous pranks
            of another 8-year-old girl who used to be Bradford. One of the boys is
            passing around notes of a dubious kind - he used to be Christine.

            Wouldn't that be something - can't wait :)

            Chuckles,

            Tarjei
            http://uncletaz.com/
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 16, 2008
              Here is a sneak peak at an excerpt from the tenth lecture in GA 346,
              being posted here very soon:

              ***************************************

              "King of all Kings, Lord of all Lords. This is the third guise. What
              is the nature of a king, the nature of a lord?

              If we get to know the essential inner meaning of the Latin word
              dominus we shall discover what language itself means in this instance,
              quite apart from what spiritual science has to say: A lord is someone
[...]
              much as they can in every field the fact that Christ now dwells in
              them. It has to be said that there is much in many human beings that
              is preparing them in the right way for the etheric appearance of
              Christ, who is of course a being descending from the divine world. But
              people must prepare for this by finding the wellspring of their
              actions and deeds within themselves.

              ***************************************

              Comment: This is one way to explain some of the difference between
              anarchism and anthroposophy: An anarchist, at least in the external,
              political sense that is best known, wishes to enforce a social
              structure free from authority upon his surroundings, upon other
              people. An anarchosophist, on the other hand, simply has no ruler or
              leader, and he ows his obedience to nobody. He is the homeless outlaw,
              the indefatigable unarmed, non-violent insurgent whose revolution is
              not directed at external rule, but at the rulership of his own soul
              (Kyrios in Greek), where his ascendance to the throne makes external
              authority superfluous, redundant, useless. He is usually forbidden to
              speak or write by the authorities because his ideas are considered
              seditious, unpatriotic, and very dangerous. And if anyone asks him who
              gives himn the right to be an outlaw in blatant disregard for rulers
              and leaders, he'll say: "Not I, but Christ in me."

              So don't follow leaders and watch the parking meters.