Re: Fwd: Re: [anthroposophy_tomorrow] Re: "*we* who must hold the beam in equipoise"

    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 30, 2005

      > Gee, Frank, I thought you was never going to ask,
      > eh!!How long do I have to stay quiet for you to
      > notice???
      > Anyway. I haven't gone anywhere nor "elsewhere". Just
      > been a bit bored with the Waldorf blab, you know.

      You're right as rain, as usual, Grisy luv. It's been raining blab around
      here recently, and I regret to say that I have participated.

      It's
      > not interesting to me cause I already have my opinion
      > on that issue and it's not going to change. For two
      > reasons:
      > First, I'm hard headed as hell.
      > Second, I'm not a democracy but a total dictatorship.
      > My laws/views are set in stones by "moi" and no one
      > is moving them while I'm in charge. Which I intend to
      > be until I check out.
      > Know what, maybe items first and second mean exactly
      > the same thing? Well who cares.
      > Oh I read what Jennifer and Simone wrote on the
      > Akashicstuff, I saw my name was in there (thanks,
      > gals.:)). If my name is in something I read it,
      > because besides being hard headed I am totally
      > self-centered.
      > And of course I always read your messages, Frank
      > dahling. I'm kahmically bound to do so, as we both
      > know.
      > Now if you say something I may say something.
      > Otherwise I'll stick to "real life", even though real
      > life lately has been like going up shit creek without
      > a paddle.
      > Love,
      > Griselda

      Well, what can I say? I will gladly expound on any subject you like, whether
      I know anything about it or not - except Waldorf, which is, as Your Guruness
      has pointed out, boring as hell.
      Besos,
      Frank
    • Griselda Andersen
      Message 2 of 12 , May 1, 2005
        --- > --- In ,
        > "Frank Thomas Smith"
        > wrote:
        >

        >On the other hand, dictatorial though it may be, you
        >opinion about Waldorf
        >education might be interesting to some around here.

        It's too elaborate and complex and I have no time to
        write about it, the 350th Simpson's episode is just
        starting. I have a short opinion on Atlanta, though:
        can a place be cooler? Now there's even a kidnapping
        turned into runaway bride soap opera going on. I love
        it, Hotlanta.

        > > > Well, what can I say? I will gladly expound on
        any
        > subject you like,
        > whether
        > I know anything about it or not -

        Frankie dear, you may not realize it, but Herr
        Holderlin has been dying to hear these same words from
        you for ages, you know. And now you say them to me.
        He'll be so upset. I even feel like asking you to talk
        about something he would like to hear you talking
        about. Just so that he won't hate me. Problem is, I
        can't think of anything. Let's see. Think think
        think...ok, how about sentient souls? Can you talk
        about them? I was told several times in this list I am
        one, so what the heck. You can start by letting me
        know if I am really one or not. Then, tell me if
        there's any prize involved if I am. Then go from there
        in more general, abstract terms. Something like that.

        Love,
        Griselda

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Jennifer
        Message 3 of 12 , May 4, 2005
          A tyranny of one, you say?

          Nice to "see" you again, Gris!
          I'm here, too, reading quietly.

          ;)

          Cheers,
          Jennifer

          P.S. Hey, you can write me offlist anytime, yaknow?
          Sorry to hear "real life" is troublesome these days.

          Griselda Andersen wrote:

          > I'm not a democracy but a total dictatorship.
        • hatscaps66
          Message 4 of 12 , May 4, 2005
            Thanks, Jennifer! :)
            Yeah I'm mostly quiet too. This WC X WE thing is truly boring to me.
            But here is a quote just because:
            "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from
            mediocre minds". Albert Einstein
            You know what I mean. :)
            Cheers,
            Griselda

            Message 5 of 12 , May 5, 2005
              Griselda, I'm speechless so will just let
              Bob do the talking for me. (Your reference
              to Einstein reminded me of this song.)

              See ya,
              Jennifer

              Desolation Row

              They're selling postcards of the hanging
              They're painting the passports brown
              The beauty parlor is filled with sailors
              The circus is in town
              Here comes the blind commissioner
              They've got him in a trance
              One hand is tied to the tight-rope walker
              The other is in his pants
              And the riot squad they're restless
              They need somewhere to go
              As Lady and I look out tonight
              From Desolation Row

              Cinderella, she seems so easy
              "It takes one to know one," she smiles
              And puts her hands in her back pockets
              Bette Davis style
              And in comes Romeo, he's moaning
              "You Belong to Me I Believe"
              And someone says," You're in the wrong place, my friend
              You better leave"
              And the only sound that's left
              After the ambulances go
              Is Cinderella sweeping up
              On Desolation Row

              Now the moon is almost hidden
              The stars are beginning to hide
              The fortunetelling lady
              Has even taken all her things inside
              All except for Cain and Abel
              And the hunchback of Notre Dame
              Everybody is making love
              Or else expecting rain
              And the Good Samaritan, he's dressing
              He's getting ready for the show
              He's going to the carnival tonight
              On Desolation Row

              Now Ophelia, she's 'neath the window
              For her I feel so afraid
              On her twenty-second birthday
              She already is an old maid

              To her, death is quite romantic
              She wears an iron vest
              Her profession's her religion
              Her sin is her lifelessness
              And though her eyes are fixed upon
              Noah's great rainbow
              She spends her time peeking
              Into Desolation Row

              Einstein, disguised as Robin Hood
              With his memories in a trunk
              Passed this way an hour ago
              With his friend, a jealous monk
              He looked so immaculately frightful
              As he bummed a cigarette
              Then he went off sniffing drainpipes
              And reciting the alphabet
              Now you would not think to look at him
              But he was famous long ago
              For playing the electric violin
              On Desolation Row

              Dr. Filth, he keeps his world
              Inside of a leather cup
              But all his sexless patients
              They're trying to blow it up
              Now his nurse, some local loser
              She's in charge of the cyanide hole
              And she also keeps the cards that read
              "Have Mercy on His Soul"
              They all play on penny whistles
              You can hear them blow
              If you lean your head out far enough
              From Desolation Row

              Across the street they've nailed the curtains
              They're getting ready for the feast
              The Phantom of the Opera
              A perfect image of a priest
              They're spoonfeeding Casanova
              To get him to feel more assured
              Then they'll kill him with self-confidence
              After poisoning him with words

              And the Phantom's shouting to skinny girls
              "Get Outa Here If You Don't Know
              Casanova is just being punished for going
              To Desolation Row"

              Now at midnight all the agents
              And the superhuman crew
              Come out and round up everyone
              That knows more than they do
              Then they bring them to the factory
              Where the heart-attack machine
              Is strapped across their shoulders
              And then the kerosene
              Is brought down from the castles
              By insurance men who go
              Check to see that nobody is escaping
              To Desolation Row

              Praise be to Nero's Neptune
              The Titanic sails at dawn
              And everybody's shouting
              "Which Side Are You On?"
              And Ezra Pound and T. S. Eliot
              Fighting in the captain's tower
              While calypso singers laugh at them
              And fishermen hold flowers
              Between the windows of the sea
              Where lovely mermaids flow
              And nobody has to think too much
              About Desolation Row

              Yes, I received your letter yesterday
              (About the time the door knob broke)
              When you asked how I was doing
              Was that some kind of joke?
              All these people that you mention
              Yes, I know them, they're quite lame
              I had to rearrange their faces
              And give them all another name
              Right now I can't read too good
              Don't send me no more letters no
              Not unless you mail them
              From Desolation Row

              Copyright © 1965; renewed 1993 Special Rider Music

              hatscaps66 wrote:

              > Thanks, Jennifer! :)
              > Yeah I'm mostly quiet too. This WC X WE thing is truly boring to
              me.
              > But here is a quote just because:
              > "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from
              > mediocre minds". Albert Einstein
              > You know what I mean. :)
              > Cheers,
              > Griselda
            • Tarjei Straume
              Message 6 of 12 , May 5, 2005
                Jennifer, you're awesome! You're posting my absolute favorite of all Bob
                Dylan songs! No snipping this time!

                Cheers,

                Tarjei

                Message 7 of 12 , May 6, 2005
                  I only just recently bought his album, Highway 61 Revisited.
                  Bob SEES things, and his humor keeps me sane. ;) I love this,
                  from the notes he wrote for this album: "we are singing today
                  of the WIPE-OUT GANG - the WIPE-OUT GANG buys, owns & operates
                  the Insanity Factory - if you do not know where the Insanity
                  Factory is located, you should hereby take two steps to the
                  right, paint your teeth & go to sleep...." I LOVE BOB!!!

                  Cheers,
                  Jennifer

                  cyberuncle wrote:

                  > Jennifer, you're awesome! You're posting my absolute
                  > favorite of all Bob Dylan songs! No snipping this time!
                  >
                  > Cheers,
                  >
                  > Tarjei
                • Tarjei Straume
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 6, 2005
                    At 18:08 06.05.2005, Jennifer wrote:

                    >I only just recently bought his album, Highway 61 Revisited.
                    >Bob SEES things, and his humor keeps me sane. ;) I love this,
                    >from the notes he wrote for this album: "we are singing today
                    >of the WIPE-OUT GANG - the WIPE-OUT GANG buys, owns & operates
                    >the Insanity Factory - if you do not know where the Insanity
                    >Factory is located, you should hereby take two steps to the
                    >right, paint your teeth & go to sleep...." I LOVE BOB!!!

                    Yep, that album is packed with dynamite. It took me a long time to realize
                    that "Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues" was based upon William Burrough's "Naked
                    Lunch," which was floating around at that time before it was finally
                    published. My guess is that Bob got a copy from Allan Ginsburg, Burrough's
                    former lover in New York City. When Ginsburgh broke up with Burroughs, the
                    latter hit the skids in Paris and somewhere in Africa, shooting up and
                    writing, but always standing up in spite of it all and strangely reaching a
                    very ripe old age. The last verse says it all:

                    I started out on burgundy
                    But soon hit the harder stuff
                    Everybody said they'd stand behind me
                    When the game got rough
                    But the joke was on me
                    There was nobody even there to call my bluff
                    I'm going back to New York City
                    I do believe I've had enough

                    Tarjei
                  • Jennifer
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 7, 2005
                      Hi, Tarjei!

                      I didn't know that, about "Naked Lunch." Cool.
                      Well, I just happened to stumble across this:
                      http://www.interferenza.com/bcs/interw/play78.htm
                      Don't know whether you've seen it before.

                      Cheers,
                      Jennifer

                      You wrote:

                      > Yep, that album is packed with dynamite. It took me a long time to
                      realize
                      > that "Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues" was based upon William
                      Burrough's "Naked
                      > Lunch," which was floating around at that time before it was
                      finally
                      > published. My guess is that Bob got a copy from Allan Ginsburg,
                      Burrough's
                      > former lover in New York City. When Ginsburgh broke up with
                      Burroughs, the
                      > latter hit the skids in Paris and somewhere in Africa, shooting up
                      and
                      > writing, but always standing up in spite of it all and strangely
                      reaching a
                      > very ripe old age. The last verse says it all:
                      >
                      > I started out on burgundy
                      > But soon hit the harder stuff
                      > Everybody said they'd stand behind me
                      > When the game got rough
                      > But the joke was on me
                      > There was nobody even there to call my bluff
                      > I'm going back to New York City
                      > I do believe I've had enough
                      >
                      > Tarjei
                    • Tarjei Straume
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 8, 2005
                        At 05:12 08.05.2005, Jennifer wrote:

                        >Hi, Tarjei!
                        >
                        >I didn't know that, about "Naked Lunch." Cool.
                        >Well, I just happened to stumble across this:
                        >http://www.interferenza.com/bcs/interw/play78.htm
                        >Don't know whether you've seen it before.

                        No I havent, although I was reading Playboy occasionally back then, in the
                        seventies. No wait, this interview is from 1978, and I didn't read much
                        Playboy between 1976 and December 1980, with the John and Yoko interview
                        came out, when the news of John's violent death flashed on the screen while
                        I was in the middle of reading it. I remember 1976 because of the Jimmy
                        Carter interview. I feel nostalgic about those PIayboy Interviews, the
                        best! - the "candid conversations" with three photos on the first page and
                        an intro running a page and a half. Never forget the interview with Abbie
                        Hoffman on the run from the FBI and underground - I think that was in 1976
                        too - and he'd had plastic surgery and wore a bandit scarf across his face
                        on those three photos. And John Lennon was so funny - every time he said
                        something wise, he added, "Print that between tits and asses on page 138."

                        I began reading Playboy in the early seventies in London, wow about Phillip
                        Agee, the ex-CIA agent who created a world-wide scandal by blowing the
                        whistle on the agency and its ugly dark secrets, and he had those deadly
                        feds stalking him and breathing down his neck while being interviewed for
                        Playboy in Spain I think it was. Say what you like about Hugh Hefner, but
                        he sure knew how to pick interesting people to be interviewed in the good
                        old days!! Well, a moratorium on my Playboy reading was brought on by my
                        girlfriend from Miami who said, "I don't want you looking at those naked
                        girls!" Oh my, she was the one who introduced me to the magazine and had
                        been reading it for years, and now she didn't want me to look at it! Henry
                        Higgins: "Women are irrational, that's all there is to that...."

                        Anyway, I read through the 1978 Playboy Interview with Bob Dylan, and I
                        thank you for posting the link to it. I can tell it's been scanned
                        privately, because there are a lot of periods missing. You have to put most
                        of them back in when you edit.

                        I didn't know BD was involved in so many movie projects in the early days,
                        and I had forgotten that he painted. The only movie I've seen with him was
                        one that took me by surprise a year or two ago, on the TCM channel. All of
                        a sudden, there was Billy the Kid from 1970, with Kris Kristoffersen as
                        Billy, James Coburn as the sheriff chasing him (another favorite movie star
                        of mine who also passed away not too long ago), and Bob Dylan as Billy's
                        nameless sidekick. I really chuckled when they were in this saloon and
                        coburn looks at Dylan's character and asks, "Who are you?" and Dylan
                        replies with a mysterious smile, "Well, that's a good question!"

                        Here are some interesting tidbits:

                        About belief and knowledge (quoted and discussed in a previous post):

                        "I'd say people will always believe in something if they feel it to be
                        true. Just knowing it's true is not enough. If you feel in your gut that
                        it's true, well, then, you can be pretty much assured that it's true."

                        Here is something that kind of stunned me because there was a piece in it
                        that hit right home on a personal level:

                        DYLAN: Well, certain truths I know. Not necessarily myself but a certain
                        accumulation of experience that has become real to me and a knowledge that
                        I acquired on the road.

                        PLAYBOY: And what are those truths?

                        DYLAN: One is that if you try to be anyone but yourself, you will fail; if
                        you are not true to your own heart, you will fail. Then again, there's no
                        success like failure

                        PLAYBOY: And failure's no success at all.

                        DYLAN: Oh, well, we're not looking to succeed. Just by our being and acting
                        alive, we succeed. You fail only when you let death creep in and take over
                        a part of your life that should be alive.

                        PLAYBOY: How does death creep in?

                        DYLAN: Death don't come knocking at the door. It's there in the morning
                        when you wake up.

                        PLAYBOY: How is it there?

                        DYLAN: Did you ever clip your fingernails, cut your hair? Then you
                        experience death.

                        About keys:

                        PLAYBOY: What does a major key generally conjure up for you?

                        DYLAN: I think any major key deals with romance.

                        PLAYBOY: And the minor keys?

                        DYLAN: The supernatural.

                        PLAYBOY: What about other specific keys?

                        DYLAN: I find C major to be the key of strength, but also the key of
                        regret. E major is the key of confidence. A-flat major is the key of
                        renunciation.

                        About Death and the Devil:

                        PLAYBOY: When you're onstage, do you feel the illusion that death can't get
                        you?

                        DYLAN: Death can't get you at all. Death's not here to get anybody. It's
                        the appearance of the Devil, and the Devil is a coward, so knowledge will
                        overcome that.

                        PLAYBOY: What do you mean?

                        DYLAN: The Devil is everything false, the Devil will go as deep as you let
                        the Devil go. You can leave yourself open to that. If you understand what
                        that whole scene is about, you can easily step aside. But if you want the
                        confrontation to begin with, well, there's plenty of it. But then again, if
                        you believe you have a purpose and a mission, and not much time to carry it
                        out, you don't bother about those things.

                        PLAYBOY: Do you think you have a purpose and a mission?

                        DYLAN: Obviously.

                        PLAYBOY: What is it?

                        DYLAN: Henry Miller said it: The role of an artist is to inoculate the
                        world with disillusionment.
                        About belief:

                        "But, getting back to that again, you have to have belief. You must have a
                        purpose. You must believe that you-can disappear through walls. Without
                        that belief, you're not going to become a very good rock singer, or pop
                        singer, or folk-rock singer, or you're not going to become a very good
                        lawyer. Or a doctor. You must know why you're doing what you're doing."

                        (Tarjei:)
                        There you go. Even a scientist needs to have belief.

                        About Jimmy Carter (who was president at the time of the interview):

                        PLAYBOY: Jimmy Carter has said that listening to your songs, he learned to
                        see in a new way the relationship between landlord and tenant, farmer and
                        sharecropper and things like that. He also said that you were his friend.
                        What do you think of all that?

                        DYLAN: I am his friend.

                        PLAYBOY: A personal friend?

                        DYLAN: I know him personally.

                        PLAYBOY: Do you like him?

                        DYLAN: Yeah, I think his heart's in the right place.

                        PLAYBOY: How would you describe that place?

                        DYLAN: The place of destiny. You know, I hope the magazine won't take all
                        this stuff and edit-like, Carter's heart's in the right place of destiny,
                        because it's going to really sound

                        PLAYBOY: No, it would lose the sense of conversation. The magazine's pretty
                        good about that.

                        DYLAN: Carter has his heart in the right place. He has a sense of who he
                        is. That's what I felt, anyway, when I met him.

                        PLAYBOY: Have you met him many times?

                        DYLAN: Only once.

                        PLAYBOY: Stayed at his house?

                        DYLAN: No. But anybody who's a governor or a Senate leader or in a position
                        of authority who finds time to invite a folkrock singer and his band out to
                        his place has got to have . . . a sense of humor . . . and a feeling of the
                        pulse of the people. Why does he have to do it? Most people in those kinds
                        of positions can't relate at all to people in the music field unless it's
                        for some selfish purpose.

                        PLAYBOY: Did you talk about music or politics?

                        DYLAN: Music. Very little politics. The conversation was kept in pretty
                        general areas.

                        PLAYBOY: Does he have any favorite Dylan songs?

                        DYLAN: I didn't ask him if he had any favorite Dylan songs. He didn't say
                        that he did. I think he liked Ballad of a Thin Man, really.

                        PLAYBOY: Did you think that Carter might have been using you by inviting
                        you there?

                        DYLAN: No, I believe that he was a decent, untainted man and he just wanted
                        to check me out.

                        Cheers,

                        Tarjei
                        under the auspices of
                        His Holiness Uncle Taz
                        http://uncletaz.com/

                        "At least two thirds of our miseries spring from human stupidity, human
                        malice and those great motivators and justifiers of malice and stupidity,
                        idealism, dogmatism and proselytizing zeal on behalf of religious or
                        political idols."
                        - Aldous Huxley